NANO cache, what's the point?

Nano caches are the worst container.

They really need their own size category as some hiders don't mention their size in the cache description.

And looking for a nano is like looking for a needle in a haystack, that's not my definition of fun.

If they had their own size category, I could avoid them.

It's not even a challenge, hiding something large in a small area in plainsight, that's a challenge.

It must be Tuesday.

Edit- It IS Tuesday.... I meant to use this in terms of Buffy. "Willow's in trouble" "Oh, it must be Tuesday again"

*This comment is only meant to point out that this is a very common topic.

**May I suggest the OP look at some of the existing threads on this topic (or the feedback option if you feel strongly about this.

Edited by MooseJawSpruce

They really need their own size category as some hiders don't mention their size in the cache description.

And looking for a nano is like looking for a needle in a haystack, that's not my definition of fun.

If they had their own size category, I could avoid them.

It's not even a challenge, hiding something large in a small area in plainsight, that's a challenge.

I disagree. I have no problem with them, and even enjoy some of them. As with any sized cache, they are sometimes placed appropriately and sometimes not. The size is mentioned as "micro"... defined as "film can or smaller", by the way. However, you are not the only one to feel they need to have their own size category, so you might want to express your opinion on the Feedback site as well.

I reckon that depends on your definition of "worst". My definition focuses on the quality of the container itself, not the volume. Those nanos commonly referred to as blinkies are actually pretty water tight, thanx to a rubber o-ring incorporated into the screw on lid. Much worse containers, (by my own highly biased standards), would include black & grey film cans, Altoids tins, Gladware, hide-a-keys and zip lock baggies covered in tape. For me, finding a wet, moldy log is much worse than finding a dang near microscopic dry one.

I have a series of nano hides in Newport, RI, a fairly "urban" setting. They are all hidden near historical or scenic locations. All listings have "gimme" hints, so they can be found with almost no effort (and I have recovered them for log replacement at all times of the day with no one the wiser).

None of the locations could support anything larger (and I am able to think outside of the box for cache hides).

I get very positive logs from people, thanking me for the scenic tour or history lessons.

i like bushwhacking for them. .... through the thorns and the burrs and the poison ivy... only to find that it IS a nano attached to a poison ivy vine.

if that bushwhacking takes me 800+ feet off trail that's even better. i mean really, why use an ammo can. that would be so much more difficult to lug all the way out there, and as CO, i can see why you'd choose the smaller container. it also saves on the complaints of moldy mctoys...and rocks... and ripped zip lock bags.

I dont agree with the nano-hate philosophy either. We've found some that were well thought out, well placed fun caches. We've also found some that were, well plain bad. That said, we've found tupperware, ammo cans & ziploc bags that were placed in ways that made them plain bad also.

If you ask me, the size of the container isnt what makes a hide fun or not - it's how/where it's hidden.

I agree size doesn't matter. Creative, well thought out hides that have some meaning and substance are what matters. Not that I appreciate trying to find a blinky in a forest with heavy tree cover but it is what it is. That's an owner issue not the nano's fault that the owner placed it there.

I have a series of nano hides in Newport, RI, a fairly "urban" setting. They are all hidden near historical or scenic locations. All listings have "gimme" hints, so they can be found with almost no effort (and I have recovered them for log replacement at all times of the day with no one the wiser).

None of the locations could support anything larger (and I am able to think outside of the box for cache hides).

I get very positive logs from people, thanking me for the scenic tour or history lessons.

If everyone who hid micros took as much pride in their caches I would probably look for more of them.

I do think that nanos need their own size category.

Strawberry is the worst ice cream flavor.

It really needs its own flavor category as some ice cream makers don't mention the flavor in the ice cream description.

And eating strawberry ice cream is like eating rotten fruit, that's not my definition of fun.

If they had their own flavor category, I could avoid them.

It's not even a challenge, making ice cream from vegetables, that's a challenge.

:blink:

There is no point. Never has been and by all indications, never will be.

They are a scourge on mankind and an embarrassment to everyone who is involved in the game of geocaching.

This is the main reason that you never have and likely never will see one of the things featured in the news media who sometimes write articles about the game.

How about the next person who is approached about giving an interview and guided tour of the game to a media rep take them for a rewarding hunt for a nano under a bus stop bench or 'hidden' on a newspaper vending machine.

Please do try and find one that does not reek of urine.

Edited by Team Cotati

They are a scourge on mankind and an embarrassment to everyone who is involved in the game of geocaching.

Wait... are we talking about nanos or your avatar?

Neither, we are taking about people who are afflicted with a terminal case of 'The Cutness', which at last report, had no known cure.

Wait... are we talking about nanos or your avatar?

Neither, we are taking about people who are afflicted with a terminal case of 'The Cutness', which at last report, had no known cure.

I'm so sorry to hear about your condition.

NANOs have their place.

If it's a worthy location and only a NANO has a chance to survive, then fine! :(

'BACK IN THE DAY...' people were highly bent out of shape over the proliferation of MICROs!

Remember that?

The actual issue (for me at least) is the placement of tiny caches in places where no cache needs to be placed, but where a tiny cache could be VERY difficult to find.

My 'favorites' are those where the owner created his devious camo, and THEN found 'the perfect place' to put it.

Of course (for some) the point of the game is to see who can outwit whom... :(

There was a bunch of us visiting my friend (a fellow geocacher) in a neighbouring town and we started getting all these notifications, so we suited up and went hunting. We ended up getting 6 FTF's that night with 5 of them were nanos. It was still fun, but personally I would hate to be doing all the maintenance that comes with owning 5 nanos. I enjoy the challenge, but I am (as are most) a big fan of variety. :(

1st I did a forum search for nano and nothing came up and did a look through a couple of pages, perhaps I should've gone a little further back.

I didn't say nano's should be banned, I just feel they need their own category so that I have the option of ignoring them if I so choose.

I agree with most things chokecherry posted to this thread, unfortunately there are some bad owners so having the extra category would be helpful.

tozainamboku, you can get vegetable flavored ice cream in the small town of Lares outside of Puerto Rico. They have all kinds of variety of ice cream, including meat and vegetable. I never bought any ice cream without a label, where did you find one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lares_Ice_Cream_Parlor

I'm all for a hard or challenging finds, we recently spent 3 hrs at a State Park searching the lake for an underwater cache without any luck and then spent weeks discussing strategies on how to find it.

The COs in Texas love their camo and they put it to work. They also like to make you hike 30 minutes on uneven terrain only to find a film canister hidden 15ft up in a tree, that you have to climb the tree to get it.

1st I did a forum search for nano and nothing came up and did a look through a couple of pages, perhaps I should've gone a little further back.

I didn't say nano's should be banned, I just feel they need their own category so that I have the option of ignoring them if I so choose.

I agree with most things chokecherry posted to this thread, unfortunately there are some bad owners so having the extra category would be helpful.

tozainamboku, you can get vegetable flavored ice cream in the small town of Lares outside of Puerto Rico. They have all kinds of variety of ice cream, including meat and vegetable. I never bought any ice cream without a label, where did you find one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lares_Ice_Cream_Parlor

I'm all for a hard or challenging finds, we recently spent 3 hrs at a State Park searching the lake for an underwater cache without any luck and then spent weeks discussing strategies on how to find it.

The COs in Texas love their camo and they put it to work. They also like to make you hike 30 minutes on uneven terrain only to find a film canister hidden 15ft up in a tree, that you have to climb the tree to get it.

The reason nothing came up is that the forum search only works for five or more characters.

It must be Tuesday.

Edit- It IS Tuesday.... I meant to use this in terms of Buffy. "Willow's in trouble" "Oh, it must be Tuesday again"

No no no, it's, "Dawn's in trouble, must be Tuesday." Awesome episode of Buffy!!!

**May I suggest the OP look at some of the existing threads on this topic (or the feedback option if you feel strongly about this.

It must be Tuesday.

No no no, it's, "Dawn's in trouble, must be Tuesday." Awesome episode of Buffy!!!

Dang it. I now must rewatch the entire series (except the last one) as penance.

