Disrespect

Infern01

We have local cacher who is finding our caches then complaining about how they bad they suck or saying that there could have been a better spot to hide them. When not even saying "thanks for the cache" or "good hide." But just complaining. And this paticular cacher has been a cacher for almost 1 year, has only 100 finds and 0 HIDES. Wanting to know how other cachers deal with simaler problems. Looking for any input, simaler logs, and storys. See examples below.

Any input would be appreciated.

RookieCrew

What a bad cache. there are so many nice places you could have put this cache here, but that place sucked

This Cach really sucked I don't know what would make someone think this was a good place to put on. After I was done finding this cach I had to go home and change because of all the thorns I had in my pants.

Looks like he's being honest in his logs. While perusing a selection of other caches he's found, he seems like he is free to offer praise where he believes it's due, so I wouldn't assume he just has a grumpy nature. While I'm not that honest, (if I thought a cache really sucked, I wouldn't say so in my log), other people are. No matter what type of cache you hide, from a Wally World LPC to an ammo can at the base of a waterfall, someone's gonna dislike some aspect of it. Since you can't please 'em all, hide the kind of caches you like to find and ignore the detractors. :smile:

Looks like he's being honest in his logs. While perusing a selection of other caches he's found, he seems like he is free to offer praise where he believes it's due, so I wouldn't assume he just has a grumpy nature. While I'm not that honest, (if I thought a cache really sucked, I wouldn't say so in my log), other people are. No matter what type of cache you hide, from a Wally World LPC to an ammo can at the base of a waterfall, someone's gonna dislike some aspect of it. Since you can't please 'em all, hide the kind of caches you like to find and ignore the detractors. :smile:

Everyone wants to hear "great hide, thanks for the cache" but the reality is that some caches DO suck. Why shouldn't people let you know?

I try to be nice in each log I post but sometimes its pretty tough. I don't know if anyone has ever noticed but I tend to like to say what I am thinking.

Rise above those comments...although it's difficult to do. I don't mind constructive criticism, but I would be wondering what was so bad about the placement to consider it "sucky." You could always make a gift of some straws to this cacher..........help them to "suck it up!" There are worse things in life than lousy logs - maybe this cacher was having a tough time in life and you got the rough end of the stick.

I'm not sure you're really being quite fair. Their other two logs on your caches today were quite favorable.

This was a nice cache. We had looked for this one once before but had no luck, but we got it this time.

This was a neat cache I have leaved in this town for over 15 years and drove past that place many time but didn't know what it was.

I poked around randomly at a few of his other logs including a couple micros that seemed to be on J. Random Streetcorner, and I didn't see any ugliness.

We found this cache when we were going out to find a few other caches. This one was really really easy, but fun and enjoyable.

He's not particularly effusive, but I think you're just getting his honest reactions.

As far as hiding goes, I wouldn't put too much pressure on newbies to place caches before they've seen a few and know the rules of the game and how to operate the website. This summer I've seen:

• A cache with coordinates that placed it in the middle of a tidal marsh in a wildlife refuge. The CO with no finds got huffy when people pointed this out and hasn't bothered to fix it.
  • A cache with coords one whole degree of longitude off, placing it in the middle of a farm road in BFE in another county, 55 miles away.
  • Another with both lat and long wrong, placing it on private land 32mi to the NE, albeit in the same county.
  • At least one in the bay.
  • A couple that had been placed on private property in suburban housing. No permission, of course.

And so on. With 100 caches, I wouldn't put him in with this group, though. You or your local caching group could sponsor a local event at a pizza parlor or burger joint and give away ready made micros for the newbies to place, perhaps with the assistance of the more experienced cachers as mentors. When they start receiving logs that contain proper etiquette, it's likely to rub off on them. :smile:

I would never say a cache sucked. I might say "A very easy hide. Good drive-by for getting the numbers up." Cachers who read logs before going out, might like to know this is a dead easy cache where you might as well leave the wife, kids, dog and GPS in the car, nab the thing, sign the log, then get on with another find.

And who's to say one hiding spot is "better" than the next? I mean, if every cache was hidden in the most obvious spot, it would be boring. If there was no challenge, I'd have given up caching 2 weeks after I started. By the same token, if they were all too difficult, I'd have given up too.

Maybe their preferred type of cache is different to yours, but saying it "sucked" is just rude.

If they have no hides, maybe a politely phrased note to "put your money where your mouth is" could do the trick.

Everyone wants to hear "great hide, thanks for the cache" but the reality is that some caches DO suck. Why shouldn't people let you know?

