Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 6
Scruffster

The Geopocalypse has arrived!!!

Recommended Posts

45 minutes ago, Scruffster said:
I still have several caches available to non premium members. Since the covid 19 restrictions have taken place I have noticed a major influx in newbies not yet premium members.
 
I am working on the assumption that people who wouldn't normally geocache due to school or work restraints are trying new things, like geocaching, with their added spare time. Those of us who have cached for a long time know well that geocaching is an amazing antidote for cabin fever.
 
If you have a few caches that you can easily maintain, please think about changing their status to allow newbies to find them. The covid outbreak just might bring some new blood to the fold.
The Covid Geopocolypse has arrived! Welcome them.

I do not see this as a good thing. Sorry. Just my opinion and experience. I've had a bunch of these visits lately and I find the logs concerning. 

  • Upvote 5
  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post

My premium caches tend to be a bit more difficult so I wouldn't want to make them available to newbies

  • Upvote 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

I'm sorry you think so.  I'm old, very old.  And an old geocacher from the days when it was just a few geeks wandering the woods.  We welcomed everyone into the fold back then.

 

Some easy to maintain caches were suggested to welcome newbies.  I have a few hard caches too like this series ala MYST  https://coord.info/GC50H72

 

 

Edited by Scruffster
  • Upvote 3
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post

Even making your caches premium doesn't guarantee anything.

 

Last weekend I chose to get my "geocaching exercise" by finding two caches in a rarely visited park that's built on a steep hillside.  The trails are steep and muddy.  Just what I needed!

 

As I opened each logbook, I got excited because the last signature was more than a year ago.  Woo hoo!  Lonely Cache Challenge points.

 

Then I go home to log the finds, and I see that a newbie had logged online finds for those two caches earlier this month.  No signature in the logbook, but  online logs that are easy for me to remember:  "close to home" and "took a minute."  Wow, how elegant.

 

Then I noticed that one of the two caches was Premium Members Only.  Dude paid $30 for the pleasure of writing "close to home" and "took a minute" on two online cache pages.  His only two finds.  Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

  • Upvote 1
  • Funny 7
  • Surprised 1

Share this post


Link to post

I mark my caches premium if they're either made from something that would take a while to build/replace or is in a location that makes it more difficult for newbies to get at. The point is to discourage would-be vandalizers from coming along to mess with it. I realize that just marking it as premium only doesn't completely remove that risk, but I've noticed that premium caches in my (pretty urban) area tend to go missing far less.

  • Upvote 4
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post

Yes, lots of newbies lately, some paying PM right away and just as The Leprechauns I noticed that the logs of several caches didn't contain their signatures. One cache had a blank log even though the newbie "found" it the day before. Strange thing is they logged several DNFs on that series and even logged the bonus (but no signature there too).

 

 

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, on4bam said:

Yes, lots of newbies lately, some paying PM right away and just as The Leprechauns I noticed that the logs of several caches didn't contain their signatures. One cache had a blank log even though the newbie "found" it the day before. Strange thing is they logged several DNFs on that series and even logged the bonus (but no signature there too).

 

 

 

Yesterday one of my two PMO caches, a T4 multi, was logged by a brand new one-day-old PM newbie. Never visited the website but does at least appear to have a validated email address. The online log looks legitimate but the cache is too far from home for me to check until our travel restrictions are lifted. It just seems a bit odd that someone would pick a cache like that for their first find, unless they live close to the trail head I suppose.

Edited by barefootjeff
  • Funny 1
  • Surprised 1

Share this post


Link to post

I've seen a lot of odd logs recently from Coronapocalypse inspired new geocachers. I've been rolling my eyes at some of them.

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post

Yes.  I've received several e-mails from a brand new premium member about a 4/1.5 mystery cache that I had found.  The cacher spent a few hours searching the original coords, not knowing what a mystery cache is.  She started a FaceBook page for help.  But isn't really getting much help solving the puzzle.  

  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Harry Dolphin said:

Yes.  I've received several e-mails from a brand new premium member about a 4/1.5 mystery cache that I had found.  The cacher spent a few hours searching the original coords, not knowing what a mystery cache is.  She started a FaceBook page for help.  But isn't really getting much help solving the puzzle.  

That is one of my examples!.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Back to the original post; I used search to ask for caches I own that are PMO. I removed PMO status from one of them.  So thanks Scruffster for the reminder. 

