GeoCache Pirate Appears to be Back Up & Running

Mark 42

Or whatever you want to call what he does...

http://www.piratecaching.com/

I did manage to get some info...

Registrant:

Domains by Proxy, Inc.

15111 N Hayden Rd., Suite 160

PMB353

Scottsdale, Arizona 85260

United States

Registered through: Cheap Domain Registration

Domain Name: PIRATECACHING.COM

Created on: 16-Aug-03

Expires on: 16-Aug-04

Last Updated on: 20-Aug-03

Administrative Contact:

Private, Registration PIRATECACHING.COM@domainsbyproxy.com

Domains by Proxy, Inc.

PMB353

United States

(480) 624-2599 Fax --

Technical Contact:

Private, Registration PIRATECACHING.COM@domainsbyproxy.com

Domains by Proxy, Inc.

PMB353

United States

(480) 624-2599 Fax --

Domain servers in listed order:

NS1.SHIELDHOST.COM

NS2.SHIELDHOST.COM

[This message was edited by Mark 42 on September 04, 2003 at 11:20 AM.]

quote:
Breaktrack wrote:

Yes, but the operative term is *GOOD* pirate story.....lol.

Yes, Breaktrack, you are correct. It must have a balance of all the right qualities.

Who knows? Perhaps this one will end up being full of excitement, adventure, and mayhem. But then again, we've never had a 'good' forum pirate so chances are, that it won't happen here either. Just take a look at this guys name -- he calls himself 'Captain' or 'Cap'n'. How lame is that? I've previously posted the following in another forum, but I think you'll agree that it's appropriate to re-post it here (just in case the 'Cap'n' missed it):

<snip>

How the heck is a pirate to be remembered or taken seriously if he doesn't have a name that rings of terror? I mean really -- how *threatening* is "Cap'n"? My grandmother could beat the crap out of a name like that.

To be a real menace, a pirate needs to be feared -- he needs a name that the mere whisper of it makes one shudder -- something like, "The Evil Captain Flint", "Rotten Richard McFallon", "Black Beard" or "Dread Pirate Roberts". Those name work, heck I got a little shiver just typing them.

You can't be a real pirate if you don't have a memorable and fearsome name. I've heard that it's a pirate story rule in some countries.

And another thing, what's with the single name thing? Sounds to me that's he trying to be the 'Madonna' or maybe even the 'Prince' of the pirate scene? How stupid. A Madonna pirate -- give me a break. Pirate's are supposed to be tough.

Cap'n?!? Ha ha ha. I'm shaking in my blue suede doubloons!

</snip>

Having seen both the old and the new site, it looks to me like The Captain has tempered his looting stance. In various places, he's added rules for looting:

quote:
1. Leave the log book.

2. Leave the container.

3. Don't destroy the stuff, re-hide it and leave a map in the case so they be- able to find the loot. (this be my new plan.)

4. Leave a Pirate toy for the little hooligans to find.

And he emphasized leaving something for the kids:

quote:
We shall leave a small pirate figure, some polished glass beads and other assorted treasures for the little hooligans.

Next time we be go'n loot'n I be keep'n the little hooligans in mind with a wee bit of treasure.. so they won't be cry'n.

One of Pepper's caches has already been returned. I'm on the fence about whether piratecaching.com is a bad thing, or if it adds a fun new twist to the game.

WWJD? JW RTFM.

quote:
travisl wrote:

The Captain has tempered his looting stance. In various places, he's added rules for looting:

Well, it's like all good things -- it takes time to cultivate the guidelines.

Obviously, the Captain has listened to what the people's concerns are and has re-evaluated his position -- he is making efforts to please the people, and his crew.

quote:
travisl wrote:

I'm on the fence about whether piratecaching.com is a bad thing, or if it adds a fun new twist to the game.

I'll bet that it would be a lot easier for you to decide if the 'Captain' didn't have such a whimpy name.

http://www.jazz2online.com/spiffyjuice/pikz/pirates.mp3

http://www.ultimateveggie.com/sounds/ep07/pirates.wav

Narrator: "Joining Larry are Pa Grape and Mr. Lunt,

who together make up the infamous gang of scalliwags,

the Pirates Who Don't Do Anything!"

Larry, Pa, Mr. Lunt: "We are the Pirates Who Don't Do

Anything! We just stay home and lie around. And if you

ask us to do anything, we'll just tell you ..."

