GeoCache Pirate Appears to be Back Up & Running

Mark 42

quote:
Originally posted by Xitron:

I invest a lot of money, time and effort into placing and maintaining caches for _geocachers_ to find. This guy is playing a different game and I'm not interested in participating.

I agree someone should not pull and take caches, some of you do spend alot of time and money in placing them. If however he doesn't take the loot but just relocates it and leaves a map to where to find it then I'm on the fence. It could be fun to some and a pain to others depending on what your idea of a cache is. If someone loots the caches and keeps it they are a jacka$$ and we already have plenty of them here that play the game.

I see your lips moving but all I hear is blah blah blah

---------------------------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Xitron:

Since I am a newbee and haven't placed any caches i guess I didn't think this through all the way. If I placed a cache and somene moved it I guess I'd have a problem with that. As just a finder of caches the new twist wouldn't bother me as much, and may even find it interesting.

I'm confused. Which is it? You spend alot of money and time placing caches or your a newbie and haven't placed them.

quote:
TBismine wrote:

I'm confused. Which is it? You spend alot of money and time placing caches or your a newbie and haven't placed them.

Arrr ye scurvy dog -- Av ya forgot yer pirate talkin accent?

Seems ta me yer not fit fer the likes of a real pirate. And laddy, whots with the girly soundin' moniker? TBismine? Ha ha ha. Could ya whip me up some grub ye wimpy wench? And grab me some grog while yer at it. A more fearsome name I've not heard, fer sure. I'm shakin in me blue suede pantaloons. Ha ha ha.

Those other posts were from other people I just didn't include their names.

This was from another player

"I invest a lot of money, time and effort into placing and maintaining caches for _geocachers_ to find. This guy is playing a different game and I'm not interested in participating"

My response was " I agree someone should not pull and take caches, some of you do spend alot of time and money in placing them. If however he doesn't take the loot but just relocates it and leaves a map to where to find it then I'm on the fence. It could be fun to some and a pain to others depending on what your idea of a cache is. If someone loots the caches and keeps it they are a jacka$$ and we already have plenty of them here that play the game."

As to this quote " Since I am a newbee and haven't placed any caches i guess I didn't think this through all the way. If I placed a cache and somene moved it I guess I'd have a problem with that. As just a finder of caches the new twist wouldn't bother me as much, and may even find it interesting."

It is clear that i SAID i AM A NEWBEE and have not placed a cache. If someone decided to move a cache I placed I am not quite sure how I'd feel. Is that clear enough for you?

All who approve or promote the pirate should second guess.

All the no-no responses I recall (no link available) about another GC spin-off makes me wonder why some are even considering this acceptable.

This could get far worse than you think.

Geocaching has some competition here, but very very little.

Bad idea on the promotion of Cache Pirate-Excrement of the sea.

48511_5100.JPG

Yup. That's MY goat!

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

Ok, I know I've been a stay at home dad for a while now and it's getting to me, but could the pirate be.......

Captain Feathersword from "The Wiggles"? Can you see the resemblance?

http://www2.gascp.com/music/videos/CaptainFeatherswordFriendlyPirate.jpg

Well blow me down! It sure is!! Fruit salad, yummy yummy! Fruit salad, yummy!

48511_5100.JPG

Yup. That's MY goat!

Yes, he started out poorly, but he is also responding to the concerns voiced on this board. From all appearances, it looks like his game is grabbing travel bugs and replacing them in other caches.

How is this different than what everybody here does? The only difference I can see is that he probably watched "The Pirates of Penzance" one too many times.

--------------------

This space for rent! Ask about our easy layaway plan!

quote:
Originally posted by pnew:

why does that site look so much like this site made by PaulAg??

http://geocacherssociety.com/

this site has too many similarities with that pirate site... what does this mean???

http://www.texasgeocaching.com

It could be me. I am strange like that and I also have done a pirate cache before However, I am too lazy to give anything back. I would toss everything away. The guy is creative you have to give him credit for that. I can see myself becoming a trash cache bandit and getting rid of stupid crappy caches that should be archived.

Good Luck Cache Baggers

- Paul Ag

Originally posted by mckee:

Yes, he started out poorly, but he is also responding to the concerns voiced on this board. From all appearances, it looks like his game is grabbing travel bugs and replacing them in other caches.

