Im sick of micros....

they are such a cop out,

i mean ok, i understand you want people to go to your favorite spot, or you are worried about muggles, and stealth, but seriously there are like 50 caches near me and maybe out of those 50 2 are not micros.

micros should not count as far as proximity goes.

they are such a cop out,

i mean ok, i understand you want people to go to your favorite spot, or you are worried about muggles, and stealth, but seriously there are like 50 caches near me and maybe out of those 50 2 are not micros.

You might want to give serious thought to finding a different game to become involved in.

they are such a cop out,

Let's see. You have found a total of 3 caches and you're already complaining about there being too many micros? Sounds like this sport/hobby might be a little too stressful for you and you might want to consider something a little milder. Of course, if you are a premium member then you can just select to ignore all micro caches when you do a search; that would, I'm sure, eliminate some of your stress level about micros. Just remember, if you stay with the game long enough to start hiding your own, people will be keeping an eye on the type of hides you decide to make to see if the same feelings apply when it comes to hiding caches.

The ability to hide micros and nanos in places you otherwise could not hide another size makes them more of a challenge to find. This adds to the difficult of the find. I thought that is what made the game fun, trying to find something that others wouldnt normally be able to find.

The ability to hide micros and nanos in places you otherwise could not hide another size makes them more of a challenge to find. This adds to the difficult of the find. I thought that is what made the game fun, trying to find something that others wouldnt normally be able to find.

While I agree with this in theory, I take it to task as many decent locations for larger caches are taken up by nanos and micros.

While I agree with this in theory, I take it to task as many decent locations for larger caches are taken up by nanos and micros.

Forum topic scheduled for next week : "Someone stole my film canister and left an ammo box behind, who can I report this to?"

somehow, this picture comes to mind, for yet another time...

I don't know...sometimes those places that can hold a larger cache make for a devilish micro hide. Besides, they way people trade these days, one could hide a full ammo can and within a month all that will remain will be a couple broken McToys and a log book.

What's the thrill of big caches again? :laughing:

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

Size does not matter to me. As long as I have fun I go for them all! Some days I feel like finding big ones, other days I feel like searching for the tiny rascals. It all depends on your own preference I say. If you don't like all the micros, make your own large ones.

they are such a cop out,

Yea, that would work. Without a proximity guideline you'd have more micros, not fewer.

Forum topic scheduled for next week : "Someone stole my film canister and left an ammo box behind, who can I report this to?"

You know what? I might just try that sometime!! Only on someone I know well though. :laughing:

I'd suggest the OP get out of the City, if he would like to find larger caches. I know Florida is absolutely loaded with micros from tip to toe, but there are plenty of Nature Preserves.

If you don't like them ... Don't go out and find them....... pretty simple to me

If you read his post he said 2 of the nearest 50 were not micros. If that is the general ratio in his area it doesn't leave much geocaching for him to do.

I guess, but from my house, my nearest 50 only takes me a mile and a half from home. Could be less dense there, but I bet Orlando is pretty full of caches, too. Also, getting out of town is a a big help - a large percentage of in-town caches are micros here, too.

they are such a cop out,

Let's see. You have found a total of 3 caches and you're already complaining about there being too many micros?

One of which was a regular. I dunno... maybe he found a bunch caching with somebody else before he started this account. In any case... it isn't about the size, it's about the quality. Sure, a film can under a lamp skirt or tossed in a hedge is lame, but there are better micros than that, some much better.

wow, that got a lot of responses...

yes i have been caching for some time, but always with a friend of mine, who logged the finds under her name,

yes i plan on hiding a bunch of regular, and large sized caches with tons of random stuff to trade in them, if people dont have anything to trade, so be it, take what you want, i think of geocaching as treasure hunting, and if there is no treasure only a log book, what fun is that for me? oh i completely understand the treasure is finding someones secret spot, some breathtaking nature spot, or a dumpster behind a retail store, but from what i gather people geocache to find the log, how often do you cache to find some place beautiful? how often do you cache to find the cache? we should start a poll..... how often are you in a hurry and really only just want to add to your cache finds count?

i cache because i also dumpster dive, and i love finding things people hide. man made things, and if they are hidden in some place beautiful so be it, if they are hidden in some place disgusting so be it, i just want to see what little nick nacks people decided wernt worth keeping, but were worth tossing in an ammo can thinking someone else might want them.