Larry: "We don't do anything!"

Pa: "Well, I've never been Greenland and I've never

been to Denver, and I've never buried treasure in

St. Louis or St. Paul, and I've never been to Moscow

and I've never been to Tampa, and I've never been to

Boston in the fall."

All: "'Cuz we're the Pirates Who Don't Do Anything!

We just stay home and lie around. And if you ask us

to do anything, we'll just tell you..."

Mr. Lunt: "We don't do anything... And I never hoist

the mainstay and I never swab the poop deck, and I

never veer to starboard 'cuz I never sail at all, and

I've never walked the gang plank and I've never owned

a parrot, and I've never been to Boston in the fall."

All: "'Cuz we're the Pirates Who Don't Do Anything!

We just stay at home and lie around. And if you ask us

to do anything, we'll just tell you... We don't do anything!"

Larry: "Well, I've never plucked a rooster and I'm not

too good at ping-pong, and I've never thrown my mashed

potatoes up against the wall, and I've never kissed a

chipmunk and I've never gotten head lice, and I've never

been to Boston in the fall!"

Pa: "Huh? What are you talking about? What's a rooster and

mashed potatoes have to do with being a pirate??"

Mr. Lunt: "Hey, that's right! We're supposed to sing about

pirate-y things!"

Larry: "Oh ..."

Pa: "And who ever kissed a chipmunk? That's just nonsense!

Why even bring it up? Am I right? What do you think?"

Mr. Lunt: "I think you look like Cap'n Crunch!"

Pa: "Huh? No I don't!"

Mr. Lunt: "Do too."

Pa: "Do not!"

Mr. Lunt: "You're making me hungry."

Pa: "That's it, you're walkin' the plank!"

Mr. Lunt: "Says who?"

Pa: "Says the captain, that's who!"

Mr. Lunt: "Oh, yeah? Aye aye, Cap'n Crunch!"

Larry: "And I've never licked a spark plug and I've never

sniffed a stink bug, and I've never painted daisies on a

big red rubber ball, and I've never bathed in yogurt and I

don't look good in leggings ..."

Pa: "You just don't get it!"

All: "And we've never been to Boston in the fall!"

"I'm not Responsible... just ask my wife, She'll confirm it"

[This message was edited by Mark 42 on September 05, 2003 at 08:43 AM.]

But, you don't give yourself the ominous name. You earn it. Others give you the name.

Of course, given that he's not that bad of a pirate, maybe "Capt'n Not So Dreadful," "Capt'n Agreeable," or "Capt'n Kiddee Cache?"

CR

Dire Cachelord of The Lowcountry <- oh, wait just broke the first rule of nicknames!

72057_2000.gif

quote:
Sissy-n-CR wrote:

But, you don't give yourself the ominous name. You earn it. Others give you the name.

I don't think that rule applies with pirates. It is indeed true of nicknames but I think there's a lot more latitude given with pirate names. Although, having said that, a name bestowed upon a pirate would probably be quite acceptable.

quote:
Of course, given that he's not that bad of a pirate, maybe "Capt'n Not So Dreadful," "Capt'n Agreeable," or "Capt'n Kiddee Cache?"
I'm not sure that he's not "bad". He's certainly not good at being a menacing pirate, so that would make him a bad pirate, wouldn't it?

How about "Captain Deplorable?" Doesn't the sound of that get your timbers shivering?

Captain Deplorable -- Ooooh... I like it. icon_eek.gif

There is a pretty good chance I may know who the pirate is. I've know for a couple of weeks. The trouble is getting this person to confirm it. (No denial so far either.)

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

I read some of Captain Bloodfist's message board. Another cacher posted that they got their loot back, and in better condition than before and actually thanked the guy for something. And said he wasn't so bad after all. Perhaps he is trying to spin off a new game. Apparently he is taking the stuff from the container and moving it elsewhere leaving a map or coords to the next one. Why all the talk about removing geolitter from parks and calling or e-mailing the land managers and telling them where caches are hidden, I don't know. Schizophrenia, perhaps? I'm just glad they are over there, not over here. Yet anyway. But it doesn't sound like much fun ruining the days of others, who perhaps planned a nice geo-outing with the family only to find out it's been plundered. Kids will be kids. It has to be kids, no self respecting adult would deliberately make people mad......would they?