:(

I must admit, I prefer to find larger caches but still choose to go for the odd Nano.

I read somewhere that Geocaching is not just about finding the cache. It's all about the experience, the exercise, the fun & adventure and the journey to get to the cache site.

It's all about choice. Don't like them, don't choose to look for them, but this only works if you know how big the container is. So giving them a seperate size category will keep everyone happy.

I followed your advice and posted my opinion on that thread.

I've only been in this hobby for a few months and I can already tell that it is quickly degrading into Idiocracy.

We either have to over letigate the process of hiding a cache or let the inmates run the asylum.

You can't even post in a forum without creating some flame war over something like an Avatar.

We have people planting cache every 500ft on a deserted road just so others can bolster their imaginary numbers that have no meaning except to the person logging them.

We have a cacher in our area that has a screen name for her dog, and collects FTF for him and counts how many finds he has. I've heard her say on a couple of occasions, "My dog has more FTFs than that!"

I'm not against a well thought out Nano hide, but searching for a NANO is quite a bit different than searching for a micro. I just ask that the CO note somewhere that it is a NANO.

I've only been in this hobby for a few months and I can already tell that it is quickly degrading into Idiocracy.

We either have to over letigate the process of hiding a cache or let the inmates run the asylum.

You can't even post in a forum without creating some flame war over something like an Avatar.

We have people planting cache every 500ft on a deserted road just so others can bolster their imaginary numbers that have no meaning except to the person logging them.

We have a cacher in our area that has a screen name for her dog, and collects FTF for him and counts how many finds he has. I've heard her say on a couple of occasions, "My dog has more FTFs than that!"

I'm not against a well thought out Nano hide, but searching for a NANO is quite a bit different than searching for a micro. I just ask that the CO note somewhere that it is a NANO.

The thread that weaves through your post is that anyone who plays the game differently than you is doing it wrong. Edited by sbell111

Are you missing the point of geocaching? This a fun, light, activity. Some people have fun by finding many caches. I have no idea why you call the numbers of someone who enjoys finding a lot of caches along a power trail with friends imaginary. If you don't enjoy this then don't feel you need to find every cache on the power trail and don't get stressed out because your numbers reflect your style of caching and not the power trail style.

If someone wants to create an account for the their dog, so what. They are having fun. When they "boast" of the number of FTF their dog has I am sure it is all in fun.

Some people enjoy finding caches in urban areas usually close to home. Micros and nanos have allowed caches to be hidden in many locations where larger caches tend to get discovered by muggles and disappear (or if the muggle is the bomb squad they get blown up).

If you were complaining about micros and nanos in the woods, I'd be a bit more sympathetic, but even there, people hide the kinds of cache they enjoy finding. To expect everyone to hide only cache you enjoy is asking too much. I used the ice cream analogy before, the idea is that that there are many flavors of ice cream (apparently in Puero Rico you can get vegetable flavored ice cream and even chicken flavored ice cream). The most popular flavors of ice cream are the most common. But even then there are some people who are allegic to chocolate or who just don't like it. They don't complain though that chocolate is everywhere.

I suppose there is a point in asking for nano caches to be labeled as such so you can ignore them. One difference between geocaches and ice cream, however, is that some of us like a bit of surprise when we search for a geocache. I suspect that some people who hide nanos want tot challenge the cacher by hiding something they wouldn't expect. It can be frustrating to a cacher who wants to know exactly what they are looking for. But others may enjoy having to consider there may be a nano here. In some areas, nanos have become so popular that it is no longer much of challenge to guess that it may be a nano you are looking for right from the start.

Don't expect every cache to be of your liking. If you find a certain hider hides caches you don't like you can start ignoring their hides. If you arrive at cache location and start to suspect that someone hid a nano any you prefer to not spend time looking for it, move on the the next cache. Go out with an attitude that you are going to have fun and when you stop having fun, stop caching for the day. Don't get obessed with numbers unless you enjoy numbers. Don't worry about someone else's dog. Vent on the forums from time to time, but don't expect to get much sympathy when you do.