I try to be nice in each log I post but sometimes its pretty tough. I don't know if anyone has ever noticed but I tend to like to say what I am thinking.

I've noticed and I don't consider it a fault. I don't always agree with your thinking and will say so when I feel like it.

In any case, I know what you mean. I've seen caches hidden hidden as a LPC in the middle of a parking lot of a strip mall with logs such as "Great Hide! TFTC" from someone that has over 1000 finds. All I could do is shake my head and wonder what they're thinking.

We must be the lucky ones here............. we don't got no LPCs around here. :smile::lol::tired::):):lol:

We agree with the honest posts. Some of the wording may not seem right to some folks, but not all of us are gifted in the art of communication.

That's our story, and we are stickin' wit it!

Oh you will, believe me. And it won't be someone who joined in 2002 placing them either. :lol:

I've seen tons of "honest logs" on "crappy caches". It never turns out good. Ultimately honest log writers need to figure out where the ignore button is, and stop running around finding every cache listed on the website in their respective areas.

Ooops, and I'm not implying the OP necessarily has a bunch of "crappy caches". You could just have one real grumpy Geocacher on your hands. Just ignore him.

My younger Sister & Brother in law had just recently dealt with a cacher of the same "caliber" as you are. If memory serves me correctly, this cacher had only 20-30 finds 0 hides and complainted in almost the same fashion.

IMHO everyone is entitled to their own opinion (We all know this & use it too.) However the cacher could have been slightly more constructive in his/her wording pertaining to your cache(s) &/or any other caches that he/she may have already found. I am not going to venture in guessing this person's age by their wording though.

I am sure everyone has their own opinion of the optinimal (sp?) cache hide that they would like to find, whether it be a lamp skirt or smack out in the middle of the woods & marsh in chest high deep leech & snake infested waters. But it is up to the cache owner to provide a decent hide in their own eyes or a lousy hide for others to find.

You can be either constructive in a sense by contacting the cacher & ask what he/she may think would be better in helping you provide a decent hide in their eyes, or brush it off and move on. By the sounds of his/her post within your cache page "This Cach really sucked I don't know what would make someone think this was a good place to put on. After I was done finding this cach I had to go home and change because of all the thorns I had in my pants." should have either read the attributes better and other logs to get a little better sense of approach, or just simply went in the wrong way period.

Either that is on him/her and not you as the cache owner (provided you have some attributes within your page reflecting any potential problems that can arise.)

Dont sweat it though. Recently a few cachers have just did own of my multi hides. 2 of them were not happy simply of the placement for the 1st stage & they clearly stated this in their respective logs. Does this mean I am going to run out & change the first stage or even the final stage to please them? Nope, nien, Nyet, Nadda & No. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, they simply stated it within their logs & it is fine with me. If they feel that way that is their own, but I see it this way though. There are plenty more caches in the area that I live in, that are far more off the wall or placed completely different or close to the same manner as I have placed my first stage & sometime they will run into these caches. I just simply say Have fun & keep whining, or simply read previous logs & choose then whether or not to do the cache.

We have local cacher who is finding our caches then complaining about how they bad they suck or saying that there could have been a better spot to hide them. When not even saying "thanks for the cache" or "good hide." But just complaining. And this paticular cacher has been a cacher for almost 1 year, has only 100 finds and 0 HIDES. Wanting to know how other cachers deal with simaler problems. Looking for any input, simaler logs, and storys. See examples below.

RookieCrew

What a bad cache. there are so many nice places you could have put this cache here, but that place sucked

This Cach really sucked I don't know what would make someone think this was a good place to put on. After I was done finding this cach I had to go home and change because of all the thorns I had in my pants.

It may be that he has 0 hides because someone already took offence and his caches went swimming......

Or he could just be brutally honest. I know there have been a few caches I've bitten my tongue on (Really? The best place in this whole beautiful area you could think of is in a bush behind a dumpster? REALLY? )

Hahahaha We ain't got no lampposts!!!!

Truly, if there's a singular bad post........ don't worry about it. If that singular bad "poster" continually gives negative posts (kinda redundant, eh?), don't worry about it. He'll probably not be geocaching's "poster" child (the devil made me say that).

Now, all together.......................... Go out and have fun! :smile:

It doesn't pay to be honest. It irritates cache owners. :smile: And they don't care anyway.

Yep, and this is perpetuated by comments like others here have made.

Any time I get the slightest negative comment I evaluate the comment and try to determine whether it is valid. If it is, I try to determine whether I can do something about it. If so, then I make a decision whether I want to do something about it.