Cache you later,

Planet

So many caches, so little time.

As far as I can see, he isn't doing much different than an ordinary cacher does. Relocating stuff? That's what we do. Providing a map? Also, what we do. Different way of going about it, but what he's doing is more personalized if you really consider it.

--------------------

This space for rent! Ask about our easy layaway plan!

Well it didn't seem too hard to find out who the pirate is (allegedly). Follow the captain's link to his Ebay auction and take a look at the screenshot of the software he is selling. Look closely at the name on the copyright. Or look here

rb59.com is the url where the picture is hosted

Registrant:

Robert Benjamin (RB24-DOM)

RR #2 Box 131B

Wysox, PA 18854

US

Domain Name: RB59.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:

Sarver, Hillard (HS955) hsarver@SOSBBS.COM

Sarver's Output Services

RR 1 BOX 253G

MONROETON, PA 18832-9629

US

717-364-5066 fax: 717-364-7015

Record expires on 06-Jul-2004.

Record created on 19-Sep-2002.

Database last updated on 4-Sep-2003 23:10:53 EDT.

Domain servers in listed order:

EXCELSIOR.SOSBBS.COM 216.37.208.31

WEBFTP.SOSBBS.COM 216.37.208.33

Of course, it could just mean that they are totally different people and the pirate is just selling the other guy's software.

Oh yeah, Arrrr!

[This message was edited by cachew nut on September 04, 2003 at 08:23 PM.]

Now that we know who Mr Benjamin is, we can also find out where he lives. I believe tarring and feathering was a punishment used long ago. Since he's so into the pirate scene, perhaps we can use that ancient method of punishment icon_wink.gif

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

Before ye start lookin to 'ave the pirate walk the plank, ye better make fer certain that ye gots the right scurvy dog. Seems that the booty 'as gone missin' from the Washington area. This 'ere Mr. Benjamin is from Pennsylvania. Last time I checked, PA was nowhere near the likes of WA.

All pirate identity talk aside, I see that the Captain has been keeping an eye on the discussion here. Seems he doesn't like some of the names that he's been given here. This is from his bulletin board:

<snip>

Subject: Me Captains Name

------------------------------------------

Arrr,

I be seein that ye be callin me funny Captain names on yer Caching pages. So If ye all be so smart then give me some good names to call meself. (please keep it Pg-13) Arrrr!!!!

Like CAPT'N POOPYHEAD

thanks woof & lulu

</snip>

So now he's crying into his rum. Captain Poopyhead -- Ha ha ha. Oooh, me timbers are a shiverin'. And he calls himself a pirate. He's a disgrace to all who have flown the skull and crossbones, I should think.

Hey Cap'n -- are you still going for that Madonna of the pirates with the single name thing? Ha ha ha.

quote:
Originally posted by pnew:

why does that site look so much like this site made by PaulAg??

http://geocacherssociety.com/

this site has too many similarities with that pirate site... what does this mean???

It means that they both used the same hunk-o-junk software (M$ FrontPage) to create their sites. That "look" is one of their "themes".

REAL web developers use vi. icon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gif

--

Pehmva!

Random quote:

sigimage.php

So I'm sitting here reading this thread, I am not up on pirate lore, and I've had a few beers. Then, for no discernible reason, the name Captain Kangaroo enters my mind. I don't remember him as a pirate, but it seems like a fitting name to me. Silly and child friendly. I'm giving this guy's intentions the benefit of the doubt for now at least.

Since he reads this, I will ask that he take the listings of travel bug numbers off of his page. If he wants people to be able to look them up here, the name is enough. If he doesn't understand why I ask that he do this, he can email me and I'll explain it to him.

pokeanim3.gif

Captain Fluffypants?

Sorry. I needed a laugh.

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

quote:
Originally posted by TBismine:

ARRRR!!!!! You shall never know we might be.http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/6/pirat.gif

Your eye-patched smiley needs to have a fearsome grimace, not the pouty frown.

--------------------

This space for rent! Ask about our easy layaway plan!

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

...really I see that he has hurt nobody. I have seen worse...

Except that some people go to great lengths to find a good place to put a cache, and don't take kindly to having someone move or otherwise alter it.