Who in their right mind considers a bison tube a "container"!!!
I consider them containers. People who keep their heart medication in them consider them containers. The company that makes them considers them containers. Groundspeak considers them containers.

Need I go on?

Edited by niraD
...but searching for a NANO is quite a bit different than searching for a micro...

But a NANO is a micro. Ergo, searching for a NANO is exactly like searching for a micro.

that's only true if the guidelines are everything you know and ignore reality at the same time.

...but searching for a NANO is quite a bit different than searching for a micro...

But a NANO is a micro. Ergo, searching for a NANO is exactly like searching for a micro.

Your statement is like saying searching for a Chevy is quite a bit different than searching for an automobile. :(

Yeah, but... if a 65 Plymouth Sport Fury III is behind a school bus, it's pretty safe to say that you would probably see it before a likewise positioned Smart Car.

Likewise, an object the size of a film can is usually easier to spot than an object the size of a dime. More surface area = more light bouncing off of it = more visible = more easily spotted.*

Regardless of that, I still think they should be classed as "micro" in the cache listing and described as "nano" in the description.

*All other things being equal.

You're right. You should get out early to avoid the rush.

Of course, being in this hobby and forums for only a few months, you missed the needling we regularly exchange with the Shirtless Guy. Flame wars are usually reserved for people who barge into the forums and make statements like "I don't like this so it is stupid, and if you don't agree you're an idiot".

We agree on one thing at least.

Okay, so you like searching for Nanos, that's fine with me. I don't like searching for Nanos and that should be fine with you. I'm not asking you to agree with me and I'm not asking for a ban on Nanos. I would like a notice that the container is a nano so I can avoid them. mainly bc signing the log is a pain in the .....

Here's my experience with Nanos

First one was in a No Parking Sign, proud to have found that one, the husband had given up because he didn't know they were that small.

Two & Three were DNFs that I avenged b/c I now knew that these were what I was looking for.

Fourth, solved a puzzle to find that GZ was a park bench, look for anything magnetic and what do you know, another nano.

Is there a way to use stealth to find a Nano on a park bench? There's all sorts of creepy crawlies out there and I'm not about to be feeling around where I can't see. It's a park bench in a Park, there should be no surprise that the area was full of muggles. So I'm conflicted about how to claim the cache and preserve it with muggles present?

Fifth Nano find, on a road trip a long way frome, complete the puzzle on the fly giving a GZ of downtown square.

Hint was a link to a movie on the imdb site, with gps bouncing it was hard to zero in. When we reset our thought process we eliminated any thing like an altoid tin or bigger, that ledft Nano and we found it right away.

From my experience, knowing that something is a NANO makes it easier to find and really doesn't provide a challenge. Once you know that's what you are looking for...

What are your specific experince with a NANO?

I only have 3 nano experiences here (they're just not that popular here). My first one I found was in a heavily wooded area stuck on a tree branch. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a fun find but it was a find.

2. Nano stuck to a part of a train in a park (train doesn't move just sits there as part of the park).

3. Last one was stuck on a thing outside of a large arena type building. Blended in very well.

Wasn't really aware I was searching for nano but found anyways. I didn't find them anymore difficult than the bison tube we found hanging from fishing line on some bridge thing one day (how that thing survived winter is beyond me). To me they're all just variations of micros and I'm not the biggest fan of the micro in general. I just feel better finding something more substantial.

Okay, so you like searching for Nanos, that's fine with me. I don't like searching for Nanos and that should be fine with you. I'm not asking you to agree with me and I'm not asking for a ban on Nanos. I would like a notice that the container is a nano so I can avoid them. mainly bc signing the log is a pain in the .....

If you have started out with that statement, there would have hardly been anyone who will disagree with you.

Embarrassingly, I've missed a larger container because I incorrectly assumed I was hunting for a nano before.

Most of the time, those little blinkers are actually not to difficult to find, unless you have tons of locations to search for them. There was one, rated 5 star evil, where the CO attached it to a bottle cap and tossed it among ground cover bark. Not surprisingly, it was archived after the CO couldn't find it himself. I found that one using a metal detector.