micros wouldnt bother me so much if like some of you said, they were only placed in places where traffic is high, and the likelihood of someone finding your cache who is not supposed to finds it. but isnt that ultimately how a lot of us began this bad habit in the first place? jesus. dont be so uptight if someone outside the club without a gps finds your logbook. its all backed up online anyway.

but people place micros in places regular sized caches could easily be hidden, and that takes up those places i could have hidden a regular cache, you cant hide travel bugs in micros, you cant hide geocoins, you cant hide squat, you cant even hide most pens, its just a slip of paper that says.... he buddy, you know what? your gps found the same slip of paper half a dozen other people found who didnt bother to throw it away. way to go!

the slips of paper arnt even big enough to draw something a doodle, would be fine,

so again i say...

i am not a fan of micros,

for those of you who are, so be it, just if you are planning to hide a cache, and you want to make it a micro, do some of us a favor and ask yourself if you could hide something bigger in the same spot.

cue hateful mockery responses now.

really?...and that is because? :(

He wants more of 'em, I guess. :(

:laughing:

i like micros, can't say i like them better than the bigger containers, but most tend to be a more challenging find and besides there is no swag that is of any interest in the bigger containers anyway so why waste the space? all i care for is the logbook...the only draw back is that you can't have regular trackables in micro caches except for micro coins...but i am willing to forgo the pleasure of finding a trackable for a container that has lesser chance of being muggled

If someone wants to hide a cache that's larger then a micro, where a micro currently resides, the rule could be that the micro gets archived in favor of the larger cache.

well i asked the owner of the micro that was established before my cahce, if we could combine forces, and make it a two part thing, but she wasnt interested. fair enough, at least i asked her.

and as for archiving micros for larger ones....

is that a rule? although i dont like micros, i think thats not fair to the op.

although it would be funny to hide their micro in a larger container,

i wouldnt do that unless i asked the op if it was alright,

honestly there are just so many freggin places to hide caches, its really not an issue, i just dont like the proximity rule, because both the op of the micro which was within 60 ft of mine was placed in a interesting location, mine was too, mine was underwater at the end of the dock, hers was hidden under a bench closer to shore on the dock. both would have made excellent finds for cachers, unfortunately mine got stolen, before it was even published which it wouldnt have been able to get published even so, because of the proximity rule.

and yes my screen name is related exactly to his holy shnikes, how did you figure that one out?

the a at the beginning is the initial of my first name. andy.

Edited by ashnikes

and yes my screen name is related exactly to his holy shnikes, how did you figure that one out?

the a at the beginning is the initial of my first name. andy.

just a guess... we are a twisted lot... We few, we happy few, we band of brothers

You can't change the behaviour of others, but you can change your own behaviour, and you can change how you react to others' behaviour. Stomping around the forums telling everyone how lame the guidelines are and how lame geocaches are might not be the best way to accomplish your goals.

honestly there are just so many freggin places to hide caches, its really not an issue, i just dont like the proximity rule,

if there's so many places to hide caches than use them rather than clogging up a small area with two

if they were within 60ft in an interesting place one find is enough for people to see and enjoy that place

what's the point of a second one so close?

the proximity rule is there for a reason and there's nothing you can do to change it

Edited by t4e

mosaic...

yes it COULD mean a micro is a much better choice here, but i think i just didnt hide my larger cache well enough.

why should I plant a second cache here?

well for a few reasons...

mine was underwater, insisting that the cacher get in the water, and look for something of value buried in the lake.

the micro was velcroed under a bench, for those people who like to park log and go, or for those people who can cache this location when there are too many muggles around.

I planted mine here, because I come to this spot often, and could replinish the box with new stuff frequently, as well as check up on it, also i had no idea there was already another cache here when i decided to plant one, i found out through the process of registering mine.

they were two different goals.

they were two different caches, yes they were both in the same location, on the same dock rather, so what? the whole dock was made of plastic, and pressure treated wood, and there was no way our fellow cachers could possibly destroy this spot while searching. (course there are the select few that never cease to amaze me)

at any rate...

i thought it would be fun to have a burried treasure chest here, besides just a lame old micro, which upon asking the cacher who reposted this cache what the deal was she said it was in memory of a now deceased member, she didnt elaborate, but you know, if someone were leaving something behind to remember me, ide want it to be large, and full of prizes.

all in all, its gone now, and i am not going to try to replace it, im just gonna have to leave it at that, and plant new ones near by.

