Where do you NOT want to go caching?

One day I was randomly punching in locations around the world to see how many caches were at various places (the ones in Greenland were kind of interesting). I then punched in Beijing.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I really think being a Caucasian American citizen walking around the capital city of a restrictive Communist nation with a GPS would require a stealth rating of at least 10. :D

Even if you had your choice of ANYWHERE, where would you NOT go?

I don't know about the rest of you, but I really think being a Caucasian American citizen walking around the capital city of a restrictive Communist nation with a GPS would require a stealth rating of at least 10. :P

NYpaddler just got back from Beijing and it sounds like he had a blast. That said, I think there are some restrictions on GPS use there. Cuba would be a toughy too. I read that GPS is a real no-no there.

There are plenty of places on the globe that are not on my "Want to Visit" list, but at the risk of offending folks that may hail from those places, I wont mention them. Besides, I could be very wrong about them, as I learned this summer.

I booked a cruise over the summer and one stop was Haiti. Never a place I would think of for a vacation. Granted, the cruise ship company owns the land and has a giant wall around it, hidden in the jungle, but it was a beautiful spot and had a very old cache site that I had the privilege of upgrading.

One day I was randomly punching in locations around the world to see how many caches were at various places (the ones in Greenland were kind of interesting). I then punched in Beijing.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I really think being a Caucasian American citizen walking around the capital city of a restrictive Communist nation with a GPS would require a stealth rating of at least 10. :P

Coincidentally, I was in Beijing last week. On my way to the Tiananmen square virtual I had to pass through a security checkpoint. I stood in a line of mostly asian tourists and watched bags and purses being searched. When I got to the front of the line I was waved through. Other than the touts trying to sell me something at tourist areas I found all the Chinese I met there, including those with a badge, very friendly.

There may be places I don't want to GO, but I want to find geocaches wherever I AM.

If I happened to be near a desert power trail, I would find a couple of the caches. When I go to Home Depot, I will check to see if there's a cache in the parking lot. If I am in a "bad" part of town, i will be careful but I'm not going to pass up a nearby cache.

Duluth, MN would normally not be on my preferred vacation list, but I am thinking of going to a professional conference there and try to pick up 4 new geostates :P

There may be places I don't want to GO, but I want to find geocaches wherever I AM.

If I happened to be near a desert power trail, I would find a couple of the caches. When I go to Home Depot, I will check to see if there's a cache in the parking lot. If I am in a "bad" part of town, i will be careful but I'm not going to pass up a nearby cache.

Duluth, MN would normally not be on my preferred vacation list, but I am thinking of going to a professional conference there and try to pick up 4 new geostates :P

depending on how long you will be in Duluth you will have tons of places to visit and lots of incredible scenerly up the north shore to check out. i got into caching after i moved from NW MN to IA and i am planning a trip up there soon.

i know i will not have enough time to visit all the ppl i want to and cache all i want to, but still gonna run around northern MN caching.

i do not remember how close it is to duluth but MN's oldest is up in N MN. alvin's phone line i think is the name. there are many waterfalls up the north shore and i would guess many earth caches as well. enger tower is one i plan on hitting when i get to Duluth.

i also want to revisit the ariel lift bridge. idk if there are any caches nearby but still it is interesting to watch the container ships go under it.

split rock lighthouse is an icon up the north shore as is Gooseberry falls. there are other places, but those are the closer ones.

glensheen mansion in duluth is another interesting place. eery story around that place.

enger tower

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...f4-b36b4ae7e11e

alvin's phone line it appears to be quite the haul from duluth though now that i look

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ff-5884516f5f51

be warned though depending on time of year you go to duluth it can be COLD. as it is N MN and the wind coming across lake superior has no mercy.

as for where i do not want to go caching?

so far i have no such list.

everyplace i do go i wanna grab at least one cache.

Monty

North Korea and Syria where GPS use is prohibited to both citizens and foreigners alike. The North Korea cache was quickly archived since it was primarily a virtual, but there are some in Syria.

Apart from that I do not want to cache where I just spent ten hours caching with two friends. Alongside of a lake that is accessible only from a ridge 1000 feet above. Bushwhacking down to the lake is easy enough. Then a moderate walk along the steep sides. After the first three down there (which I had done a few years ago) the walk becomes tougher, particilarly as the lake is higher. Very steep sides. Downed trees on the side and above. Thickets. A one or two inch splinter ended up in the corner of my eye. Slipped and hit a rock that sent shooting pain up the back. But I got to see osprey on the lake. Slipped and went knee deep into the lake. Three caches later and a 1000 foot cllimb back up. A forest decimated by Sudden Oak. We were lucky to get a 50 foot spot to provide a way up. Mostly over, under, and through an unbelievable scene of destruction. Not to mention the vine like plants that grabbed legs. Back to the fire road and a two+ mile walk back. I am done with that place. Any future caches go to the ignore list. But I will enjoy writing the logs tomorrow.

Edited by mulvaney

Cuba would be a toughy too. I read that GPS is a real no-no there.

I think you can get a GPS from within Cuba, but you can't bring them into the country. Of course, if you're an American trying to visit Cuba, you have bigger issues to deal with.

