The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

5ac89245-3313-42af-9dbd-c1642ea8b8d2.jpg

Holy Toledo!

I've always enjoyed El Greco's work.

And FYI....where are my beads??? I know I earned some! Just ask LocaRoja. I shudder to think what those Marines did to earn theirs. :ph34r:

What, exactly, can a GUY do to earn beads?? I thought the GUYS had to BUY them in the hopes that some hot chick would EARN them......

Anyone want to suggest some fun caches in Borrego Springs? I may be leading a group of non-geocachers on an 'Intro to geocaching' event in that area next week. Looking for some that are particularly fun / scenic / puzzling - along the lines of the Sandy Creek Cowboy Caches or TT caches. It's a bunch of PhD Scientists so a good puzzler or two is fine. :ph34r: Ship Rock was a good example of a great view. Any help would be appreciated!

Congratulations to both Kawikaturn and Flutterbyes for their recently completed quest at Snakes & Ladders!

Great job to both teams.

Thanks Dan-oh and Parsa for creating it. One of the legendary and locally famous caches for sure. I had to finish it before the 1 year anniversary! Thanks again to both of you for your efforts and originality. Today is a day I will remember forever!

Anyone want to suggest some fun caches in Borrego Springs? I may be leading a group of non-geocachers on an 'Intro to geocaching' event in that area next week. Looking for some that are particularly fun / scenic / puzzling - along the lines of the Sandy Creek Cowboy Caches or TT caches. It's a bunch of PhD Scientists so a good puzzler or two is fine. :) Ship Rock was a good example of a great view. Any help would be appreciated!

Give me the coords, I can make a really easy (For PHd types) puzzle - I was thinking of something along the line of Quadratic ( That they can do in the field )

Or if you want, something that will require a bit of 'at home' pre-preparation.

-- SlideRule

Does anyone know where all these bloody butterflies came from, and what on earth they're all doing here? I could hardly see through them to drive to work this morning!!

57979a12-cb8d-4f0d-bcdb-df608c2cf66a.jpg

It's the spring hatch of the Painted Ladies. Ruby May my red Explorer is now yellow from b-fly guts.

The abundant wildflower and grass crop this year is driving an unusual cycle of not only butterflies but rodents, snakes, hawks, and Geocaching sapiens.

Edited by SD Rowdies
Does anyone know where all these bloody butterflies came from, and what on earth they're all doing here? I could hardly see through them to drive to work this morning!!

It's the spring hatch of the Painted Ladies. Ruby May my red Explorer is now yellow from b-fly guts.

The abundant wildflower and grass crop this year is driving an unusual cycle of not only butterflies but rodents, snakes, hawks, and Geocaching sapiens.

You guys should experience a Mayfly hatch along the Mississippi River sometime! Sometimes there are so many Mayflies that you can't see the road and your car can slide like you are on ice! The worst part is that you don't want to get out to clean your off windshield because you will be quickly covered by thousands of these bugs! Bugs are cool!

Ah yes. Here's a story from the U-T a couple of weeks back.

Does anybody know who these guys are and what they are doing or where they can be found!?!?!?!! Never hurts to ask!

The three Sopranos? Four bottles t' go.

afbce2ba-4b3e-4600-9ab7-e6181d719ccf.jpg

No wait, now I've got it. Take a look at this photo and you'll know what they were up to and where to find them. Yeah, just look at 'em grin. Too bad they had t' wait in line.

Thanks Kawikaturn,

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

uhh yea no kidding. ive been back and forth to phoenix here 4 times in the last 2 months, but the last 2 times were the worst, the uhaul truck had a radiator full of them full wingspan, nasty, my car just had the guts all over the winshield... yuck.. tey are still there, lol i need to get it washed.

Anyone want to suggest some fun caches in Borrego Springs? I may be leading a group of non-geocachers on an 'Intro to geocaching' event in that area next week. Looking for some that are particularly fun / scenic / puzzling  - along the lines of the Sandy Creek Cowboy Caches or TT caches. It's a bunch of PhD Scientists so a good puzzler or two is fine.  :unsure: Ship Rock was a good example of a great view.  Any help would be appreciated!

