Fun with the new maps.

Marky

I picked a cache near my home and zoomed out as far is it would let me. Here is the result:

spread.jpg

Of course, you need to be a premium member to get the checkmarks...

What does your geocaching.com map look like?

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

OK, what am I missing here? My maps don't look like that. There are no checkmarks for my finds (I'm a premium member) and there isn't nearly as much detail.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

Ahhh, you have to go to the cache page, not your state. No wonder I couldn't figure out what all the hullabaloo was about.

Here is is from the furthest possible zoom:

icon_rolleyes.gif

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on October 03, 2003 at 03:37 PM.]

OK, I'm too embarresed to show my map off icon_redface.gif

Maybe when I hit the kajillion it will look much better.

BTW, how far does Marky have to drive to find a cache they haven't done?

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

Not far. There are new Geocaches popping up all of the time. I see two on his map. (of which one is mine)

My map also has a couple of puzzle caches nearby that I haven't yet solved...if ever.

Originally posted by Touchstone:

BTW, how far does Marky have to drive to find a cache they haven't done?

QUOTE]

Mickey

Max Entropy

More than just a name, a lifestyle.

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

I picked a cache near my home and zoomed out as far is it would let me

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

(Hoping not to twist the lion's tail, but...)

155 mile scale zoom is now available...how does that map look for you?

Here is the Pittsburgh PA area today. I'm running out of caches and am starting to travel more!

57636_2500.jpg

And, just for comparison, here's the picture I posted the last time that we had this thread in late 2002 (using a different zoom level, obviously). Interesting to see the changes in both the cache density and the map quality!

57636_1000.jpg

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

quote:
Originally posted by btouch:

icon_mad.gif I need more geocachers in my area!

Man, I feel for ya buddy. Go out and hide some and maybe that will encourage others to do the same. big_smile.gif

--Marky

quote:
Man, I feel for ya buddy. Go out and hide some and maybe that will encourage others to do the same. big_smile.gif

--Marky

Actually, I just submitted an article to our local paper. Hopefully, that will generate some interest around here. All the caches you see on my map (except the two in the bottom corner) were placed by me and I have four more ammo boxes I'm getting ready to place. The only problem is that its not much fun hunting your own hides unless of course you're one of those people who can't find their car in the Wal-Mart parking lot! icon_razz.gif

Marky, your example of the map is exactly why I wish we could toggle the caches we've found. Currently, we can toggle the "found" icon which removed the checkboxes, but it leaves all the caches still there. In some areas, there are way too many things on the map, and I'd like to narrow it down just to ones I still haven't found. Luckily I can just get a pocket query and use that info in MS Streets & Trips to get what I want, but then I have to plan ahead of time where I want that map centered.

quote:
Originally posted by lostdog19:

Luckily I can just get a pocket query and use that info in MS Streets & Trips to get what I want, but then I have to plan ahead of time where I want that map centered.

I get four PQs that overlap to some degree. There are so many caches near me that I've not really needed to do anything other than to merge the four PQs and then zoom in on the area I'm interested in (I use MapSend topo to display the maps locally, since I have a Magellan).

One of the new features might be useful for what you are talking about. Basically, the ability to build a custom GPX file on the fly, let say, from a "filter finds" list. You would just checkmark the caches you want included, and then when you've added all the caches you want, you click a button and generate the GPX file. I'm pretty sure I saw this mentioned by Jeremy somewhere, but then maybe it was just a dream... bad_boy_a.gif

--Marky

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

quote:
Originally posted by GeoFool:

smile.gif

There's a couple around Plainfield in the lower left hand corner just waiting to be found. icon_wink.gif

http://www.markwell.us

http://www.chicagogeocaching.com

I get to them one of these days Kelly. If they weren't so hard I probably would have done them already. icon_wink.gif

lookerline_e0.gif

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

mystats.php?userid=GeoFool&bgcol=FFFFF0&fgcol=000000&imbadge=y&badgetyp=chitown.jpg

quote:

Actually, I just submitted an article to our local paper. Hopefully, that will generate some interest around here. All the caches you see on my map (except the two in the bottom corner) were placed by me and I have four more ammo boxes I'm getting ready to place. The only problem is that its not much fun hunting your own hides unless of course you're one of those people who can't find their car in the Wal-Mart parking lot! icon_razz.gif

I am in the same boat as btouch...actually we are in the same area. So no need to display another "empty" map. One of the caches in touch's map is one of mine. This area is full of great hiding places.

Good to hear about the newspaper article. If it goes to press, sent me a copy so it can be reprinted in the Onion City.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I need more geocachers in my area!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AMEN!

Bob ~

Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese...

Isn't the best way to save face to keep the lower part shut?...Stephen Wright

Here's my 30 mile map:

100957_600.GIF

Here's the 30 mile map of our state capital:

100957_900.GIF

Here's the new 155 mile map of MOST of our state (cuts of the MS Gulf Coast, but if you can pan you can see it in 1 click).

100957_1200.GIF

I REALLY like the new size limits. It'd be neat if there was a complete state map on the state map pages, but then again I don't want to lose the plain old maps that just have blue boxes - those are very useful.

southdeltan

Here's what we get outside the US. To get this I had to pan couple of tens of times from a New Jersey map:

80398_1100.jpg

This is the 30 mile version:

80398_1200.JPG

This is the old map of Finland. I panned this from the Swedish map, as there has never been map for Finland. I've also never seen the 'found caches' function on this map either.

80398_1000.jpg

A lot to party with, huh?

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -

getmap.aspx?lat=33.38563&lon=-111.80128

Seems a bit sad to me.

So why doesn't my map work? All I haveis a red x in a box?

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

quote:
Originally posted by RainbowCache:

Good to hear about the newspaper article. If it goes to press, sent me a copy so it can be reprinted in the Onion City.

Bob ~

Hey Bob! I emailed the article to the paper Thursday evening, but I haven't even gotten so much as an auto-reply yet. I'll hand deliver it to them if I have to... we need more cachers! I'll send you a copy if they print it, or I can email you what I wrote and you can make whatever modifications you like (you'll need to) and send it to the Onion City.

Hey Southdeltan! Looks like you are from my original "neck of the woods." I was born in Greenville, my dad grew up near Glen Allan and went to school in Rolling Fork. If you're from Glen Allan, you'll probably know "my people." Ed and Cornelia Touchberry were my grand-parents and Eddie Touchberry is my dad.

Sorry to get off topic, but it's neat to see people from the old stomping grounds on this board.