Missing logs, other elements from cache pages

Mike Fitz

+1. Logs are missing from the cache listing page, but are viewable by clicking on the "View all logs" link at the bottom.

When trying to save a personal note I get "Something went wrong. Please refresh the page and try again."

I'm on Chrome as well. Just out of curiosity, is everyone with the issue using the Geocaching Little Helper II script? I know the last update they mentioned some pages were having issues after the tech update bu that was days ago and didn't include cache pages themselves nor does it appear there were additional tech updates today. It's odd because the page starts to render with at least the pencil icon next to the coordinates but that goes away as the page finishes loading (no time to scroll down to see if anything else changes).

Problem here too, on current FIrefox on current Linux Mint.  Even with scripts all enabled (don't ask me to do this), still problem.

Notably, NoScript shows more scripts loaded than I've ever seen on a GC page, too many to screenshot because scrollbar.  Ad-related stuff, from the sounds of it.  (Hey, I'm paying yearly, and still getting ad cruft?!?)

I get the impression they quietly threw in some scripts, thinking nobody would notice.  We noticed.  Staging server?  Beta testers?  Release notes?!?

EDIT: also fails on Brave on Android, completely different software stack.

EDIT: the map is also gone from the page.

Edited by Viajero Perdido
  • Upvote 1

I checked just now, and the first time the cache page I tested was opened, it was fine.  On the first refresh, I saw the issue of no logs, as described above.  Subsequent refreshes were OK.

Brave Version 1.64.109 Chromium: 123.0.6312.58 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Edition    Windows 11 Home
Version    23H2
Installed on    ‎10/‎6/‎2022
OS build    22631.3296
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22687.1000.0

• Helpful 1

I'm missing the logs when I first open a cache page, but I see them if I then hit the refresh button.  I also get the something went wrong message when saving personal notes, but if I open the page in a different window right after that, it lets me save them.  As a side note, I often, but not always, get the something is wrong message when doing my first log of the day and I do the same thing to get it to post... open the page up in a different window and then submit the log.  (I cut and paste it from the old window.)  This started happening back in November when they put the new logging page in.  After I do the first log, it seems to work fine for all the rest of them that day.

I also have the same problem since about 8-10 hours. I'm on Win11 and I have tried in FireFox, Chrome and Edge with the same result. Not able to update and logs are collapsed. Clearing the cache, log off and back on, reboot, disabling all scripts... Nothing helps? However, when opening the browser in Private mode, then it looks/works as usual... The same on another computer and on the phone when using browser in desktop mode, then it's "normal"? Feels like it's something that happened on the computer I was using at the time whetever happened?! :blink:

Edited by Odberger
Clarification

Mac OS  Firefox 123.0.1  I am not able to add notes. Logs are not loading unless you click on view all logs. I also can not edit coordinates.

There is a new firefox 124 but I haven't updated yet.

Edited by amy jean

I found the problem: again Groundspeak is juggling with cookies.

If you allow all cookies, all seems to function fine
With only "Necessary""and "Preferences" - several fuunctions like direct log viewing and personal notes malfunction.

• Surprised 1
4 minutes ago, Birdie.NL said:

I found the problem: again Groundspeak is juggling with cookies.

If you allow all cookies, all seems to function fine
With only "Necessary""and "Preferences" - several fuunctions like direct log viewing and personal notes malfunction.

I always allow all cookies and I still have this problem... Tried again to clear cache and re-allowing all and still the problem persists :(

• Upvote 1

I've tried a lot now: I changed my cookie settings to: Allow all. But no change.

But I found the solution:
- I had to additionally (!) disable 'adguard' (my ad-blocker).
- Then I had to refresh the cache page twice.

Now I see all logs as before and I can also use 'Personal cache notes' again.

My conclusion: allow all cookies and deactivate ad-blocker.

What a mess. Are you bored in Seattle? Or did the trainee play around with the system? :mad:

• Surprised 1

Not planning on turning off my ad blocker, already paying for membership and shouldn't have to also be fed ads. Want to do it for basic members with lots of advance notice, fine but don't just make the change with no communication or options and break something as a result.

• Upvote 3

Yes I am not able to see all the logs except when hitting the View all logs.  That is a pain to do every time.  I want to view the old logs when view a cache page and not have to click some more buttons.  I also noticed that the solution checker is not working.