How is this different than what everybody here does? The only difference I can see is that he probably watched "The Pirates of Penzance" one too many times.

QUOTE]

Actually he takes everything in the cache except the log book. He doesn’t log his activities on the cache page so it isn’t until another cacher finds an “empty” cache that anyone knows of his disregard for the established conduct of the geocaching community. Then the cache owner has to restock the cache (or abandon it, or rely on the kindness of others). Then the “pirate” (at his discretion) is posting clues to the cache contents location on his personal website. His latest “returned” cache is mine. He wants me to drive over 80 miles to get a clue that I will have to email to him in order to get the location of the contents, or perhaps he will just give another clue. No thanks. He’s not innovating a new twist on the game. He’s playing his own game. As far as I’m concerned he can keep playing all by himself.

why doesn't somebody rig up a gps tracking device, disguise it as something else and see if the caching pirate takes it. if so, you could track him.

if someone wants to move caches that are valued at less than $100, and no one is getting injured, except maybe egos, there is absolutely nothing that can be done. geocaching is a public forum and so it goes with public forums. even if the guy were caught, no one would care.

he would just do it again, can't lock him up for it. the best we can hope to do is turn his opinion to help the game and not hinder it or create a game of his own apart from geocaching.

Creativity Within The Bounds Of Conformity

quote:
Originally posted by Whidbey Walk:

Actually he takes everything in the cache except the log book. He doesn’t log his activities on the cache page so it isn’t until another cacher finds an “empty” cache that anyone knows of his disregard for the established conduct of the geocaching community. Then the cache owner has to restock the cache (or abandon it, or rely on the kindness of others). Then the “pirate” (at his discretion) is posting clues to the cache contents location on his personal website. His latest “returned” cache is mine. He wants me to drive over 80 miles to get a clue that I will have to email to him in order to get the location of the contents, or perhaps he will just give another clue. No thanks. He’s not innovating a new twist on the game. He’s playing his own game. As far as I’m concerned he can keep playing all by himself.

This is exactly why I'd have a problem with this 'new twist'. It may be a unique idea - but what about people who don't want to play? How is this different than trading? Answer: He's taking everything except the logbook and container and leaving nothing in return. While I don't personally like to trade, I do like to have a well stocked cache, especially for the children who find my geocaches. 10 or 15 bucks to restock a cache every time it gets 'pirated' adds up.

This isn't the type of game I'd like to participate in. I think that's one of the problems - the whole idea of this is that it's 'stolen' - You can't steal anything if you have the owners permission - and a lot of owners don't want to give permission.

southdeltan

"Man can counterfeit everything except silence". - William Faulkner

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

quote:
thanks for giving me the link to the piratecache website, maybe i'll join him.

Great, another douchebag.

_"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm_

Amen, BrianSnat. This pirate guy is pissing me off. Sure, some people think it's a cool offshoot and I SEE their point, but maybe I don't WANT my caches moved. Maybe I dno't WANT to go find it and put it back...

Wait, would I get to log it as a find then??

That was an attempt at humor. But seriously... I don't think it's cool that these people are moving caches. I mean, think of the ramifications. Sure, caches go missing, and that's just a fact of the game, but why do it PURPOSELY. And yes, he's not stealing them, but if you don't have permission to move something, don't.

Also, the guy running the site is a real (insert expletive here). I accidentally posted on here using my dog's account earlier... about how he emailed me my name, address and phone number. Sure, I had popped some junk about his site, but you know what?? He shouldn't have a forum if he can't take criticism.

And, I don't care what HE may say, sending someone their address and phone number is a threat. Mpst likely an idle one... more a "Look how internet savvy I am that I found out who you are" but you know what?? -- still a little threatening. Oh well... I'm really scared.

I think I'm done ranting for now.

Me and you and a dog named Boo...

has anyone thought about tracking the pirate? if you really want to catch him, set up a cache that will track him. but then what do you do when you catch him, slap his hands? is he really worth the effort?

you all cant do anything about the pirate, except get bent out of shape and upset, oh, that does alot of good. raise that bloodpressure, yeah baby, go red in the face, yeah, that solved the problem. and when your done going beet red and you've reached for your high blood pressure pills, the problem still exists, time to start all over again.

quote:
you all cant do anything about the pirate, except get bent out of shape and upset, oh, that does alot of good. raise that bloodpressure, yeah baby, go red in the face, yeah, that solved the problem. and when your done going beet red and you've reached for your high blood pressure pills, the problem still exists, time to start all over again.