Yes the whole "Cuban" situation has become very outdated and time to be normalized. BUT its nice to have Canadian relatives that can bring me back REAL Uhum,,, well you know,, Cuban Sandwiches. yeah,, thats what Im saying sandwiches :anibad:

Cuba would be a toughy too. I read that GPS is a real no-no there.

I think you can get a GPS from within Cuba, but you can't bring them into the country. Of course, if you're an American trying to visit Cuba, you have bigger issues to deal with.

Yes the whole "Cuban" situation has become very outdated and time to be normalized. BUT its nice to have Canadian relatives that can bring me back REAL Uhum,,, well you know,, Cuban Sandwiches. yeah,, thats what Im saying sandwiches :anibad:

We don't even need to go all the way to Cuba to get those "sandwiches." They sell them in the "sandwich" shops here. :grin:

Well, I generally appear to be a very large redneck and with good cause. I think it would be a good idea for me to stay away from that new muslim religious center near Ground Zero. I do not relish the idea of being mistaken as the front man for the Southern Liberationist Armed Warriors. I mean, how would you lookat a grizzly 35 year old male, 400 pounds, wearing a yellow bookbag and walking suspiciouslyaround a Mosque and poking a stick into bomb sized crevasses.

Sometimes you don't know that you shouldn't go into an area. Back in 2003 we were headed to the east coast and had just entered West Viriginia from Ky. Not too many caches back then but we planned on looking at a few in Downtown Charleston. We had stopped at a rest stop and talked to a friendly lady State Patrol. When she saw we were old and traveling in a Roadtrek van, she strongly suggested we not go traveling through Downtown Charleston. We never did get a cache in West Virginia until a few years later.

Many center city locations in the Northeast are very tough neighborhoods. I have started compiling a grouping of "virtual" hides in the Historic City of Paterson, NJ-- each one I am examining from the standpoint of --would I not want to ge there. There is a lot of drug sales activity in many neighborhoods, so they have been scratched from consideration as with that there has been an uptick in violent crime. I look the same way at some of the other cities --Bridgeport, New Haven , Hartford CT. Camden, Atlantic City, Newark , Irvington, NJ--You have to rely on hiders to be selective in their choice of location.

Most parking lots.

How about the parking lot of the Adult Book Store on Rte 17? Glad no one saw me there!

Northbound. Hasbrouck Heights. My log got deleted for noting that this was not a family friendly location. Deletion appealed to Contact. Oh, well.

One could argue that these location are family friendly. Some people might need a little extra encouragement to get in the mood to start their families. Who are we to deny them that? :):)

Back OT-I agree with hukilaulau-not everywhere is a geo-destination, but if I have to go there I will want to find a few caches. Unless there are No Trespassing signs in the way.

Northbound. Hasbrouck Heights. My log got deleted for noting that this was not a family friendly location. Deletion appealed to Contact. Oh, well.

I found it!! Umm, errr, not the cache, I mean the listing. Interesting, looks very close to the dumpster. How far from the dumpster?

I believe your log will be reinstated, although the lackey's will probably tell you to refrain from dissing the non-family friendly location on a re-log. Just my guess though.

Well, I generally appear to be a very large redneck and with good cause. I think it would be a good idea for me to stay away from that new muslim religious center near Ground Zero. I do not relish the idea of being mistaken as the front man for the Southern Liberationist Armed Warriors. I mean, how would you lookat a grizzly 35 year old male, 400 pounds, wearing a yellow bookbag and walking suspiciouslyaround a Mosque and poking a stick into bomb sized crevasses.

Wow! You may actually stick out like a sore thumb more than my husband, and I thought that was hard to do. He's a big hairy biker (although not as hairy as some bikers) with a bunch of tattoos and a leather vest.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I really think being a Caucasian American citizen walking around the capital city of a restrictive Communist nation with a GPS would require a stealth rating of at least 10. :)

I've cached in China and Russia without problem. Neither country is as restrictive as you imagine that they are.
New Jersey and South Carolina.

Parking lots

Playgrounds

Electrical boxes

Shrubs in front of a restaurant or other business

Someone's front yard

Stop sign at a four way stop; or any street sign

Behind a dumpster

telephone poles and light poles

park benches

car washes

Just a few - could go on and on - prefer an ammo can in the woods.

I'm with you on all of these!! Except one actually, I've found several "front yard" caches, mostly with children in tow. I actually found 3 in one day in Ohio with two 10 yr. olds along. :)

Of course, if you're an American trying to visit Cuba, you have bigger issues to deal with.

That is what Toronto (YYZ) is for.

Not that simple to just hop on a Cuba bound plane from Toronto, us Americans still aren't allowed to go there. :) Unless we had a fake Canadian Passport or something.

Whatever is the latest excessive power trail in Nevada is at the top of my *never* list.

Forgot about that one. Add that to my list too :unsure:

You know there are about ten ammo cans along that trail that you could find while enjoying the scenery. There are also many dirt roads that lead to other caches.

interesting thoughts on this. we have not hid any yet, but are looking into that. we are planning spring for our first hides. we know what we like to do and have done others if they present themselves.

the other day i was out and about casually scouting and was surprised at the lack of options in some places to hide. when i had looked at the map i was like look at all that available area.....then i get there and i see why there are none there.

Monty