[This message was edited by Mark 42 on September 05, 2003 at 09:40 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by travisl:

Having seen both the old and the new site, it looks to me like The Captain has tempered his looting stance. In various places, he's added rules for looting:

quote:
1. Leave the log book.

2. Leave the container.

3. Don't destroy the stuff, re-hide it and leave a map in the case so they be- able to find the loot. (this be my new plan.)

4. Leave a Pirate toy for the little hooligans to find.

And he emphasized leaving something for the kids:

quote:
We shall leave a small pirate figure, some polished glass beads and other assorted treasures for the little hooligans.

Next time we be go'n loot'n I be keep'n the little hooligans in mind with a wee bit of treasure.. so they won't be cry'n.

One of Pepper's caches has already been returned. I'm on the fence about whether piratecaching.com is a bad thing, or if it adds a fun new twist to the game.

_WWJD? JW RTFM._

Since he seems to have shifted on the tides, I think it's an entertaining twist on the norm!

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

Calling Team 360.

Don't you have an opinion on this thread? I seem to remember having quite a discussion with you about this topic in another thread, and some of the same opinions I expressed there, are being expressed here.

Don't you want to comment?

Pan

Swallow a live toad first thing in the morning, and chances are that nothing worse will happen to you for the rest of the day. - Unknown

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

...really I see that he has hurt nobody. I have seen worse...

I've spent as much as $50 to put together a cache and I'd be pretty miffed if some arsewipe came along and snatched everything.

quote:
Since he seems to have shifted on the tides, I think it's an entertaining twist on the norm!

If you saw his quote about calling geocaches litter, you might think differently. The slime bucket is encouraging others to join him (His page is pending for the Geocaching webring) and your area my be next. Personally, I don't want people screwing with my caches. If one of these scum appears in this area, I'll simply pull the caches. I invest a lot of money, time and effort into placing and maintaining caches for geocachers to find. This guy is playing a different game and I'm not interested in participating.

I really wish everyone took my original advice and ignored him. He'd go away quickly. He's looking for some attention. Many 19 year old boys have way too much time on their hands. If only they didn't raise the drinking age to 21, at least they'd be hanging out in bars looking for chicks, rather than getting their kicks sitting in front of a PC and messing with other people's fun.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on September 06, 2003 at 06:15 AM.]

I invest a lot of money, time and effort into placing and maintaining caches for _geocachers_ to find. This guy is playing a different game and I'm not interested in participating.

I agree someone should not pull and take caches, some of you do spend alot of time and money in placing them. If however he doesn't take the loot but just relocates it and leaves a map to where to find it then I'm on the fence. It could be fun to some and a pain to others depending on what your idea of a cache is. If someone loots the caches and keeps it they are a jacka$$ and we already have plenty of them here that play the game.

I see your lips moving but all I hear is blah blah blah

quote:
If however he doesn't take the loot but just relocates it and leaves a map to where to find it then I'm on the fence. It could be fun to some.

It's enough for me to maintain my caches and keep them stocked. I'll be darned if I'm gonna track down the contents that some idiot stole and hid somewhere else. Maybe that's fun to you, but my idea of fun is quite different.

How about you, this pirate slime and the others who think it's a good idea start your own game. You can place caches and take turns swiping each others.

If the primate had any mental capacity, maybe he'd be able to

get a job to earn a few bucks to put together a couple of good,

quality caches and scout for some good places to put those caches

instead of messing up what others are willing to put the thought

and effort into doing.

"I'm not Responsible... just ask my wife, She'll confirm it"

Xitron has a good point, and I concur.

REAL web developers use vi

Or you just write whatever code you like in a free app that comes with every MS based PC. Feel free to write code in Java, Cold Fusion, JSP, Python, Tck, C, C++, VB, etc. ~ do it all in N++.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

It's enough for me to maintain my caches and keep them stocked. I'll be darned if I'm gonna track down the contents that some idiot stole and hid somewhere else. Maybe that's fun to you, but my idea of fun is quite different.

How about you, this pirate slime and the others who think it's a good idea start your own game. You can place caches and take turns swiping each others.

Since I am a newbee and haven't placed any caches i guess I didn't think this through all the way. If I placed a cache and somene moved it I guess I'd have a problem with that. As just a finder of caches the new twist wouldn't bother me as much, and may even find it interesting.

I see your lips moving but all I hear is blah blah blah