We can stop condoning his actions (as you are) and better yet, ignore him. 19 year old boys have a very short attention span. If we make a big deal aobut it, he'll keep it up. If we ignore him, he'll lose interest quickly.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by TBismine:

YO-HO-HO!!!! ye thinks me runs the website, Nar I don't. I live in CA. No caches that I've been to been stolen or all items taking so STOP YOUR WHINNING!!!!!! http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/a0/baby.gif

Whinning?

I don't see anybody whining about this, only voicing their opinions as they are allowed to do. This kind of activity is NOT supported by the masses, plain and simple. How would you like it if I were to jump into your car at the mall, and move it from the Mervyn's side to the Dillard's side, clear on the other side of the mall? I doubt it would be very funny. Granted, the contents that are being stolen amount to only a few bucks, but it isn't the cost that is the sole factor in anger this generates. It's that someone is deliberately taking the contents to get their own cheap thrills by placing the contents somewhere else. Of course, the replacement cost associated is also an issue, but not the primary one.

There are few caches of mine that could be plundered, and one would have to do quite a bit of work to plunder my more difficult puzzle cache.

Brian

Team A.I.

YO-HO-HO

I haven't moved a single cache,nor took all the contents and moved them somewhere else. This is a public game. If you don't like the game because there are no referees I suggest you find another. There is nothing you can do if somebody steals,moves,or paints your cache bright fluorescent orange.So why say anything at all.

For starters, I never accused you of doing such a thing. I merely stated that my opinion that his/her type of 'game' is unwanted in my eyes, as has been echoed by many others in this forum. I can tell you truthfully that Jeremy apparently doesn't care for it either, as we had a problem with a 'cache pirate' here in the Phoenix area not too long ago. In one day, 8 caches were plundered (to this day, NONE of the contents were replaced elsewhere). The offending account was quickly banned, with the 'owner' of that account being sent e-mails that were never responded to. I believe that account too has been banned, because there hasn't been any activity or account activation since the day this all took place.

For someone with ZERO finds, and an account barely a week old, you sure have nerve telling anyone what to do. You are amounting to little more than a forum troll, and your lack of participation in the actual caching activity and inflammatory posts on the forums is evidence of this. Of course, the reality is that this is probably a sock-puppet account, but I could be wrong.

Brian

Team A.I.

quote:
We can stop condoning his actions (as you are) and better yet, ignore him. 19 year old boys have a very short attention span. If we make a big deal aobut it, he'll keep it up. If we ignore him, he'll lose interest quickly.

I hardly think its some 19 year old boy with a short attention span. I'm thinking its some middle aged fart that never grew up. You might want to watch some of your comments man...

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by opey one:

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

Ok, I know I've been a stay at home dad for a while now and it's getting to me, but could the pirate be.......

Captain Feathersword from "The Wiggles"? Can you see the resemblance?

http://www2.gascp.com/music/videos/CaptainFeatherswordFriendlyPirate.jpg

Well blow me down! It sure is!! Fruit salad, yummy yummy! Fruit salad, yummy!

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/48511_5100.JPG

Yup. That's MY goat!

Ugh. I hate that song. icon_smile.gif

Brian

Team A.I.

So the pirate is stealing all of the contents and leaving one item of immense value to make it a fair trade?

No? Then Captain Fluffypants is not playing geocaching as it supposed to be played.

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

has anyone noticed that the poochy, poochy pirate plunders kiddie caches. you know the real easy caches. the caches that might require some thought, like the micros or the 4 or 5 star caches he doesn't touch? why? could it be that he is a nardless wonder who is only preying on the weak and feeble because that is all he can do.

he is unable to plunder the real caches because he is unable to muster the 2 brain cells required to figure them out.

i'm going to start calling him the kiddie cacher pirate, here poochy, poochy, come out where ever you are, here's another kiddie cash for you.

quote:
Originally posted by pnew:

With all due respect georapper you sound about as mature as the piarte in that last post...

Why is it the words "With all due respect" are always followed by a statement showing no respect at all?

