Cache Effect Coming out of the Closet Geocoin

Landsharkz

72e6f77c-eb27-4807-a9fc-3ea9c4a3b2c8.jpg

We've been working with Cache Effect for some time now and have been asked to initiate the launch of their new personal geocoin...

One side is their Volunteer Reviewer side - with Signal holding the closet door open to reveal them peeking out from the dark recesses and the other side also features Signal and is a great likeness of them and states their geocaching handle.

But we're not going to show you that side... yet!!

52da5071-c0ac-41ce-8a99-d19310d2bf71.jpg

We have this coin for sale on our site in two versions - black nickel and antique copper. Paint colours vary between the two versions and of course CE has a version all their own!

It is 45mm x 3.0mm, SE and IHE, trackable on geocaching.com with a custom icon. The coin is being sold for $10.00 CAD each and you can find it HERE!

Edited by Landsharkz

Wow, the number of coins going to Alberta is phenomenal - and we haven't had time to get a newsletter out yet :D !

Oh the suspense!! Who could be so generous of their time for the cachers in AB?

Is it your best cachin' buddy :D , is it me (NOT!) :P , maybe it's Jeremy himself :D ??

BTW, we reserve the right to take the full 48hours to ship orders and maybe 1 more day if it snows :D;) .

:D

Hopefully Helen doesn't mind the use of her quote in a recent email; (Just in case Cache Effect was having second thoughts)

"As Princess Diana’s friend said to her, when she wanted to back out of the wedding to Prince Charles… “You have to go through with it! Your face is on the tea-towels!”"

It's hard to believe that it's just shy of three years since Cache Effect agreed to be the reviewer

for Alberta. The time has finally come for Cache Effect to come out of the closet and a geocoin seemed like the perfect way to make the announcement.

Thanks to the Landsharkz for creating the "out of the closet geocoin" - there was never any doubt that the final outcome would be anything but spectacular. Hopefully no one is disappointed when they see

who is on the other side. :)

Thanks also to Groundspeak for allowing "Signal" to coax Cache Effect out of the closet.

For those who don't get a coin through Landsharkz there is always the possibility of finding one of our "special edition" coins in a cache if you live within CE's caching area. :)

Hopefully Helen doesn't mind the use of her quote in a recent email; (Just in case Cache Effect was having second thoughts)

"As Princess Diana's friend said to her, when she wanted to back out of the wedding to Prince Charles… "You have to go through with it! Your face is on the tea-towels!""

It's hard to believe that it's just shy of three years since Cache Effect agreed to be the reviewer

for Alberta. The time has finally come for Cache Effect to come out of the closet and a geocoin seemed like the perfect way to make the announcement.

Thanks to the Landsharkz for creating the "out of the closet geocoin" - there was never any doubt that the final outcome would be anything but spectacular. Hopefully no one is disappointed when they see

who is on the other side. :blink:

Thanks also to Groundspeak for allowing "Signal" to coax Cache Effect out of the closet.

For those who don't get a coin through Landsharkz there is always the possibility of finding one of our "special edition" coins in a cache if you live within CE's caching area. :)

I'm venturing several guesses but not out loud.... :unsure: . I will be surprised like everyone else.

Alberta has multitudes (YES MULTITUDES!!!!!) of very generous cachers and anyone of them could be Cache Effect. Having had several dealings with CE, I can tell you this person is VERY patient and must spend all day on the computer! :D

I thought Signal the frog was a symbol of geocaching, but now it looks like you are placing her into a category that has nothing to do with Geocaching. This is a bit disturbing to put it mildly.
I didn't want to post this because I will get "labeled" but I have to agree. I don't think we want to see coins for every personal/private matter that has nothing to do with the game. We all need to look past our differences when we play a game. Dwelling on the differences is a step backwards IMHO.

P.S. We all appreciate what hard-working volunteers like CE do for the game.

Edited by TrailGators
I thought Signal the frog was a symbol of geocaching, but now it looks like you are placing her into a category that has nothing to do with Geocaching. This is a bit disturbing to put it mildly.
I didn't want to post this because I will get "labeled" but I have to agree. I don't think we want to see coins for every personal/private matter that has nothing to do with the game. We all need to look past our differences when we play a game. Dwelling on the differences is a step backwards IMHO.

I'm pretty sure that it's just a phrase... and that Cache Effect is only "coming out of the closet" in the respect that he or she is telling everyone his or her identity ...and being a reviewer, and a player does have to do with geocaching.

