REVIEWERS

mimi0674

Im a newer premium member subscriber and my favorite thing is placing caches! Me and my girls love filling tupperware containers with things kids would love. I live in Vancouver WA and I dont think there are near enouph regular sized caches here. I like being the cache fairy! So anyway I know theres rules and regulations, but sometimes it seems the reviewers get too picky on places. Its a lot of work AND gas to go back and get a placed cache and relocate it all the time. I understand I need to keep them away from schools and 5hundred and some feet away from other cachers. I guess its just tedious. Just my oponion. :rolleyes:

Groundspeak's volunteer review crew has the power to publish those caches which clearly meet the listing guidelines. They do have some latitude to bend those guidelines here and there (but not everywhere! as in, not around the OFF LIMITS areas, and no commercial solicitation really means NO commercial solicitation, except with Groundspeak approval).

Reading the listing guidelines before placing a cache can save some of the frustration. It's not a long document, though it is pretty information dense.

I have a lot of sympathy for cachers who run into puzzle solutions (especially older puzzles where the bogus coords are more than 2 miles from the cache) and wayward multi cache stages. It can be tough in some cache dense urban areas to find a spot, a nice spot, not just a place where there isn't already a hide, to place yours.

Cache ownership is a lot of fun, and families certainly enjoy those trading caches. Thanks for placing yours; the initial frustration of working through the review process is temporary, and the satisfaction of ownership can last a while.

Reviewers are simply volunteers who devote a lot of time to this sport. They are not "power hungry" or "picky". They simply enforce the guidelines.

It's quite simple. If your cache conforms to the guidelines it will be published. If it doesn't you will encounter difficulties If there is some question, an honest dialog with your reviewer will get it resolved quickly.

One of the reviewers I know in N. Ca. has told me the biggest problem he has had is with cachers that do not read the guidlines for placing a cache. Understanding the guidlines can be very helpfull.

One thing I would recomend doing before hidding a cache, would be to load all the caches in the area were you want to place a cache, then you can be sure you are not to close to another cache.

You may also need to do any Multi-caches and Puzzle-caches on the area so that you are not to close to them.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

I have also found that if you do live in a cache dense area then using a program like "Geocalc " http://www.fizzymagic.net/Geocaching/GeoCalc/GeoCalc.html " where you can input the coordinates to your caches and then a likely other cache and you can see how far it is actually to your cache. Of course this wouldn't work if there was a puzzle or multi cache with coordinates somewhere in between but it would be a good start.

Edited by haffy

I don't think the reviewers are power hungry at all. They're just doing their job. Did I say job? Usually you get paid to do a job but these folks do it because of their love of the game.

I've met a couple of our reviewers at geo-events and they are nice people with some very interesting stories.

At one of the events, I spoke with a reviewer and asked a few general questions about hides and locations in our area. I thought he was going to do the FTF happy dance right there!

He was very pleased that I had asked some questions (especially since he could tell that I had read the guidelines already). Later I overheard him making the comment that he was glad that cachers were willing to speak directly with him and ask some questions before placing a cache.

I will not hesitate to ask him if I have anything that is not clear to me, and I know from his reaction that he won't mind the questions in the least.

I would expect that most of the reviewers would have this same feeling, and it may save you a trip back if you communicate with your reviewer and ask a few quesitons prior to placing your cache.

Caches can also be found prior to their approval, and not always too favorable.

This past weekend I visited a cache and saw the first 2 log entries were made by the Dept. of Forestry in the area. They both noted that they would approve the cache, but also left a stern note that the cache should have been approved prior to placing it as per regulations in the area, with a quote of the regulation.

Good communications with local reviewers always make things go a little more smoothly.

And I have to think that most of them are open to questions and helpful with their advice.

