Is there an etiquette that says you can't cash w/out a GPS?

TWGeogang

We can't afford a GPS yet as we are on a tight budget because we are adopting a baby. I've tried to learn triangulation like they did in the old days when there was only letterboxing, but found that it was too difficult. My brother took some courses at a Maritime institute and he said there are 3 different types of mapping and that it would take a lot of studying to learn. Soooooo....I've been using the Google maps.

Am I cheating???? :ph34r:

We can't afford a GPS yet as we are on a tight budget because we are adopting a baby. I've tried to learn triangulation like they did in the old days when there was only letterboxing, but found that it was too difficult. My brother took some courses at a Maritime institute and he said there are 3 different types of mapping and that it would take a lot of studying to learn. Soooooo....I've been using the Google maps.

You are welcome to try finding caches without a GPS unit, but you will not be playing the same game as the rest of us.

What is Geocaching?

Geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for gps users. Participating in a cache hunt is a good way to take advantage of the wonderful features and capability of a gps unit. The basic idea is to have individuals and organizations set up caches all over the world and share the locations of these caches on the internet. GPS users can then use the location coordinates to find the caches. Once found, a cache may provide the visitor with a wide variety of rewards. All the visitor is asked to do is if they get something they should try to leave something for the cache.

You are welcome to try finding caches without a GPS unit, but you will not be playing the same game as the rest of us.

But don't worry about it. Finding the cache, logging it - and your DNFs - are what count. There are several very experienced cachers that don't use a GPS.

Where you run in to a problem is if you are HIDING a cache. You need to insure correct coordinates are used and they are often difficult to get without a GPS.

Cache on, good luck with parenting, and I hope you are soon able to afford that GPS.

I know I've seen a couple people post how they have found hundreds of caches without a GPSr. Sooner or later they will find this thread and post in here or you can try searching the forums a bit harder for their posts. They have given some good tips and so on. For example, certain mapping sites are more accurate than others. You want a good satellite photo with precise cache cooridinates so you can find the cache when you get there. Urbans, public park, and strip mall style caches might be easier at first. Finding a cache in the middle of the woods will be nearly impossible without a GPSr unless the description nearly gives away the location, something like "cache is under that large rock, bigger than any other rock in this forest". So all you have to do now is get within sight of that rock. Most descriptions won't spill the beans like that though.

I have a colleague who has found all of his without a GPS so far...he zooms down on the Google maps and gets the general idea. This is OK for caches that have distinctive landmarks.

I bought my kids Geko 201 handhelds from a place called www.edgegps.com (no affilitation). They were $49 at the time, but are now $55.

They are pretty basic, but I have found all of my caches so far with a Geko 101 (the model below the 201).

Here is the webpage:

http://www.edgegps.com/eCart/viewItem.html?idProduct=104

Good luck!

I have a cacher in my area, EdScott, who has found hundreds of caches in public areas and in the woods withnothing more than a map and compass. He uses topographical maps for the woods. Its a challenge, but a skill you can learn.

As far as I am concerned if you can find a cache with or without a GPS you are Geocaching.

I read somewhere that someone had found 1000 caches without a GPSr, so I decided to leave my 1942 Philco Problematic GPSr behind and give it a try. I'd download the coords, get to a parking lot nearby and orienteer my way in.

It can be done (and frankly it's a fun challenge for about 20 caches), but it's a whole lot easier with a GPSr.

I never cared much to be a follower. Thanks for taking me off the hook from the rest of you. :):):ph34r:

Mae Li, you'll find it fairly easy to find some caches without GPS. However, it will be nearly impossible to find some of the best ones without a GPS.

GO FOR IT! :)

The last 4 traditional caches I found were without a GPS and I found all 4 in about 15 minutes.

dude if you can find caches sans GPS then you are awesome. more power to you

Awesomeness confirmed. :):):laughing::laughing:

Edited by Snoogans

I always find this topic interesting. No, I don't think that you are cheating. I often wonder what specific search tactics people, especially noobies, use after they get near the location. I mean, the google maps only provide just so much detail resolution. I'd think that there's hardly enough to allow you to just walk directly to the cache location.

What are some of the techniques that you have been using?

What is Geocaching?

Geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for gps users. Participating in a cache hunt is a good way to take advantage of the wonderful features and capability of a gps unit. The basic idea is to have individuals and organizations set up caches all over the world and share the locations of these caches on the internet. GPS users can then use the location coordinates to find the caches. Once found, a cache may provide the visitor with a wide variety of rewards. All the visitor is asked to do is if they get something they should try to leave something for the cache.

Huh...

From the same FAQ you quoted:

Are there any variations in the game?

YES! We strongly encourage it, actually. Geocaching is a game that constantly reinvents itself, and the rules are very flexible...

Sounds to me like you can play almost any way you want. Now, who's playing the game "wrong"?

Cheating, nope not at all. Heck, I usually put mine in my pocket once it tells me I'm within 30' of the cache anyway and just use the force. If that doesn't work, I look really hard, and then resort to the scorched earth method. (j/k)

So if you can get yourself within 50' of the location with other tools, you should be able to find plenty of caches.

Edited by wimseyguy

I sometimes try to hunt a geocache without using my GPS for the challenge... Or if I want to try for a FTF and forgot to bring my GPS. I'll call my wife, have her enter it into google earth and have her tell me what the location looks like from the sat perspective. It's ALOT of fun and quite challenging.

FTF - NO GPS :blink:

Cheating, nope not at all. Heck, I usually put mine in my pocket once it tells me I'm within 30' of the cache anyway and just use the force. If that doesn't work, I look really hard, and then resort to the scorched earth method. (j/k)

So if you can get yourself within 50' of the location with other tools, you should be able to find plenty of caches.

What is "the scorched earth method"?

Destroy everything around the area you are searching until the cache is found. It easier if you pick a spot well away from GZ to pile debris so you don't accidentally bury the cache (I hate having to move stuff more than once). For one example see my FTF log here.

Am I cheating???? :blink:

I will have to admit I was one of these people. I got 30 finds in before I had a GPS. I just used microsoft mappoint to locate the cache. I still do sometimes when I don't know the area but now I have an eXplorest 500LE

Am I cheating???? :blink:

Nope, In fact I bet you'd like some help on how find caches with just a map. (and maybe a compass)

Wouldn't mind learning how myself.

:D

What is Geocaching?

Edited by Mae Li

dude if you can find caches sans GPS then you are awesome. more power to you

I found two in one day without a gps.

The first one I just looked at the map on the cache page. I didn't even have to click on it. took about 3 min. to find.

The second one was a premium member only cache. All I had to go on was the name of the cache and who hid it. I ran out of flashlight power on the first try. I went back to it the next day after finding the aforementioned cache and found it after it got dark, but before my flashlight died this time.

Destroy everything around the area you are searching until the cache is found. It easier if you pick a spot well away from GZ to pile debris so you don't accidentally bury the cache (I hate having to move stuff more than once). For one example see my FTF log here.

That sounds like a ton of fun. I'll have to try that sometime.

There's really something to be said about using a simple map and compass to find a geocache: pure, simple, and eloquent.

Finding caches using a map and compass will make you a much more proficient GPSer once you make the jump.

Last year, the Scouts did a test. First, we had them locate their whereabouts on a 1:24,000 USGS topographic map using nothing but a compass and field observations. After just a few minutes of triangulation, they marked the spot on the map. Next, we pulled out a GPS as a cross reference, and basically the two points agreed within mere feet. Together, the two points let us know that we were pretty sure of where we were located within the accuracy of what we needed to do, and that was to navigate to camp! After that exercise, the big question was, "Which was more accurate?" I'm still not convinced that the orienteering solution was not the most accurate solution for placing our location on the map!

If you are lucky with a location. Just a few miles east of me, here's what I get in Google Earth or Google Maps.

Not very useful..... :ph34r:

+41° 14' 4.98", -80° 31' 8.52" (41.234717, -80.519033)

hahaha...our new house is just inside of that Blurry section around Rt60...it does suck.

I have found a few "easy" ones w/o a gpsr just b/c it wouldn't be a challenge using the gps...It can be done, and like others said, people do it all the time...no worries...

......... Finding a cache in the middle of the woods will be nearly impossible without a GPSr unless the description nearly gives away the location, something like "cache is under that large rock, bigger than any other rock in this forest". So all you have to do now is get within sight of that rock. Most descriptions won't spill the beans like that though.

Not true if you are able to read the satellite image. Some can do it better than others :ph34r:

i found my first cache without a gps, i didnt have one, but i couldnt wait to start after i found out about this world, luckily the one i was looking for was somewhere in a square, bordered by two rivers a mill and construction, knowing that it wasnt affected by the construction i was not leaving that square of bushes untill i found it! armed with the clue that it was in a large stump (which turns out to have decomposed by now) i walked by it about 3 times before i 'found' it, even still i did it accidentally. i saw a piece of dirty green fabric under a piece of bark, and just picked it up to see what it was, and it happened to be a camo bag with the cache inside! definately more of a challenge but perfectly acceptable

Another example is my DNF log for Super Secret Spy Stuff.

My very first FTF, the GPSr was more of a hindrance than a help. The hider had accidentally transposed the last two digits of the latitude, and as a result the cache was about 100' from the posted coordinates. Several cachers had understandably failed to find it. On my third attempt, I found it based on the description and the hint (which I had helpfully left at home on the first two attempts). Thus for this find I used ordinary searching skills far more than the GPSr -- of necessity.

Note that many offset caches and perhaps most letterbox hybrids force you to depend on more traditional searching skills, with the coordinates only getting you started. For many of these, you can do just as well without the GPSr. Same with some puzzle caches, though in many cases the result of solving a puzzle is coordinates which you then use as with a traditional cache. Note that modern offset caches are a subset of multicaches but that older traditional caches are sometimes offset caches.

Edward