It's all about the experience I'm trying to provide for the seeker. If I can do better I want to do better. I also recognize not everyone is going to enjoy my brand of entertainment either. Not everyone is going to want to climb a tree, slog through a swamp, solve a riddle, or even walk a few feet from their car. That's fine as my brand of geocaching entertainment is not for everyone. However, I won't simply toss a criticism out the window before I evaluate its worth.

Could that one cache haven been better a few feet away? Could it have been in a larger/better/waterproof/sturdier container? Consider the purpose of the hide and see if it would serve a broader range of folks while keeping the purpose you intended.

Take the criticism and evaluate. You might turn into a better hider.

Edited by CoyoteRed
It doesn't pay to be honest. It irritates cache owners. :smile: And they don't care anyway.

Any time I get the slightest negative comment I evaluate the comment and try to determine whether it is valid. If it is, I try to determine whether I can do something about it. If so, then I make a decision whether I want to do something about it.

It's all about the experience I'm trying to provide for the seeker. If I can do better I want to do better. I also recognize not everyone is going to enjoy my brand of entertainment either. Not everyone is going to want to climb a tree, slog through a swamp, solve a riddle, or even walk a few feet from their car. That's fine as my brand of geocaching entertainment is not for everyone. However, I won't simply toss a criticism out the window before I evaluate its worth.

Could[/i[ that one cache haven been better a few feet away? Could it have been in a larger/better/waterproof/sturdier container? Consider the purpose of the hide and see if it would serve a broader range of folks while keeping the purpose you intended.

Oh-oh, was I a comment perpetuator? :lol: Believe me, very recently, just outside my immediate area, I've seen about 2 dozen "in your face" quick grab micros that were a direct response to negative logs (more than 1 honest logger, more than 1 cache placer). But CR brings up a good point, so I suppose I shouldn't have made such a blanket statement. If you have a thick skin, by all means take the criticism and evaluate.

I haven't looked for the cacher in question's logs so I don't know how they are worded. I think a couple of good points have been made in this thread though.

Criticism is not necessarily a bad thing. We can learn how to improve our hides if it is, in fact, constructive. Thing is we need to be willing to take that criticism and ponder its relevance and value.

On the other side is criticism that is just nasty with no helpful content. Seems that in most cases it would be best to just leave it as others will see it for what it is. The person making such statements is only showing their own true self to the world.

The third option is the cruel, hurtful, personal attack. These are not in any way helpful. I'd say delete them. If they continue report the situation to Groundspeak.

It doesn't pay to be honest. It irritates cache owners. :lol: And they don't care anyway.

Could that one cache haven been better a few feet away? Could it have been in a larger/better/waterproof/sturdier container? Consider the purpose of the hide and see if it would serve a broader range of folks while keeping the purpose you intended.

There is a difference between constructive criticism and a disrespectful log.

A comment that says "This cache sucked, I don't know what would make someone think this was a good place to put one" is different from one that simple relates what is wrong with the place: "There were a lot of thorns, so I had to go home and change my pants afterward". There are too many logs when someone is disappointed that a cache didn't meet their expectations and blame it on a careless or lazy cache owner. The real problem in these cases is the careless or lazy cache finder. Either do some homework before heading out to avoid the caches you don't like or if you find yourself not having fun searching for a cache, stop. Go look for another cache. Certainly feel free to describe your experiences (short of giving out spoilers) but there is no need to attack the cache owner if you had a bad experience. If you find the cache is near a homeless encampment or in an area that sorely needs CITO, mention it. But don't blame the cache owner for that. Either the cache owner didn't notice the problems when he/she hid the cache and will be happy that you brought them to his/her attention, or the cache owner placed the cache there for a reason despite the problems. In latter case the most you can complain about is if the writeup tries to hide these facts. If I don't think a cache deserves a thank you, I don't say thank you. But I don't (anymore) go attacking a cache owner because they like coconut ice cream and I like pistachio :smile:

Edited by tozainamboku

Hahahaha We ain't got no lampposts!!!!

Truly, if there's a singular bad post........ don't worry about it. If that singular bad "poster" continually gives negative posts (kinda redundant, eh?), don't worry about it. He'll probably not be geocaching's "poster" child (the devil made me say that).

Now, all together.......................... Go out and have fun! :lol:

Stop rubbing it in already! :smile::lol::lol:

I've noticed and I don't consider it a fault. I don't always agree with your thinking and will say so when I feel like it.

