Who Do You Agree With?

I was noticing the other day that there's several folks here on the forums that I almost always agree with, and on the other hands, many that I consistently disagree with.

So who do you find yourself thinking like?

I often tend to play the "devil's advocate" in discussions, so I tend to like posts that show the other side of the story. I also appreciate those who can make a brilliant point in just a sentence or two. (something I'm not so hot at) Lastly, I like a sense of humor and a bit of humility.

So here's the posters that I tend to agree with. I realize they are very active posters, but I think I'd have them on this list even if I had only a few examples to draw from.

Briansnat

Renegade Knight

sbell111

Who's on your list?

I've been on internet discussion forums since back when they were called BBS's and our modem was 1200 baud.

From computer forums to target-shooting forums to motorcycle, photography, sculpture and now geocaching forums, I've racked up thousands and thousands of posts...

If I've learned one only thing, it would be that conversing in type is much like the telephone-game.

You try to make a joke, or sarcasm, or just a clever phrase and it can very easily be interpreted as a personal attack by the reader(s).

So, I choose my words carefully, proof it before hitting submit, and I check on the following posts to make sure my intended statement or opinion was interpreted the way I intended, and if I see that what I typed is being read as insulting or something I will edit my post and apologize for the misunderstanding.

Likewise, if I read something that rubs me the wrong way, I'll either ignore it, or if particularily invested in the topic, I might type a response and ask for clarification.

There's a saying about arguing on the internet, and although not PC, it does ring pretty true.

There are some folks that get really torqued up when others don't use proper syntax or punctuation or have poor-spelling.

I can't see why that's something to get the blood pressure up about; if something is typed so poorly as to make it incomprehensible (sp?), I just skip reading it.

I've made some really good face-to-face friends through some forums over the years, and sure, I've probably ticked some people off, and I've been ticked off by stuff I've read, but overall, people are pretty decent and it's a waste of your own time arguing with those you don't share agreement.

$.02, ~K

Briansnat

Renegade Knight

sbell111

That's odd because I don't think Sbell111 and I have agreed on 5 things in the past 5 years :laughing: .

As far as people that I rarely find myself on the opposite side of, there are:

Criminal

Coyote Red

Jamie Z

CarleenP

Auntie Weasel (where has she been lately anyway?)

Fizzymagic

Of course that doesn't mean I don't respect many of the people whom I often disagree with. For instance El Diablo and I clashed often enough that we had a series of debates in Todays Cacher. We eventually ran out of subjects though and tended to agree on everything else. The Alabama Rambler is nearly always on the opposite side of the fence, but he seems like a great guy and his opinions are based on his life and geocaching experiences, which are very different than mine. Snoogans is another person who I find myself rarely agreeing with, but I like the way he states his case (and someday I'm actually going to read his entire profile).

Edited by briansnat

If I've learned one only thing, it would be that conversing in type is much like the telephone-game.

You try to make a joke, or sarcasm, or just a clever phrase and it can very easily be interpreted as a personal attack by the reader(s).

I don't agree with any of you, none of you know a dang thing about using a GPS. I think most of you couldn't find water if you fell out of a boat... :laughing:

Just kidding, I'm new to the Forum but have found a lot of useful information. Thanks.

Briansnat

Renegade Knight

sbell111

That's odd because I don't think Sbell111 and I have agreed on 5 things in the past 5 years

That's funny because I was going to say the same thing. The truth is, I think we only disagree on one or two of our pet topics.

I tend to also agree with:

Lep (although I noticed that he hasn't posted much in the last several months)

Criminal

Auntie Weasel

Renegade Knight

Coyote Red (Just kidding!)

Edited by sbell111

Coyote Red (Just kidding!)

If CR is posting in a topic I might be interested in, I get interested. I almost NEVER agree with him, but he is disagreeable in a way that often makes me think deeper on a subject. One of my alllll time favorite debates was with him on the "Geocaching Highbrow" thread. A worthy adversary.

