Most Ridiclous ALRs..

benh57

"YOU CAN NOT LOG THIS CACHE UNTIL 1 WEEK AFTER YOU FIND IT." If you do, your log will be deleted.

Wins for me...

Anyone else seen some annoying/stupid ones?

Not talking about fun/silly ALR like posing in a silly pose in a photo, just things which are just plain pointless.

Excuse my newness, but what is ALR?

Even though I am a newb, I am already getting tired of skirt caches and the like. I do have a few urban caches that I think are pretty cool and took some time to do. But the ones that are just thrown out there are getting boring to me.

ALR is Additional Logging Requirements. For example, you might have to email the CO a copy of your track log to prove you actually hiked the 15 km to the cache.

Another popular idea is a photo cache where you have to post a photo of yourself at the cache, sometimes doing something funny.

"YOU CAN NOT LOG THIS CACHE UNTIL 1 WEEK AFTER YOU FIND IT." If you do, your log will be deleted.

Wins for me...

Not talking about fun/silly ALR like posing in a silly pose in a photo, just things which are just plain pointless.

Any idea why the owner wanted that requirement? Not that he needs one I suppose, but did he give a reason?

I've recently realized that there would definitely be some caches I would put on my ignore list, and that would be those that would mess with my find history like this one would.

I suppose that Benh57 is talking about the cache I saw published this morning. It looks like it wanted to have an ALR that the First To Find hide another cache with the same ALR. But of course an ALR that you hide another cache is specifically not allowed (although I can't seem to find this in the guidelines - is it time for an update?). Since they could not list this requirement they tried another - that you could only be FTF once on any such cache. That didn't seem to fly as well. So they posted these requirements as "guidelines" and then added the ALR that Benh57 is referring to. Hey, I can stop and get this on my way home :D

Wins for me...

no problem for me.

if i log a cache within a month of finding it, that's speedy.

Actually, what a great idea for a ALR cache, benh57!

"You must post your biggest gripes about ALR caches (like this one) in your log. Otherwise, it will be deleted." :D

Haha. Isn't griping the point of the forums?

They've added a new requirement. Notes on the cache page are verboten as well and will be deleted.

People have already ignored the ALR and had their finds deleted. Methinks this won't last long.

We have "you cannot log this cache if you have found a cache in the past six weeks".

Made some people think to delete all of their recent logs, log the ALR cache, wait a bit, then re-log.

I have one of this type near me. Its a test.

Are you geocaching maniac, obsessed, addicted?...

Do this one. And dont find a cache in next 4 weeks.

If you can do you are ok.

We have "you cannot log this cache if you have found a cache in the past six weeks".

Made some people think to delete all of their recent logs, log the ALR cache, wait a bit, then re-log.

Has anyone tested the CO to see if he tracks all the finders for the four weeks to see if they log any finds?? And what about if they wait 2 months to log their finds. Seems to me the guy has created himself untold grief trying to constantly check on all the finders......forever.

Has anyone tested the CO to see if he tracks all the finders for the four weeks to see if they log any finds?? And what about if they wait 2 months to log their finds. Seems to me the guy has created himself untold grief trying to constantly check on all the finders......forever.

No. Its a joke. Just kidding. Nobody will control. Its their type of humor.

One of my puzzle caches has developed quite a nice ALR all on its own. I never asked for it, but I after I posted a photo of my car in the parking area, almost half the finders have also done so. It makes for an unusual photo gallery, just cars and trucks all parked at the exact same spot.

It is fun to see a new log and then see if the finder uploads the parking photo!

(Note, the puzzle is an unusual one. I'm not fond of geocheckers and especially for this puzzle, I suspect some will try to find it without a GPS. The photo originally served as a mild sanity check that you were in the right area.)

One of my puzzle caches has developed quite a nice ALR all on its own. I never asked for it, but I after I posted a photo of my car in the parking area, almost half the finders have also done so. It makes for an unusual photo gallery, just cars and trucks all parked at the exact same spot.

It is fun to see a new log and then see if the finder uploads the parking photo!

(Note, the puzzle is an unusual one. I'm not fond of geocheckers and especially for this puzzle, I suspect some will try to find it without a GPS. The photo originally served as a mild sanity check that you were in the right area.)

Now that is what makes geocaching fun!!!!

While it has nothing to do with an ALR I have a cache just a couple of blocks from here that was the second one I placed. It seems that about half of the logs mention seeing deer near the cache. Oddly enough, nobody has uploaded a photo of a deer though.

One of my puzzle caches has developed quite a nice ALR all on its own.

I've seen this phenominom on a cache I found in Brevard County called La Caza del Camaleon.

The CO made the cache page into a poem, and dang near everybody who logged it followed suit.

We have a puzzle here in town that uses language to solve it. My MIL andI were the FTF, so we had a little fun by posting our logs in two different languages. Then we sat back to see what would happen (while giggling, of course). Most of the logs after us were written in different languages, and it took about 2 years before the other languages finally petered out. Some of them are rather silly, like pig-latin. :bad:Multi-lingual.

I can only think of one ALR that I've seen/been to (although I'm sure there must have been more). It asked that the person post a favorite poem, which was easy to do. I think that the best sort of ALR's are the types that are suggested, and not punishable (although unfortunately, not many people will do them, sorta like cache themed trading, which is why I think there are ALR's out there), or ones that just happen spontaneously, like these examples.

Any idea why the owner wanted that requirement? Not that he needs one I suppose, but did he give a reason?

