No ballpoint pens in caches?

TheVaultrons

Pencils work much better when the temperature is below 0 degrees F. Several of my caches were more than 15 degrees below zero this week. I'm sure if there was a pen in any of them, it would not write.

If you want to sign logs in ink carry your own pen in an inside pocket. Heat in warm climates can do bad things to pens in caches as well. If the weather is very cold, keep your GPSr in an inside pocket to keep the batteries warmer until closer to the cache you are looking for.

I don't think this is any kind of rule but:

Ballpoint pens may leak and make a mess of the cache.

They may freeze and not work at all.

If the cache log gets wet and a ball point pen has been used to sign the log the running ink can make the rest of the logbook unreadable.

A pencil works great usually.

A fine tipped marker can also work very well.

I think it depends on were you are, I have never seen a rule re. pens

But if you are in area the gets cold enough I guess they could freeze, then again a pencil point could break. I always carry my one pen of pencil.

Besides were I am you are lucky the find a cache with room or a pen of pencil. Most cache pages in the Sacramento area will say to bring a pen or pencil

Any ball-point pens in caches around here (Massachusetts) are frozen solid right now :)

We usually leave a gel-pen and a pencil in our caches.

Not as cold here but some very small caches so a 'stubby' pencil is usually there. I carry my own pencil and stuff and such.

Along the same lines:

I have heard that the little give-a-way 'Swiss Army Knife' type things I have is a 'no no' to leave as a gift? In BSA caches?

Any truth to that?

Along the same lines:

I have heard that the little give-a-way 'Swiss Army Knife' type things I have is a 'no no' to leave as a gift? In BSA caches?

Any truth to that?

Unfortunately yes, knives of any type are not allowed.

You know and I know (and any sensible person knows) that a little pocket knife is no more dangerous a weapon than a screwdriver or a fine-point pen. But there is a good reason for not allowing them: land managers who know little or nothing about geocaching and who are trying to find out about it when be approached to approve caches in their areas, are likely to get spooked if they hear that caches might contain knives. "What? You want to put a box of weapons out there in the woods, just off of the highway where some prisoners might be doing work-release roadside cleanup? No way!"

Better to avoid the issue at all by not putting any type of knives in there.

(Boy Scouts probably already have their own, anyway :smile: )

It isnt a ruling more of a suggestion........ this is from the "Hiding a cache page"

Step 2 - Preparing Your Cache

First, you need a container. Anything water resistant, snow resistant, etc (depending on your climate), will do, but geocachers have had good success with plastic buckets, tupperware (or rubbermaid) containers, ammo boxes, or unused sewer pipes (really!). You'll also want to invest in some zip-loc baggies to put the items into in case your container leaks.

Whatever the container, make sure to mark your cache so that someone who doesn't play can figure out what it is. Most folks mark the container with Geocaching.com, the name of the cache, and any contact information they feel is necessary. More info is better than less.

Next, you'll need a logbook and a pen. A small spiral notebook does the trick. Make sure to put a pen in the cache as well! The author always forgets to bring one when searching for a cache.

(If you are an an area where the temperature dips below freezing, make sure to bring a soft lead pencil to place in the cache. Pens tend to freeze and are rendered useless :smile: .............

Any ball-point pens in caches around here (Massachusetts) are frozen solid right now :smile:

Would a gel pen hold up better than a regular ballpoint? The reason I ask is that Mr. Vaultron and I bought a bunch of small gel pens thinking they would make good swag. But then I read on a local geocaching organization's website that ballpoint pens are discouraged. It's not like the pens broke the bank, but it would be a shame if we couldn't use them.

Edited by TheVaultrons

Any ball-point pens in caches around here (Massachusetts) are frozen solid right now :smile:

Would a gel pen hold up better than a regular ballpoint? The reason I ask is that Mr. Vaultron and I bought a bunch of small gel pens thinking they would make good swag. But then I read on a local geocaching organization's website that ballpoint pens are discouraged. It's not like the pens broke the bank, but it would be a shame if we couldn't use them.

"Where did you read that?", eh?

I carry one of those Dr. something pens I think it is called - I got it at Walmart or Staples or someplace like that. It is a three tipped pen with a ball point, mechanical pencil, and PDA stylus tip, that come out of the tip one by one depending on which way you rotate the top of the pen. It is very handy for signing logs, no matter what the circumstance, and then rotating to use as an easy to hold stylus on my PDA to access the cachemate info. I started off carrying a pencil and a little sharpener, but then I found this in my desk and figured it would be perfect since it had all three things I might need for writing.

I also got a hard aluminum case for my Palm, and use that to write on when the logsheets are tiny and have no backing - very handy. When I only carried pencil, there were many times I tried the pens in the caches, but they did not write due to the temperature. I guess depending on your climate, pens could either be fine or worthless most of the year.

EDITED TO ADD PEN NAME: Sanford PhD Multi

Edited by kraushad

They can leak but remote chance of that if they were in good shape when left. Could freeze and be unuseable in the winter but a backup pencil cures that.

I use the Uniball Powertank Pens in my caches - write upside down, in temperatures down to -30F and on really wet paper. Go for about $2 each.

Pens should be OK as swag. Even if they get too cold to use at the cache, once someone takes them and thaws them out, I think they should be fine.

Fine tipped markers (Sharpie f'rinstance) should not be used on most logs. They seep through to the other side hence, take up twice the space or obliterate somebody else's signature.

We've got a hider in these parts who will hide JUST a log. It's a magnetic sheet with a writeable surface on one side. Truly evil the first time I found one. Markers are ok on that and you can emphasize the swear words really well.

Gel pens can seep through on a wet log, but not so much...

I don't think this is any kind of rule but:

Ballpoint pens may leak and make a mess of the cache.

They may freeze and not work at all.

If the cache log gets wet and a ball point pen has been used to sign the log the running ink can make the rest of the logbook unreadable.

A pencil works great usually.

A fine tipped marker can also work very well.

I live in the south and have nevers seen a problem with a leaky ballpoint, though I concede that it could be a problem.

I have cached in the north in winter and could not use the pen in the cache. Thickening of the ink in winter, or freeze-up pf the ball in an old pen in damp conditions could be a problem.

The cheaper ball point pens use an oil based ink that will write on a damp log. I love Pilot fine point pens, but the ink will run when wet and the sharp point could be a problem for a damp log.

If you use a fine tip marker, make sure that it does not use water based ink. If the log gets damp, the writing could run.

All that said, I prefer to find ball point pen in a cache to a pencil (often broken and I don't have a knife when traveling on business).

Edited by tokencollector

My wife actually has a theme pen cache here in PHX. No problem in the winter. We'll see what happens to these pens in 110+ weather (maybe more INSIDE the cache).

But then I read on a local geocaching organization's website that ballpoint pens are discouraged.

Is it discouraged as SWAG? If so, what is the reasoning?

We always have a pencil/pen and our pocket knives (for sharpening pencils if needed) with us. We don't assume there will be a writing stick in a cache. It just makes sense to bring your own in case. There is no problem here in NZ to carry your own small pocket knife all the time - I guess it might be different in the States though??? How much space does a small pencil and pencil sharpener of pocket knife take up in a pocket - not much. So why not bring your own.

As for pens in caches - mostly they don't work when you get to them any way. I think here because we are in a 'rainforest' area so the pens get damp and stop working.

Annie

Any ball-point pens in caches around here (Massachusetts) are frozen solid right now :laughing:

Gel Pens write better on wet logs than regular pens. I have never tried them in the cold. The ink still runs when the log gets wet.

I have the PHD Sanford Multi Pen that I like. I also have a Fisher Space pen. It is supposed to work in all sorts of extreme conditions. I haven't tested it yet. I have used it in normal situations. Fisher claims that you can use the pen in freezing temperatures, upside down, and underwater; just like the astronauts. We'll see... :) I haven't found a situation where I was writing under water. :laughing: Right now the pen is in my car and has been through some freezing temperatures.

As noted above, a pen will most likely be pretty useless when it gets pretty cold. Irregardless, I almost always have a pen and/or pencil on me, a habit I've picked up from work.

I don't think there's much risk of a pen leaking in a cache. They get rotated pretty well. How often do you inadvertently take the pen with you after signing the log? I know I've done it many times, and I'm sure most people here have, as well.

I once found an ammo can cache in NH in the middle of the winter. It had been left open and had filled with a little more than half-way with water. The water froze.

The ball-point pen was absolutely useless...

but then, so was the pencil, log book, and everything else frozen in that block of ice ;) ;)

I think a lot of the issues around pens are climate related. Around here freezing is the big issue, although we had one cache near my office which one day after publishing had all of the contents ruined because the pen inside exploded.

I normally leave a pencil and a sharpener in my hides now.