If you don't like them ... Don't go out and find them....... pretty simple to me

If you read his post he said 2 of the nearest 50 were not micros. If that is the general ratio in his area it doesn't leave much geocaching for him to do.

Yeah, I just wanted to say that I thought it was pretty funny that some people were bagging on him saying he should only look for the caches he likes, while other people were bagging on him for only having three finds :laughing: I love you guys :(

Yeah, I just wanted to say that I thought it was pretty funny that some people were bagging on him saying he should only look for the caches he likes, while other people were bagging on him for only having three finds :laughing: I love you guys :(

I recall bittsen having a similar warm welcome when he started in the forums. People with strong opinions and who are not afraid to express them generally attract attention.

I'm getting tired of good spots for micros getting taken up by those giant trash collectors known as ammo cans.

I'm getting tired of good spots for micros getting taken up by those giant trash collectors known as ammo cans.

hahahaha ...

on a side note i found a micro tonight that may just put them back on my list....

i should of taken a picture of this one, but it was pitch black, ill take one during the day but its no where near as scary when you can see what it is....

Well said.......I actually have no size preference but if you can conceal an ammo can its obviously a great spot to hide a challanging micro.

As has been said, due to downtrading an ammo can has become an easier to find, harder to hide, container full of trash...ther're still fun though and can move TB's.

Perhaps it is time for GS to spin off another new website and game. Micro-caching. Then we can have endless threads dedicated to " :laughing: BRING BACK THE MICROS!". Wouldn't that be a hoot?

Let's test your theory. I hope Groundspeak is listening. :(

Well said.......I actually have no size preference but if you can conceal an ammo can its obviously a great spot to hide a challanging micro.

As has been said, due to downtrading an ammo can has become an easier to find, harder to hide, container full of trash...ther're still fun though and can move TB's.

Yup, agree and pretty much what I'd said in the other/most recent/latest anti-micro thread.

I still think that few people hate micros. What they don't like are the skirt lifters, scenic dumpster vistas and the like.Give me a cache in an interesting location and appropriately hidden and I am happy.

Edit because I can't tupe tyoe type for nuthin'.

Edited by GOF & Bacall

at any rate...

i thought it would be fun to have a burried treasure chest here, besides just a lame old micro, which upon asking the cacher who reposted this cache what the deal was she said it was in memory of a now deceased member, she didnt elaborate, but you know, if someone were leaving something behind to remember me, ide want it to be large, and full of prizes.

unless that person was a micro fan :P

they are such a cop out,

I do realize that statistics on the internet aren't always accurate. (Note the sig line.) :P

But based on the assumption (a dangerous thing at times) that your first logged find is pretty near to where you are, I will toss the red flag of bull at your statement.

toro-osborne-f.JPG

On page one of the 20 nearest active caches I see:

6 micros

6 smalls-one is even a multi stage adventure

6 regular-one is a mystery/puzzle

1 Virtual

1 webcam

So do you have 96% micros nearby or only 30%?

I'm brand new to this and recently have has better luck finding Micros than regular sized Caches. Still doesn't mean I'm fond of them though, I want swag!

I don't mind the occasional well-placed, well thought out micro. But my heart lies with larger containers that can hold even little swag. I collect a couple things out of the containers and like to leave my stuff behind too.

I'm brand new to this and recently have has better luck finding Micros than regular sized Caches. Still doesn't mean I'm fond of them though, I want swag!

I don't mind the occasional well-placed, well thought out micro. But my heart lies with larger containers that can hold even little swag. I collect a couple things out of the containers and like to leave my stuff behind too.

Exactly how I feel and play the game too. I like handmade things and currently, those little realistic plastic animals (got a collection of those at work in my cubicle so people can point and laugh :P). I leave custom geocaching pinback buttons, custom geocaching bookmarks or occassionally something that I've handcrafted. It's all part of the fun for me.

I am not a fan of the boring micro, like a lamp post hide, but they are great for quick grabs.

I tend to like medium to large caches better, but I have seen some really cool micro's. Today I found one in a chainlink fence post cap, but it wasn't the usual. The poster had made an assembly that was fastened into the top, and had the container inside. An orange matchstick holder. It unscrewed. When you pulled the container out, it played a scary sound.

That was really clever.

Most of the time micro's are in build up area's, and bigger caches are in wooded area's etc.

You can always choose what you look for. You can filter them on the site.