On the other hand, I noticed a couple of my challenges where i had removed PMO status in response to requests from individuals. I need to add it back. Ammo cans at coords, they tend to gather not qualifying find logs.

 

The others are PMO for assorted reasons that I think are valid.  Some I've tried both ways, and now just leave PMO ~ so the mystery bogus coords don't gather dnfs, or ;-) finds, a multi that was basic  until a recently installed historical marker brought more traffic to that forest road, and  it started gathering  "finds" on the first stage (I have succeeded in getting those finders to figure out how to edit "find" to "write note". It's a lot of work, I'd rather not).

 It hasn't  been found in 5 years, and harking to The Leprechaun's post, if someone actually finds it, they may care about the "lonely".

 

Edited by Isonzo Karst
  • Funny 1
  • Surprised 1

Share this post


Link to post

Muggles with apps. Probably not enough Pokestuff around to find and saw a "suggestion" about "apps you might like".

They created their account since the lockdown went into effect and have no clue how geocaching works.

Strange they log finds they really found (name in log), DNFs when they didn't find the cache and founds without writing their names in the log.

 

 

  • Funny 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, on4bam said:

Yes, lots of newbies lately, some paying PM right away 

 

 

I've noticed these PM newbies as well and thought there is a possibility to try PM for free... But now I see you need a code for free trial so they are really paying: https://www.geocaching.com/freetrial/

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Scruffster said:

I'm old, very old.  And an old geocacher from the days when it was just a few geeks wandering the woods. 

We welcomed everyone into the fold back then.

 

 We remember when caches and cacher numbers were low,  but like you it was still four years after the hobby started.    :)

We welcome folks into the hobby whenever we get the opportunity, but things are different now...

 

"Back then" was still well-before most members had sorta-smart phones.  We all used a handheld GPSr, that we had to buy to participate.

Even a basic member was invested in the hobby, after shelling out a couple hundred bucks for one.

We had to learn how to use them before we could play.  We loaded caches from the site.

Today, any kid with a sorta-smart phone simply taps in a free app with no investment, and they're now looking for other people's property.

Others seem to be noticing now too, the no hides/finds premium member.  That's an odd twist...

We don't see new phone kids rushing to socialise with "very old" people.   That different near you ?

Hopefully they all read some of geocaching 101, or watched a video...

"Muggles with apps" is a thing.  Anyone  that had caches moved/taken/replaced elsewhere by one can attest  (we're one...).

 

  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
59 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Even a basic member was invested in the hobby, after shelling out a couple hundred bucks for one.

 

So true. It covers the early days of geocaching--a sense of investment in the hobby.

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, cerberus1 said:

"Back then" was still well-before most members had sorta-smart phones.  We all used a handheld GPSr, that we had to buy to participate.

Even a basic member was invested in the hobby, after shelling out a couple hundred bucks for one.

Just a quibble. I started in the pre-smartphone era, but I did not buy a handheld GPSr until after I had found hundreds of geocaches without one.

 

But that's just a quibble, because I was invested in the hobby, because each cache I found required non-trivial effort to navigate to GZ. I couldn't just run a free app, click "Go", and follow the arrow.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

Yesterday one of my two PMO caches, a T4 multi, was logged by a brand new one-day-old PM newbie. Never visited the website but does at least appear to have a validated email address. The online log looks legitimate but the cache is too far from home for me to check until our travel restrictions are lifted. It just seems a bit odd that someone would pick a cache like that for their first find, unless they live close to the trail head I suppose.

 

Maybe they were ready to go but didn't think of trying it until for whatever reason they were in the vicinity. My first find was 240km from home, because on a whim I decided to open the app I downloaded days earlier and search there. So who knows <shrug>

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

 

 We remember when caches and cacher numbers were low,  but like you it was still four years after the hobby started.    :)

We welcome folks into the hobby whenever we get the opportunity, but things are different now...

 

"Back then" was still well-before most members had sorta-smart phones.  We all used a handheld GPSr, that we had to buy to participate.

Even a basic member was invested in the hobby, after shelling out a couple hundred bucks for one.

We had to learn how to use them before we could play.  We loaded caches from the site.

Today, any kid with a sorta-smart phone simply taps in a free app with no investment, and they're now looking for other people's property.

Others seem to be noticing now too, the no hides/finds premium member.  That's an odd twist...

We don't see new phone kids rushing to socialise with "very old" people.   That different near you ?

