prove your a geocacher

If you had to prove to someone your a geocacher what five things would you show them

I'll start it off

1 GPS(obvious)

2 a premaid geocache(I always carry one in my backpack)

3 Mosiqito bites

4 a geocoin

5 my posion Ivey rash(if it was still ther)

lets see what you guys have to say wethier its funny of serious answers there all welcom here

If you had to prove to someone your a geocacher what five things would you show them

I'll start it off

1 GPS(obvious)

3 Mosiqito bites

4 a geocoin

lets see what you guys have to say wethier its funny of serious answers there all welcom here

Here's what's in my "go bag", a thing in itself:

- GPS

- Power ineverter w/cord for said GPS

- Pocket knife

- Tweezers

- DeLorme Indiana Atlas

- Mini MagLite

Other things:

- Mosquito bites

- Various cuts, scrapes and bruises

- Geocoins

- Travel bugs (including my car stickers)

- Pathtags

- Muddy shoes

I'll start it off

1 GPS(obvious)

3 Mosiqito bites

4 a geocoin

In my geo back pack I have a list of coords,tweezers, travels bugs and geocoins. I will have a gps in hand, and when out in the middle of nowhere via motorcycles we bring a compass, and something to drink/eat. :D

Back when I was a paintball enthusiast there was a chart on the progression of a paintballer. It showed an amateur with nothing more than a paintball gun and goggles wearing basic street clothes and cross training shoes.

A novice with a paintball gun, full mask goggles, camo, extra ammo, boots, extra CO2 bottle.

A pro with hi tech paintball gun complete with laser sighting and dual CO2 pack, full mask goggles with additional breather and anti-fog apparatus, camo with full body camo netting and pads, extra ammo and vest for even more extra ammo and speed loaders, full height boots, etc.

And an EXPERT who was wearing nothing more than a paintball gun and goggles wearing basic street clothes and cross training shoes.

I suspect the same is with geocaching.

So I am either an amateur or an expert. I carry a GPSr, pen and flashlight (if I am caching at night). Sometimes I even carry some swag to drop.

I can prove I'm a geocacher because my trunk is full of supplies such as a step ladder to retrive 6 to 9 foot high caches.

Geocaching supplies to create an instant cache when we see an opportunity to place a great cache.

Also 72 chicker bites on my legs after walking in the woods and weeds.

5 ticks on my body and 3 in the car.

2 falls while walking through the thick weeds.

A tear in my jeans while scooting down the rocks. A level 2 terrain that should have been rated 4

Oh, I almost forgot A Blackberry Phone for instant caches along with 2 other GPs's in the geomobile.

The amazing thing about it that I have not learned my lesson yet. I suspect I'm addicted.

Back when I was a paintball enthusiast there was a chart on the progression of a paintballer. It showed an amateur with nothing more than a paintball gun and goggles wearing basic street clothes and cross training shoes.

A novice with a paintball gun, full mask goggles, camo, extra ammo, boots, extra CO2 bottle.

A pro with hi tech paintball gun complete with laser sighting and dual CO2 pack, full mask goggles with additional breather and anti-fog apparatus, camo with full body camo netting and pads, extra ammo and vest for even more extra ammo and speed loaders, full height boots, etc.

And an EXPERT who was wearing nothing more than a paintball gun and goggles wearing basic street clothes and cross training shoes.

I suspect the same is with geocaching.

So I am either an amateur or an expert. I carry a GPSr, pen and flashlight (if I am caching at night). Sometimes I even carry some swag to drop.

Great post. So true.

Why would anyone have to prove they were a geocacher?

If it was an LEO asking, I'd show them my

GPS - for locating caches, and hidden crack factories in the woods.

Gerber multitool - all sorts of uses - including breaking into cars.

Backpack - well, I've got to carry the loot around in something.

Bug bites and scratches - "and what, exactly, besides looking for a plastic box, where you doing in the woods on your own?"

On second thoughts, maybe not.......

I carried a flashlight and a pocket knife before I was a geocacher, so:

As my "proof" I would whip out the TB that I just picked up, two different pens, a freshly painted ammo can, and emails to a local parks & recreation manager.

Actually I could just show them a plastic "gold" coin, a signature card from another cacher that I liked, a wooden nickel, a rusty key chain and a cheap ring that I think came out of a gumball machine. That will either prove I'm a geocacher or....special.

I have an occult hand. And a chessboard.

Oh, and a GPS, several backpacks, a lot of water bottles, random coins (trackable and not), a Delorme atlas that is all colored in, and several caches named for me!

Plus, I've learned to recognize "Fvbarin" when it comes up in a hint. Which is kinda scary.

1. The Garmin Colordo 300 - full of cache listings
  2. the Garmin Oregon 200 - full of cache listings
  3. The Garmin eTrex Legend HCx
  4. The Garmin Rino 120
  5. spare batteries
  6. my shoulder pack full of swag
  7. the geocaching sticker in the window
  8. blisters on my fingertips from 10,000+ psts on the forums
  9. The extra cache containers in the back of the Jeep
  10. The spare logsheets in my wallet
  11. etc

When I got stopped by a cop recently I kept showing him my "GEO" sticker on the back of my Jeep. I didn't work though, he just wanted to know where the "cash" is.

a Delorme atlas that is all colored in,

That's a good one!

I have the corrected co-ordinates for my NC County Challenge in my wallet for the occasional "OMG I've got all 100 counties!" rabid phone calls.

Aww I thought you would tell them how you DNF license tag got you out of that ticket the other day. :D:D

Back OT-I could show my 60csx with all of the nearest unfound caches loaded. I could lead them by memory to the nearest one I have already found. Or I can just babble on about geocaching until they get that glazed look in their eyes and wander off on their own. :D

Edited by wimseyguy

5 things?

Hmmmm...

1. My Human TB#

2. All the odd bowls and cups holding sugar and flower and tea bags because all of my lock n locks are in the woods.

3. The velcro patch on the back of my GPS to hold it to my backpack well I'm hiking to a long distant cache.

4. Pockets full of trinkets from the quarter machines for swag trades.

5. Everything on my fridge is held up by nanos. Swizzle