Placing a cache on your own property

geocat_

Just wondering what everyone's opinions are about this. I have found 3 caches which were located on the CO's personal property. I found one today that was a multi and the final stage had you open a lock to an apartment patio. The cache was right there under their patio table. No one seemed to be home at the time I was there, but I felt a bit weird being so close to someone's home like that.

I am not willing to have people come up on my deck to grab a cache, but was thinking about putting one in a tree stump beside my driveway. I guess it comes down to how safe I feel drawing attention to my home and letting people know where I live, but just wanted to hear what you have to say.

The big danger in such caches is that our little handheld units are only accurate to about 15 to 25 feet. It could be pretty easy to stray onto a neighbors property - you can only hope they know about the cache and are friendly....

Good point. I have a tree stump that I carved into a cat head with a chainsaw a couple of years ago. I was thinking about painting the base under the cat head with the geocaching colors so the hide would be pretty obvious. We would definitely tell our neighbors as well.

The big danger in such caches is that our little handheld units are only accurate to about 15 to 25 feet. It could be pretty easy to stray onto a neighbors property - you can only hope they know about the cache and are friendly....

Good point. I have a tree stump that I carved into a cat head with a chainsaw a couple of years ago. I was thinking about painting the base under the cat head with the geocaching colors so the hide would be pretty obvious. We would definitely tell our neighbors as well.

Almost every cache I have done on a private property that is close to other homes have not been favorites of mine. If you are going to do it, please leave explicit instructions of what house you should be looking for to prevent you from going into the neighbor's yard and make sure they know. Have seen a few good ones in people's front yards, but that's not the norm.

I have a cache on my dad's property but it is 100yds and across a country road from the house. The neighbors know about it and they are over a tenth of a mile away, each. I did one in a cacher's front yard the other day. It also was rural and clearly said the neighbors knew about the cache. I would not do one where I had to unlock a patio gate.......way too much room for error.

I've had a cache on my front porch since 2004.

It's really big and obvious.

The hint is our house number.

People come at all hours of the day and night, and there have never been any problems for them or us.

Sometimes they ring the bell and we get to meet some good people we couldn't have met any other way.

Mine's Bigger!

Mine's Still Bigger!

We found your Mine's Bigger! cache when it was just ten days old. It was one of the highlights of our visit to the area when we had only been caching for about three months. B)

If he is paying his rent then he has adequate permission.

That depends upon what the lease says, and what kind of property it is.

Renting a freestanding house? Probably won't have trouble.

Putting a cache in the parking lot or greenspace of a 1000-unit complex? Not a good idea.

I have now the second cache in my front garden. By having it at home you can do things with it you can not do when it was placed in the field.

When I place ont in my garden I make sure:

- It is mentioned in the listing

- Make sure it is known which garden

- Make sure the cache location is obvious (I don't want them to dig in my garden :laughing: )

- Make sure the neighbours know

I once was searching in the wrong garden. Not nice when it happens. You have to do some explanation...

Also had once a neighbour came asking what I was doning in the garden of his neighbour.

I just want to make sure these things do not happen when somebody was looking for my cache!

Bad idea for too many reasons. Could be a place that you would not want your children to be.

seriously?

do you want your kids on the street at all?

we did quite a few caches placed in front yards

no problem as long as the description clearly states that it is on residential property

Edited by t4e

Make sure you archive it when you move

OMG!

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I'll give it some time and more consideration. We live on a cul-de-sac and the hide would be very obvious as previously indicated, using the geocaching logo painted on the tree stump. It would be a true PnG unless I felt like talking to someone. We'll see....

Let your neighbors in on it so they don't get spooked by the extra activity.

I am glad I found this post. I am planning on putting a cache on my property. On this piece we have 65 acres. I plan on putting it along the dirt road and there are no houses along it that are close to it. I'll have a pull off that will be an indication as to where to park. Then the cache won't be too far away. I will not say what kind of cache it will be since someone from my area my read this. I plan on it being really neat though. Thanks again.

I actually passed up a FTF back last Nov/Dec (we were just getting our first snowfall here in MN)

The cache was on the CO's property - stated house number clearly on the cache page

After driving thru town and passing the town cop, I got to the house

No one seemed to be home and knowing that town cop was only a few blocks away and could drive by any moment I decided to pass it up

If I could see that someone was home, I would have knocked on the door and said hello and let them know I was there to find their cache

And I would have felt more comfortable looking for it

And then the cache was archived a few months later

Not a fan