Hopefully they all read some of geocaching 101, or watched a video...

"Muggles with apps" is a thing.  Anyone  that had caches moved/taken/replaced elsewhere by one can attest  (we're one...).

 

I understand that non premium caches are open to any teen with a smartphone.  And I've been apprehensive about that. But I find that my premium caches go missing more often. We may have invested in 2004 but I found my first 20 geocaches without a GPS just wandering the parks and town squares with nothing more than a hint.  But back then micros were the exception, not the norm and caches were a bit easier to find.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, thebruce0 said:

Maybe they were ready to go but didn't think of trying it until for whatever reason they were in the vicinity. My first find was 240km from home, because on a whim I decided to open the app I downloaded days earlier and search there. So who knows <shrug>

 

We're currently under pretty strict travel restrictions here, basically no travel outside your local area unless for work that can't be done from home or for medical reasons or essential supplies, so it shouldn't have been someone visiting the area. It just seemed odd that they would pick a T4 multi for their first (and still their only) cache as there are a fair number of easier ones in the vicinity. I'm curious to see whether they actually found the cache or only got to the first waypoint and thought that was it, but I won't be able to check until the travel restrictions are lifted.

  • Upvote 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, niraD said:

Just a quibble. I started in the pre-smartphone era, but I did not buy a handheld GPSr until after I had found hundreds of geocaches without one.

 

But that's just a quibble, because I was invested in the hobby, because each cache I found required non-trivial effort to navigate to GZ. I couldn't just run a free app, click "Go", and follow the arrow.

I also found my first 180 caches without a GPS. I picked the caches carefully to do and then my car Tom Tom got me close (I also often printed out the cache instructions and hint on waste A4 paper) and once there I used common sense to navigate to the cache after that. Such as where would I hide a cache, is that bent grass/moved pebble/broken twig and which way do they indicate. I was also atypical (basically stingy), as I didn't pay for membership until after I bought my GPS. I notice that most beginners where I live become paying members very soon after joining.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

 

We're currently under pretty strict travel restrictions here, basically no travel outside your local area unless for work that can't be done from home or for medical reasons or essential supplies, so it shouldn't have been someone visiting the area. It just seemed odd that they would pick a T4 multi for their first (and still their only) cache as there are a fair number of easier ones in the vicinity. I'm curious to see whether they actually found the cache or only got to the first waypoint and thought that was it, but I won't be able to check until the travel restrictions are lifted.

Fortunately in the ACT we are not as restricted as you in NSW, although restricted to our land-locked 'island', but then we had less covid-19 cases (but we also have a smaller population), and also perhaps it makes a difference that we have the highest level of education in Australia. More people might 'get it' and keep their distance without needing more restrictions to force them. From what I have noticed, people are adhering voluntarily to keeping their distance and mostly staying at home, except for work, medical visits, food shopping and exercise. Anyone thinking this isn't necessary, is in a VERY small minority here. So without enforcement, the effect here is the same; it's working. That means though that I can check my caches in walking and cycling distance, as part of my daily exercise. I had a couple of those 'Muggles with apps', as so apply worded above, the other day. I checked the cache and no signatures, so sent a message to one of them. The other's email wasn't validated. I didn't hear back, so I deleted them. I still haven't heard back.

I have some premier members caches only and they are that to keep 'Muggles with apps' like that away from them.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

 I notice that most beginners where I live become paying members very soon after joining.

 

Depending on which app is used, most of the apps are restricted on number of caches and D/T and types of cache.

Easier/better to pay for Premium and see more in your area that are close to you.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

I have some premier members caches only and they are that to keep 'Muggles with apps' like that away from them.

 

I'd guess that works well for those not really looking for anything other than what they're doing at that time.    :)

But the site gives a temp PM to new folks simply by asking for one at HQ, and we noticed a promotion a while ago that gave basic members PM during it.

We became pm soon after joining, the only reason was for notifications, and that's still pretty-much the only reason today.

 - But if we wanted to make full use of a "temp PM",  we realized we'd make a PQ , or at least write down access of every pmo cache in our area before it expired.    ;)

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post

I think before rushing to condemn any new players who aren't playing the game "correctly" - be it logging caches they have not signed (let's not immediately jump to the conclusion they didn't find them) or submitting extremely brief, even 1 word, logs - try to put yourselves in their shoes for a moment and realise that a lot of the finer points of this game, such as the fact that geocaches are placed by other "people", not some faceless company, and those people appreciate decent feedback, are not exactly made clear for a new player, particularly one who simply downloads an app that looks like a fun thing to do with so much downtime currently.  Really, now is the time to gently educate new players as you see them log your caches, if they're not playing the game exactly right.  Have some compassion, you don't know what people are going through individually and why they've reached out and considered taking up this hobby.

