It's getting deep out there!

Prying Pandora

We lost power at about 5:15 pm on Thursday night. We have fled to Olympia to my parents house where they at least had heat, something we didn't have. Power came on here about an hour ago. After seeing Land Rover's post I called my house again and it's still not answering so I'm guessing we still don't have power.

There was a snapped power pole down the street from us so it may take a while.

We lost power for 16 hours in Shelton. I tried to go caching on the Mclane nature trail today but had to go elsewhere since Delphi road was closed and I did not know a good way to get around to the other side of the closure. There was a wire down across the road and some people were driving under it but not many.

I had my Palm and GPS all ready to go with caches on the Mclane Trail... oh well.. maybe tomorrow..

I saw two cars outside of Oly near GCVWMP that were smashed flat by one tree. There were wires down near GCVWMP but not close enough to stop us from getting the cache.

Wow, Just another good reason for me to enjoy my side of the mountains. Smaller town less trees down, ground not so soaked with water and less people so easier to get power back up after an outage. Right now all those caches take a back seat to warmth and power.

Edited by Patudles

Out here east of Duvall/Carnation, we are still without power (running our generator) and judging by all the downed power poles in the area, we still have a couple more days at least before we see power. It's cold, but at least we have a lot of firewood to stay warm.

The timing is not great. Our 3rd son is due Christmas Eve and we HAD been hoping he'd be a bit early, but bringing a baby home to a house with no power doesn't sound too appealing!

On the news last night someone from PSE was saying that Mercer Island would probably be the last area to have power restored since they had much more damage from trees than other areas. I can see the south part of the island from my front window and it does look strange at night with no lights at all.

We are back home now. Total time without power was 71 hours. From Thursday at 5:15 until today at about 4:00 pm. No loss to the homestead, but we did have to toss out most of the food from the fridge.

I feel kinda of bad. Up here in the convergence zone we were without power for less than 8 hours. However I was forced to take Friday off since they didn't have an power at work, Bellevue, went in today and only half the building had power, no heat, no phones, no internet (THE HORROR) after 4 hours I left to come home to my precious laptop and internet access.

I'm bringing it to work with me tomorrow so if worse comes to worse I can sit out in the SB parking lot borrowing their WiFi. :)

Looks like it's getting deep again but this time it is deep with fallen trees. I just love winter in the NW! (seriously :))

We lost power at home sometime during the night last night and still don't have it. Of course, everything is fine at work. :)

How is everyone else faring. Will this impact your weekend caching?

Hate to correct you BPR, but winter actually starts on Thursday.

cheers,

Poppa J

Lighting Jeff, you will have to let us know about the arrival of your new caching buddy. Congrats!!

Alas, nothing yet. We had hoped he'd be a bit early, but now he might as well hold off for another couple of days. If he decides to come tonight, I hope Santa has a contingency plan to take care of our other two! At least we finally got our power back yesterday - after nearly 9 days.

Lighting Jeff, you will have to let us know about the arrival of your new caching buddy. Congrats!!

Alas, nothing yet.

Finally! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Angus Glenn Ganson was born on New Year's Day (8 days late) at 6:29 p.m. He was 6 lbs. 6 oz., 19 1/4 inches. Gus gave us a couple of scares during labor, and at one point his heart rate got so low that Meli was rushed to the OR in case an emergency C-section was necessary. He recovered though, and surgery wasn't necessary. He and Meli are doing great, relaxing at home now. (Gus's middle name is in honor of my brother Glenn, who passed away in May 2004.)

c9c07573-49ce-4df9-bd81-5a2bed8c8042.jpg

Look for this guy on a trail near you soon!

Congrats, Jeff and Meli!! He's a cutie. :rolleyes:

And here's my 'getting deep' saga: I lost power (and phone line) during the Big Wind on Dec. 14, and didn't get it back for 3 days - just in time to throw out all my food and fly to New Mexico for the holidays. I arrived there just before a snowstorm, which kept us housebound a couple of days with 10" (my cousins live outside Albuquerque on a farm).

Not too bad....but last Friday-Saturday, when I was supposed to fly back, New Mexico had its 'storm of the century' - and Albuquerque set a one-day record for snowfall, with 16.3 inches at the SunPort, aka SnowPort, and more in the foothills. They aren't really prepared for that much snow in the flatland city, and combined with the fog and ice.....Southwest canceled all its flights for nearly two days, including mine. I couldn't get another flight for FOUR days....finally got back this afternoon. During my extra-innings holiday, I couldn't even get out to visit my cousins, because the roads and interstates were closed for days - spent New Year's Eve by myself in a hotel. And they are still digging people out in the NE part of the state, where drifts are up to 10 feet. Ranchers can't feed their cattle, folks were taking in strangers who've been stranded in their cars for days. Bit of a mess. Heck, the snow was too deep to cache, although I tried, and got frostnip on my toes. :wub: Good part: It was sunny for days after the snow....ahhhh....and very beautiful.

I'm tired of being a participant in record-setting weather - rain, wind, snow, flooding.....is it spring yet?

What a handsome youngster Jeff! Congratulations.

Hydnsek, I really enjoyed caching with you last year, but I would respectfully ask that you NOT come to Oregon until you stop causing record setting weather!

