My pet hate

This is a pet hate of mine and I expect I am going to stir up a can of worms here and get well and truly flamed, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I would appreciate a friendly discussion.

So, can someone please give me a legitimate reason why anyone would want to put photos of their dogs on cache pages when they have no relevance whatsoever to the cache? Simply put, I'm not interested!

This is a pet hate of mine and I expect I am going to stir up a can of worms here and get well and truly flamed, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I would appreciate a friendly discussion.

So, can someone please give me a legitimate reason why anyone would want to put photos of their dogs on cache pages when they have no relevance whatsoever to the cache? Simply put, I'm not interested!

Good question.

I have one for you also.

What's this?

9dffe038-b701-44a5-a109-808f18b001b9.jpg

Pictures of dogs? Not my thing but nothing that bother's me. Barking dogs? DEATH, DEATH, DEATH!!!!!

I recently had a dog lunge at me in a threatening manner while I was caching. The owners were right there and didn't seem to concerned that their dog was acting that way. Stupid people who own dogs really get to me. Dogs can be trained...........

I recently had a dog lunge at me in a threatening manner while I was caching. The owners were right there and didn't seem to concerned that their dog was acting that way. Stupid people who own dogs really get to me. Dogs can be trained...........

Yes, but their stupid owners can't.

The owners were right there and didn't seem to concerned

And they always say something like "don't worry, she never bites", that I never find as reassuring as it's supposed to be.

So for the original poster, here's a picture (assuming I don't screw up the link) of the world's cutest kitty, who wishes he could come caching with us but carsickness precludes it. But he's always glad to see us when we come home, and poses willingly with TBs.

cutekitty.jpg

I know this is going to surprise you, but my logs are not designed for your pleasure only. There are a great many of us that love dogs, and love to see other's dogs.

As for what the dogs have to do with caching, my dogs are one of the main reasons I cache. When I can I look for caches they can go on, and they go with me as often as possible.

It is hard for those that don't like pets to understand those of us who do. But the very fact that you call it a "Pet Hate" and not a pet peeve is quite telling. Why would anyone hate something as benign as a picture, if it has nothing to do with them. :(

Any picture with a log is better than no picture with a log.

PS

94b2cc3e-ad82-4b12-a2ee-998cc84fa74b.jpg

I cache with my dog...she's really good at finding things and she often distracts the muggles for me. They're so busy asking about her that they don't think to ask what I'm doing. And I'd much rather take pictures of her at a cache than trying to take a self-portrait. :( I'd take my cat, but he wouldn't go outside if you left the door open for 3 days...I have enough geostripes of my own, don't need the ones the cat would add!

Dog + Jeep + geocaching = :blink:

100_0612.jpg

Who?? ME??

To most dog owners the dog is family. To them there is no difference between snapping a photo of their beloved pet and snapping a photo of their children and posting it in their log. We don't think twice, and never did I think I could possibly be offending anyone by doing either of the forementioned. Besides, sometimes our dogs are better than our kids. At least old Oliver (above) didn't run up a 806 dollar phone bill by texting 'till the phone smoked. :(

Are you talking about pix in the logs? A lot of people do cache with their dog, I know I do. I dont see why it would bother you. People post all kinds of pix in logs, the cache container, local scenery, kids, and themselves just to name a few. I have a cache listing with a pic of my dogs on it, but it relates to the cache. It is placed at a dog park.

I guess what really stumps me is why it bothers you?

Are you talking about pix in the logs? A lot of people do cache with their dog, I know I do. I dont see why it would bother you. People post all kinds of pix in logs, the cache container, local scenery, kids, and themselves just to name a few. I have a cache listing with a pic of my dogs on it, but it relates to the cache. It is placed at a dog park.

I guess what really stumps me is why it bothers you?

ditto. i don't have a dog, and don't want a dog, but still, i can't imagine getting that riled up about someone's dog pictures that i would post about it let alone say i hate it.

"I'm a dog lover. Actually, I love my dog. I don't care about your dog. I don't even know your dog. Your dog could be a jerk."

-Ron White

If the picture really has nothing to do with the cache, that would certainly be odd. Not as odd as an out-of-the-blue post about hating pictures of dogs, but, ya' know, weird nonetheless. Personally, we prefer our geokitty, but unlike the OP we take a to-each-his-own attitude to caching.

Maybe the dog made the trade? "Took: trinket, Left: You're better-off not knowing."

Pictures of dogs? Not my thing but nothing that bother's me. Barking dogs? DEATH, DEATH, DEATH!!!!!

Cross Over The Bridge was a cache that got archived because of a barking dog (and its owner) that wouldn't mind its own business. That still ticks me off.

The only legitimate reason I can think of is that the dog was out caching with them. Just like posting pictures of kids out caching.

Anyone who hates children and animals can't be all bad. - W. C. Fields

I know that the dog cachers sometimes post photos of their humans. So why not let human cachers post photos of their dogs? Seems fair to me.... :surprise:

My dog hikes and caches with me all the time. I appreciate that she makes me feel more safe when I'm hiking alone. She's warned me of bears and snakes several times. Although she gets bored and cranky when I stop to sign a cache log I sometimes take her picture for the log simply because she was with me and helped make the whole experience a better one (note that it's not just a dog fetish, I also take one of my son if he is with me because he makes me feel safe too)!

Because their cat isn't interested in going caching? :(

Hey, I took my cat geocaching a few times :surprise:.

But I agree TO AN EXTENT with the original poster. If it's a pic of them with their dog at the cache, or a pic of them geocaching (like holding a GPS while walking, you get the idea)... then it's fine.

But I've seen some pics where it's just... their dog... taken in their house, or inside the car window, or just looking 'cute' at some random, unrelated location. That's kinda weird... since it's like going to an anime convention and trying to gather people to talk about the new dome that will eventually be covering Reactor #4 at Chernobyl. It's just... completely and utterly unrelated, and just gets weird looks.

Along the same lines is people who show you their baby pictures for no reason. Noone cares but them... :D

Because their cat isn't interested in going caching? :surprise:

Hey, I took my cat geocaching a few times :(.

But I agree TO AN EXTENT with the original poster. If it's a pic of them with their dog at the cache, or a pic of them geocaching (like holding a GPS while walking, you get the idea)... then it's fine.

But I've seen some pics where it's just... their dog... taken in their house, or inside the car window, or just looking 'cute' at some random, unrelated location. That's kinda weird... since it's like going to an anime convention and trying to gather people to talk about the new dome that will eventually be covering Reactor #4 at Chernobyl. It's just... completely and utterly unrelated, and just gets weird looks.

Along the same lines is people who show you their baby pictures for no reason. Noone cares but them... :D

Exactly. Thank you Kabuthunk. That was what I was trying to say, but you have put it more politely. :D

Wow! Wow! Let's see; if it's not micros, LUMPS or whatever sinks your boat it's discrimination against us! I say GeoDogs UNITE, we can't have cat icon users even remotely trying to put us down.

On the serious side, some people enjoy their dogs almost as much as we enjoy our Humans, if we are invited along for the caching experience, so be it. I do believe the whole point of the game is to have fun, whether for us or for our human counterparts. I would guess if the photo is unrelated to the cache a simple request to remove it might unclutter the cache page?