  • Upvote 5
  • Funny 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, funkymunkyzone said:

Really, now is the time to gently educate new players as you see them log your caches, if they're not playing the game exactly right.

 

While I agree  with your post,   the few logs that I've actually deleted have come from players without a validated email address. I can't email, and message doesn't seem to work.  I try both, explain that they have not"found" my challenge cache, wait 6 months, delete find.  

 

I have little issue with brief logs, though I've responded pretty negatively to "werqmb" as a find log on one of my multis (no signature of course).   I do agree with your premise that some aren't aware that their log is sent to a person who lives near them, and volunteers to place the cache for fun.

 

This isn't new by the way, some of the early obnoxious logs I recall getting were things like, "needs more stuff",  "nothing worth taking" . Although at that time, the site used, "high tech treasure hunt", which encouraged the notion that good stuff was out there for the taking. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'm not EXACTLY a new user; I signed up when I bought a GPS many, many years ago, well before smartphones. I found a few, signed the log, and went home to jump on my PC and sign the online log. 

Time got away from me, as it does with life, and I stopped playing. I only recently started back up again with the family. I haven't been signing logs, as I had no pen and the MULTITUDE of micros and nanos didn't exactly have room to hold one. Also, I go with the wife nowadays and she's not the patient type. Making her wait while I type out a small novel about my day for each cache isn't exactly good for my health. When she's ready to go, you don't make her wait.

What does all this mean? Apparently, I have always played this thing incorrectly. I can't write a soliloquy that seems to be expected of me, but I'll do better, and I'll sign each paper log. I'm interested in maybe getting a premium membership, but I wonder if there's a way to get a trial code without buying a new GPS. If anyone has a lead, could you advise? I did reach out to Groundspeak on Twitter, but they seem to be AWOL.

 

To those I've logged but not signed and those who I was less than verbose in my comments:

I apologize.

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Mattwathen said:

I'm not EXACTLY a new user; I signed up when I bought a GPS many, many years ago, well before smartphones. I found a few, signed the log, and went home to jump on my PC and sign the online log. 

Time got away from me, as it does with life, and I stopped playing. I only recently started back up again with the family. I haven't been signing logs, as I had no pen and the MULTITUDE of micros and nanos didn't exactly have room to hold one. Also, I go with the wife nowadays and she's not the patient type. Making her wait while I type out a small novel about my day for each cache isn't exactly good for my health. When she's ready to go, you don't make her wait.

What does all this mean? Apparently, I have always played this thing incorrectly. I can't write a soliloquy that seems to be expected of me, but I'll do better, and I'll sign each paper log. I'm interested in maybe getting a premium membership, but I wonder if there's a way to get a trial code without buying a new GPS. If anyone has a lead, could you advise? I did reach out to Groundspeak on Twitter, but they seem to be AWOL.

 

To those I've logged but not signed and those who I was less than verbose in my comments:

I apologize.

 

Do you realize you can write 'draft' logs in the field? 

 

Both my GPSr and the smartphone app have a feature where I click 'LOG" and type just a few words to remind me about this cache, as opposed to all the others I hit in a day, like, "Muddy slipped by the fence", "Black box with legos" or "Down betw big rocks," etc.

 

On the official app, you can switch an individual log between PUBLISH and DRAFT, depending on how much you have left unsaid.
 

Then I go home, and if I'm using my GPSr I upload them, or if I'm using the app, I go to "DRAFTS" on my profile, where my notes are patiently waiting for me.

 

Happy wife, oh, you know.

  • Helpful 3

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, Mattwathen said:

I'm not EXACTLY a new user; I signed up when I bought a GPS many, many years ago, well before smartphones. I found a few, signed the log, and went home to jump on my PC and sign the online log. 

Time got away from me, as it does with life, and I stopped playing. I only recently started back up again with the family.

I haven't been signing logs, as I had no pen and the MULTITUDE of micros and nanos didn't exactly have room to hold one. Also, I go with the wife nowadays and she's not the patient type. Making her wait while I type out a small novel about my day for each cache isn't exactly good for my health. When she's ready to go, you don't make her wait.