Just a guess on my part, but maybe he wanted FTF hopefuls to not know if it was found yet?

I wait to log my FTFs just for this reason. I'm sneaky that way.

I just got yelled at for doing that... Parking lot late night cache and I was up so I FTF'd - some kid went out the next day in the snow and got mad that I had not signed in online... less than a day and people get itchy and B!

Just a guess on my part, but maybe he wanted FTF hopefuls to not know if it was found yet?

I wait to log my FTFs just for this reason. I'm sneaky that way.

I just got yelled at for doing that... Parking lot late night cache and I was up so I FTF'd - some kid went out the next day in the snow and got mad that I had not signed in online... less than a day and people get itchy and B!

I wonder when we'll see the first person being sued for that on your side of the ocean :-)

I, too, think it cool when folks spontaneously follow a theme. I've seen it several times for puzzles that use cryptography--logs are posts using the same scheme. Same with style like Pirate-speak.

I don't care for ALRs, though. Voluntarily following a theme is one thing. Being forced to do something unrelated to finding the cache simply to properly log online is quite another, IMHO.

I've been toying with the idea to hide a pair of caches. One is called COPY and the other called PASTE. They would be located in close proximity to each other. The ALR would be that you must find both and the logs cannot be identical in any way. Two unique logs.

Of course I wonder how long it will take for somebody to write "Found" and "It" or "TNLNSL" and "TFTC" for each log. Maybe add that acronyms and one word logs are also unacceptable. :(

That would stink for those who like to log their caches in the correct order they were found.

Was it at least listed as a puzzle/mystery/other blue question mark?

I have to admit that I don't always read the cache descriptions, especially if I'm doing a bunch of easy park and grab caches and have had a few logs deleted for not seeing ALRs for traditional caches. One was clearly added after the cache was published.

"Effective 11/1/08, in order to log this cache, you must..."

"ONLINE LOGS TYPED IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS WILL BE DELETED."

If the cache description is written in all capital letters without proper punctuation, I figure that's what the owner wants and copy their style.

FOUND CASH TODAY WHILE CASHING IN THE AREA WE HAD FUN!!! YEAH IT WAS A GOOD TIME HOPE TO FIND MORE LIKE IT IN THE FUTURE GOOD TIMES I LIKED THE CAMMO

Even though I am a newb, I am already getting tired of skirt caches and the like. I do have a few urban caches that I think are pretty cool and took some time to do. But the ones that are just thrown out there are getting boring to me.

Congratulations!!! Lots of people haven't figured that out in their first 5000 caches. You can always leave the wormy apples on the tree.

One of the local geocachers near here had a cache where you couldn't log it until you had found 10 of his signature items and deposited those sig items in the cache at the time of signing the paper log. That ALR required more effort than most to complete. People ended up visiting caches after CO, collecting the sig item that he leaves in each cache he visits.

The cache got destroyed in a mysterious road-side fire. A mad geocacher perhaps? We will never know.

Don't worry spacejam... I don't consider myself new and I did not know what ALR was :laughing: but thanks to your question... I do now :unsure:

That would stink for those who like to log their caches in the correct order they were found.

Was it at least listed as a puzzle/mystery/other blue question mark?

I have to admit that I don't always read the cache descriptions, especially if I'm doing a bunch of easy park and grab caches and have had a few logs deleted for not seeing ALRs for traditional caches. One was clearly added after the cache was published.

"Effective 11/1/08, in order to log this cache, you must..."

Yes, it is an unknown type. (otherwise it would not have been approved)

I religiously log caches in order. If/when i do this one i'll have to not log caches for a week. (which should be fine as i often don't cache during the week, i can wait a bit)... still annoying.

ALRs added after cache placement is cause for archival or forced type change from the reviewer, unless it's grandfathered. (and if effective date was 11/1/08, it isn't)

One of the local geocachers near here had a cache where you couldn't log it until you had found 10 of his signature items and deposited those sig items in the cache at the time of signing the paper log. That ALR required more effort than most to complete. People ended up visiting caches after CO, collecting the sig item that he leaves in each cache he visits.

The cache got destroyed in a mysterious road-side fire. A mad geocacher perhaps? We will never know.

Was that WININI?

One of my puzzle caches has developed quite a nice ALR all on its own.

I've seen this phenominom on a cache I found in Brevard County called La Caza del Camaleon.

The CO made the cache page into a poem, and dang near everybody who logged it followed suit.

Check this out for poems.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...d7-8fa442743dd0

GCXF2Z - The Japanese Gardens of Houston.

ALR - at least one haiku MUST be included in your log or it will be deleted. CO gives instructions on what a haiku is and how to do it.

NOW for the funny part -- it's been archived. Check out the Prime Reviewer's comments -- in 2 part haiku nonetheless!!

Cache missing since May

The owner seems not to care

Prime disables it

A month comes and goes

If not fixed within that time

Archived it will be

Found this the other day on the HGCS boards. Still get a kick out of PR's humor.

Was that WININI?

I don't know if that's who they mean, but didn't he have one where you had to find a combination of his different tokens in order to get the final coords, I never really looked into it even though I had the right tokens. I thought it was a cool idea.

Hmmmm..... I might be tempted to 'borrow' that cache, & keep it with me the prerequisite 4 weeks (maybe even 5-6), THEN sign & return it. Meanwhilst, can you imagine CO's angst steadily building while he wonders why nobody's logging it?

~*

~*