What Would You Do?

Cornerstone4

One thing I know for sure is that everyone here has an opinion...just like the saying goes. ^_^

So, I figured I would ask for them. (Don't make me sorry!) :laughing:

I have had a lot of requests for my Cachers 4 Christ coin, which I am all out of. I have some ideas for a new coin, but haven't had time to finish it up. So, I decided to run some more of my old coin so I would have something available.

Since I had told everyone that I was only making 250 of my coin originally, I feel that I need to honor that. So, since I was using the same dies, which say 2005, I decided to add two-tone plating, and changed the color on the ring to a deeper purple. This, in effect, gave me a series 2 coin.

Well, I got the coins today...and the two-tone plating was missing. The coins are being re-done. It is cheaper to make new ones, than it is to send these back for rework. The purple ring is obviously darker, but other than that, they are the same as my first batch. To top it off, I didn't have them change the numbering. Since they are not trackable, I figured I would have 1-250 of version 1, and 1-250 of version 2.

So, here is where your opinion comes in. I am going to use these to drop in caches, rather than just throw them away. My question is this...does anyone really care about the numbers on their coins if they aren't trackable? I can grind all the numbers off, but I don't really want to.

I know for instance Mauison got S/N 100 of the first coin. Would you be upset if there was another coin number 100 out there?

I'm just curious what others think.

I have a Cornerstone coin and it is one of my favorites. I don't think it is necessary to remove the numbers from the coins. I personally don't care about the numbers or if you make another batch. What I do care about is a 2006 Cornerstone geocoin.

That is my lonely opinion.

I know for instance Mauison got S/N 100 of the first coin. Would you be upset if there was another coin number 100 out there?

Nope, I wouldn't be upset at all. The numbers on a coin aren't really important to me. Yeah, 100 is cool but whose coin it is has more meaning. :laughing:

I don't see any problem with the duplicate numbers when they aren't trackable, especially since it was the minter's fault. In the future though, you might want to use consecutive numbering, or an edition designator (e.g. TT001 - TT250). Duplicate numbers mess up my tracking site. :laughing:

The first thing I think is that you shold have kept your word (unless you paid out of pocket and never sold them in which case, no harm unless your trades relied on that 250 limit) and only made 250 of the coin. Same die = Same coin. Some think that Same Die different finish or metal = completely new coin. I guess the jury is still out on the issue.

so in order of best to worst.

Destroy the 250 error coins.

Mark the error coins to make them unique. Use a metal stamp and put 1 in front of the number or something.

Lastly

Any coin with a number can be tracked. Perhaps not on this site but on other sites, present and future. If you release them with the same number you are going to duplicate future logs. So last of all is to drop them just like they are.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I had something similar happen when I had my coins made. I ordered 200 gold, 75 antique copper (LE), 25 antique nickel (XLE), and 1 silver (mine). I bought 500 tracking numbers, and to make sure there was no mistake, I only gave the minter 301 numbers to put on the coins.

When I received the coins, there were 25 extra antique nickel coins. They had run out of tracking numbers, so the space for the tracking number was blank. I decided I needed to honor my statement about only having 25 of these out in the world, so I chose to give the blank 25 coins away as gifts or drop into caches.

I think you should do something to your new 250 coins to make them different from the first batch. Mark them, drill them, add to the tracking number in some way, remove the tracking number, etc. Just something to make them unique, even if it's a tiny little thing.

And where do I sign up to get a 2006 Cornerstone? :0)

Heh, can I get #7 of the mistake coin since you son has the real #7? :laughing:

As long as they're noticably different, I don't see a real problem. What you probably should have done was use a different metal. Then it wouldn't be an issue.

If they're not noticably different, consider grinding the numbers out.

I don't see any problem with the duplicate numbers when they aren't trackable, especially since it was the minter's fault. In the future though, you might want to use consecutive numbering, or an edition designator (e.g. TT001 - TT250). Duplicate numbers mess up my tracking site. :laughing:

Yep, your tracking site was one of my concerns! On the corrected version, I had them shift to 251-500.

The first thing I think is that you shold have kept your word (unless you paid out of pocket and never sold them in which case, no harm unless your trades relied on that 250 limit) and only made 250 of the coin. Same die = Same coin. Some think that Same Die different finish or metal = completely new coin. I guess the jury is still out on the issue.

so in order of best to worst.

Destroy the 250 error coins.

Mark the error coins to make them unique. Use a metal stamp and put 1 in front of the number or something.

Lastly

Any coin with a number can be tracked. Perhaps not on this site but on other sites, present and future. If you release them with the same number you are going to duplicate future logs. So last of all is to drop them just like they are.

Destroy the coins? :laughing:

The "error" is a different color and lack of two-tone metal. Not a bad die strike. Not a bad enamel job. Not a misspelling on the coins. Therefore, there's fundamentally nothing wrong with the coins. It's just not what was ordered. Regardless of how the error happened, it caused a setback, and now C4 can benefit from roundabout good fortune. Don't scrape anything C4, go with your plan and drop them off in caches as sig item swag.

Ladies and gentlemen, announcing the new Cornerstone4 Version 1a coins! Available only in caches, not in dumpsters.