What does all this mean? Apparently, I have always played this thing incorrectly. I can't write a soliloquy that seems to be expected of me, but I'll do better, and I'll sign each paper log. I'm interested in maybe getting a premium membership, but I wonder if there's a way to get a trial code without buying a new GPS. If anyone has a lead, could you advise? I did reach out to Groundspeak on Twitter, but they seem to be AWOL.

 

Just so you're aware, we've used phones to cache well-before you started.    :)     

Just luck I guess that a CO never bothered to check.   Seeing your "find count" go down sometimes wakes folks up about signing logs.

There's never been a requirement to include a pen/pencil in caches.  COs do that to be helpful for those who forget.

 - Each time we do maintenance, all the pens/pencils are gone, along with the sharpeners inside too.

You don't have to sign the online log while at the cache, I still sign my logs at home.   No need to stress out the other half.  ;)

 

I feel the best way to contact HQ when asking something important like a temp PM would be directly through their Contact Us.

That link is on the bottom of all geocaching.com pages.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

One could just take a note book and pen/pencil do the full log later at home. Too easy?

Edited by colleda
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Found itFound it    04/25/2020

The hint is a lie under the logs dadgum it

 

Quote

Found itFound it  

04/25/2020

Easy dubs multitrunk = like 7 trunks

 

Quote

Found itFound it  04/25/2020

ps: not in tree

 

New cacher - four finds.  Three on mine.  Such great logs!  Those are railroad ties, not logs.  Surprise!  The very young conifer is still a tree!

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/27/2020 at 7:45 AM, Mattwathen said:

I'm not EXACTLY a new user; I signed up when I bought a GPS many, many years ago, well before smartphones. I found a few, signed the log, and went home to jump on my PC and sign the online log. 

Time got away from me, as it does with life, and I stopped playing. I only recently started back up again with the family. I haven't been signing logs, as I had no pen and the MULTITUDE of micros and nanos didn't exactly have room to hold one. Also, I go with the wife nowadays and she's not the patient type. Making her wait while I type out a small novel about my day for each cache isn't exactly good for my health. When she's ready to go, you don't make her wait.

What does all this mean? Apparently, I have always played this thing incorrectly. I can't write a soliloquy that seems to be expected of me, but I'll do better, and I'll sign each paper log. I'm interested in maybe getting a premium membership, but I wonder if there's a way to get a trial code without buying a new GPS. If anyone has a lead, could you advise? I did reach out to Groundspeak on Twitter, but they seem to be AWOL.

 

To those I've logged but not signed and those who I was less than verbose in my comments:

I apologize.

I as good as never log in the field. I do that once I get home and sit at my computer. Too tedious and it would slow down the caching if I did that in the field. I also like to write reasonable logs, and that's too difficult on a phone. Besides, I prefer to use a GPS and I can't log on that. I have been caching with others who hold others up while they insist on logging in the field. Their logs are usually very basic too.

The paper log must be signed though. Some COs never check their caches so you can get away with those, but others will delete non-signed logs.

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/22/2020 at 12:14 PM, cerberus1 said:

"Back then" was still well-before most members had sorta-smart phones.  We all used a handheld GPSr, that we had to buy to participate.

Even a basic member was invested in the hobby, after shelling out a couple hundred bucks for one.

We had to learn how to use them before we could play.  We loaded caches from the site.

Today, any kid with a sorta-smart phone simply taps in a free app with no investment, and they're now looking for other people's property.

 

Really neat rundown of the history of geocaching.  I did it for a few years without any equipment--but I had to look each one up on Google Earth, make detailed notes on where it was, and try to find them based on that.  I could only do urban caches--couldn't even think about anything out in the wilderness.  That was years ago, and I only logged a couple dozen then gave up because I just couldn't do much more without an actual GPS.

 

Today, I use an app on my phone.  And I feel like I have earned this.  Because I did it back before it was easy, I know what the game is about, and I respect it.  I appreciate the free apps, but I really do understand the frustration with it as well, because it would be nice if these newbies would take some time to figure out what they are doing before they go out and do it.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post

I hadn't noticed many newbies until this week and now I have been getting about 3 a day. I have no idea why. It would be nice if some of them stuck around as there aren't that many regular players near where I live but there are time when I wonder if they understand the game. I have gotten a couple messages thanking me for the cache but they never bothered to log it. I am curious to wonder whether or not they signed the log book. Guess that means a trip out to the cache to find out.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Guess I'm a glorified 'muggle with an app'. as I started a few years ago with my smart phone. I still haven't purchased a gps. Several years ago I was one of these newbies, blind to obvious finds, leaving stupid, short logs, a pic that gave away a cool container and even a 'helpful' throw down. Apologies to the COs for that stuff.

