It's getting deep out there!

Prying Pandora

Wow! I must live in the negative convergence zone. We have less than two inches and we're at 400 feet (only a few miles south of WeightMan and Hydnsek). I was able to get out and grab a couple of caches - I was even dressed in my holiday jester outfit (santa jester hat & santa 'suit' tee shirt). A little snow doesn't bother an old climber like me (hiking up a 14,000 foot pile of snow & ice is a vacation!).

Wow! I must live in the negative convergence zone. We have less than two inches and we're at 400 feet (only a few miles south of WeightMan and Hydnsek). I was able to get out and grab a couple of caches - I was even dressed in my holiday jester outfit (santa jester hat & santa 'suit' tee shirt). A little snow doesn't bother an old climber like me (hiking up a 14,000 foot pile of snow & ice is a vacation!).

We have 4 inches. I enjoyed a nice walk over the hills to downtown Newcastle (about a mile) to mail packages and buy some groceries. Hitchhiked back. :D The roads here look pretty good, and cars were driving with no problem around Newcastle. All arterials are plowed with compact snow that I could easily drive on, if only I could get the car up the steep cul de sac to the arterial just above me. Got to watch one of my foolish neighbors try it; he soon gave up. Our street is a very popular sledding hill when it snows - steep, safe, good landing spot in circle. If they overshoot, they land in my driveway. ;) I'm hoping they plow the cul de sac tomorrow (sorry, sledders).

Edited by hydnsek

I ventured down to Marysville yesterday afternoon to take my daughter sledding at Jennings. No problems on the way down, but it was touch-n-go on the way back home. And I used to always be the designated driver when we skied at Stevens!! Too bad I don't live closer to Harriet!!

Speaking of deep, some of y'all might recognize some of these characters floundering, er, postholing through/over/in the snow just outside of Anchorage on the way to Romancing Alaska Frog Cache a couple of weeks ago. For some reason, after they found this cache they hightailed it for a cup of coffee and caching at lower elevations.

5c55e5c4-e2ad-4276-a986-57b2860cc8a2.jpg

0d55df1e-8912-40d3-8306-946fc068370a.jpg

Edited by Ladybug Kids

Happy Winter Solstice! The first day of winter? A white Christmas? All of the above!

Since Dec. 13, we've had about 18 inches here on the hill in Newcastle, more than a foot of that in the past two days. Never expected to see this much snow at my house!

Let it snow, let it snow...no, wait....

n1306059561_30238083_4045.jpg

Frosty and the reindeer feel right at home. (Who knew my snow decorating theme would prove so prophetic?)

n1306059561_30238085_4432.jpg

Next year's Winter Solstice card

n1306059561_30238082_3827.jpg

We're up to about 7-8 inches - most fell in the last day. We went for our usual morning walk today, we almost took the snowshoes. It's pretty out there.

Hydnsek - You should have been here the winter of 73-74. We had 16+ inches of wet, heavy snow dumped on us in one night. Trees, wires, antenna's were all breaking all over the area. I was in Eastgate and hiked over your way to visit firends the next day.

Speaking of deep, some of y'all might recognize some of these characters floundering, er, postholing through/over/in the snow just outside of Anchorage on the way to Romancing Alaska Frog Cache a couple of weeks ago. For some reason, after they found this cache they hightailed it for a cup of coffee and caching at lower elevations.

Heh. That snow was SO deep that we didn't just get a coffee. We needed actual espresso!

Heh. That snow was SO deep that we didn't just get a coffee. We needed actual espresso!

The funny thing is... it was warmer up there than it has been here!

I say we start packing it up and shipping it to Shydog! He (or she) could use a white christmas! <_<

You can start with the stuff clogging my driveway.

How about the streets in Timberlane, so that I can take the chains off the truck and go geocaching where there are roads that don't have snow, without ruining the chains. :)

Snow! The JOY of SNOW! It does complicate the cache hunt... but it's another reason to love ammocans hidden in the woods.

Unlike my compatriot Ladybug Kids (who straps himself to skis and then hooks himself to trail-crazy skijor hounds...)

I fire up the 'old iron' for the back-country benchmarking and cache hunts when there's lots of snow on the ground.

Aaaahhhh - the smell of two-stroke exhaust on crisp dark pre-dawn mornings...

dad477e8-40d4-46f4-8a06-68b8e41afade.jpg

A benchmark hunt a few dozen miles due south of Denali (Mt McKinley, at right) and Foraker.

4986dcd6-7173-4bb5-9835-27dabbfde2b9.jpg

Cygnet Springs, site of a Ladybug Kids geocache north-northwest of Talkeetna, Alaska.

62b55ba6-9f7a-4f26-a8e8-881274968d58.jpg

An awesome journey in search of the hide makes about any cache a memorable one...

I will grant that snow is a devilment when searching for micro or small cache placements (either in the woods or the urban jungle),

but it provides an awesome opportunity for backcountry travel!

Snow! The JOY of SNOW! It does complicate the cache hunt... but it's another reason to love ammocans hidden in the woods.

Unlike my compatriot Ladybug Kids (who straps himself to skis and then hooks himself to trail-crazy skijor hounds...)

I fire up the 'old iron' for the back-country benchmarking and cache hunts when there's lots of snow on the ground.

You Alaskans are crazy.

Here in Seattle, most people do not even own a snow shovel - definitely no skijor and very few, if any, snow mobiles.

You Alaskans are crazy.

Here in Seattle, most people do not even own a snow shovel - definitely no skijor and very few, if any, snow mobiles.

Well I'm apparently not most people. I own three, yes 3 snow shovels. One of them goes on my backpack during this time.

I have yet to convince my better half I need a snowmobile, although this year seems to be the year to argue for it. :shocked:

I'd love to try skijoring. That looks like a lot of fun.

Edited by TotemLake

Somebody didn't get the memo about shipping this stuff to TS! :shocked: There's a new three to four inches out there, and more falling. :shocked:

We're about to get out the snowshoes for a fun walk - we don't even have to drive to the mountains! :shocked:

I snowshoed around my neighborhood the other day. Some nice hills and greenbelts - almost like being in the mountains! I was taking photos for our city's online blog, Newcastle411.com.

But now I'm in Eugene, OR, where they have no snow, only rain. The drive down yesterday was great until south of Portland,where I-5 turned into crap, and they closed it for a bit. So I "sheltered in place" with friends in Tigard, and this morning had a nice final drive south. Around Salem, the snow just suddenly stops, and it's the usual Northwet.

We still have several inches of snow on the ground, lots of ice on the roads (try riding a bike), and we've had a couple of inches of snow every other night for the last week. It's snowing now (I'm in Sumas). :)

I figure I still have a couple of years before I'll get tired of this, having spent waaaaay too many years in the south and going without. Haven't you all noticed that there's been a lot more snow than average since I arrived in the PNW? Want me to stop doing my snow dance and snow call? :lol:

Edited by Pyewacket

Want me to stop doing my snow dance and snow call? :lol:

After growing up in the snow belt in Chicago I can tell you I have a lifetime fill of snow. Yes, please stop doing the snow dance and snow call. No doubt we will go days with out a paper and probably no garbage pickup this week. Do you have a sunny warm dance?

Jim