In any case, I know what you mean. I've seen caches hidden hidden as a LPC in the middle of a parking lot of a strip mall with logs such as "Great Hide! TFTC" from someone that has over 1000 finds. All I could do is shake my head and wonder what they're thinking.

Because the numbers don't mean a thing. 1000 finds could all be LPCs, so concerning the larger variety of hide styles they wouldn't know their cache from a hole in the ground.

Reiteration.

Volume does not equal experience if you aren't learning.

As with any cache we place, the container costs some money and the placement takes some time, and while in each case, the time and money may be minor, it doesn't dismiss such. I think most people would prefer constructive criticism rather than just plain rudeness. Recently, I've had fellow caches make suggestions on improving a retrieval mechanism, which made the cache more enjoyable. I've had others actually fix the cache when damaged. That's appreciated. Saying the cache sucks or that the area is ugly is counter-productive to the whole spirit of geocaching. Perhaps the best way to think aobut it is that most roadside, guardrail caches are pretty lame but when you're driving for several hours, the ability to pull over, stretch your legs and grab a cache is appreciated, alme or not. Each cache is appreciated in a different way by each geocacher, but all took some time and effort from the individual that hid it, and that sohuld be respected.

Yes and it generally has something to do with tact and not the validity of the criticism. If a person didn't like the hunt, regardless of how he worded it, he still didn't like it. Like I said, evaluate the feedback and go from there. Don't just toss it out the window because you didn't like the way it was said.

It doesn't pay to be honest. It irritates cache owners. :lol: And they don't care anyway.

With 42 hides, are you being honest about yourself by giving generalities to all others? :smile:

Not sure what the number of my hides has to do with it. Yes. I was generalizing. The ones who need it the most are the ones who become irritated the most easily.

"The deli soup container is full of water. You might consider a Lock and Lock." "But it says that tupperware is acceptable." Okay. It's not Tupperware, and it's not water tight. Might last a few months...

"Coords for the final are off about 180 feet." That one got deleted.

"Not wise to hide a take-out food container under a thirty pound rock." That was by a three-day wonder, and was archived very quickly.

Do I care? Actually, if the complaint is valid, I do. Sometimes I do make mistakes. So ammend my geeralization to "It irritates many cache owners."

With 42 hides, are you being honest about yourself by giving generalities to all others? :smile:

Not sure what the number of my hides has to do with it. Yes. I was generalizing. The ones who need it the most are the ones who become irritated the most easily.

"The deli soup container is full of water. You might consider a Lock and Lock." "But it says that tupperware is acceptable." Okay. It's not Tupperware, and it's not water tight. Might last a few months...

"Coords for the final are off about 180 feet." That one got deleted.

"Not wise to hide a take-out food container under a thirty pound rock." That was by a three-day wonder, and was archived very quickly.

Do I care? Actually, if the complaint is valid, I do. Sometimes I do make mistakes. So ammend my geeralization to "It irritates many cache owners."

Me stating your number was only to show that you are CO 42 times over and the smiley was intended to indicate that I doubted that you didn't care.

Personally I love any bad comment I get. When I get offended is when they get deleted to keep them private.

I got this found it.

whoa...found it! yikes...about killed myself, and dropped my husbands cellphone in the river (quickly dried it out and it's sitting on the windowsill in the sun and turned on, but took out the battery just for good measure). Anyway, i have a giant goose egg on my shin from slipping crawling out and whacking on a piece of iron, and at the same time slammed my boob into the same piece of iron (good thing i don't have implants!), but we found it! yes!

Then I got a Note that was promptly deleted. It wasn't snotty in and of itself, it referred to the previous log and combined with the deletion gave it a nasty tone. If it had been left on the cache page it would have been a simple "that's why I wont find it."

5 days later I got

Finally, a cache with a little adventure to retrieve. TFTC

Cant make everyone smile but this cache isn't for those that don't want some physical challenge. I had to thunk outta my box for it and gave it a 3 terrain instead of the 1.5 it would be for me, guess I can be considerate once and a wile. :lol: :lol: :)

Have you ever considered pie instead of ice cream? You might discover that there are more dessert choices than you ever dreamed of. Perhaps cake would interest you. Or cookies.

There's no icon of Signal eating pie. I suppose I could use the analogy of what musical instrument you like to play :smile:

Ah, see now there is a problem for me. As many times and as many instruments as I have tried it always boils down to the fact that I just don't have any musical talent. Thanks so much for reminding me of my shortcomings. :lol:

:lol:

If I get 50 logs saying "quick find", "easy find", "fun cache", ... and one log saying "lame crappy cache", I wright it off a one cacher who has standards higher than the average cacher. I would not necessarily think of that as disrespectful.

