Pathtags vs Geocoins

Anthus

I'm thinking of creating some pathtags as a personal sig item but I have a few questions and hope you all can help

1. As a sig item, would you rather collect someone's personal pathtag or their personal geocoin?

2. Does anyone other than the geocoinstore sell pathtags. I really don't want to order through them.

Thanks....Anthus

1. I honestly don't see that much of a difference, as long as it's a sig item that ties in with you I'm all for it. Others might say they prefer geocoins, the only differences I really see are size, where they are tracked, and icon availability. Either way I think both are really cool concepts.

2. It looks like the GeocoinStore is the creator of PathTags and is the only place you can order them from. This is just from limited research though, I may be wrong.

We had tags made for each of the girls. It was an inexpensive way for each of them to have their own sig item (we got in on the $50 start-up deal they were running). The girls love the tags...esp. Heather...and since you can attach them on the clips, she doesn't loose them. Personally, I'd rather find a coin, but the kids love the tags.

I've only heard of PathTags from the GeocoinStore too. I'm sure if they catch on others will get into it too.

Personally I'd prefer a geocoin to a PathTag. A PathTag really only has one side with a design, and they don't look like they have the heft of a coin to them. That being said, they might be cooler than some of the other sig items out there like calling cards and wooden nickels; until I see one in person I can't say for sure (and there are some pretty nice wooden nickels and calling cards). I'd trade some of my nicer sig items for a PathTag, but probably wouldn't trade a geocoin for one unless it was one I really wanted.

I think that the PathTags are a great way to A. Get your foot in the door without paying too much money & B. Have a neat signature item made! Plus they are just so darn cute! I also got in on the $50 special, and even though it took me over a month to come up with my own design (go figure) I am very happy with it, it's my current avatar. For me, my tag says a lot about me, and it will only be traded or given to those I have some connection with, those I've met in person, who have shared some really special story with me, or ones I just talk to all the time, whether we've met yet or not. Some make cute Jewelery too! Can't wait to put mine on! And yeah did I mention they are fun!

The problem I see is the price for the PathTag. In general it is inexpensive for the tag but when it comes to trading you pretty much have to trade for other PathTags. No one is going to trade a full size metal coin for a PathTag nor is anyone going to except 50 wooden nickels for a pathtag.

I guess what I am trying to say is the price of the item falls right between the cost of a regualr coin and other inexpensive signature items.

Since I have already spent multi thousands of dollars on coins I am not about to venture into Pathtags. Just my $0.02.

I like both geocoins and pathtags.

Pathtags are great for trading for other pathtags. I also like them for dropping and giving to friends since they only run about $.99 apiece.

I agree that geocoins are a lot nicer, but they have the higher price tag.

I guess what I'm saying is that there's a place for each and they are each fun to collect.

A lot of good replies so far.

I like PathTags for the simple fact it's not a crime to collect them - tho I've not seen any in the wild, yet. Except for the initial cost of the die they are relatively cheap to produce and therefore a very nice collectable/trackable sig item to leave behind in caches. And it's cheaper than having a personal smashed penny done. And more colourful too.

They don't stack up against coins, imho, for the simple reason they are in a different league... if coins are the major leagues, PathTags are in the minors (or college varsity) while wooden nickels and other personal sig items are more like HS or Little League - great if your own kids are playing but otherwise lacking in polish and lustre.

I LOVE the pathtags...not sure why...but I have them all on a magnetic board where I can see all of them at one time...that's why I like them I guess...because I can display them...

I was quite taken by the display boards that geocoinstore had of the pathtags at Geocoinfest. It really made me want to collect more of them. :blink:

Thanks for all your feedback. I really appreciate it and it has helped me come to a decision. My decision is based on two things. (1) Since Pathtags are only made by the Geocoinstore I'm not going to have any minted. Given past experiences with them and their sample policy, I'm not going to have anything brokered/minted by them anymore. (2) I originally wanted something cheap that my young daughters could enjoy trading just like I enjoy trading geocoins and that would be a trade only item. But, given all the feedback about pathtags being cheap, I think I'm going to have geonickels/micros made just like what Parents of Sam did. I agree that you are not likely to trade a pathtag for a geocoin (hadn't thought about that before).

