Do You Carry Any Sort Of Protection?

After watching and reading the long discussion on you greatest fears while geocaching, a number of people mentioned that they carry some form of protection. What does everyone have with them?

I prefer tro..........ahh nevermind. :anibad: I do cache with a medium size dog who can lick people to death.

I always carry a multi tool with a knife on it and a flashlight. but those are mostly for practical purposes. Countless times i've found a micro with a log shoved so far into it that i need my needle-nosed plyers to get it out...

2cc1f335-dbcb-4a7b-97a4-0afef3739dcf.jpg

I've got a 1927 Tommy Gun (complete with Fed Paperwork). Fully loaded, it weighs about 17 pounds and I'm sure it would deter any would-be muggle evil-doer. However it's far too cumbersome to carry into "Bushwack" territory so instead I bring along my wife, who, although she isn't even 5 feet tall, is FAR more terrifying and will help carry the canoe back to the Chevy Blazer :anibad: !

11245484-eec3-4d21-804d-b725e49b4e01.jpg

Edited by TinyMoon & The Pumpkin King

Which one of those would be better for "shoot first, ask questions later?

Either one. It all depends on how you carry it that would matter.

It's customary here in Idaho to check your guns at geocaching events. We had a pretty good turnout at our last one.

guns.jpg

Edited by BadAndy

I carry either a Bersa Thunderbolt 380 or a Springfield Arms 1911-A1 Champion 45. Rarley, I"ll pack one of 2 40's(XD40 or a PT140) The better half carries a SA XD9. I only break out the larger cal's when there might be larger hungry critters about but that is very rare, we usually cache in urban areas. Thank God we have never had to pull them! :anibad:

where are you guys caching that you need firearms?!?! i live in new york city, and even we dont go caching with guns...

Colorado has Bears and Mountain Lions, just to name a few (and I have walked up to a few). I dont pack much anymore though, maybe just carry the Schrade BT01 dependant upon where I go.

Due to the ever-growing threat of abduction by space aliens, or of having our brains reprogrammed by them while out in the wilderness, I wear a full-body aluminized suit with an aluminum foil helmet (all to protect me from their mind-control rays and death rays), and I carry an Acme Model TB0953 Space Alien Detector and Repulsion Device as well. Sure, it weighs over 22 pounds and is a bit bulky, but it gets the job done: I have never been abducted while carrying this device. :blink:

Oh, and I also pack a handgun, the better with which to dispatch any human geocachers who might beat us to an FTF. :anibad:

Due to the ever-growing threat of abduction by space aliens, or of having our brains reprogrammed by them while out in the wilderness, I wear a full-body aluminized suit with an aluminum foil helmet (all to protect me from their mind-control rays and death rays), and I carry an Acme Model TB0953 Space Alien Detector and Repulsion Device as well. Sure, it weighs over 22 pounds and is a bit bulky, but it gets the job done: I have never been abducted while carrying this device. :anibad:

You can avoid aliens with the patented and lightweight Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanie

afdbbookcover.png

When caching I always carry a good leatherman and a hefty pocket folding knife. Wife carries two or three Pocket folding knifes at any one time. We each carry a good Leki hiking pole to deal with snakes. I have grown to enjoy using the pole to assist in assending steep grades and steading myself crossing rocky areas..

Guns, who needs them. I think only us good guys should have them. Glock .45, Glock 9mm,

S&W .38 Chief.

When camping in the mountains and the desert I keep the Winchester Mod. 94 30-30 handy. The 12 ga. shotgun with the pistol grip is for show if an unwanted two legged visitor approaches.

Love to shoot, Practice often.

timk54

OMG!!!! I think I might change to a different hobby after reading some stuff like this. All the cachers out there carrying guns. Thats crazy! Think about it, shoot a full sized bear, it better be a big enough gun, or you're going to get ripped to shreds, and the same with any large size animal. Shooting at other people? Thats crazy too. I don't want to be out looking for some cache and have someone shoot me. That was one of the things I liked (past tense) about getting out of town to go geocaching. Now I guess theres nowhere to escape gun violence.

Edited by jamieb520

OM freakin G!!!! I think I might change to a different hobby after reading some stuff like this. All the cachers out there carrying guys. Thats freakin crazy! Think about it, shoot a full sized bear, it better be a big enough gun, or you're going to get ripped to shreds, and the same with any large size animal. Shooting at other people? Thats crazy too. I don't want to be out looking for some cache and have dome dumbass shoot me. That was one of the things I liked (past tense) about getting out of town to go geocaching. Now I guess theres nowhere to escape gun violence.

Oh ya, forgot to say, the only thing I carry for protection is pepper-spray. I'd rather pepper spray someones family pet if it comes at me in a violent manner, then shoot it. And for all you gun toting hill billies who think a hand gun is going to stop a bear, you can also get pepper spray thats designed to stop bears

OM freakin G!!!! I think I might change to a different hobby after reading some stuff like this. All the cachers out there carrying guys. Thats freakin crazy! Think about it, shoot a full sized bear, it better be a big enough gun, or you're going to get ripped to shreds, and the same with any large size animal. Shooting at other people? Thats crazy too. I don't want to be out looking for some cache and have dome dumbass shoot me. That was one of the things I liked (past tense) about getting out of town to go geocaching. Now I guess theres nowhere to escape gun violence.

Check any forum for outdoor enthusiasts of any kind and you'll see this topic come up over and over.

Depending on where you live, you pass people legally carrying a concealed weapon just about every day and never know it. Maybe the guy 2 rows up on the subway. Maybe the lady at the next table. Maybe even the grandmother testing a cantelope in the produce section.

The point is that it's concealed and legal. Properly carried, the only time you'll know about it is if you try and rob/rape/assault them.

jamieb520,

Up until your post, this has been a civil, friendly thread where gun owners have been able to talk about what they carry with them, etc. There's also been some lighthearted posts about other "forms of protection."

What I have NOT seen in this thread is any suggestion of "gun violence" or any "dumbass" who wants to shoot people. There's nothing wrong with discussing an aspect of outdoors activity among people doing so in compliance with the law.

This thread will remain a civil, on-topic discussion. If you want to have a debate about gun control and whether it's appropriate to carry a firearm, please feel free to do so in the off topic forum. If you want to share your experience in carrying a firearm WHILE GEOCACHING, please do so in this thread. If you don't carry a firearm, it's fine to post in order to say that (as in jamieb520's second post).

FAIR WARNING: People posting off topic to the original post ("What does everyone have with them?") will be asked by the moderators to refrain from further posting to the thread or be subject to other moderator action per our forum guidelines.

Edited by Keystone

Bad Andy, please read my post above, which may have appeared while you were composing yours.

There is no need for further rebuttals to the off topic postings. My advice above about remaining on-topic applies equally to everyone. Thank you.

EDIT: And thank you doubly for editing your post after reading mine! Much appreciated.

I now return everyone to their on-topic discussion.

Edited by Keystone

Why do you equate carrying a gun with gun violence? I'm not a violent person. But I do have a concealed carry permit and a S&W .357 that I occasionally carry, because there are violent people in this world.

self moderating... la de da...

Edited by DocDiTTo

I always carry a leatherman while geocaching, sometimes bring a walking/poking stick, and occasionally bring a collapsible baton.

I had to bring my rifle into play last summer to protect my geo-puppy from a huge raccoon that came after him in the middle of the day...we were just heading out, and it all happened in my driveway...it blew what should have been a great day of caching.

Jamie - NFA

Normally our hiking staff is protection enough and it works very well for guiding snakes out of our path.

If we need more we will carry a nice little Walther PPK in 32acp very easy to conceal.

In the MH when we go anywhere I carry a nice old mod.12 Whinchester in 12 guage, and if anyone wants to know, the answer is yes it does <_<

A well placed shot from any caliber >0.30 should be effective on most North American big game. Heck, I took a nice sized black bear last year with a bow and arrow.

I have not had a life-threatening encounter while geocaching, however, I like to know I'm packing sufficient deterrent for anything with violence on its mind, whether that be a critter with 2 legs or 4.

I don't just carry geocaching, but I lawfully carry a concealed handgun often. I'm far more likely to run into someone with bad intentions in town than in the woods.

Due to the ever-growing threat of abduction by space aliens, or of having our brains reprogrammed by them while out in the wilderness, I wear a full-body aluminized suit with an aluminum foil helmet (all to protect me from their mind-control rays and death rays), and I carry an Acme Model TB0953 Space Alien Detector and Repulsion Device as well. Sure, it weighs over 22 pounds and is a bit bulky, but it gets the job done: I have never been abducted while carrying this device. <_<

True story. The Alewife and I were enjoying a pint on a sidewalk seating area of a brewpub in Ann Arbor. Trying to cross the street: a young man of about 14 years wearing a foil helmet. Ah, only in Ann Arbor do the young folks have the smarts to protect themselves from alien abduction! <_<

OM freakin G!!!! I think I might change to a different hobby after reading some stuff like this. All the cachers out there carrying guns. Thats freakin crazy! Think about it, shoot a full sized bear, it better be a big enough gun, or you're going to get ripped to shreds, and the same with any large size animal. Shooting at other people? Thats crazy too. I don't want to be out looking for some cache and have dome dumbass shoot me. That was one of the things I liked (past tense) about getting out of town to go geocaching. Now I guess theres nowhere to escape gun violence.

Woo Hoo, only 32 posts until the gun/no gun debate started!

The alewife and I are interested in getting our permits here in MI. If anyone can suggest a good class/trainer, please e-mail me through my profile. We have never carried while hiking or caching but a recent encounter with two young men with hammers and questionable intentions (while hiking) has made us consider this as a viable option. I was happy to have a snarling, hackle raised lab-x next to us (that made the two gentlemen re-assess their position).

Cheers!

4HoundsBrewing

I'd carry if I could. But even if it weren't grievously difficult to get a license to carry here, my ordinary caching territory takes me across three states. And there ain't much in the way of reciprocal agreement up here in Yankeeland.

So I have a stick. And an attitude.

Also, I find it helps if you look crazy.

Shooting at other people? Thats crazy too. I don't want to be out looking for some cache and have dome dumbass shoot me

Yeah, that's been a real problem in the states. I'm so sick of having to step over bodies to get to the cache.

Anyway, I carry a hiking pole and know how to use it. I usually also have a knife of some sort along. And with all the bear around here I've been considering picking up some pepper spray.

Edited by briansnat

Juist turned in my CCW application yesterday, so hopefully in 6 months I will be a little better protected than I currently am. As it is I carry a knife and about 40 extra pounds <_< and most of the time a big stick. By November I am hoping to lose the 40 lbs and gain a 6+1 .45

I don't want to be out looking for some cache and have dome dumbass shoot me.

Well, quit trying to rape, murder, or mug every dumbass you see while caching!

Sure, it weighs over 22 pounds and is a bit bulky, but it gets the job done: I have never been abducted while carrying this device. <_<

If you had been abducted how would you know? <_<

Omigosh! <_<:rolleyes: Now that you say that, I do remember that I have had a lot of "lost time" experiences and mysterious "blackouts" the past few months, and I keep having memories of lying on a cold stainless steel table, and a gray face with big eyes hovering over me with surgical tools.... Could it be? Eeek! <_<

And, more seriously, I never carry any kind of weapon-like device other than a pocketknife or walking stick, even when in the backcountry areas in the Jackson, WY area near the ID/WY border. I have even camped in grizzly bear country (in Yellowstone) with no special protection. I tend not to worry about such things. If something comes after me, I guess I will ask my angels to protect me.

jamieb520,

Up until your post, this has been a civil, friendly thread where gun owners have been able to talk about what they carry with them, etc. There's also been some lighthearted posts about other "forms of protection."

What I have NOT seen in this thread is any suggestion of "gun violence" or any "dumbass" who wants to shoot people. There's nothing wrong with discussing an aspect of outdoors activity among people doing so in compliance with the law.

This thread will remain a civil, on-topic discussion. If you want to have a debate about gun control and whether it's appropriate to carry a firearm, please feel free to do so in the off topic forum. If you want to share your experience in carrying a firearm WHILE GEOCACHING, please do so in this thread. If you don't carry a firearm, it's fine to post in order to say that (as in jamieb520's second post).

FAIR WARNING: People posting off topic to the original post ("What does everyone have with them?") will be asked by the moderators to refrain from further posting to the thread or be subject to other moderator action per our forum guidelines.

The thread is called 'what kind of protection do you carry' not 'how big is your gun' I forgot to put in that thread that I carry pepper spray, as my answer as to what I carry. Guns aren't the only form of protection. Gun violence? If you're not at a stooting range, violence is the only thing that can come from carrying a gun. If a person who's carrying a gun is carrying it without intent on shooting someone, why carry it? Makes me glad that I live in Canada, theres still guns here, but not everyone and their dog has one.