RK often says what I am thinking before I can say it. Or says it better after I've said it.

I read Jeremy's posts because he is the Mayor of Geocaching Town. I don't always agree.........

I don't ever remember not seeing Carleenp's point. She's so smart and purty. :laughing:

Keystone and Stunod have my biggest support as mods. They do it right by me ya know.... Respectful but firm.

Edited by Snoogans

What I find most interesting about this thread is that fact that I see some of you posting that I almost always agree with, and yet you are listing people in your lists that I almost never agree with! :ph34r:

My partial list:

Lep

Renegade Knight

Snoog

tozainamboku

Ambrosia :ph34r:

ReadyorNot...(Although this is a recent addition. In the past, you were too argumentative for me to agree) :D

I have to add Jeremy...although I don't always agree...he is by far my favorite read! (Escpecially when someone comes along and invokes Godwin's Law on him!) :laughing:

I've been in disagreement with Coyote Red, Criminal, Alabama Rambler, and sbell111 on a couple of touchy subjects that have come up and in complete agreement with said cachers on other topics. As far as being in agreement with almost all the time, thinking those would be Auntie Weasel, Briansnat, Renegade Knight, and ParentsofSAM.

Now, wouldn't it be nice if only we could all be in agreement 100% of the time like these two are,,,, CR and sbell111! :laughing:

Ho boy...let's see... I find Tozainamboku readily agreeable, and he says he usually agrees with the following:

The Leprechauns

Coyote Red (more often then I would like to admit)

fizzymagic (on any topic other than Waymarking, although I like to goad him a bit when posting on whether cheating matters)

So I guess that means I'm in with:

Tozainamboku

The Leprechauns

Coyote Red

fizzymagic

But I also tend to agree with Cornerstone4:

Lep

Renegade Knight

Snoog

tozainamboku

Ambrosia :)

ReadyorNot...(Although this is a recent addition. In the past, you were too argumentative for me to agree) :)

I have to add Jeremy....

Now my cumulative list grows to the following:

Tozainamboku (twice mentioned)

The Leprechauns

Coyote Red

fizzymagic

Renegade Knight

Snoog

Ambrosia

ReadyorNot

I have to add Jeremy...or do I?

But Snoogans agrees with:

RK

Carleenp

Keystone

Stunod

(heavily paraphrased)

So now that means I generally agree with the following...I think:

Tozainamboku (2X)

The Leprechauns

Coyote Red

fizzymagic

Renegade Knight (2X)

Snoog

Ambrosia

ReadyorNot

Carleenp

Keystone

Stunod

I have to add Jeremy...somewhere.

Of course, this is going to get exponential until I agree with everyone except Sbell and VeryLost.

The fact is, I agree with myself. That's good enough for me.

I am going to go ahead and add a few:

Fizzy - makes me read closer and learn more - I may not agree but I have great respect for his intellect

Keystone - a calm in the storm

Jeremy - just because

Mountain Man - I often Agree

Ambrosia - funny at times and we often share the same views

and a few others I am sure....

To me, it's a lot more about whose opinion I respect than who I always agree with. We're all individuals, and therefore we're bound to disagree on some things. I remember when I first got involved in the forums, I had a violent disagreement with briansnat about "vacation virtuals." I suspect we would still disagree, but I certainly have learned to respect his opinion!

In that vein, a partial list of the posters who I most respect:

briansnat

tozainamboku

robertlipe

Criminal

Coyote Red

JamieZ

CYBret

sept1c_tank

El Diablo

In that vein, a partial list of the posters who I most respect:

briansnat

tozainamboku

robertlipe

Criminal

Coyote Red

JamieZ

CYBret

sept1c_tank

El Diablo

Uh, make that:

Tozainamboku (3X)

The Leprechauns

Coyote Red (2X)

fizzymagic

Renegade Knight (2X)

Snoogans

Ambrosia

ReadyorNot

Carleenp

Keystone

Stunod

briansnat

robertlipe

Criminal

JamieZ

CYBret

sept1c_tank

El Diablo

and, of course...Jeremy...for some reason.