But, if I'm wrong, i think it's a fine thing to allude to on a personal coin. It's a personal coin, it has to do with a person. If somebody is gay that's part of who they are, sorry if that upsets you. Golly I hope no one is upset by all the personal elements and symbology in my personal coin :unsure:

I'm pretty sure that it's just a phrase... and that Cache Effect is only "coming out of the closet" in the respect that he or she is telling everyone his or her identity ...and being a reviewer, and a player does have to do with geocaching.

But, if I'm wrong, i think it's a fine thing to allude to on a personal coin. It's a personal coin, it has to do with a person. If somebody is gay that's part of who they are, sorry if that upsets you. Golly I hope no one is upset by all the personal elements and symbology in my personal coin :blink:

I'm not "upset" but I expected that comment too. I think you missed my point. We all have a fun game in common, so why bring things into a game that are really outside the game? In other words, why should we care as geocachers whether someone is gay or hetero or whatever?

Edit: Anyhow, I was trying to express my opinion in a respectful way. I'm not going to argue my opinion. It is what it is. I guess if I got a coin it would be of a picture of a stubborn caching gator. :unsure:

Edited by TrailGators

What?!!! 'Coming out of the closet' in this instance on the coin has nothing to do with sexual orientation as ThirstyMick pointed out. It is merely being used as a phrase for revealing who Cache Effect is. They could've used another phrase like 'letting the cat out of the bag' but then would there be some who would've thought CE was a cat?

I think Signal's placement on the coin was also justified...Signal as the mascot for Groundspeak is excited to reveal who Cache Effect really is, a volunteer who works extremely hard for this organization and believe me, the amount of new caches in Alberta over even the last year is astounding. Edmonton, Red Deer, Calgary and Lethbridge all have very active caching communities and it would be interesting to see some numbers on the rate of cache submittal in Alberta...

Garden Gorilla is absolutely correct.

Being in the closet is in fact a term used within the geocaching community to refer to a reviewer who does not reveal their actual identity for one reason or another. There are quite a few reviewers that are "in the closet" so to speak. Cache Effect are about to reveal his/her/their/it's true identity to the public.

To say a reviewer is "in the closet" has absolutely no sexual connotation whatsoever. Signal is proud to reveal the Groundspeak volunteer reviewer. The reviewer is proud to let people know who it really is and happy to no longer be keeping a secret from fellow geocachers. Sometimes it is necessary for a reviewer to remain in the closet for one reason or another... but that it food for discussion on a non-geocoin thread.

So if you're a cacher, and you see that a reviewer is "coming out of the closet" don't get all up in arms! Celebrate the fact that someone who has volunteered to help the community in a HUGE way feels comfortable enough to let everyone know who he/she really is.

If you Googled the phrase "coming out of the closet," then you would see why I thought what I thought. I wasn't the only one in this thread that thought that. As long as I can remember that phrase has had a well-known connotation. Now it sounds like a tongue-in-cheek double entendre if that is the expression they use for all reviewers...

Edited by TrailGators

Perhaps we need a "Homophobes Coming Out of The Closet" geocoin :unsure: It's a personal geocoin, it's supposed to be about the person. Funny how people don't get upset about the "we had a baby" geocoins, or the "we're getting married" geocoins, or the "we met five years ago" geocoins, which are also personal/private matters. Of course, if a personal geocoin offends someone, they always have the option to not buy it. Heck, they even have the option to keep their disturbing opinions about it to themselves :unsure: But then again, we wouldn't have the fun of watching them throw their righteous indignation around when they jump to the wrong conclusion :lol:

Now that we've clarified what a personal geocoin is, perhaps we can get back on topic! Sadly, we missed the sale :anibad: Hopefully the identity will remain a secret until we work out a trade, although the suspense is killing me! Great coin, can't wait to get one!!

Perhaps we need a "Homophobes Coming Out of The Closet" geocoin :unsure: It's a personal geocoin, it's supposed to be about the person. Funny how people don't get upset about the "we had a baby" geocoins, or the "we're getting married" geocoins, or the "we met five years ago" geocoins, which are also personal/private matters. Of course, if a personal geocoin offends someone, they always have the option to not buy it. Heck, they even have the option to keep their disturbing opinions about it to themselves :anibad: But then again, we wouldn't have the fun of watching them throw their righteous indignation around when they jump to the wrong conclusion :lol:

Well said. Frankly it never entered my mind that the phrase had anything to do with sexual orientation. I think some people just enjoy seeing things that aren't there so they can make a big stink out of nothing. The phrase "attention-seeking" springs to mind. :unsure:

Well said. Frankly it never entered my mind that the phrase had anything to do with sexual orientation. I think some people just enjoy seeing things that aren't there so they can make a big stink out of nothing. The phrase "attention-seeking" springs to mind. :unsure:

No need for flames. I just explained why I thought what I thought:

If you Googled the phrase "coming out of the closet," then you would see why I thought what I thought. I wasn't the only one in this thread that thought that. As long as I can remember that phrase has had a well-known connotation. Now it sounds like a tongue-in-cheek double entendre if that is the expression they use for all reviewers...

Wow, this thread was certainly dragged off track. The very first post explains what the term means here. There is nothing to misunderstand. They are revealing their identity, it's quite clearly stated. It pains me to see a happy thread like this dragged down by intolerance, and misunderstanding. Please get it back on track.

And I posted what I thought in response. Fair enough?

Fair enough. Break a leg...

By the way, "Break a leg" means good luck. Look it up in google. Now maybe some of you will understand how someone can easily misunderstand an expression if they are not aware of it. :unsure:

So good luck with your coin. It is pretty sharp looking by the way...

I hate that I missed it!

Did you get our newsletter? This topic is covered thoroughly in the Jan 6 edition :unsure:

When do we get to see the other side!

I have instruction from CE, which do include a sneak preview of the other side. I'll see if I can find a morsel for you this morning...

It would be prudent if you get one in the mail, to NOT post a photo of the other side - folks will miss the excitement of seeing it for themselves when they get theirs in the mail. It will be posted here eventually (and not too long I promise!).

Do you guys 'do' prudent? :unsure:

TrailGators... Long May Your Big Jib Draw!

And I posted what I thought in response. Fair enough?

Fair enough. Break a leg...

By the way, "Break a leg" means good luck. Look it up in google. Now maybe some of you will understand how someone can easily misunderstand an expression if they are not aware of it. :unsure:

Are you speaking to me? I don't need you to tell me what "break a leg" means - thanks. :unsure:

I hate that I missed it!

Did you get our newsletter? This topic is covered thoroughly in the Jan 6 edition :unsure:

When do we get to see the other side!

I have instruction from CE, which do include a sneak preview of the other side. I'll see if I can find a morsel for you this morning...

It would be prudent if you get one in the mail, to NOT post a photo of the other side - folks will miss the excitement of seeing it for themselves when they get theirs in the mail. It will be posted here eventually (and not too long I promise!).

Do you guys 'do' prudent? :unsure:

TrailGators... Long May Your Big Jib Draw!

I guess I wasn't signed up! I did go to your site and fixed that!

Thanks Helen!

They could've used another phrase like 'letting the cat out of the bag' but then would there be some who would've thought CE was a cat?

Cache Effect is a cat? Who knew?

I do not like cats but I do like Cache Effect.

Now that I know Cache Effect is a cat I may have to rethink my initial impressions.

It is apparent to me that any job that a cat can do could also be done by a dog.

I hope that there are going to be some dogs coming out of the bag as well.

Is Cache Agent also a cat?

I hope Groundspeak knows that cats don't like frogs.

If you see a cat with a broken leg now you know the cat is likely named Lucky.

I have dustballs in my closet and when I open the door they come out.

Some people think I have a dog in my geocaching bag.

This could be Cache Effect getting ready to come out of the bag...

001-1.jpg

This is not cache Effect, this cat is called Dido and as far as I know Dido does not review caches.

TheCat.jpg

I know who is going to be on the geocoin but I am not telling because I am catty.

776a3e2e-4145-4249-bde2-45ac7b6c5fae.jpg

CE came out of the closet at an event in their own caching community last night and so we are now able to open the door for you a little bit more!

Clearly there is some sort of mixup.

I can only find one event that is anywhere near Alberta that was held yesterday and that would be this one.

This event was hosted by Ringrat and I looked in the gallery for the event, you know what?

Not a single cat (and certainly no cats with broken legs). I am convinced that something is fishy (cats like fish).

I really hope you intend to let the cats out of the closet?

Did you know that the person on the coin is wearing an eye-patch? What is that about? :blink:

776a3e2e-4145-4249-bde2-45ac7b6c5fae.jpg

CE came out of the closet at an event in their own caching community last night and so we are now able to open the door for you a little bit more!

Clearly there is some sort of mixup.

I can only find one event that is anywhere near Alberta that was held yesterday and that would be this one.

This event was hosted by Ringrat and I looked in the gallery for the event, you know what?

Not a single cat (and certainly no cats with broken legs). I am convinced that something is fishy (cats like fish).

I really hope you intend to let the cats out of the closet?

Did you know that the person on the coin is wearing an eye-patch? What is that about? :blink:

Hey my son wore an eye patch for 3 years and he never once said he saw a cat with a broken leg. He would love to see the eye patch on a coin but we missed it.

He used to glue those google eyes on it.

It a really cute coin.