Music/ Song on Cache Page Listings

TreePlanter

A few years ago there were some cache page listings that had a song linked to the cache listing page. I liked them a lot. I think it would be great to have some background music linked to the cache listing.

For example, have some Dancing With Wolves music with my Wolf Wilderness Caches. I would like Groundspeak look into it as a new optional cache listing possiblility. It would add to the fun.

Edited by TreePlanter

No! No! No! They were discontinued for a good reason. They're annoying! YMMV

I hate websites that play unsolicited music. I would hate to see cache pages allowed to do that. I want music when I ask for it, not when it is forced on me.

Cool idea, but yea I agree it would be annoying.

Maybe there could be a option to play/not to play music in your profile.

A few years ago there were some cache page listings that had a song linked to the cache listing page. I liked them a lot. I think it would be great to have some background music linked to the cache listing.

For example, have some Dancing With Wolves music with my Wolf Wilderness Caches. I would like Groundspeak look into it as a new optional cache listing possiblility. It would add to the fun.

I would close your page ASAP and thus never look for your cache. I think that the most annoying thing on the Internet is when I follow a link to a page that starts playing sound effects or music, without my permission. It seems that over the years, the majority of web designers have figured this out and stopped using the practice.

I hate websites that play unsolicited music. I would hate to see cache pages allowed to do that. I want music when I ask for it, not when it is forced on me.

Not going to happen. This was discontinued way, way back, I'll bet 2005 or so. It ain't never coming back. :)

Not going to happen. This was discontinued way, way back, I'll bet 2005 or so. It ain't never coming back. :)

...hopefully.

I actually find it fun and refreshing to have a web page play music unexpectedly.

No, I'm kidding. It generally makes me want to punch the Internet.

What you can do is link to an MP3 or WAV file from the cache page (with the standard Groundspeak warning / disclaimer) and give folks the option of listening to the music or not. I have a puzzle with an audio file that goes that route; no reason you couldn't do the same to include some atmospheric music. I'd have no problem with that, and might even click on it depending on my mood. But without the option, my mood would probably be pretty sour.

That's more annoying then TYPING IN ALL CAPS...okay maybe they are equally annoying. Makes me think of ringback tones. I respect your freedom of choice, please respect mine and don't try and force feed me your musical choices.

I remember the first time I was met by some song in a genre I don't listen to often blaring back at me. I hung up the phone and tried again thinking I must have done something wrong in my dialing as my ringing was gone.

Gee, I thought music might be kinda nice.

In lieu of that, if you are creative you might try doing what a lot of cachers do around here and create parodies to well known songs..for example...

Young man, are you filled with the blues

Because caching's worn a hole in your shoes?

Are you tired of the hills you must climb

For that cache you can't seem to find?

Don't fret, you don't need to feel down

Here's a quick one, in the middle of town

There's no need to walk about in a fog

If you want to add this one to your log--

You'll find this cache at the Y-M-C-A!

Come find this cache at the Y-M-C-A!

You can grab it real quick on your way to the Gym

Or right after a nice cool swim

Yes there's a cache at the Y-M-C-A

My Cache Awaits at the Y-M-C-A!

You can find it by night, you can find it by day

Sign the log and be on your way!

(By now you should have some idea where this cache is hidden) Seems at times they are trying to see who can out do the others and come up with the best one. Weird Al watch out.

If a cache page played music when I loaded it without me clicking a link or button to start the music, I would do everything in my power to get that cache archived.

I HIGHLY agree in how annoying unsolicited music is. But you crossed the line saying you'd do everything in your power to have it archived. Man, what is this world coming to?

If a cache page played music when I loaded it without me clicking a link or button to start the music, I would do everything in my power to get that cache archived.

I HIGHLY agree in how annoying unsolicited music is. But you crossed the line saying you'd do everything in your power to have it archived. Man, what is this world coming to?

ARRR!

Archive the POS!

The owner can easily get it re-instated after the blasted music is DELETED!

ARRR!

Well, some years ago I hit a cache page by ic-nevadamike, GC37D1, Pandora's Box. This is a cache in the desert. The first stage is in a cave. Not easy to get too. I know, I have tried 2 times so far. The music to this cache page was very creative. It is too bad it has been removed from his page. I have always wanted to complete the cache. It is still on my "To Do " list. A "Top Notch" top quality cache page. I think music would add to the creativity of the page and caches in the future. HOWEVER: I can see where it would be annoying on Guard Rail micros in the city. Or all Dash N Cache ~ Caches. I would not like that either. No music on micros or city caches. Ever. :>)

Edited by TreePlanter

Forced music on any web page is a big no no in web page design. That sort of thing was considered bad design back in the 90s. For the simple fact that its annoying. The last thing people need is to be checking things out online in there cubical. Then suddenly they get to a page, not realizing there speaker lvl, and suddenly there PC is blaring music. Brings allot of unwanted attention and questions from your boss.

I hate facebook games for this as well since the music and sound effects default to on.

Really? It's that annoying? I've never even given it much thought before now. It doesn't bother me. I guess I tune it out. Of course, being a former music theory major, I can alwsys hear a new nuance in a piece of music that I find intriguing.

I can hear that new nuance too. Unfortunately I don't find all music intriguing. In fact there is quite a lot that makes my hair hurt. Yes, it's that annoying, at least most of the time. And it eats resources I would rather use for seeing the page quickly.

I personally was never "annoyed" by this. And I'm sure most people responding to this and the many threads over the years on the subject are talking about the internet in general, and not just cache pages. Of course I should admit I had a very small 10K toilet flushing sound .wav file on one of my caches in like 2005. And now that I think about it, also an equally small Kosmo Cramer sound clip on another. <_<

Still, it was eliminated in like 2006, and ain't never coming back.