What I would consider disrespectful is placing +1 and nothing else in a log. I actually had a finder delete their original logs months later and add a new one with +1.

For those who don not know what that means, it is something along the line of "the only thing this cache provided me with is more more to my cache count" and is also considered nothing more than an insult. I don't care how much I dislike a hide or another cacher, IMHO that is sinking to a level I will never go to.

Yes and it generally has something to do with tact and not the validity of the criticism. If a person didn't like the hunt, regardless of how he worded it, he still didn't like it. Like I said, evaluate the feedback and go from there. Don't just toss it out the window because you didn't like the way it was said.

I agree.

While it IS possible to tell someone to go to HE**, and they will look forward to the trip...

It is a finely honed skill that most of us don't have the time to develop properly.

If one cacher seems not to have enjoyed my cache quite so much, I feel sorry and move on.

If team after team seem not to have enjoyed my cache, then perhaps my cache needs some adjustment.

Lack of tact is not the same as disrespect.

If I get 50 logs saying "quick find", "easy find", "fun cache", ... and one log saying "lame crappy cache", I wright it off a one cacher who has standards higher than the average cacher. I would not necessarily think of that as disrespectful.

What I would consider disrespectful is placing +1 and nothing else in a log. I actually had a finder delete their original logs months later and add a new one with +1.

For those who don not know what that means, it is something along the line of "the only thing this cache provided me with is more more to my cache count" and is also considered nothing more than an insult. I don't care how much I dislike a hide or another cacher, IMHO that is sinking to a level I will never go to.

Ever heard of the saying, "If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all." In the past, I've found a few cache where the only thing I wrote was the find number. Stooping so low as to type "TFTC" in my log would have been a lie on my part, and done nothing but encourage the hider. I've solved this problem by not looking for caches I dislike or wouldn't have fun finding. I know of one cacher who loathes park & grabs to the point of disgust. He has been known to visit crappy caches that he dislikes, for the purpose of moving geocoins and Jeep TBs. The cache owner gets a simple courtesy note that he took the trackable.

... Wanting to know how other cachers deal with simaler problems....

One local and freshly prolific cachers posted a lot on one of my better caches "I must say this is one of the worst caches I've ever done". I emailed them and told them they need to explain what about it was so horrible. Stinging nettle. Now everone else knows. Go at the wrong time, wade through nettle.

Another folks don't like that I don't have posted hours. Neither do most caches in parks. That's one of the challenges of the cache and I'm not changing it. But I get the emails and the logs just the same.

RookieCrew

Some times ya gots just sit back and grin. This one of those times. Just picture the poor poor bas.... as he has his mommy pull those thorns out of his buttocks.

Too funny. :(:D:D

Looks like he's being honest in his logs. While perusing a selection of other caches he's found, he seems like he is free to offer praise where he believes it's due, so I wouldn't assume he just has a grumpy nature. While I'm not that honest, (if I thought a cache really sucked, I wouldn't say so in my log), other people are. No matter what type of cache you hide, from a Wally World LPC to an ammo can at the base of a waterfall, someone's gonna dislike some aspect of it. Since you can't please 'em all, hide the kind of caches you like to find and ignore the detractors. :D

Because the numbers don't mean a thing. 1000 finds could all be LPCs, so concerning the larger variety of hide styles they wouldn't know their cache from a hole in the ground.

Reiteration.

Volume does not equal experience if you aren't learning.

I generally agree with you but in this case, that isn't the case. I know that this person has found (and hidden) a lot of caches out in the woods.

It's also worth mentioning that LPCs are not as common in my area as they seem to be in others. Last I counted we only had 4 within 10 miles of where I live.

If I get 50 logs saying "quick find", "easy find", "fun cache",

If I got 50 logs like that I'd consider the cache a dismal failure. :D:D

A highly biased and occasionally inaccurate measure of whether a cache is going to fit my peculiar aesthetics is the average length of the logs. Often, folks who find the types of caches I enjoy the most are more verbose than usual, and this is reflected in their logs. On the hiding side of this coin, I like to create the types of caches that typically generate longer than average logs. I do this by building adventures, taking people outside their normal comfort zones either physically, mentally or spiritually.

I've solved this problem by not looking for caches I dislike or wouldn't have fun finding.

Can I get an "AMEN!", Brother! :D

Edited by Clan Riffster