Give me the coords, I can make a really easy (For PHd types) puzzle - I was thinking of something along the line of Quadratic ( That they can do in the field )

Or if you want, something that will require a bit of 'at home' pre-preparation.

-- SlideRule

You already promised us a puzzle. Did ''a few minutes'' pass before my eyes? <_< I don't think anyone called 'Uncle' yet. :ph34r:

Challenge: Anyone in CV up to a fantastic FTF in San Diego? -or- Is it true that the FTS will go to a Southern Californian and not a flatlander?
FYI... For anyone interested in a "low" end PDA, today's paper has an ad from Fry's for a refurbished Palm IIIe for $30. This is what we use just for geocaching and find it does everything we need (it is B/W screen).

How many caches can be loaded into that puppy?

Please help...I want to buy a PDA today...I want one I can load a lot of caches into (how much memory is necessary to store 1000 caches)(my GPS stores 1000 waypoints), easy to update, money is not an issue...but don’t need a built in camera etc.

Anyone have any suggestions?

PS If it could find the caches for me that would be cool also.

Edited by GoBolt
FYI... For anyone interested in a "low" end PDA, today's paper has an ad from Fry's for a refurbished Palm IIIe for $30. This is what we use just for geocaching and find it does everything we need (it is B/W screen).

i would say thats a pretty good deal, however id say to stay away from a newer nicer color one if thats what you buy, because once you use a nice new color pda you will never want to see a grayscale one again!!!!

i used a handspring visor edge for a couple of years and then bought a tungsten t2 second hand and it was geat, i loved the color screen and its speeed, 500 caches imports in 5-10 seconds instead of 5-10 minutes!! (no im not exagerating!), the tungsten t, & t2 palms have known issues with the digitizers not working after a while which happened to me, so i sold it to a company that refurbishes them and bought a new tungsten E, they got for about $199, sometimes less, well worth it for what you get IMO. the SD card slow by itself is great to have, but the speed and color screen are just the icing on the cake for me.

anyways good luck and enjoy paperless.

i would say thats a pretty good deal, however id say to stay away from a newer nicer color one if thats what you buy, because once you use a nice new color pda you will never want to see a grayscale one again!!!!

FWIW, I have a Tungsten E which is color but it's very hard to read when out in the field, unlike my 60cs. It would be nice to have a PDA with a "transflective" screen like the 60cs.

Please help...I want to buy a PDA today...I want one I can load a lot of caches into (how much memory is necessary to store 1000 caches)(my GPS stores 1000 waypoints), easy to update, money is not an issue...but don’t need a built in camera etc.

I am using a Palm m515. It has a color screen that looks great in direct sunlight. With that said, the color is not needed if you want to use Cachemate which is the application I recommend.

As far as the number of waypoints goes, I currently have 1500 caches loaded into Cachemate and the total memory usage (Program + Data) is 3.5 MB. I could load many more caches if I wanted to. I think the IIIe has 8MB, so it would work fine.

Dave

I am a big HP fan (the company has done unbelievable things for me in the past)

Does anyone know anything about the iPAQ's?

Nope, but you can't get CacheMate on a Pocket PC so I wouldn't want one for caching anyway.

I have a Sony Clie TJ-27 which I think has 32MB of memory, but you can put Memory Sticks in it too so you can have as much memory as you need. I have a 128MB card, but you don't need one that big. My CacheMate files take up about 4MB, with 900 records in the default database and another 800 or so in other databases, all with 10 logs per cache page.

Apparently Sony are stopping making PDAs, so you might get some good deals if you don't mind the possible lack of support. Otherwise, I might have got a Palm Zire 72 or a Tungsten of some sort. I like having the camera on the PDA, even though it's not a good camera really it's just handy to have it with you at all times, especially when caching (you can photograph any clues in case you memory isn't too good!).

Cachemate gives you an option to load several PQs into separate databases. This is the way to go because cachemate runs faster if you keep less than 500 caches in one database. So I run a few PQ's and load each into it's own database. It is very easy to switch databases to the area you are doing. I update the PQ that I'm heading for the day before I go out. So all you really need is a B/W Palm with 16MB. Anything beyond that is gravy!

