Poll number 2563 of 8270

I think it's lame.

"This was 21 of 28 caches for the day, Thanks"

Who the hell cares? I sure as heck don't care a wit how many caches you found in a day. What I want to know about was your adventure. Did the drive in girl yell at you for stinking because you found a skunk at the cache? Did you get a flat? Was the cache hard? Easy? Scenic? Type something dammit! You don't have to even think or be creative. Numbers are anti creative. You have to actually work to have that little to say. It's like tipping a penny. An insult. It's better to leave no tip, or to just say "Thanks for the cache"

This is post number 4 of 12 today.

P.S. I don't delete the logs, or yell at them either. It would serve no purpose and in all honesty I put them ahead of lurkers who find your cache and say nothing. The scum!

I log all my caches..Find # XX. I do that cause I write a personal journal and unfortunately I write slower than I cache. This way I can refer to the cache page when I don't remember which one comes next.

"The more I study nature, the more I am amazed at the Creator."

- Louis Pasteur

Sure, it could be just for recordkeeping. I don't think it should be illegal or anything, it's just a little flashy. I think Renegade Knight said it best.

Don't get me wrong. The main point of my poll was to spoof the flame wars that have erupted over very minor caching issues on this board lately. If an actual discussion comes out of it, even better.

It's always bugged me that my finds don't show up exactly in the order I found the caches and entered the logs. So, whenever I have a multiple-find day, I record the sequence number (7 of 13, 8 of 13, etc.) to keep the order straight for the record.

Second reason: since cache find counts update each time that the cache page generates, it's nice to see "Find #25" in an old log, now that I have ten times that many finds.

For me, the perfect cache log design would include fields for incremental find count (static) and the time of day for the find (optional), in ADDITION to the total find count (which updates each time the page generates).

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

quote:
Originally posted by Sugar Kane:

Sure, it could be just for recordkeeping. I don't think it should be illegal or anything, it's just a little flashy. I think Renegade Knight said it best.

Don't get me wrong. The main point of my poll was to spoof the flame wars that have erupted over very minor caching issues on this board lately. If an actual discussion comes out of it, even better.

I don't think its flashy. I do it and usually it's more like "2 of 4 today", not "47 of 80". Like jeremy said, I do it mainly for my own use, since "my cache page" doesnt display them in the right order. Also I do it in case some other cacher is interested in looking to see what caches I hit, and in what order.

I know when I see a log on a cache on my watch list, I will often look just to see what other nearby caches the person found. Or, if I see someone else logged a cache the same day as me, I'll also look to see what else they did.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

It's always bugged me that my finds don't show up exactly in the order I found the caches and entered the logs. So, whenever I have a multiple-find day, I record the sequence number (7 of 13, 8 of 13, etc.) to keep the order straight for the record.

But don't they just display in reverse order for that day? As far as I can tell, they don't actually get mixed up.

quote:
For me, the perfect cache log design would include fields for incremental find count (static) and the time of day for the find (optional), in ADDITION to the total find count (which updates each time the page generates).

That would be cool.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

You have to log them in order to appear in order. Then if you have to get permission to log a cache you have to wait. Plus if someone deletes your log...

Actually, if I log my caches in order, they appear on the list in reverse order...

Ron/yumitori

I log my finds "find # of ##" and include the time for my own personal record keeping. I could personally care less about another cacher's number of finds (there are a few legendary exceptions...)

I'd like to say more, but don't want to start the flames. My one question would be "Why do you care?"

Adversity is certain, misery is optional.

texasgeocaching_sm.gifntga_button.gif

I have found all except one cache in my region so obviously I have a great hunger for other dense cache areas. Well, there are not many dense cache areas in Finland, but I had never sought caches in capital area where the most Finnish caches are. When my wife had a training day there last Saturday I generously offered to drive her there.icon_wink.gif I had 8 hours of pure caching in the densest cache area in my country! I managed to find 15 caches on Saturday and 2 on Sunday on the way back home. Boy was I excited - my first Cachepedition!

quote:

Who the hell cares? I sure as heck don't care a wit how many caches you found in a day. What I want to know about was your adventure.

Well, I wrote notes at every cache I searched, so in addition to text
quote:
Divine's Cachepedition I to capital area: 17 finds, 2 not found. This is 4/17.
I also wrote my feelings and incidents etc. along the search. Of course depending on the cache.

To me it was a great trip to the Cacheland and I sure wanted to mention the number of the day's find in my log. Both for me and - like Mopar said - for other people possibly interested.

quote:
Sugar Kane:

But don't they just display in reverse order for that day? As far as I can tell, they don't actually get mixed up.

Yeah. I logged my finds starting from the last I found and they display now in correct order in 'My Page'.

- From the shallow end of the gene pool. -

We log our cache vacations that way. It is mainly for our recordkeeping, but also for the fun. All our sheets have tehir # on them so when we get around to fileing them, we can put them in order of the finds. Except for one vacation in which 4 caches in a row got labeled as # 17! We hadn't found # 16 and were planning a return to it when we had had lunch, and so left it's sheet out, on top of the pile. icon_smile.gif

Plus, when I see that someone went to a certain town on vacation and hit caches in a certain order, I find that by following their route we can find caches easier than if Itry to find them without a route.

-Jennifer

Age does not bring wisdom, but it does give perspective.

I always have logged my cache finds in the order I found them, but they don't always stay that way. A couple weeks ago I found one on my lunchbreak, logged it online when I got back to work. Then after work found another and logged it that night. But in my list, the 1st find for that day is nearest the top. I wonder why?

Not that it really matters in the end.

I do like to see time, as some have already mentioned, so IF I remember when logging a find, I'll put what time I found it, too.

