Rude and Presumptous (or not)

GIDEON-X

:laughing: February 10 by princess toadstool (2461 found)

1;43 pm - Both Tony and I took turns searching while the other kept Max the dog

outside. Neither of us had any luck - PT and Tony"........Hmmm.

MY Reply / Deleated thier (FIND) Hi, How do "U" claim this as afind?

Guess I made a mistake - will fix when I have complete internet access - by the

way, your email tone was rather rude and presumptuous

Was it or Wasn't it R & P ??

It was (most likely) a mistake, and they hit "found it" rather than DNF. I see it a lot on my caches, but I give them the benefit of the doubt for a couple of days, usually it gets changed straight away. I personally would still email them first before I deleted their log.

Your email? Not the way I'd tone it, I would go in with "I assume you made a mistake..." rather than going for the jugular straight away. Presumptuous, yeah maybe. But rude? Nah, not so bad. I've seen worse. FAAAR worse.

Edited by Maingray

It was short and to the point. I can understand how someone might feel you were being rude if they chose to read it that way. I probably would have just gone back and logged a DNF. Of course I wouldn't log that as a find to begin with unless I did it by accident.

By the way, it is at least possible that they claimed the find by accident. If that was the case then they probably would have been more likely to read a negative tone into your email.

No worries. It's just a game/hobby/sport/obsession/floor wax/dessert topping.

How do "U" claim this as a find?

I find any text or leet speak rude in an email. You can write in complete sentences.

Did they find it or not? I sounds from the snippet that they searched and came up with a frown face, but could not bring themselves to post it as such. The only way to be sure would be to look at the log for a sig.

How do "U" claim this as a find?

I find any text or leet speak rude in an email. You can write in complete sentences.

Did they find it or not? I sounds from the snippet that they searched and came up with a frown face, but could not bring themselves to post it as such. The only way to be sure would be to look at the log for a sig.

Not only that, but it's an easy mistake to choose the wrong "found it/DNF" action from the drop down menu. Giving them the benefit of the doubt would have been worded like this:

"I think you accidentally chose the wrong action 'Found It' when you logged my cache today. Can you please change your log?"

So basically, yes, I would have also read your message as rude and presumptuous.

Edited by mvigor

I merged together the two identical threads. I figured you made a mistake, or there was a burp in the forum software, so I didn't issue a warning for spamming multiple topics. That happens sometimes.

You may wish to consider the possibility that the logger selected the wrong log type. That happens sometimes.

I don't think it was presumptious, but the use of "U" (and why in quotes and caps?) instead of "you" is considered rude in email.

I merged together the two identical threads. I figured you made a mistake, or there was a burp in the forum software, so I didn't issue a warning for spamming multiple topics. That happens sometimes.

Keystone-

It was very nice of you not to presume that the OP actually MEANT to post two copies of the same topic. How completely not rude! :laughing: He must have made a simple mistake.

Edited by mvigor

Actually I think that how you pick your words and how you present them has as much to do as the words themselves for getting their meaning across. Same as texting or emailing :

u gona meet us dn @ bills or ru @ home

rather then :

Are you going to meet us down at Bill's or are you at home?

If you don't know the preson who is reading your message you should keep it somewhat professional to get a decent response. If you're emailing your best friend and you both type like that, fine. If you're applying for a job and your cover letter and resume are typed like that, have fun flipping burgers. Also, when something is capitalized it's considered SHOUTING.

And deleting their log before you even give them a chance to correct a possible mistake is not very diplomatic, either. Everyone can rule their domain of caches how they wish, but I believe it best to give cachers the benifit of a doubt before touching their log entry.

A tad on the rude side...I agree with the other posters that I would have sent a question email first. "Hey, I noticed you logged a 'found it' on my xxx cache, but that you said you didn't actually find the cache. Did you accidentally select the wrong option when you were logging it?"

Now, if they answered back with the "this is how I play the game, leave my smiley alone" or didn't reply at all, I'd delete their log and send a little note saying why I'd done it.

Could've been a mistake, could've been someone claiming a find you didn't approve. I'd ask before jumping all over them.

I wouldn't say you were rude. Terse is more like it.

I would have tried a different approach. I probably would have e-mailed the person saying something like: "I see you didn't find my XXXXX cache but it looks like you accidentally logged a found it instead of a DNF. Would you kindly change it to a DNF so as not to confuse other geocachers?"

With the written word it is way too easy to for your intent and tone to be misinterpreted so you need to be especially careful if you don't want to ruffle feathers.

Edited by briansnat

I don't think it was presumptious, but the use of "U" (and why in quotes and caps?) instead of "you" is considered rude in email.

Tomato... Tomatto?

I don't see anything in the wording rude, but if you deleted the log, THAT could have been what was perceived as being R&P. As others have said, sending a note (nice one of course) asking if this were a mistake probably would have been met differently with the response!!

There's always time to be a bit more rude IF they don't change the log!! :laughing:

I don't see anything in the wording rude, but if you deleted the log, THAT could have been what was perceived as being R&P. As others have said, sending a note (nice one of course) asking if this were a mistake probably would have been met differently with the response!!

There's always time to be a bit more rude IF they don't change the log!! :laughing:

We should all take the lead from people like briansnat & Keystone...

There is never a reason to get rude...

(I know I'm just as guilty as anyone else, but rerstraint is the best approach)...

I guess that's why they are moderators...

Edited by Peconic Bay Sailors

Just to weigh in -- I'm not sure that I'd see it as presumptuous. Perhaps rude, though I'm not sure about that -- it doesn't necessarily strike me as rude right now, but if someone deleted my log without dropping me a note first (especially if it was a long log, which I see wasn't the case in this case), I'd start off pretty unhappy to begin with and would probably see it as rude.

I see that other people have pointed out the unprofessionalism of "l33t" writing, and the fact that capital letters are shouting. I should also point out that when quotation marks are used outside of actual quotations, it usually means "so-called". Imagine, for a moment, that you are speaking to someone face-to-face, and when you say "you", you do the quotation mark gesture with your fingers. That could very much come across as rude and sarcastic. A person might think, "what, are you accusing me of not actually having looked for the cache in the first place, or claiming someone else's search attempt?"

Edited by Jackalgirl

Just to weigh in -- I'm not sure that I'd see it as presumptuous. Perhaps rude, though I'm not sure about that -- it doesn't necessarily strike me as rude right now, but if someone deleted my log without dropping me a note first (especially if it was a long log, which I see wasn't the case in this case), I'd start off pretty unhappy to begin with and would probably see it as rude.

I see that other people have pointed out the unprofessionalism of "l33t" writing, and the fact that capital letters are shouting. I should also point out that when quotation marks are used outside of actual quotations, it usually means "so-called". Imagine, for a moment, that you are speaking to someone face-to-face, and when you say "you", you do the quotation mark gesture with your fingers. That could very much come across as rude and sarcastic. A person might think, "what, are you accusing me of not actually having looked for the cache in the first place, or claiming someone else's search attempt?"

Everybody has their "own" (quotes intended) internet speak...

I wouldn't read too much into it...

I would say no! I have seen cachers log finds on my caches when they could see the cache but not access it. I deleted their logs.

I have tried sending an e-mail asking cachers to remove their logs but they never do it of reply to my

e-mails. Sure sending an politically correct, it just does not work.

Edited by JohnnyVegas
I have tried sending an e-mail asking cachers to remove their logs but they never do it of reply to my e-mails. Sure sending an politically correct, it just does not work.
I beg to differ as I have had people correct logs when requested for many reasons : They put too much detail about the camo job in the log and gives it away totally to everyone else. They entered a DNF but the text said they enjoyed the find. They entered a find but the text said they will come back and try again at another time. They described their adventure but I could tell from the text they entered the log for the wrong cache. They entered a date of their find before the date the cache was hidden (wrong month or year or something obvious). Have yet to have anyone NOT fix a mistake. I guess it's all in how you approach someone.

Then again, some of us are like the teachers we had who would point out you put your name in the wrong place on your 3 hour exam paper and allow us to fix it. And other are like the teachers who would rip your exam to pieces, throw it in the trash and fail you in the class because of it. I know which kind of teacher I'd rather be and rather have... :laughing:

I have tried sending an e-mail asking cachers to remove their logs but they never do it of reply to my e-mails. Sure sending an politically correct, it just does not work.
I beg to differ as I have had people correct logs when requested for many reasons : They put too much detail about the camo job in the log and gives it away totally to everyone else. They entered a DNF but the text said they enjoyed the find. They entered a find but the text said they will come back and try again at another time. They described their adventure but I could tell from the text they entered the log for the wrong cache. They entered a date of their find before the date the cache was hidden (wrong month or year or something obvious). Have yet to have anyone NOT fix a mistake. I guess it's all in how you approach someone.

Then again, some of us are like the teachers we had who would point out you put your name in the wrong place on your 3 hour exam paper and allow us to fix it. And other are like the teachers who would rip your exam to pieces, throw it in the trash and fail you in the class because of it. I know which kind of teacher I'd rather be and rather have... :laughing:

If they are putting in "spoilers"n their logs... I would delete them, and send a polite e-mail with my reasoning and request a less descriptive log...

If they refuse to comply with that...

I would just keep deleting the logs, but not get into a "personal war"...

No need to get nasty... If it gets out of hand with a particular user...

I'd e-mail Groundspeak about the issue...

Or possibly, they entered the log mistakenly???

You, as the owner of the cache, have the option to delete the log...

anyway, I would send an e-mail with an explanation...

You beg to differ

How do you know how many e-mails I have received repies to, I have had Zero, Zip, Nada replies to e-mails I have sent cachers re there logs on my caches. I some cases I have sent several e-mails with no replies I am tired of cachers logging finds on my caches when they have not signed the log book. No signiture no find.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

You beg to differ

How do you know how many e-mails I have received repies to, I have had Zero, Zip, Nada replies to e-mails I have sent cachers re there logs on my caches. I some cases I have sent several e-mails with no replies I am tired of cachers logging finds on my caches when they have not signed the log book. No signiture no find.

If that's the situation... just delete the find... it's up to them, then, to contact you if they have a problem with your decision...

You beg to differ

I believe they were differing with your opinion that it "it just does not work"...not with whether your emails were effective or not. It's certainly within your right to delete logs you feel are bogus. Maybe it's your approach that's keeping people from responding.

Or maybe you're seeing more people logging when they don't find the cache and not from honest mistakes as others have pointed to.

You beg to differ

I begged to differ for my circumstances, not yours. I have never had someone not change a log when requested and with +230 hides I have a few logs to deal with each and every day... as far as the fake logs that's another (long) thread so I'll not get into that here.

:laughing: February 10 by a friend of mine (2461 found)

Since the cachers were from out-of-town, attending the big Yuma Event weekend, it would have been better to have given them a little time to change their "Found it" to a "Didn't Find it." Instead of deleting their log right away, you should have sent a friendly email first stating that it looked like they chose the wrong option from the "Drop Down" list.

I've made that mistake when logging from my home computer. It is even easier to make that mistake when logging from a PDA with limited Internet access.

In some cases the finders were are bold enough to make statements like these when they claimed their finds

"the cache must be missing so I will claim the find"

"I think I may have part of the cache container, so I will claim the find"

"there were to many muggles so I could not retrieve the container to sign the log booK"

"The cache was missing so I replaced it with another one"

and these log were by experianced cachers

Edited by JohnnyVegas

In some cases the finders were are bold enough to make statements like these when they claimed their finds

"there were to many muggles so I could not retrieve the container to sign the log booK"

These are also quite different examples than what the OP provided. I still wouldn't be curt with any of these loggers, but I'd probably delete their finds and send them a quick email that I don't agree with their methods of claiming smilies on my caches.

As an expert in R&P, yes you crossed the line into that zone. Maybe not far, but more than you needed to get the job done.

A better approach is to give them the benefit of the doubt and ask them. "I see you had a DNF on my cache but logged it as a find? Did you use the wrong log type on accident?" If you give them the chance to fix it they normally will and you won't be as R&P. You can alwas resort to deleting the log if they jump on the R&P bandwagon and get on your case.

I've never really had this problem on my caches, but if it did start occuring regularly I'd keep a form letter that I could use as a template to send the person a friendly e-mail asking them to change their log.

I'd also include the text of their log in case I end up having to delete their log and they need to re-log it (correctly).

If they didn't change their log after four weeks, I'd just go ahead and delete it.

I suppose if I had hundreds of cache hides and there were hundreds of questionable logs things could get out of hand and annoying.

Doesn't sound like they were experienced cache owners as I don't think any owner would appreciate any of those claims or actions. We have had caches in parks that the last log entry was something like :

"The cache was located too far off the trail so we moved it to a more cacher friendly location".

HUH?????????? And we're supposed to follow this and find it? PUH-lease.... :laughing:

I have a list of a few cachers that I know claim bogus finds, there logs I do check.
Bringing up another potential topic, should be have a database or something tagged to a cacher's profile where cache owners can rank/rate/review a cacher... hmmmmmmmmm

If caught, they should be required to use this picture in their profile.

Self%20Portrait%20as%20Liar.jpg

I have a list of a few cachers that I know claim bogus finds, there logs I do check.
Bringing up another potential topic, should be have a database or something tagged to a cacher's profile where cache owners can rank/rate/review a cacher... hmmmmmmmmm

I act quite differently out in the "field" than I do in the forums. I'm not sure I like that idea :laughing::laughing:

I have quite the opposite problem, I logged a DNF on a cache. THe owner took issue with my logging DNF as she felt I didn't give it enough effort and she didn't like the DNF posted. I DNF'd 3 of her caches that day. The first one because I am an idiot and couldn't find a magnetic container on a guard rail, even though 3 other people did find it.

The second was because the cache was missing and 3 or 4 people dnf'd.

The last one ( the one she took issue with) was listed as a "Grab and Go" and had "available in winter" as an attribute. As I have been told by experienced cachers, the snowflake icon really means "winter friendly".

The day I went hunting this there was 12" of fresh snow. Though the cache was only 80 metres from the parking and, according to the instructions, you had to cross creek by following a trail to a crossing point. After wading the snow for 150 metres I still had not found the creek crossing. As I was only prepared for "Grab & goes" that day I gave up before actully reaching ground zero. My point in posting at all was to point out that this cache was not as "winter friendly" as I thought it was going to be.

She Emailed me and asked why I had logged a dnf. I replied with the reasoning. Then she deleted my post with no warning. What is happening when we can't even log a DNF without controversy?

From the wording of what you posted, rude is questionable. It was certainly not friendly either.

Presumptuous, yes, it was that because you presumed you knew something that might not be so.

Like InfiniteMPG, I have also had good luck with asking visitors to my caches to change their find logs.

But then again, I believe that you get more flies with honey than with vinegar.

I send a friendly email, and wait an appropriate time (at least a week) for a response.

Being pleasant and patient can go a long way when interacting with others.

One time I incorrectly selected "Found It" and then wrote a DNF log. I noticed the mistake when I reviewed the logs I just made and then went back and corrected my error.

I then checked my email and there was a very polite inquiry about why I had marked it found and then described how I couldn't find it. I emailed back that the error was already fixed. I appreciated the polite question, and we solved our little problem and went on with our lives. Cache owner doing his/her job; cacher correctly logging his experience. No angst needed.

If you want that... try terracaching...

I personally would not like geocaching to get anything like terracaching... :wub::anibad::ph34r:

The last one ( the one she took issue with) was listed as a "Grab and Go" and had "available in winter" as an attribute. As I have been told by experienced cachers, the snowflake icon really means "winter friendly".

The day I went hunting this there was 12" of fresh snow. Though the cache was only 80 metres from the parking and, according to the instructions, you had to cross creek by following a trail to a crossing point. After wading the snow for 150 metres I still had not found the creek crossing. As I was only prepared for "Grab & goes" that day I gave up before actully reaching ground zero. My point in posting at all was to point out that this cache was not as "winter friendly" as I thought it was going to be.

She Emailed me and asked why I had logged a dnf. I replied with the reasoning. Then she deleted my post with no warning. What is happening when we can't even log a DNF without controversy?

If you followed the recent "What Counts as a DNF?" thread you saw that there is a difference of opinion among people as to what should be called a DNF. I take the stance that unless I make it to GZ and look around seriously, then I don't count it as a DNF, though I might post it in the log as a Note.

Doesn't sound like they were experienced cache owners as I don't think any owner would appreciate any of those claims or actions. We have had caches in parks that the last log entry was something like :

"The cache was located too far off the trail so we moved it to a more cacher friendly location".

HUH?????????? And we're supposed to follow this and find it? PUH-lease.... :anibad:

The cacher that put down his own cache had over 5,000 finds at the time

that person also has a large number if hides, as do the others.

This is one reason I do not put a lot of credibilty into ultra high find numbers. One freind of mine is so fed with some of the practices we have seen he will no longer go to any events

Edited by JohnnyVegas

Generally speaking, the shorter your message, the more you leave to the imagination of the recipient, as that person must fill in the blanks with assumptions. If they have a generally negative outlook on humanity, then they may be likely to understand your message in a darker light, whenever you fail to make your point clear, assuming you didn't actually intend to be rude. I am not suggesting that we drown people in words.

Also, politeness always takes effort. Colloquial internet speak may be quicker to type, but it lacks the clarity needed if one really wishes to convey politeness.

Give people a chance to correct their own mistakes first. It's the least you can do. I think that if you deleted my log as quickly as you told me that I made a mistake, then I would not eagerly seek your caches again.

Generally speaking, the shorter your message, the more you leave to the imagination of the recipient, as that person must fill in the blanks with assumptions. If they have a generally negative outlook on humanity, then they may be likely to understand your message in a darker light, whenever you fail to make your point clear, assuming you didn't actually intend to be rude. I am not suggesting that we drown people in words.

Also, politeness always takes effort. Colloquial internet speak may be quicker to type, but it lacks the clarity needed if one really wishes to convey politeness.

Give people a chance to correct their own mistakes first. It's the least you can do. I think that if you deleted my log as quickly as you told me that I made a mistake, then I would not eagerly seek your caches again.

Many things depend on context; like what constitutes a pegleg or not. :anibad: