Please keep Loridarlin in your thoughts & prayers

dorkfish

Last December Loridarlin's son Jacob was playing dodgeball at his school. He was hit in the head with a ball and suffered a fractured skull. He spent some time in the hospital as a result. I saw Lori in person in late January and he seemed to be doing pretty good. She seemed very optomistic. Sadly I received an email from Lori on Feb 27th. Jacob had taken a turn for the worse & was heading to surgery. Here is her letter that she sent me:

I am sending this email out in one big group to reach our many family members and friends. The power of prayer and positive thinking is proven to work so I'm bending your ear again.

As most of you know Jacob had his skull fractured in a dodge ball accident during PE at school on Dec. 19, 2006. He was admitted to the hospital on the 22nd and released on the 29th. All was going well until a few weeks ago when he started having problems with his sinuses.

Short story, he gets surgery in the morning starting at 8:30 AM. We would love your prayers and good wishes.

Long story:

He has what's called Potts Puffy Tumor. You can look it up on the net if you want.

Its an absess that develops from sinus problems. Its turned into a major infection both inside and outside of his head.

It started in the sinuses outside of the head and ate away at the bone. The deterioration of the bone allowed it to get inside his head. It is under the skull but on top of the mengis that protect the brain. So far the brain has not been affected and is still doing good.

Tomorrow morning, Tuesday the 27th he will get the infected absesses removed. The neuro surgeon says it is a lower risk surgery because he is not touching the brain itself.

We ask that you all keep him close in your prayers for a safe and successful surgery and also a speedy recovery. He has had a really bad year and is sick of all this crap happening to him and is nervous about getting his head drilled into in the morning. It should last about 3 hours.

I'll give an update tomorrow night.

Thanks to all in advance. I will get in touch with some of you as time permits. All plans for getting together with any of you are going to be put on hold for now. Thanks for your understanding.

I never heard back from Lori. I just phoned and left her a message. She hasn't even logged into gc.com since Feb 28th. Please everyone, keep Lori & Jacob & her family in your thoughts and prayers.

Loridarlin is one of the most generous people I've traded coins with. A really wonderful person. I heard from her on Thursday and she mentioned the surgery and that she was staying at the hospital with her son, but she didn't go into details about it. The e-mail seemed upbeat though, so hopefully that's a good sign.

Hope you're all home safe a sound soon Lori! I'll be praying for you.

an e-mail update from Lori

March 2nd, 2007

Unlike yesterday, which I don't care to revisit EVER... today was a GREAT day for Jacob!!!

*He slept well thru the night last night

*He got his big huge tubes inside his head taken out (I will be kind and spare the horrible details here). The good part is they are gone and they gave him medicine to forget what happened.

*They took him off the feeding IV so he is only attached to the IV pole when he's getting antibiotics 2-4 times a day.

*He is cruising around the 4th floor like he owns the place....just wobbly is all...need to work on balance still

*Felt good enough to be part of the Cat in the Hat birthday party and his HANDS were famous on TV

*We went and played in the play center here on his ward twice today

*Played cards in the lobby while watching Channel 7 tonight to see if he would be famous or not (better reception out there then in his room)

*Was silly all day and cutting jokes. The nurses have come to think he's both very brave and pretty silly too as of late.

*He gets to sleep on his side tonight because the tubes are gone

*Several people sent gifts or he won some at the birthday party....each one just made his day!!!

* 2 doctors signed him off/released him.....2 more doctors to go.....

*It was a great day!!!!

DON'T STOP PRAYING!!!! LOL THEY ARE WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YIPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Praise God!!!!!!!!!!

Lori

an e-mail update from Lori

March 2nd, 2007

Unlike yesterday, which I don't care to revisit EVER... today was a GREAT day for Jacob!!!

*He slept well thru the night last night

*He got his big huge tubes inside his head taken out (I will be kind and spare the horrible details here). The good part is they are gone and they gave him medicine to forget what happened.

*They took him off the feeding IV so he is only attached to the IV pole when he's getting antibiotics 2-4 times a day.

*He is cruising around the 4th floor like he owns the place....just wobbly is all...need to work on balance still

*Felt good enough to be part of the Cat in the Hat birthday party and his HANDS were famous on TV

*We went and played in the play center here on his ward twice today

*Played cards in the lobby while watching Channel 7 tonight to see if he would be famous or not (better reception out there then in his room)

*Was silly all day and cutting jokes. The nurses have come to think he's both very brave and pretty silly too as of late.

*He gets to sleep on his side tonight because the tubes are gone

*Several people sent gifts or he won some at the birthday party....each one just made his day!!!

* 2 doctors signed him off/released him.....2 more doctors to go.....

*It was a great day!!!!

DON'T STOP PRAYING!!!! LOL THEY ARE WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YIPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Praise God!!!!!!!!!!

Lori

That is wonderful news! Thank you so much for posting that. I was so worried. It sounds like everything has gone really well! yeah!!!!!!!

Edited by dorkfish

How many of you out there would like to send Jacob something to help make him feel a little better? I know he likes geocoins too. Would anyone be interested in sending a coin or two to him? I'm sure he'd happily share his gifts with his little brother Jonah.

If you'd like, you could send coins and/or gifts to my house & I'll put everything together in a nice basket & hand deliver it myself. My cousin owns a delicious bakery, and I'd probably take a few dozen cookies as well. Let me know what you think, and feel free to spread this message to everyone you know in case they'd like to help also. :ph34r:

How many of you out there would like to send Jacob something to help make him feel a little better? I know he likes geocoins too. Would anyone be interested in sending a coin or two to him? I'm sure he'd happily share his gifts with his little brother Jonah.

We would love to! Please email your address to jake@coinswag.com and we will get a package out in the mail tomorrow. I have the perfect coin for him, as it has not been released to the public yet so he will be the first to see one first hand!

Jake, Steph, Abby, Maddy

I am so glad to hear that Jacob is doing well. I will keep the entire family in my prayers and am sure the Lord will help make the recovery process as speedy as possible.

As a PE teacher, I would like to appologize for the trauma that this incident/game has caused. We sometimes play dodgeball (I have cut back on how much we play the game and we always use the soft foam balls) and realize how dangerous it can be. Seems like we take a risk anytime we play a game and I always feel absolutely terrible when a student gets hurt whether it be a small scratch or something as terrifying as what has happened here. So I offer deepest appology and my greatest hopes for a speedy recovery.

If you'd like, you could send coins and/or gifts to my house & I'll put everything together in a nice basket & hand deliver it myself. My cousin owns a delicious bakery, and I'd probably take a few dozen cookies as well. Let me know what you think, and feel free to spread this message to everyone you know in case they'd like to help also. :ph34r:

I'd be happy to send them something. I'll drop you an email.

Tsun

We sent you an e-mail.

Lori Darlin,

Our thoughts and prayers as well as the prayers of ALL our large family, are with you and yours. God will surely watch over Jacob, and see him through a speedy recovery. We have seen first hand what the power of prayer can do, and your family has alot of people praying for you. God Bless you all.

Dorkfish, we will be sending you an e-mail with a donation.

Mike & Suzie (Ryder3 & Better Half)

Thank you everyone who has so graciously offered to send gifts/geocoins for Jacob. I'm also going to include a card with everyone's name on it who sent something. Anyone want to design a really cool card I could put all our names on?

Sounds like Jacob is going to be getting some really cool coins. I can't wait to see the look on his face :ph34r:

WOW!! I just came online a bit ago and saw this. I'm speechless. KARMA!!!!!!!!!!! hmmmm.....Where do I begin? I'm writing and rewriting as I see and hear my son sleeping in his hospital bed beside me and him not knowing what you guys are up to. I get internet access in his room and when he goes to sleep at night I get online to de stress from everything going on. I even arranged 2 trades from here (they said they'd wait until we got back home) and then I quit doing that. Now I'm looking up PICC lines and other medical terminology.

First of all and most importantly, thank you to Karma and everyone who is keeping Jacob and us in their prayers and thoughts. You guys are the best and we thank you from the bottom of our hearts. It's people like you that make me enjoy this fun hobby. I've had several friends ask what they could do for us and I tell everyone.....prayers and/or good wishes are all we need. And trust me, it is working!!!

We are hoping to get him released this coming week. They are still awaiting the results from a sensitivity test to see what antibiotics he needs to be on for the infection he has going on in his sinuses and in his brain. The first test failed so they are redoing it. While we are waiting for that they have him on 2 other antibiotics. They are also going to start teaching me how to be his nurse at home and give him IV's twice a day for at least a month. They want to make sure its gone this time around (he spent Christmas week in here) and I'm hoping he doesn't have to come back here again. The first time was bad enough. This time was worse. The doctor said if I had waited to get him in it would have been even worse than that.

ok, back to all of you wonderful people...and what you are trying to do...at the risk of sounding uncaring, especially after what Karma is trying to do, bless her heart, it is really not necessary to send him anything (does that make me a bad mother saying that??) what I am trying to say is that the biggest gift you can give him is your thoughts and prayers. I hope I don't sound ungrateful but if you could see how much he's changed in the last 24 hours you'd know I mean it and you would see what you are doing is ALREADY HELPING!! I'm so THANKFUL!!! :o If you've already given then I guess I can't stop that now can I, and I will remember your generosity in future dealings and I thank you very much, but....please don't feel like you have to give coins to help him....what you are already doing is working great!!! Thank you more than I can ever say. Now that I'm in tears I think I will end this. Thank you very much again. Your kind words and thoughts and prayers have really touched my heart. I won't say anything to Jacob right now about what some of you are doing. I'll let him be surprised. You guys are really something.

Blessings to all of you,

From our whole family :P:ph34r:B):ph34r:

By the way, how old is Jacob?

lol, posted after Lori did. Lori, it is so good to hear from you. I am so happy that Jacob is doing well. You sound so optomistic which is wonderful! I can't speak for anyone else, but I just want to do something besides sending warm wishes. Doing nice things makes me feel good. I want to give Jacob a gift, something that is special to me, and geocoins are pretty special. So you're not stopping me :ph34r: lol

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think Jacob is 9 years old.

Edited by dorkfish

it is really not necessary to send him anything (does that make me a bad mother saying that??) what I am trying to say is that the biggest gift you can give him is your thoughts and prayers.

The thoughts and prayers are a gimmie...we got lots of them, and it sounds like they made it right on par.

However...He wont be able to galk at and play with or fondle our prayers...Let alone release one into a cache and track its movements.-Just ask him, I am SURE he will dissagree with you on the gifts thing :ph34r:

Sounds like he's had it pretty hard lately- and us cachers get enjoyment out of making people happy- It makes us happy. So to send a couple measly coins for bein such a trooper is an easy one...we are happy too!....Youll see, he'll be stoked!

I wish I had one of those Bandaid coins I saw a preview for.

Sending message

Edited by 007BigD

I just read this thread this morning and my thoughts and prayers were with Jacob and your family from the start. Then I read the update and thought dang they were answered quickly... :anibad:

I am really glad things are looking up. Hopefully, Jacob will be out caching and stashing soon with the family.

Steel City Babes

Trasi

Some coins on the way......Everyone loves coins.