Thanks again.....Anthus

And it's cheaper than having a personal smashed penny done.
That's not true. You can get a personal smashed penny for a lot cheaper per penny than pathtags.
And more colourful too.
That is true.
They don't stack up against coins, imho, for the simple reason they are in a different league....
I only agree with you if you are referring to Groundspeak trackable geocoins. Otherwise I think they are in the exact same league as micro geocoins. They are die struck and enamel filled. They are only one sided designs, so maybe they are half as good. :blink:

--Marky

I LOVE the pathtags...not sure why...but I have them all on a magnetic board where I can see all of them at one time...that's why I like them I guess...because I can display them...

I was quite taken by the display boards that geocoinstore had of the pathtags at Geocoinfest. It really made me want to collect more of them. :blink:

You don't have to buy the thing that they have...take a look...this is a magnetic write on write off board...buy those little circle magnets (I got mine at Walmart) and VIOLA! They are very magnetic this way...you can use the small circle magnets to stick them to your fridge too...

S6009373.jpg

(please ignore the drool on the wall...the tank hounds can't keep it in their jowels! :blink:

You don't have to buy the thing that they have...take a look...this is a magnetic write on write off board...buy those little circle magnets (I got mine at Walmart) and VIOLA! They are very magnetic this way...you can use the small circle magnets to stick them to your fridge too...

S6009373.jpg

(please ignore the drool on the wall...the tank hounds can't keep it in their jowels! :blink:

I LOVE that, now I gotta get a second design going for trades!

I see Pathtags as a trackable, collectible signature item. At the time we created the artwork for our Pathtags, we had similiar artwork created for personal geocoins.

It was the December special on Pathtags that really got us started. It will be fun to start leaving pathtags in caches but so far there has been so much interest in trading between other pathtag owners, we are nearly out of our supplies already.

Tank Hounds, pretty cool you must have received ours in the mail on Saturday already as I see them in your photo.

AuntieNae

I think pathtags make super sig items. They are very good quality for the money. I personally don't like to collect them though. They are all the same. Geocoins are much more interesting to me with the different finishes and shapes. If you are comparing them to geocoins there is no question which is better, but if you compare them to wooden nickels etc. they are outstanding.

Thanks for all your feedback. I really appreciate it and it has helped me come to a decision. My decision is based on two things. (1) Since Pathtags are only made by the Geocoinstore I'm not going to have any minted. Given past experiences with them and their sample policy, I'm not going to have anything brokered/minted by them anymore. (2) I originally wanted something cheap that my young daughters could enjoy trading just like I enjoy trading geocoins and that would be a trade only item. But, given all the feedback about pathtags being cheap, I think I'm going to have geonickels/micros made just like what Parents of Sam did. I agree that you are not likely to trade a pathtag for a geocoin (hadn't thought about that before).

Thanks again.....Anthus

Geocoins.net has an option....metal tokens that work out to aout $1.00 each :blink:

We've just ordered our 2nd Pathtag design for trades with those who have multiple designs. I beleive we are the only (or one of the very few) pathtag owners outside of North America so find trading a tad expensive shipping them all back to the US :-) But it's fun, we also leave one in each cache we find.

The coin designs are next - sheduled for May.

Sue

I think the idea of Pathtags vs Geocoins is hysterical because 'Tags are what geocoins were before they became mainstream according to all the forums I've been reading. For the cachers who abhor the idea of selling their personal coins these are a great solution. A real coin at a real good price is what caught us. For the purists who want a high quality signature item to leave behind they're fantastic. It's also a great way to get into having a personal coin without taking a big monetary risk. The initial cost barely covers the dies and production, but once the dies are made, you can keep getting refills 'till kingdom come.

A Tag is a personal coin in it's purest form. A high quality coin that is enamel filled. They're definitely in the same league as most micros, too. We've been very happy with ours and have heard nothing but happy reports with everyone we've traded with over the quality of their own tags. Would I trade my geocoin for a 'Tag? Not likely, but would I trade my 'Tag for another cacher's quality signiture item? Absolutely. :signalviolin: I'm sure as the number of tags increase we'll start seeing a lot more put in caches. I know my wife is running low on hers already from trades and placing in caches. So they're out there :mmraspberry:

edit: to ad a pic of my wife's tag...

cherspathtag.jpg

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

A Tag is a personal coin in it's purest form.

I'll have to disagree on this one. Personal geocoins are my purest form of a personal coin with Moun10Bike being the first personal coin. After doing some more research and listening to what everone has said, I see a pathtag and just that -- a personal tag sig item. I see geocoins as coins. They are indeed two different types of sig items -- one a tag and one a coin. One being much cheaper to purchase than the other -- one having a lot more design freedoms than the other. Each with their own pros and cons. Don't get me wrong, i'm not putting the tags down. They each have their own place in the geoTrading community -- you said so yourself that you would not trade a geocoin for a pathtag. I just wished someone other than the geocoinstore sold them. You cannot even get on their trading site unless you have a pathtag through them.

Edited by Anthus

I just wished someone other than the geocoinstore sold them. You cannot even get on their trading site unless you have a pathtag through them.

Actually, you can get on their site now without owning a pathtag. I don't have one of my own, but I have a few I've collected.

I believe (and I could be wrong) that Pathtags are a GCC product. Their brand, their tracking system, so it makes sense that they are the only ones selling them.

I got my boyfriend some for Christmas. He loves them! He has had such a great time trading them and dropping them in caches! I can't wait to get my own set!

Actually, you can get on their site now without owning a pathtag. I don't have one of my own, but I have a few I've collected.

I tried yesterday afteroon and couldn't get on. I'll have to try it again

I believe (and I could be wrong) that Pathtags are a GCC product. Their brand, their tracking system, so it makes sense that they are the only ones selling them.

Sorry you are right, GCC and the Geocoinstore have the same partners so I think of them as the same thing.

I'll have to disagree on this one. Personal geocoins are my purest form of a personal coin with Moun10Bike being the first personal coin. After doing some more research and listening to what everone has said, I see a pathtag and just that -- a personal tag sig item. I see geocoins as coins. They are indeed two different types of sig items -- one a tag and one a coin. One being much cheaper to purchase than the other -- one having a lot more design freedoms than the other. Each with their own pros and cons. Don't get me wrong, i'm not putting the tags down. They each have their own place in the geoTrading community -- you said so yourself that you would not trade a geocoin for a pathtag. I just wished someone other than the geocoinstore sold them. You cannot even get on their trading site unless you have a pathtag through them.

I'd like to know why you think a tag is not a coin. I'm not saying it's a GEOCOIN, but it is by even the strictest definitions a personal coin. It's a minted piece of metal (in a circle before we start that debate again) that is designed as a personal signature item. It's made by the same process and mints as geocoins. Dies are cut, metal is struck, it's filled with enamel and baked the same as geocoins. So at what point did it stop being a coin for you? Being cheaper to manufacture doesn't change what it is. Design freedoms? I would have to say not only is that incorrect, but not even in the same ballpark. 'Tags do not have to be approved by Groundspeak so some may see this as having far more freedoms. If you mean 3d, special enamels, etc. I'll happily grant that materials are more limited, but it's definitely not a "design freedom" issue. I agree they both have their own place in the community though. It may not have the trade value of a trackable Geocoin either, but it's still a Coin. Actually, I imagine the only reason it was ever given the name Tag was to avoid there being any confusion as to it being a completely different animal. :signalviolin:

I'd like to know why you think a tag is not a coin. I'm not saying it's a GEOCOIN, but it is by even the strictest definitions a personal coin. It's a minted piece of metal (in a circle before we start that debate again) that is designed as a personal signature item. It's made by the same process and mints as geocoins. Dies are cut, metal is struck, it's filled with enamel and baked the same as geocoins. So at what point did it stop being a coin for you? Being cheaper to manufacture doesn't change what it is. Design freedoms? I would have to say not only is that incorrect, but not even in the same ballpark. 'Tags do not have to be approved by Groundspeak so some may see this as having far more freedoms. If you mean 3d, special enamels, etc. I'll happily grant that materials are more limited, but it's definitely not a "design freedom" issue. I agree they both have their own place in the community though. It may not have the trade value of a trackable Geocoin either, but it's still a Coin. Actually, I imagine the only reason it was ever given the name Tag was to avoid there being any confusion as to it being a completely different animal. :signalviolin:

My point for this thread was not to start a war between geocoins and pathtags. So, I'm not going to debate on either one. My intention was (as is stated in my OP) to see if people preferred to trade personal geocoin or personal tags and if there was any other company that is making tags -- I didn't realize at the time of my OP that Pathtags was a trademark for GCC or that they were the only ones making them.

Thanks....Anthus

My point for this thread was not to start a war between geocoins and pathtags. So, I'm not going to debate on either one. My intention was (as is stated in my OP) to see if people preferred to trade personal geocoin or personal tags and if there was any other company that is making tags -- I didn't realize at the time of my OP that Pathtags was a trademark for GCC or that they were the only ones making them.

Thanks....Anthus

I'm not out to start angst, so I'm sorry if I've derailed a bit with coin debate. :signalviolin: I'm still really curious at the motivation for wanting to make an item like this. To answer your question we enjoy trading them both. They're both signature items that are very personal to the cacher and their ideals. If you come up with something that looks cool (tag or not) I'd be happy to trade ours for yours. :mmraspberry:

There's a couple reasons I like pathtags

First is they are reasonably priced. I got my initial starter during the half off sale. Refills are $1/coin. So, with my starter and refill, I'm paying $1.20/coin

Second is the design and ordering is very straight forward. The price is spelled out on the website and the process for uploading the design was easy.

Third, I like thier account management and trading system. It's easy to see other peoples tags and to request and keep track of trades.

So it's not a GEOcoin with tracking and icons, but I'm fine with that. From what I've seen, most people just collect icons and don't actually send coins in the wild anyway.

Just out of curiousity, what would be your main motivation for creating a 'Tag or something like it?

edit for grammar....again.

I wanted something for my two small daughters to collect that was different from geocoins (geocoins are an expensive thing for a 6 year old and 10 year old to collect IMO) -- they have been asking to start their own geo related trading item. We initially thought we would trade geopins -- but I cannot find a trading site or many people that actually trade the pins. They had a great time trading the pins at Disney World last year so we thought that was a great idea. I saw the Pathtags and thought that would be a great cheap item for them to trade.

I'm sticking to geocoins for my trade / sig item. One sig item habit is enough for me :signalviolin:

I just wanted something different for my daughters to collect that was geo-related that wasn't expensive but was more popular than the geopins. I was hoping there were other companies out there that made geoTags and didn't realize that GCC was the only place. Maybe in the future :mmraspberry:

I wanted something for my two small daughters to collect that was different from geocoins (geocoins are an expensive thing for a 6 year old and 10 year old to collect IMO) -- they have been asking to start their own geo related trading item. We initially thought we would trade geopins -- but I cannot find a trading site or many people that actually trade the pins. They had a great time trading the pins at Disney World last year so we thought that was a great idea. I saw the Pathtags and thought that would be a great cheap item for them to trade.

I'm sticking to geocoins for my trade / sig item. One sig item habit is enough for me :signalviolin:

I just wanted something different for my daughters to collect that was geo-related that wasn't expensive but was more popular than the geopins. I was hoping there were other companies out there that made geoTags and didn't realize that GCC was the only place. Maybe in the future :mmraspberry:

I'm not sure how "crafty" your daughters are, but my nieces are big on the build-it-youself jewelry stuff. There used to be a bunch of threads showing personal sigs that included a lot of this kind of stuff that was jewelry in nature. Scrimshaw, baked clay, and other baked plastics are both inexpensive and a lot of fun to work. There are a lot of cachers doing it from the entries in the Tokens are Cool and Sigitems threads. You might be able to find a manufacturer to make a custom bead or token to use as a center piece in your daughter's work, too. Worker of Wood has a bunch of really great items and could probably give you some great advice. As for commercially made collectibles though, it might be a bit of a wait yet. The most popular item we've encountered (even more than geocoins) is still wooden nickels though. :drama:

Path tags are more like trackable signature items than geocoins. I can not see them being considered the same.

AuntieNae

I couldn't DISAGREE more with this statement. The first geocoin WAS a trackable signature item. They've gone all over the map since then losing their focus IMO. The majority of coins coming out now are a lot further away from a true geocoin than Pathtags are.

I think the idea of Pathtags vs Geocoins is hysterical because 'Tags are what geocoins were before they became mainstream according to all the forums I've been reading. For the cachers who abhor the idea of selling their personal coins these are a great solution. A real coin at a real good price is what caught us. For the purists who want a high quality signature item to leave behind they're fantastic. It's also a great way to get into having a personal coin without taking a big monetary risk. The initial cost barely covers the dies and production, but once the dies are made, you can keep getting refills 'till kingdom come.

A Tag is a personal coin in it's purest form. A high quality coin that is enamel filled. They're definitely in the same league as most micros, too. We've been very happy with ours and have heard nothing but happy reports with everyone we've traded with over the quality of their own tags. Would I trade my geocoin for a 'Tag? Not likely, but would I trade my 'Tag for another cacher's quality signiture item? Absolutely. :signalviolin: I'm sure as the number of tags increase we'll start seeing a lot more put in caches. I know my wife is running low on hers already from trades and placing in caches. So they're out there :mmraspberry:

Ok, I saw Fox's post before I could fully reply so I bolded the parts that are spot on IMO.

This whole thing begs the question: How long before somebody starts selling their Pathtags (not on this site of course) to fund their run of them....

Pathtags are 'Trolley Coins'. People from the EU can give you more information about them.

What makes them unique is the number on the back, hence the Path Tags.

Thanks. Someone else send me a message with some links in it to some sites that are selling them. Not sure if I'm permitted to post them here or not since they are commercial sites. Just do an internet search for "trolley coins", "trolley tokens, and "trolley-coins" or email me. Can probably have one of the other tracking sites like Marky's do the tracking. :signalviolin:

....Anthus

There seems to be some confusion about using pathtags as trackable sig items. Since each pathtag in a design shares the same tracking number as the others of that design, they can't really be individually tracked the way numbered signature items, geocoins or travelbugs can unless you add/attach an additional unique number to them. Because of that, I don't really consider pathtags as trackable. This is fine if you weren't planning on having your pathtags moving from cache to cache.

--Marky

I'd like to know why you think a tag is not a coin. I'm not saying it's a GEOCOIN, but it is by even the strictest definitions a personal coin. It's a minted piece of metal (in a circle before we start that debate again) that is designed as a personal signature item. It's made by the same process and mints as geocoins. Dies are cut, metal is struck, it's filled with enamel and baked the same as geocoins. So at what point did it stop being a coin for you?

For me (as a numismatists) pathtags will never be a coin. But before anyone gets huffy, I should also point out that I dont consider "geocoins" coins ether. There all tokens to me :signalviolin: , one cheaper and non-trackable the other more expensive with tracking optional.

What is the size and thickness of the tags?

About the same size as 1 Euro.

I'm thinking of creating some pathtags as a personal sig item but I have a few questions and hope you all can help

1. As a sig item, would you rather collect someone's personal pathtag or their personal geocoin?

2. Does anyone other than the geocoinstore sell pathtags. I really don't want to order through them.

Thanks....Anthus

1) I'd rather collect a geocoin (unless its got a ship on it)

2)Yes, but you wont get your own ID# like the rest. (as stated above google "trolley token"/"trolley coin")