I once knew a guy that went to China right when the Tianemen Square incident happened. Came back to Seattle to a bridge sinking (the old I-90). Then went to San Francisco to see the big earthquake level the freeways... one right after the other.

Nicest guy you'd ever know, with the biggest blackest cloud right behind him. :laughing:

Hydnsek, I really enjoyed caching with you last year, but I would respectfully ask that you NOT come to Oregon until you stop causing record setting weather!

:laughing: Fair warning: I am going to be down there in 2-3 weeks to visit friends in Eugene and Portland. Do you have a preferred weather phenomenon? :laughing:

Edited by hydnsek

:laughing: Fair warning: I am going to be down there in 2-3 weeks to visit friends in Eugene and Portland. Do you have a preferred weather phenomenon? :laughing:

How about Sunny and 90 Degrees in the middle of winter??? :unsure:

Edited by Dwoodford

:lol: Fair warning: I am going to be down there in 2-3 weeks to visit friends in Eugene and Portland. Do you have a preferred weather phenomenon? :lol:

How about Sunny and 90 Degrees in the middle of winter??? :lol:

If she can make that happen (anything over 75 degrees will qualify), I'll buy her dinner every day she's here.

On another note: I was up visiting family at Thanksgiving in 1990 when the I-90 bridge sunk. I grew up in Seattle and was kinda depressed that the "floating" bridge's demise was so ignominious.

How about Sunny and 90 Degrees in the middle of winter??? :lol:

If she can make that happen (anything over 75 degrees will qualify), I'll buy her dinner every day she's here.

On another note: I was up visiting family at Thanksgiving in 1990 when the I-90 bridge sunk. I grew up in Seattle and was kinda depressed that the "floating" bridge's demise was so ignominious.

Oooh!! I guess you do have a lotta money saved, not having to buy that Johnnie Lacy coin - oh wait, that was a year ago. :lol:

The good news on bridges is: the 'new' I-90 floating bridge survived last month's Mighty Wind.

It's amazingly bad. We had winds in town up to 120 mph. We have lost so many trees. Some people still don't have electricity...but it's getting better. Fortunately nobody has been hurt that we know of.

So that's where Ellensburg's wind went!

Actually, it was windy here yesterday, but no damage that I know about. It hasn't been very windy since about mid fall.

Here we go again. Woke up a 3:50 am to get hubby up for work. Looked out side and had about inch of snow on the ground. Ironman114 went to work but I have a feeling he will be back later.

I just looked out the window and it is really coming down again and the wind is blowing. Now we have almost 2 inches of snow, suppose to get another 1-3 inches today, Looks really pretty outside. Wish I had to camera.

Edited by IronMaiden

Here we go again. Woke up a 3:50 am to get hubby up for work. Looked out side and had about inch of snow on the ground. Ironman114 went to work but I have a feeling he will be back later.

I just looked out the window and it is really coming down again and the wind is blowing. Now we have almost 2 inches of snow, suppose to get another 1-3 inches today, Looks really pretty outside. Wish I had to camera.

It's a big bust here in Newcastle/Bellevue. Woke up to a trace of snow, and partly cloudy skies with a few sunbeams. Perhaps my weather curse has been lifted. :laughing:

It's a big bust here in Newcastle/Bellevue. Woke up to a trace of snow, and partly cloudy skies with a few sunbeams. Perhaps my weather curse has been lifted. :)

...or not. After an anticlimatic day of nothing, the sleet and then snow started at sundown here in Newcastle. Just measured 3 inches on my deck and it's still coming down. Hey, this storm was supposed stay north (and south) of us!! We were in the snow shadow, what happened?! :)

Good news is: skiing and sledding in our cul de sac tomorrow! Woo hoo!

I feel bad for everyone up in the Seattle area. Looks like you guys really got blasted with the snow.

The roads have been really slick here last night. When Ironman114 was on his way home, he stopped at the intersection close to our house. When he pulled out the truck wanted to did a 360 in the roadway. Thank goodness no one else was around. He thought it was funny, like he always does. I'm just glad he wasn't hurt or the truck wrecked.

I feel bad for everyone up in the Seattle area. Looks like you guys really got blasted with the snow.

The roads have been really slick here last night. When Ironman114 was on his way home, he stopped at the intersection close to our house. When he pulled out the truck wanted to did a 360 in the roadway. Thank goodness no one else was around. He thought it was funny, like he always does. I'm just glad he wasn't hurt or the truck wrecked.

Took my wife 4 hours to come home 6 miles last night.

Everybody from little sports cars to monster SUVs abandoned their cars the entire distance. Half of them without even trying to get to the side of the road. That was in 2 inches. Overnight, we picked up an additional 6".

Edited by TotemLake

Suprised Prying Pandora hasn't chimed in yet. Kent escaped a lot of the worse stuff, but it is pretty icy. Learning from the last storm, I set the alarm for 15 minutes earlier, and used to that time to walk a bit further to another bus stops that goes down the same hill as I usually go down on the bus. I was passing cars pretty quickly as the roads on top of the hill were pretty icy. My usual bus wouldn't have made it on time for the train, but it wasn't so bad that I couldn't have walked down the hill either.

cheers,

Poppa J, warmly at work