Your mileage may vary. :o

Im a newer premium member subscriber and my favorite thing is placing caches! Me and my girls love filling tupperware containers with things kids would love. I live in Vancouver WA and I dont think there are near enouph regular sized caches here. I like being the cache fairy! So anyway I know theres rules and regulations, but sometimes it seems the reviewers get too picky on places. Its a lot of work AND gas to go back and get a placed cache and relocate it all the time. I understand I need to keep them away from schools and 5hundred and some feet away from other cachers. I guess its just tedious. Just my oponion. :o
If you carefully read the guidelines and follow them your cache hiding/approavals will be an efficient and effective process. There is a box you check when you submit a cache that asks if you've done this. Keep in mind that people that don't do this waste the time of the friendly volunteer reviewers and slow down the process for everyone else waiting to get their caches approved. :(

Im a newer premium member subscriber and my favorite thing is placing caches! Me and my girls love filling tupperware containers with things kids would love. I live in Vancouver WA and I dont think there are near enouph regular sized caches here. I like being the cache fairy! So anyway I know theres rules and regulations, but sometimes it seems the reviewers get too picky on places. Its a lot of work AND gas to go back and get a placed cache and relocate it all the time. I understand I need to keep them away from schools and 5hundred and some feet away from other cachers. I guess its just tedious. Just my oponion. :o

Reviewers are a mixed bag. Just like us cache placers.

Do what you can to make sure your cache meets the guidelines before you place it and your job as a cache owner gets easier.

While some reviewers are a PITA and others are easy to work with, you get what you get and you work with them.

Our local Reviewer is great. I have actually had caches Published within minutes of finally submitting the cache page stating the cache is active.

That said, before going out to place a cache, you must put the coordinates of all the other caches in the area into your GPSr. You have to make sure there are no Puzzle caches, or Multi-cache waypoints, nearby. That means you either have to complete the Multi, and do the Puzzle cache, or run the risk your cache will be too close.

Our local Reviewer is great. I have actually had caches Published within minutes of finally submitting the cache page stating the cache is active.

That said, before going out to place a cache, you must put the coordinates of all the other caches in the area into your GPSr. You have to make sure there are no Puzzle caches, or Multi-cache waypoints, nearby. That means you either have to complete the Multi, and do the Puzzle cache, or run the risk your cache will be too close.

Thanks everybody!!!

Ok so the redundant thing here is READ THE GUIDELINES.

As far as our reviewer,I've never met GPSfun personally but my dealings with him with my cache approval and over in the New England forums have all been with him being helpful.I highly doubt he would ever be 'power hungry' as you rudely phrased it.Reviwers do alot of work for free.If they tell you your cache is a no go then respect that.It's not their first rodeo.

Reviewers are simply volunteers who devote a lot of time to this sport. They are not "power hungry" or "picky". They simply enforce the guidelines.

It's quite simple. If your cache conforms to the guidelines it will be published. If it doesn't you will encounter difficulties If there is some question, an honest dialog with your reviewer will get it resolved quickly.

I have to disagree strongly with you i live in central new york and just recently encountered problems with our nyadmin.(and from what i understand dosnt even live in ny). I placed a cache up a huge hill away from a school and he told me that it was to close to a school to publish. Yet 2 days prior approved a cache that sits between a police station and court house and a month in january approved one not even 30 feet from a secondary school and i know for a fact neither cacher had a letter from ne body to place caches there cause i know both of them so dont say they stick to guidelines. How bout we get admin for one that know the areas and for 2 that actually stick to guidelines. maybe in new york we need to have an admin for every 3 counties at least then they'll know there area not just look at some map.

I have to disagree strongly with you i live in central new york and just recently encountered problems with our nyadmin.(and from what i understand dosnt even live in ny). I placed a cache up a huge hill away from a school and he told me that it was to close to a school to publish. Yet 2 days prior approved a cache that sits between a police station and court house and a month in january approved one not even 30 feet from a secondary school and i know for a fact neither cacher had a letter from ne body to place caches there cause i know both of them so dont say they stick to guidelines. How bout we get admin for one that know the areas and for 2 that actually stick to guidelines. maybe in new york we need to have an admin for every 3 counties at least then they'll know there area not just look at some map.

As you mentioned, often all the reviewers have to go by is a map. What you might perceive as one being unfair could simply be a reviewer not seeing a school or courthouse on the map for one submission and noticing it for another. Maps sometimes are not up to date. If the reviewers do make a mistake they are very happy to have it pointed out to them.

Having a reviewer for each county or a few counties is overkill. If you think there are too many inconsistencies between a few dozen reviewers, imagine how bad it would be if there were a few hundred or a few thousand.

By the way, your understanding about NY Admin couldn't be more wrong. She's probably lived in NY longer than you've been alive.

Edited by briansnat

My (brief) experience has been very positive. They are people, too. If they aren't familiar with the exact area that you are trying to place, all they have to go on is the coordinates and information that you provide on your submission. They compare that to the other caches in the area to determine if yours meets the guidelines.

I have one cache that is being held up due to the multi-cache situation others have referred to. My local reviewer, far from being "power hungry" has actually been quite the opposite. He has been very helpful and informative while we traded notes back and forth. At the end of the day, this cache isn't going to get published because of the location of another cache, but I don't blame the reviewer for that.

Its frustrating to find a good spot for a hide, only to learn that it is too close to another hide. But you can't fault your reviewer for that or personalize it just because you aren't getting your cache placed.

Have you tried contacting a couple of the other caches near yours to see if they were willing to archive or move? Have you scouted to find a different location farther away?

No, actually you encountered a problem with NYCacher, not NYAdmin. If you have a problem with what he's publishing, why not send him an e-mail. I live in PA and published one on school property the other day. It doesn't show up on the maps as a school. I got an e-mail from a local and I archived the cache. No matter how many reviewers there are, things are going to slip through.

Edit to add: I probably wouldn't have published your cache if it were in PA either.

Edited by ODragon

By the way, your understanding about NY Admin couldn't be more wrong. She's probably lived in NY longer than you've been alive.

... or maybe not. Profile says "Retired". :( (Your point is still valid though).

What if NY Admin is in her 90's?

Then that would explain all the mistakes with these cache approvals. :o

[Edit to add smiley for the humor impaired, before I get punished.]

Edited by Tharagleb

Your cache was very close to school property according to my maps, and might have actually been on school property. As I can't personally check out each one, I asked you who managed the property there and if you had permission from whoever owned it. You weren't definitive about permission, so unless I had some sort of permission from the school or whoever owns the property, I couldn't list it there. The cache was about 150 feet from a school building, and at most 20 feet from school grounds. At least according to the maps I have.

I reviewed your cache with other reviewers across the world, and none of them would have published it.

I asked you for information about the other two caches you mentioned, but you never responded. I figured out the one near the police station & court house and I asked the cache owner about that. He voluntarily disabled his cache while we talked, and I was satisfied with the response. I don't know about the other cache near a school you mentioned as you didn't give me details.

I live in NY, so I don't know why you think I don't. While I'm sure you know all the details about every town and county in NY, I'm just not that smart to remember the entire state.

As you mentioned, often all the reviewers have to go by is a map. What you might perceive as one being unfair could simply be a reviewer not seeing a school or courthouse on the map for one submission and noticing it for another. Maps sometimes are not up to date. If the reviewers do make a mistake they are very happy to have it pointed out to them.

Having a reviewer for each county or a few counties is overkill. If you think there are too many inconsistencies between a few dozen reviewers, imagine how bad it would be if there were a few hundred or a few thousand.

Actually it wouldnt be bad if the person knew the area well there would be no "mistakes". they were pointed out and the caches are still running but i dont care about that but dont say they always follow guidelines because no ones perfect. And if you have to refer to a map because you dont know an area well thats exactly why there should be one for maybe every 3 counties that way people who know the area are doing it. Personlly i know oswego cayuga and onadoga counties in new york like the back of my hand so why not have people doing them that know them. If they "arent power hungry they wouldnt mind sharing the responibiltys.

By far the biggest problem people have around here is with proximity. It is very difficult to place caches near mystery or multi caches unless you have actually found them all. Even if you have found them all, if you haven't saved all the waypoints in your GPS or in some notes, or have a great memory and sense of direction, it's very easy to place a cache or waypoint 350 feet from another cache.

I always feel bad when somebody moves their cache that is too close to cache X, and then they are now too close to cache Y. At that point in time, I usually tell somebody maybe you should try another area!

Certainly areas like New York State Parks (require permits) and Wildlife Management Areas (off limits) we aren't picky on - there just isn't any wiggle room there. Other areas across the country also have parks that require permits or are off limits, and not everybody knows all the land rules & regulations.

Your cache was very close to school property according to my maps, and might have actually been on school property. As I can't personally check out each one, I asked you who managed the property there and if you had permission from whoever owned it. You weren't definitive about permission, so unless I had some sort of permission from the school or whoever owns the property, I couldn't list it there. The cache was about 150 feet from a school building, and at most 20 feet from school grounds. At least according to the maps I have.

I reviewed your cache with other reviewers across the world, and none of them would have published it.

I asked you for information about the other two caches you mentioned, but you never responded. I figured out the one near the police station & court house and I asked the cache owner about that. He voluntarily disabled his cache while we talked, and I was satisfied with the response. I don't know about the other cache near a school you mentioned as you didn't give me details.

I live in NY, so I don't know why you think I don't. While I'm sure you know all the details about every town and county in NY, I'm just not that smart to remember the entire state.

First off i live across the street from that school and can tell you for a fact the cache was way up the hill not near the building so i dont know what map your refering to. 2nd didnt say i knew the entire state but do know my county and 2 surronding counties. 3rd i emailed you and said to you it is public property so i dont know where you think i didnt get back to you. And my father sits on common council and gave me permission to place cache ne where in the city i wanted to even gave me a letter to e-mail you but i figure if it takes that much to get something approved thats suppose to be fun why bother i went and placed it in a park way away from ne thing that resembles a school just so it wouldnt be "near". Which nobody still can tell me what near is i guess some can be closer then others. Thought this game was suppose to be fun not run by a bunch of dictaters. Of course thats my opinion and im untitled to it.

it may save you a trip back if you communicate with your reviewer and ask a few quesitons prior to placing your cache.

Very true! When I consider placing a cache, and there's a puzzle or multi nearby that I haven't completed, a kwick note to my reviewer(s) will let me know if my selected area is kosher or not.

Which nobody still can tell me what near is i guess some can be closer then others.

There is no hard rule. What is too close in one area might be fine in another. For example if it's in 200 feet away in a city on a different block with buildings between the cache and the school, it could be OK. On the other hand 500 away in a flat, open rural area might not. Generally if searchers might be observed from the school or school grounds it will not pass muster.

Thought this game was suppose to be fun not run by a bunch of dictaters. Of course thats my opinion and im untitled to it.

The game is fun and the reviewers are nothing more than geocachers who want to give back to the sport. You are "untitled" your own opinions but not entitled to your own facts.

If you follow the guidelines you will not have a problem with the review process. If you try to see what you can get away with, you may have difficulties. Some people place dozens and sometimes hundreds of caches without a single problem with a reviewer. Others have issues all the time because they

see a need to push the envelope.

Edited by briansnat

Which nobody still can tell me what near is i guess some can be closer then others.

There is no hard rule. What is too close in one area might be fine in another. For example if it's in 200 feet away in a city on a different block with buildings between the cache and the school, it could be OK. On the other hand 500 away in a flat, open rural area might not. Generally if searchers might be observed from the school or school grounds it will not pass muster.

Thought this game was suppose to be fun not run by a bunch of dictaters. Of course thats my opinion and im untitled to it.

The game is fun and the reviewers are nothing more than geocachers who want to give back to the sport. You are "untitled" your own opinions but not entitled to your own facts.

If you follow the guidelines you will not have a problem with the review process. If you try to see what you can get away with, you may have difficulties. Some people place dozens and sometimes hundreds of caches without a single problem with a reviewer. Others have issues all the time because they

see a need to push the envelope.

Yeah we "push" the envelope on purpose. Dont think so, why cant they just say dont really know the area could use help from someone who does.

Yeah we "push" the envelope on purpose. Dont think so, why cant they just say dont really know the area could use help from someone who does.

They do. You're supposed to help them by providing any pertinant information when you submit the cache, and if they need more, you need to provide it. How far is 'up a hill'. 50 feet from school property? Three blocks?

And I suppose you think you should be a reviewer for your area since you know it like the back of your hand, and your pappy sits on the town council and you have blanket permission to hide a cache 'ne where' (does anyone else read that as northeast where?)

Actually it wouldnt be bad if the person knew the area well there would be no "mistakes". they were pointed out and the caches are still running but i dont care about that but dont say they always follow guidelines because no ones perfect. And if you have to refer to a map because you dont know an area well thats exactly why there should be one for maybe every 3 counties that way people who know the area are doing it. Personlly i know oswego cayuga and onadoga counties in new york like the back of my hand so why not have people doing them that know them. If they "arent power hungry they wouldnt mind sharing the responibiltys.

Wow! You mean you've NEVER found a geocache and said "Wow! This is a cool place that I never knew about and I probably would have never known about if it wasn't for geocaching!"???

That's so sad.

Really.

Finding new places practically right in my backyard has been one of my greatest joys from geocaching.

If you REALLY know every every square inch of every town, park, open space, land trust, street, greenway, etc for several thousand square miles or more AND who owns/manages every square inch of those square miles, you could probably make a fair amount of money putting that knowledge to use, since you know more then any other person who has ever lived.

They do. You're supposed to help them by providing any pertinant information when you submit the cache, and if they need more, you need to provide it. How far is 'up a hill'. 50 feet from school property? Three blocks?

And I suppose you think you should be a reviewer for your area since you know it like the back of your hand, and your pappy sits on the town council and you have blanket permission to hide a cache 'ne where' (does anyone else read that as northeast where?)

i dont want to be a reviewer never have never will. And did provide them with the information and told them it was public property but they did not listen cause they think there map is the be all end all. My point is why not have several reviewers that know diffrent areas.

Wow! You mean you've NEVER found a geocache and said "Wow! This is a cool place that I never knew about and I probably would have never known about if it wasn't for geocaching!"???

That's so sad.

Really.

Finding new places practically right in my backyard has been one of my greatest joys from geocaching.

If you REALLY know every every square inch of every town, park, open space, land trust, street, greenway, etc for several thousand square miles or more AND who owns/manages every square inch of those square miles, you could probably make a fair amount of money putting that knowledge to use, since you know more then any other person who has ever lived.

[/q

First off the 3 counties arent thousands of miles was making a point that maybe several reviewers would be better way to go that way certain people will know certain areas will make easier when it comes time for questioning.

Personlly i know oswego cayuga and onadoga counties in new york like the back of my hand so why not have people doing them that know them. If they "arent power hungry they wouldnt mind sharing the responibiltys.

First off the 3 counties arent thousands of miles was making a point that maybe several reviewers would be better way to go that way certain people will know certain areas will make easier when it comes time for questioning.

Oswego County, NY: 1,312 square miles

Cayuga County, NY: 864 square miles

Onondaga County, NY: 806 square miles

In case you slept through math class too, that comes to 2,982 square miles that you claim to know every inch of like you know the back of your hand.

Personlly i know oswego cayuga and onadoga counties in new york like the back of my hand so why not have people doing them that know them. If they "arent power hungry they wouldnt mind sharing the responibiltys.

Oswego County, NY: 1,312 square miles

Cayuga County, NY: 864 square miles

Onondaga County, NY: 806 square miles

In case you slept through math class too, that comes to 2,982 square miles that you claim to know every inch of like you know the back of your hand.

Still better then trying to do the whole state with one person isnt Mr. Know it all what you mr new york now know all the mileage. doesnt take long to learn areas youve lived in your whole life there genius.

Still better then trying to do the whole state with one person isnt Mr. Know it all what you mr new york now know all the mileage. doesnt take long to learn areas youve lived in your whole life there genius.

So you've lived there your whole life. That's what? 13yrs? Surely you didnt cover ALL 2,982 square miles (1,908,480 acres) on your paper route?

So you've lived there your whole life. That's what? 13yrs? Surely you didnt cover ALL 2,982 square miles (1,908,480 acres) on your paper route?

Try 32 years genius but being you know it all you should of known