 

I've learned a lot about caching, etiquette and what makes a really good cache. I've learned to leave decent logs because I enjoy receiving them on my caches. But I was one of these despised new cachers with no appreciation of 'how caching used to be'.

 

I've been receiving lots of newbie logs on my caches. I have to check them much more often because I can't be sure they were replaced properly, but I'm happy to see new players. I hope some will stick with it. None of my caches are PO but I have some higher D/T ratings that will not show in the app for Basic users and adding a puzzle will usually keep newbies away.

 

 

Edited by G0ldNugget
veered off topic for a moment.
  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, G0ldNugget said:

Guess I'm a glorified 'muggle with an app'. as I started a few years ago with my smart phone. I still haven't purchased a gps. Several years ago I was one of these newbies, blind to obvious finds, leaving stupid, short logs, a pic that gave away a cool container and even a 'helpful' throw down. Apologies to the COs for that stuff.

 

I've learned a lot about caching, etiquette and what makes a really good cache. I've learned to leave decent logs because I enjoy receiving them on my caches. But I was one of these despised new cachers with no appreciation of 'how caching used to be'.

 

I've been receiving lots of newbie logs on my caches. I have to check them much more often because I can't be sure they were replaced properly, but I'm happy to see new players. I hope some will stick with it. None of my caches are PO but I have some higher D/T ratings that will not show in the app for Basic users and adding a puzzle will usually keep newbies away.

 

 

Most of us started out that way. I did have a GPSr  from pretty close to the beginning (before that I used a car nav system to get me within about 50 meters or so) but it took me about a month to figure out about guardrail caches.

 

Anyway, I figured out way I am getting such an inflex of newbies. Apparently some influencer in Japan posted about geocaching on his Tik Tok site and it has had about 200,000 views. As a result my local area is getting more visitors than it normally would during a long weekend despite all the corona precautions. Absolutely none of the cachers are regulars or experienced. I don't mind the finders so much but I am getting piles of messages which declare 'I found the cache' (but they never logged it either online or at site) or 'this is difficult give me a hint' (the cache has a hint that reads 'back of the drain pipe'). Fortunately, I have the time to respond to most of these messages.

  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I just had another two-word log on one of my bushland hides by a PM newbie who's never visited the website. It used to be just basic members but now they all seem to be PM from the get-go yet with apparently no interest in learning anything about the game. Is there some free-PM promotion going on we don't know about?

  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post

PM without visiting the website means they have the app and purchased PM through the app.  But it really does make me wish there was more being done for educating that particular portion of the user demographic... =/

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

PM without visiting the website means they have the app and purchased PM through the app.  But it really does make me wish there was more being done for educating that particular portion of the user demographic... =/

I'm thinking that this is likely why during the pandemic I saw more than the usual amount of noobs logging DNF on puzzles they never solved.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

PM without visiting the website means they have the app and purchased PM through the app.  But it really does make me wish there was more being done for educating that particular portion of the user demographic... =/

PM was paid... mission accomplished. Maybe they even have automatic renew enabled and will realize they are still PM when they see their next bank/cc statement. :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post

We have been getting just a few newbies recently. In general I have been getting 10 new newbies a day for the last three weeks. The most bothersome thing is that I have been so occupied with answering newbie questions, repairing damaged caches, checking caches , etc. that I have had no time to look for any caches myself.

 

https://project-gc.com/Statistics/LogsPerDate?country=Japan&submit=Filter

Share this post


Link to post

There has been an increase in newbie Geocachers finding my Non-Premium caches lately. I would say that they tend to be younger probably teenagers and in their early 20s in age, and they appreciate the game. Some have taken liberties with swag in a couple of my caches that I try to keep stocked with swag but I view this as a need to provide information to newbies on Geocaching. I get the sense that due to the quarantine, they are looking for outdoor hobbies/activities and that they have an appreciation of the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Johnnyhotcakes said:

they have an appreciation of the game. 

Not all of them...

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 6

×
×
  • Create New...