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

I'll drink to that my law-imbibed friend.

Jamie

I've been on both ends of that stick and am not unhappy with either one.

I'm blessed to live in a cache-dense area. When an out-of-towner blows through and selects my cache to be N of Y for the day, I'm happy. When I'm the out of towner, since I'm a capable typist with less-than-totally-embarrassing record keeping skills, I do try to mention SOMETHING memorable about the cache in the log and not just rely on the cut/paste/edit thing. (I don't bemoan those that don't share those skills.) It makes me happy to record my note for cache condition so the placer and the next finder knows all is well. When I'm chased by the psycho boy scout leader or bust my head open requiring stitches at a cache, I'll definitely mention that in the logs. I can't fake a lot of excitement for a cache thrown out the car window four feet off a road, but I can at least be polite. If anything, "X of Y" (where Y >, oh, 10% of the caches within 100 miles) *is* part of the caching experience for that person was able to do enough research to get there, see what was to be seen, and repeat that for a substantial part of the day. Besides, I usually don't strike a tally until I'm done.

This isn't to say that when I'm on a 30+ find caching binge that I'll record every detail from my parking space to the blister on my foot or my current allergy status in the log in each cache. Nor do I expect the same from logs on my own caches.

Honestly, I tend to not log my own finds - even the marathon ones - as X of Y becuase A) the site doesn't show it in a reasonable way, ;) anybody that cares can look at my 'found' profile and see if I've done a bunch or a little on that day and that information is very transient; a few days after the log the stats mean very little and C) I think it's intimdating to the people that fall into category four in your poll and I remember being one of those people.

If someone logs one of my hides with the single string "1/1 for the day", I won't be thrilled. But as long as the log is proportionate to the amount of effort, joy, and pain spent finding it, I'm OK with that as both as hider and a finder.

dadgum, after reading this thread I now feel gulty for saying which cache was # 200 adn which was # 300.

For some reason I do like to know if one of my cahces was a milestone cache. That's a place of honor.

But by and large for logs that read "4 of 8 for the day" (and that's about it) it is rather a let down for me as a cache placer. Makes me feel like I need to get myself a cache pimp.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

I don't log like 4 of 6 for the day, but I do number each log for my total caches up to and including that find, mainly for record keeping. In fact, the only time that was really cool was when my 296th find was cache GC296--now, with the #296 in front of my log, it can still be cool when the next person makes a log and changes my number of finds in the parentheses.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."--Calvin

MnGCA-Button.gif

The practice doesn't bother me at all. I don't see it as boasting, or anything negative. I rarely do it simply because it's not often that I find more than one cache in a day.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

I don't see how they can be so predictive. If they write in the log "Ths is cache 15 of 26 today", then they only find 25, of accidentally find and log a 27th, do they actually go back to each cache and correct the count in the log book? This could make for a VERY long cache day. And use up a lot of eraser too! But, if they swap items from cache to cache, can they log it again? But no, cause then they would have to correct some logs again. Where will it end?

Personally, I don't care. There are not a lot of caches in our area. I have logged 10, I have gone along on a few dozen caching expeditions with others, and I am responsible for 10 other ham radio operators becomming cachers. No, I didn't log their numbers on their foreheads either. I hike a lot... I cache sometimes. It is all fun.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

I vote "it's fine" because I don't mind seeing how many a person is finding in a day. Doesn't bug me either way and it's interesting to see people saying they did 14 in one day. Holy cow! I never have enough time in the day to find that many. I think it's pretty cool to see someone going on a Geocaching bender. For me? More than 3 in a day would be pretty amazing.

Team Kender - Willow and Dan exploring the Bay Area backroads!

quote:

But by and large for logs that read "4 of 8 for the day" (and that's about it) it is rather a let down for me as a cache placer. Makes me feel like I need to get myself a cache pimp.

Just to clarify, even though I add "4/8 today" and the time and my find# for my own personal records, thats not ALL I write. Heck, I've been known to go over the limit on some of my logs, and had to continue them in a note log.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

I occasionally include a cache X of Y for the day log, but not usually. I do include #NNN at the beginning of my log to indicate the total number of finds to date. It's mostly a recordkeeping thing for myself. I also generally write something else in my log, too - at least what I traded.

web-lingbutton.gif ntga_button.gif

Weird, my "My Cache Page" does display them in the order I logged them (by day). So of the four I logged today, they are in the correct order. Then previous days have those in the correct order from first to last as long as I logged them in that order.

Desert_Warrior - as far has how you can tell if you will log 15 of 26, I don't write that in the actual logbook (for the reasons you mention). I might write it on the website log, if at all.

You could read anything you want into the practice. I don't do it, but I don't mind it either. Sometimes it explains a lame log entry, by letting me know that the finder was more interested in getting a lot of finds that day, instead of sharing their experience in the log. That way I don't think it's the cache that's lame.

I would much rather see the time of day they found the cache, is it just me?

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures and Here (newest)

Don't have a problem with it. After you do a lot of caches in a day, things can blur in...e.g. yakima cache machine. I was more brief than usual for a lot of cool caches that day because I had to log 60+ caches.

Normally though, I do try to add some details, but on a binge day, I might be more brief. Don't take it personally. In fact a cacher emailed me thinking that I didn't like micros after the cache machine...I set the record straight and the person understood after that.

I often do it on a multi cache day to help me keep them straight in my own mind. I also tend to write a more descriptive log entry for a more memorable hunt.

If one of my caches is part of a multi find day I'm OK with that too. If one of mine is number xx milestone for a cacher that is even cooler in my book. As far as how my log entries are taken by the cache owners-dilligaf? icon_biggrin.gif

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane