Moun10Like coin goes on sale

JJG10101

Allanon, follow the links. The OP does state that Moun10Bike not only knows about it but provided input. :(

Although given the sensitive nature of this coin, it would be wise to state that up front. The OP may want to consider adding that to the post.

Sorry for the over reaction and the "noodly 'thwap'" FSM...I admit I didn't follow the links.

I'll crawl back under my rock now and wait the your coin to go on sale... :unsure:

My goof. I should've stated up front (in the initial post) that *I'm* selling the coin, NOT Moun10Bike. The purpose of this coin is to recognize and thank Jon for starting the geocoin category. And yes, Jon is fully aware and gave his support to the idea. It's a tribute coin, nothing more, nothing less. I fully accept that some will like the idea, others won't. Life would be pretty bland if we all liked the same thing. ;-)

Edited by JJG10101

I would only feel good about this one if it was being sold at cost. That won't stop me from buying one though, if it has a unique icon. I didn't see that specified anywhere.

--Marky

Another goof on my part: yes, the icon is unique. As for selling the coin at cost, actually.. that's not a bad idea. I might consider how to make that work.

The purpose of this coin is to recognize and thank Jon for starting the geocoin category. And yes, Jon is fully aware and gave his support to the idea. It's a tribute coin, nothing more, nothing less. I fully accept that some will like the idea, others won't. Life would be pretty bland if we all liked the same thing. ;-)

Indeed. My tribute to Moun10Bike and the geocoin craze was starting the 6th Anniversary of Geocoins Secret Mission (plug plug :unsure: ). I didn't receive permission/support from Jon to do it though :(:P

Boy its like an idea you have...but is supposed to stay just an idea!!! Probably a good thing you went ahead with it instead of asking opinions. But geeze man...this one leaves ya not sure what to think!!!

I think I will get one, cause I doubt if we will ever see a Moun10LikeLike! :(:P:P

And I thought I was crazy!!! :unsure::P

Edit to add: I am crazy...I got 3 of em!!! and im supposed to be slowin down abit...Sheesh!

Edited by 007BigD
Another goof on my part: yes, the icon is unique. As for selling the coin at cost, actually.. that's not a bad idea. I might consider how to make that work.

Will those of us who've already paid at the current price be getting some sort of rebate: i.e., refund the difference, MountainLike pins, etc ... ?

I would only feel good about this one if it was being sold at cost. That won't stop me from buying one though, if it has a unique icon.

--Marky

And this would be why projects like this happen. People may not feel "good" about what's going on, but they continue to support it with their wallets....

While I certainly like the idea of a tribute coin to moun10bike, I don't like someone profiting from it at all. I hope you reconsider and sell them at cost, otherwise it just seems like taking advantage of an icon if you will.

I would only feel good about this one if it was being sold at cost. That won't stop me from buying one though, if it has a unique icon.

--Marky

And this would be why projects like this happen. People may not feel "good" about what's going on, but they continue to support it with their wallets....

While I certainly like the idea of a tribute coin to moun10bike, I don't like someone profiting from it at all. I hope you reconsider and sell them at cost, otherwise it just seems like taking advantage of an icon if you will.

Ditto. I'll be passing.

I appreciate the various comments, I truly do. Some people have great suggestions, and I value their passion and conviction. To answer a few questions: Yes, the coin is trackable with a unique icon. No, I don't have any photos of the real thing yet. Yes, it is a tribute/parody coin. No, I didn't create this coin with intention of making a profit.

As for selling the coin at cost: that's not a bad idea. There's a few ways I might accomplish that.

1) Donate all proceeds (after expenses) to a charity of my choosing.

2) Donate all proceeds (after expenses) to a charity of Moun10Bike's choosing.

3) Donate all proceeds (after expenses) to a charity selected by cachers posting to this thread. Hang on, that's probably not a good idea. ;-)

There's probably other ways to (effectively) sell the coin at cost. I'll reflect on that for a bit. I wonder about something, though. Just because *I* sell the coin at cost doesn't mean buyers won't put theirs up for sale on eBay. I'd prefer that didn't happen, but it probably will. Such is life.

I like option #2. However, there could be another option. Figure out how many coins need to be sold to break even, and once that point is reached, release the remaining coins in caches for people to keep or keep moving.

After all, that's what Moun10bike did. :P

Great idea. I'll add that one to the list of possibilities. :lol::huh::P

I would only feel good about this one if it was being sold at cost. That won't stop me from buying one though, if it has a unique icon. I didn't see that specified anywhere.

--Marky

It may be too late to do it now, but the easiest way to do it is to get a rough quote from the coin manufacturer for various quantities ordered. Then you need to calculate in paypal feels, shipping materials and postage. Then you would post a thread on the project, taking pre-order interest (but not taking money) giving estimated costs based on how many are ordered. With the pre-orders, you could estimate the total you should order, then give a more accurate amount per coin. Then you would order the correct number of coins to meet the demand and send out paypal invoices to everyone who put in a pre-order. It's a bunch of extra work and you might have to pay for the coins upfront, which is probably one of the reasons most people decide not to do a no profit project.

--Marky

I like the charity idea.

I think it serves a greater good to donate money to an actual charity, which would help those less fortunate, or help fight a disease or even help animals in need, than to donate a bunch of coins to caches so that people who can afford to cache can move them around.

I like the charity idea.

I think it serves a greater good to donate money to an actual charity, which would help those less fortunate, or help fight a disease or even help animals in need, than to donate a bunch of coins to caches so that people who can afford to cache can move them around.

I'm kinda torn on this one. Obviously charities are a good thing. However, trackable geocoins are meant to travel and the more of them out there the better. I like seeing different icons when I pull up a cache page or do a nearest search. I don't think you could go wrong either way.

--Marky

I like the charity idea.

I'm kinda torn on this one. Obviously charities are a good thing. However, trackable geocoins are meant to travel and the more of them out there the better. I like seeing different icons when I pull up a cache page or do a nearest search. I don't think you could go wrong either way.

--Marky

The possibilities are almost endless, including some combination of the various ideas. I'm also tempted to donate a few to CITO events to see if it might boost the turnout.

Well, how about you and Mount10Bike split the proceeds since he was your inspiration for such a coin. I mean why shoud you profit from "his" creation? Not trying to start a debate but I am a very fair person and that is what I would do. You can't really take someones idea, tweak it and then sell it as your own no matter how you want to word it even with approval... I say Mount10Bike should get half or at least have a say in where half of it goes. It is after all, his idea, his creation and his legacy.

TrsrHuntr

I appreciate the various comments, I truly do. Some people have great suggestions, and I value their passion and conviction. To answer a few questions: Yes, the coin is trackable with a unique icon. No, I don't have any photos of the real thing yet. Yes, it is a tribute/parody coin. No, I didn't create this coin with intention of making a profit.

As for selling the coin at cost: that's not a bad idea. There's a few ways I might accomplish that.

1) Donate all proceeds (after expenses) to a charity of my choosing.

2) Donate all proceeds (after expenses) to a charity of Moun10Bike's choosing.

3) Donate all proceeds (after expenses) to a charity selected by cachers posting to this thread. Hang on, that's probably not a good idea. ;-)

There's probably other ways to (effectively) sell the coin at cost. I'll reflect on that for a bit. I wonder about something, though. Just because *I* sell the coin at cost doesn't mean buyers won't put theirs up for sale on eBay. I'd prefer that didn't happen, but it probably will. Such is life.

:laughing: I'm stunned that he gave his approval, but I would definitely say go with #2 then. :o

hey thanks for bringing this one back up, i had forgot about it.

i ordered a few and have not received them yet, it says ship date mid august, I wonder if they are shipping yet.

I actually shipped the bulk of them *today.* Some of the orders were large (5+ coins), which require slightly different packaging. I'll be shipping those tomorrow morning.

hey thanks for bringing this one back up, i had forgot about it.

i ordered a few and have not received them yet, it says ship date mid august, I wonder if they are shipping yet.

I actually shipped the bulk of them *today.* Some of the orders were large (5+ coins), which require slightly different packaging. I'll be shipping those tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the info

Tried ordering 3 coins, had to join geocoin trading, Think I screwed something up because my listing shows 3 available. Haven't paid for anything yet. Hopefully somebody can help to correct the listing.

Accordiongal

Accordiongal, click the check mark next to your status to change it. Change it to seeking and then in the next window hit the paypal button to purchase.