FWIW, I have a Tungsten E which is color but it's very hard to read when out in the field, unlike my 60cs. It would be nice to have a PDA with a "transflective" screen like the 60cs.

I started a thread in the GPS and software forum on this very issue. I really like my Handspring Visor Prism. Everything about it is great except for one thing. The screen is a dark gray when under direct sunlight. I thought it might be an old battery problem, but when I googled "sunlight visor prism" I got a lot of comments about how you can't see the screen in bright light. That makes it great in the woods, but not so wonderful hear in sunny San Diego. The newer Palm models are supposed to have transreflective screens that are easier to read. However, I've heard nothing matches the 60c for brightness (way to go Garmin).

Wouldn't it be cool if there were a GPS unit as sturdy as the 60c that let you do all the things you can do with a Palm? One machine instead of two. When my sturdy Visor Prism has the Magellan GPS in the springboard slot, it's about as close as you can get to this. Too bad the screen is bad in strong light or it would be nearly perfect for caching.

165914448769Magellan_GPS_Companion1-resized200.gif <--- This is a Visor that's not a color Prism. It's a Deluxe I believe. I have one of those too.

The Magellan GPS Companion is attached.

P.S., Rocket Man, I believe they make a GPS Companion for the M515, too.

Parsa

Edited by Parsa
I am a big HP fan (the company has done unbelievable things for me in the past)

Does anyone know anything about the iPAQ's?

i use a IPAQ 1945 (or something close to that) it has a color screen and loves to work with GSAK. have had no problems with cache pages. i usually have about 1500 stored in it, but i can expand it up to 1gig with an sd card. most likely could upload most of california into it without any problem.....

stop by the paperless caching event and check it out.

Hello everybody. I recently got into geocashing and I like the idea of going paperless. And since I just started, I went with a Garmin eTrex Legend. What kind of PDA that is compatable with this model GPS and is a good beginer. I saw that someone posted a Palm IIIe at Fry's for $30, would that be a good start? Any help would be great.

Hello everybody. I recently got into geocashing and I like the idea of going paperless. And since I just started, I went with a Garmin eTrex Legend. What kind of PDA that is compatable with this model GPS and is a good beginer. I saw that someone posted a Palm IIIe at Fry's for $30, would that be a good start? Any help would be great.

I don't think a Palm with 2MB of RAM is enough unless it comes with a memory expansion slot. Right now on my Palm, I am running Cachemate with ~800 caches loaded and it takes up ~2.5MB. Also remember that you will need space for other programs! The Palm IIIe has 2MB and the Palm IIIxe has 8MB.

Edit: Here's a good link listing many different Palms!

Edited by TrailGators

For about $20.00 more, you can get a Palm M500 like mine on eBay. It has a built-in Li-on battery that lasts a long time between charges.

It can take memory cards to add more capacity. I have almost 400 caches loaded into it and am amazed what Cachmate and my Palm can do, after I've sent the info to it from GSAK. :o

I think I will stay away from this Techy stuff. I correct myself. The palm at Fry's is only a IIIe and we have a IIIxe. We got ours on ebay for $30 and often Fry's has it for close to that. Our IIIxe is very adequate, but the IIIe is probably too short on memory. Anyway...keep an eye on Fry's or check ebay.

Edited by The Senior Sleuths

I hit the Wizard's Chess series after work yesterday & met up with SamIAmInCa. The three of us were able to complete the series except for the final. They had done a few before we met up so I finished those way late. I think I got all of the TB's logged into the caches right. If not, it just adds a bit of mystery. :rolleyes:

I hit the Wizard's Chess series after work yesterday & met up with SamIAmInCa. The three of us were able to complete the series except for the final. They had done a few before we met up so I finished those way late. I think I got all of the TB's logged into the caches right. If not, it just adds a bit of mystery. :rolleyes:

pack a picnic lunch....it may take a while to find the final. it took us about 30-50 minutes to find.

pack a picnic lunch....it may take a while to find the final. it took us about 30-50 minutes to find.

4 hours of searching and NADA! Did all the required steps, verified coords, looked in, under, around, over, every bit of shruberry in a 1000 sqft radius, still nothing. Sigh.... Will try again one of these days.