Pan

What does anybody want? I want the Red Sox to win the World Series. - Bill Pullman as Alan Safian in Malice.

quote:
Originally posted by Pantalaimon:

Why is it the words "With all due respect" are always followed by a statement showing no respect at all?

Because that's all the respect they feel is due the person?

--------------------

Lookie here.

Cache contents stolen by a cache pirate were found and returned by the Nude Cacher.

Aside from the obvious Nude Cacher sub-discussion that we could have (which will most likely proceed on the above-referenced thread), it looks like Nude Cacher & Co. may have had fun with this whole situation.

I bet nothing spurs the will of the pirate like successfully returned cache contents, and people having fun while doing it.

Comments?

Pan

What does anybody want? I want the Red Sox to win the World Series. - Bill Pullman as Alan Safian in Malice.

quote:
Originally posted by Pantalaimon:

Lookie http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=4016058331&m=92960938

Cache contents stolen by a cache pirate were found and returned by the Nude Cacher.

Aside from the obvious Nude Cacher sub-discussion that we could have (which will most likely proceed on the above-referenced thread), it looks like Nude Cacher & Co. may have had fun with this whole situation.

I bet nothing spurs the will of the pirate like successfully returned cache contents, and people having fun while doing it.

Comments?

My wife eats soup while geocaching.

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by georapper:

i gather from this forum thread that we should play dead, pretend the problem doesnt' exist, and hope it goes away.

Actually, there is no reason for a scorched-earth-or-nothing policy.

Diplomacy seems to be working in this case. Notice that he is not taking the whole cache and now is leaving at least something for the kids. This is not the worst situation the cachers of that area could be in.

Diplomacy is not doing nothing or playing dead.

CR

72057_2000.gif

Hey Hydee, don't forget to lock this thread too. I mean, they're talking about carpet bombing over here and way off topic. I would hate to see them "torture" anyone by forcing them to read their silliness.

I mean, its not as if we were having a logical discussion on how to deal with the cache pirate in the other thread or anything.

Or is carpetbombing acceptable for the public forum because that's how you want to deal with the problem?

Pan

What does anybody want? I want the Red Sox to win the World Series. - Bill Pullman as Alan Safian in Malice, in response to being asked "What do you want?"

[Edit: I think my post makes no sense. I'm getting my carpetbombing threads confused. I just hate locked threads in the middle of a logical discussion. Especially when "add five words" and abject silliness" get to continue.]

quote:
Pantalaimon wrote:

Hey Hydee, don't forget to lock this thread too... I would hate to see them "torture" anyone by forcing them to read their silliness.

That sentence would have much more impact if you had used a little emphasis, like this:

"I would hate to see them "torture" anyone by *forcing* them to read their silliness.

See how much better that is?

quote:

YO-HO-HO

I haven't moved a single cache,nor took all the contents and moved them somewhere else. This is a public game. If you don't like the game because there are no referees I suggest you find another. There is nothing you can do if somebody steals,moves,or paints your cache bright fluorescent orange.So why say anything at all.

Do you park your car in any public places? What if I think it'd be a fun "Game" to paint it flourescent orange and park it a few miles away?

One of these days, you are going to find out what people can do to protect their property.

As someone pointed out, when you place something (e.g. a campsite) in the woods, it is still yours. As long as someone values it, it is not litter. Since you know that it is of value to someone, you cannot claim ignorance of its value.

"I'm not Responsible... just ask my wife, She'll confirm it"

quote:
Originally posted by Pantalaimon:Cache contents stolen by a cache pirate were found and returned by the Nude Cacher.

Nude Cacher & Co. may have had fun with this whole situation.

Comments?.

It's not a lot of fun to spend an hour or more looking for a cache that some idiot has moved or plundered. Basically, there's this thing called respect... if you want to place a cache, do so... but leave other people's caches hidden the way you found them.

"I'm not Responsible... just ask my wife, She'll confirm it"

YO-HO-HO

I haven't moved a single cache,((((nor)))) took all the contents and moved them somewhere else. This is a public game. If you don't like the game because there are no referees I suggest you find another. There is nothing you can do if somebody steals,moves,or paints your cache bright fluorescent orange.So why say anything at all.

I haven't moved any caches you have the wrong person.