Signature items, what do you leave?

just got the weekly geocache listing in my e-mail and saw the the opening paragraph was about signature items that geocachers leave when they visit caches.

The fun thing about geocaching is it brings so many different kinds of people together and so many different hobbies and skills. TI would think this means that there are a variety of different kinds of signature items out there.

Post pictures or descriptions of your signature item. Help others get ideas and show off you creativity.

Mousetrap

"Catchy" name and it makes a good nametag at events. Just snap it on shirt. Was at an event once when another cacher walks up and says, "You have a mousetrap on your shirt". (Then the light comes on.) "Ooooooooohhh"!!!!

Edited by Mousetrap

Come to Arizona and you just might find one of the Old Watchmakers classic manual-wind watches from yesteryear or maybe something custom from our quartz watch workshop. If the cache box is large enough, a watch or two left behind along with Greetings from the Watchmaker should make your journey a bit more interesting.

Mousetrap

"Catchy" name and it makes a good nametag at events. Just snap it on shirt. Was at an event once when another cacher walks up and says, "You have a mousetrap on your shirt". (Then the light comes on.) "Ooooooooohhh"!!!!

You are leaving a mousetrap in a cache?

Yea, so. It's not loaded or used. He leaves a NEW mousetrap that he signs.

Okay, I think Mousetrap was talking about ME in his post. I did exactly that when I met him. I also got one of his nifty sigs from a cache for my sig item collection.

Sometimes nothing but my signature on the log.

Sometimes

Or This

or more recently These in various colors

OOOoooOOO I liiiiike those. I'll trade ya:

09d1af12-d32e-4a77-a82b-df6ebb76ffba.jpg

78e05ab7-bd43-4c40-9ee5-9490e39b30f6.jpg

3f01fe38-72f4-4b90-b831-bb8c402b15f2.jpg

6ce45174-b892-4689-a74b-d0d4561b17b6.jpg

The name of my business is a play on that backside image: PRESS Your Luck!

That's just what I had in my pocket. I have 10 more designs an 1 different backside image.

I may try for a 13th coin using the 2 backside images.

Edited by Snoogans
Mine is simple, homemade, unique, but above all, cheap. :angry:

I took a used Kentucky Aeronautical chart, cut it into cards, and wrote my handle on it with a blue marker. Some of them have the highlighter lines where I planned flights.

amprcard9ll.jpg

I think that's a neat idea. :angry:

just got the weekly geocache listing in my e-mail and saw the the opening paragraph was about signature items that geocachers leave when they visit caches.

The fun thing about geocaching is it brings so many different kinds of people together and so many different hobbies and skills. TI would think this means that there are a variety of different kinds of signature items out there.

Post pictures or descriptions of your signature item. Help others get ideas and show off you creativity.

Some simple plastic poker chip tokens that are made with the poker chip and water proof/resistant labels:

P6230005.jpg

FRONTS

P6230006.jpg

BACKS

These are for my K9 cacher Piglit9, Myself, My Son, and Piglit9 again.

hand-pounded pennies with "flask" engraved on one side

my cd

bootleg cds (my own music or stories. they are bootlegs because they are recordings not intended for release)

photo dvds (my geocaching photos acompanied by my music)

around christmas i put out the flask christmas album, which i leave as gifts rather than trades. i also leave these in stores and at work and church and bus stops... people seem to like them.

my cd

bootleg cds (my own music or stories. they are bootlegs because they are recordings not intended for release)

around christmas i put out the flask christmas album, which i leave as gifts rather than trades. i also leave these in stores and at work and church and bus stops... people seem to like them.

do you have a website where I can hear your music........like myspace or something

:laughing: I collect Signature items my collection can be seen here Signature Item Collection

If you would like your item added to the collection just send me an email or pm and we can work something out.

Soogans i love your pennies i collected Elongated coins for a long time i have about 2000 or so if you would like to trade some of your coins for some of the extras I have send me and email or pm or tell me here. :laughing:

Mamid pm sent about scarf. :laughing:

Nero i would love to get a set of your coins what can i do to get my hand on them? :laughing:

my cd

do you have a website where I can hear your music........like myspace or something

my music is largely unavailable online. here and there you can find a link to specific songs, but mostly no. at christmas i make cuts from the christmas album available in a daily download.

We usually leave a small plastic frog with "Muddy Frogs" penned on the belly. But when I'm feeling creative, I whip up some of these specialtys that I place in caches when it feels right. I've had a couple complements on the first batch, so I made some more for this summer.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v469/Dug...nt=af88bd11.pbw

I just embed the plastic frog in Skulpey clay and bake it.

Edited by muddy frogs

I am having a friend make me some lapel pins with the logo for my city, and my Geo-name on it. I am a little disapointed in the cache's I have found around here. Maybe it is just bad luck, but they have had some awful things in them. One even had the freshness packet from an aspirin bottle. What is up with that? Anyway, that won't deter me from caching and leaving something fun. Shdonna

And Now For Something Completely Different.....

sig1.jpg

That is way cool. How much would something like that cost?

We also leave world coins. Although not that old. The oldest we have seen so far seem to be about 150 years old.

We were leaving them in flips like that but we started leaving them in small plastic bags. I didnt want the paper to disintegrate when the cache got wet. Also the staple would rust.

So far, they seem to get picked up quickly. We print a piece of paper with our team name and a phrase and insert that into the baggie with the coin.

I wish i knew what they were worth. I am not a collector but i have heard form many when you buy in bulk there are usual several coins that will pay for the lot if you collect. The only coin i ever looked up was a Japanese coin that looked neat. I saw it on a coin site for sale for $70. I have no idea what it is really worth though.

The kids love buying them and putting them into little packets. Then they love leaving them in caches.

I would think DNF would be at the bottom. You need a drink after some of them! :huh:

No, I think he got it right. When you're out caching and you find one, it's nice to have a "wee nip", to celebrate, and after a DNF maybe a full shot. But when you can't cache and you're stuck reading the forums, it's double shots all the way......now if my wife would just quit guarding the booze......... :D:D:):)

Re post #41 Knight2000 -

I've been collecting ancients in what now numbers decades. I used to buy bronze in bulk during the Balkan Wars when they were found/sold by soldiers using landmine sweepers. The hobby has grown in popularity since then. Now there are very few legit coin dealers that sell them in bulk due to ebay. On ebay you can buy them bulk for about $2 ea but 9 out of 10 will be junk slugs not worthy of even giving away. But that doesn't prevent ebay sellers from claiming the junk coins to be pristine! :D (I used to pay less than 25 cents ea for VF quality and higher.) Although I do not buy on fleabay, I understand from others that the 1 out 10 is decent quality but out of a hundred you may get only one or two that are collector grade, certainly a money losing proposition. Unlike Geocaching, collecting ancients has a long, painful, and expensive learning curve. Once you get by the crap sellers, then you have to contend with the fakes, which make up a significant portion of on-line sales. ebay blackens the hobby in general - so long as they collect the seller fees, the coin must be authentic! Even if you send ebay documentation of a specific forgery from impeccable sources such as the British Museum, they do nothing about the fraud perpertrated in their venue. Its all about collecting fees, which only encourages other evil doers. Truly a buyer beware environment.

But to answer your question...I give out as sig items what doesn't meet the grade for my collection. I'm down to a few hundred of these left so I'll be caching with them for quite a while yet. The ones I leave are very common (as far as ancients go) and are worth about $5 ea on fleabay today.

The upside is I get to combine two terrific hobbies and spread the joy of both in one stop!

No, I think he got it right. When you're out caching and you find one, it's nice to have a "wee nip", to celebrate, and after a DNF maybe a full shot. But when you can't cache and you're stuck reading the forums, it's double shots all the way......

That is exactly the thinking behind them!

57636_1400.jpg

Last week our hamster died. We put it in a mason jar and buried it in the back yard.

It kind of looked like that only a bit fatter. (We think she had a tumor.)

Before she died i thought it would be fun to put her in a cache and give you (and only you) the coordinates at an event.

Anyone would pay money to see the look on your face... ;)

Now we can scrap that plan... :)