I cannot make any changes for update a geocache coordinates.

I am using a Mac with Sonoma Vs 14.3.  Using Safari and Chrome.

When a change in programming it would be nice to have a page of updates that shows what the changes were.   

Edited by gjhimages
  • Helpful 2

I can never understand why there are so many entities (especially online) that can never go with the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Way too often companies (including Groundspeak!) spend $$ and hours on "upgrading" or "improving" when it is totally unnecessary. 

I'm not saying they are not making things better, but they sure have been good at breaking stuff lately. I have issues with: seeing logs, personal notes (KEY!!!!!), bookmark lists, and more! All these things used to work just fine.

So call me +1 to many of these complaints/issues. :wacko:

• Upvote 3
16 hours ago, thanman2 said:

It appears this may be browser-specific. When using Firefox I have the two problems noted; when using Chrome I have no issues.

Oddly I have fewer problems in Firefox and tons in Chrome (consistently, not just recent). Right now the logs show in Firefox but not Chrome. FWIW.

Also quite irritating that they do a change like this and then go home for the day... Maybe they should consider a 12 or 24hrs grace period after an upgrade where there is someone on duty to fix or rollback the update when these things occur? :unsure:

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

unpredictable effects: logs show sometimes, both in chrome and in Firefox. There seems to be some influence of the add-blocker, but switching it off does not bring back the logs for every cache.

Edited by barnold
typo

I am using Chrome & have had both the "no logs" issue and the Personal Cache Note issue. The "no logs" can be corrected each time by refreshing the page. The Personal Cache Note issue while not resolved, will work if I enter a note BEFORE updating the note from Certitude (on puzzles). 

For me it is

- runs fine with MS Edge

- with firefox the cache listing does not show neither map nor logs nor advertisments

- with firefox it does not help reloading the page

What I see

- MS Edge much faster loads all the postloading details

Windows 10.

Firefox 124.0 (64)

MS Edge 122.0.2365.92

I'm having problems with several items, as well.  Like most of the above comments:

- finder logs are not visible as they were a couple days ago, whether opening the cache page for the first time, refreshing that new page, or finding an old window open and refreshing;

- can not enter anything in Personal Notes - MAJOR issue with this;

- can not update coordinates in any manner - the pencil is gone, so can't do it manually, and using the Update Coordinates link from Project-GC.com's verification checker page, nothing gets changed.

- maps link is broken - nothing visible on the cache page.  But this has been a sporadic issue for quite some time, such as years.

I'm running MacOS 14.1.1 Sonoma and using Safari on MBP-M3.

I will NOT turn off my ad blocker because that impacts everything else I touch; so that is not a solution.  

Luckily, it seems nothing, so far, is impacted in the Logging process.  I don't want to be holding lists of caches to log for who knows how long.

When will these issues be corrected?   Please don't break anything else as you fix what got broken this week.

• Upvote 1
18 hours ago, Rock Chalk said:

Several posts, now removed, were made today in this thread about issues unrelated to the tech migrations. Please remember to use appropriate threads/forums. Thanks!

Ok, could you please explain to the geocaching community worldwide why all these issues occured at the cache pages? For the time being I have seen no messages from HQ or lackeys at all in the threads about the website bugs. Geocaching is a major hobby for many of us, for you it's work as well. I hope to geocache for many years to come.

It would be nice to know whether it was a technical failure or someone who pressed the wrong button. In any case, something to learn from for HQ.

Yours sincerely,
Birdie.NL

• Upvote 2
  • Surprised 1
1 hour ago, Birdie.NL said:

Ok, could you please explain to the geocaching community worldwide why all these issues occured at the cache pages? For the time being I have seen no messages from HQ or lackeys at all in the threads about the website bugs. Geocaching is a major hobby for many of us, for you it's work as well. I hope to geocache for many years to come.

It would be nice to know whether it was a technical failure or someone who pressed the wrong button. In any case, something to learn from for HQ.

Why? What would you do with this information and how would it help you? Just curious, what is your favorite development platform?

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
On 3/21/2024 at 1:03 PM, hunterKat said:

- maps link is broken - nothing visible on the cache page.  But this has been a sporadic issue for quite some time, such as years.

I hadn't even thought of this - same here. For years I can load a cache page and get no map (in 4 different browsers that I use regularly FWIW). I have repeatedly had to "view larger map". It's always frustrating.