I'll compile that exhaustive list eventually.

Oh, wait, Briansnat is on my list and Brian agrees with:

Criminal

Coyote Red

Jamie Z

CarleenP

Auntie Weasel

Fizzymagic

Oh, good night! :)

Edited by nonaeroterraqueous

I much prefer the voice of wisdom to the mindless minions.

(since I belong to the mindless minions, I can say that) :)

Those folks who, in my opinion, can make a point, and make it well, include:

Jeremy (Yeah, I'm a brown noser. Gotta agree with the boss!)

Renegade Knight (Uncommonly common sense)

TrailGators (Straight to the point of the matter, bypassing the BS)

Snoogans (Cuz he's the Snoog, of course)

The Alabama Rambler (More tolerant than I'll ever be)

Ambrosia (Could find something nice to say about even the biggest PITA)

CYBret (Supports his beliefs with facts. No hypothetical nonsense)

Keystone (Thinks before he types. Well mannered in the face of adversity)

Auntie Weasel (An astounding wit, sharp as a razor)

Mtn-Man (Able to shoot down 5 paragraphs of carp with a single, well aimed sentence)

Kit Fox (Way too smart to live in Kalifornia. Can't be a native) :)

PigPen4x4 (He's my big brother & will beat me up if I don't include him)

These aren't folks I always agree with, but they are folks I always learn from. Gotta respect that!

Edited by Clan Riffster
I just read the posts - does not matter who types them.
This little project was difficult for me because I almost never pay attention to who posted what. I simply respond to the post. If I disagree with the post, I post why. If I agree, I explain why.

Not me. If someone says something particularly moronic or brilliant, I'll sometimes take a closer look at their profile. Rarely will I look at finds, but I'll look at past posts for any more gems of stupidity or lucidity.

Not me. If someone says something particularly moronic or brilliant, I'll sometimes take a closer look at their profile. Rarely will I look at finds, but I'll look at past posts for any more gems of stupidity or lucidity.

I often do that. Especially if it's a name I don't recognize or rarely see. Finds and time in the sport only give a hint at perspective. I rarely even look at those unless I smell a dirty sock.

I don't think there is anyone that I always agree with.

And that's good...cuz anyone who thinks like me would be an idiot. :)

I AGREE! :)

Hmm I also agree with the chickenman and the zombiewoof. Does that make us a quorum? :)

Are you agreeing that anyone who agrees with you is an idiot or that anyone who agrees with Stunod is in idiot? :D

I don't think there is anyone that I always agree with.

And that's good...cuz anyone who thinks like me would be an idiot. :wacko:

I AGREE! :D

Hmm I also agree with the chickenman and the zombiewoof. Does that make us a quorum? :D

More evidence in support of my theory...

If we get one more we can have a quartet. Who's stupid enough to sing bass with us?

bigmouthbass.jpg

Bret

Gee, and I was already going to post that I always tend to agree with Kealia! :wacko:

I honestly haven't given much conscious thought to whether I tend to agree with particular people. I can think offhand of a number of people whose opinions always seem to be well thought out, even if I don't agree with them.

But that's not the point of this thread, so I'm not going to flatter those people by naming them. :D

If we get one more we can have a quartet. Who's stupid enough to sing bass with us?

bigmouthbass.jpg

My list (in no particular order)...

Briansnat

Stunod

CarleenP

jamiez

StarBrand

CYBret

TrailGators

These are the ones with which I agree 99% of the time. There's always SOMETHING that we differ on.

I absolutely love the fact that I'm not on ANYONE'S list. :D

I absolutely love the fact that I'm not on ANYONE'S list. :D

You were on Trailgator's list up above, so don't feel bad :wacko:

I'm afraid to put anyone's name down, because then they'd probably disagree with me.

I will put:

Lep

Keystone

CyBret

Because I've been suspended by them and I also agree with them most of the time :D