Thanks Yimey,

You always bring a smile to my face.

I haven't figured out how to post multiple quotes and address them individually, so I will just answer and explain here...

I funded my original run out of pocket. This was before all of the feeding frenzy started by several months. However, once my trading was done, and I had what was available at the time, I had many new collectors contact me asking me to trade for stuff I already had, which I happily did.

Then, I did list some on ebay, and added a PayPal link to my listing on the cointracking site. The simple fact is, many people just didn't have any coins to trade, and were happy to buy some. (In fact, one active member here bought several from me through the coin tracking site, and then turned a nice profit on ebay.) :laughing:

Anyway, although I find I rarely agree with RK on these forums, I do agree with a good part of what he posted here today. (I'm sorry, I am assuming RK is a he here, my aplogies if I am wrong.)

I did originally state that there were only going to be 250 of my first coin, and I intend to honor that. However, having dual plating, and a different color band is different enough in my mind for this purpose. (Sorry if you don't agree.) I may think differently if the original 250 were really hot items now, and were commanding top dollar from collectors...but they aren't. I don't think I am diluting the market by making a modified coin...and I know that there are some out there that will have to have both, (or all 3 as it turns out.)

However, so as not to cause problems for those that have registered their coins on Marky's site, any coin I drop in a cache will have the numbers removed.

Here is a pic showing the slight color change.

Thanks for the input.

6778d254-6c3a-4f31-a5af-f6b2ab7b1994.jpg

I should add one note:

I have an inbox full of emails from cachers wanting to know when I will get more coins. I will not be doing any trading with these "error" coins.

The new coins with the correct plating will be here in a few weeks, and then they are fair game.

Dave

This is my idea....

1. If there is enough room... try to get a "M" placed before each one signifying the "mistake" or some other number or letter. Then do what you want (trade, hand out, drop in caches).

2. Grind the numbers off, then you can use a substance like Braco to polish the number area and it will be a mirror finish. Then use them as swag or toss in with coin trades, etc.

3. Don't worry about it. You didn't mess it up and why stress over getting the coins.

Bottom line is this... do what makes you happy, not what everyone else wants... because six weeks down the line, the only person you should be blaming for the wrong decision is you, if that happens. When it all comes down to it. They turned into a version of the coin, mistake or not, so take advantage of it.

Sounds like duplicate number may or may not be a problem. You might want to check with MIGO on how they went about removing the numbers from there coins that had bad tracking numbers.

To recover your cost of fixing the coins you could always sell a couple with something engraved where the number was to make it special. With the remaining coins have fun placing them out in the world.

I myself have no problem with the duplicate numbers but I can see where others will.

Team Sand Dollar

I'm still waiting for you to post the pic of you and your Achievment coins you sent to Tess! :laughing:

Wrong thread.

My other $0.02: once you correct the numbers, drop them in caches. I've been droping more and more coins (activated and non) in caches lately. Remember the feeling when you first found a coin? I want to pass that along to the newbies.

I'm still waiting for you to post the pic of you and your Achievment coins you sent to Tess! ^_^

Wrong thread.

My other $0.02: once you correct the numbers, drop them in caches. I've been droping more and more coins (activated and non) in caches lately. Remember the feeling when you first found a coin? I want to pass that along to the newbies.

Maybe the wrong thread...but I saw that picture. However, I heard about another one...THAT was the one I was talking about! :D:D

I am looking forward to dropping these coins off. The problem will be finding that many caches that aren't micros! (Of course we did manage a way around that didn't we.) :laughing:

I'm already impressed with your willingness to go through the trouble of listening to our opinions. :laughing: Seeing that the colors are clearly different between the two "editions", there's no real harm in seeing the second batch in caches, even if you decide not to grind the numbers out. If you want to go through the trouble of putting them in baggies with an explanation that these should NOT be tracked on Marky's site, then that would be a bonus.

Sounds like duplicate number may or may not be a problem. You might want to check with MIGO on how they went about removing the numbers from there coins that had bad tracking numbers.

I received a reworked MIGO coin today - The old number has been ground off, the area blackened and a new code engraved. (I received another coin recently it appears that the number was glued in place)

Edited to correct previously incorrect description of MIGO modification.

Edited by tokencollector

Send me a few - I'd be happy to release them in WV. I'll send you a few ScoutingWV poker chips to keep and a few to place in caches. I'm also getting ready to release some of the coins I have activated but not moved.

BTW - the pics look like two different coins to me. I'd say you have two differnt runs, and two different versions.

...Anyway, although I find I rarely agree with RK on these forums...

I've noticed that and actually find it interesting since we seem to have some common ground but don't come to the same conclusions. However it's a big world, I don't think either of us will fall off the edge for not agreeing all that much. :laughing:

The community hasn't come to a concencus on what a different coin is. I happen to think the same die is the same coin but it can have variations. That would make the 2005 Idaho and the 2006 Idaho the same coin, though I think they are different, so I've not got the philosophy ironed out to my own satisfaction.

Still having read what you have said and based on your own view that the coins from the same die with the same finish would be the same coin you should destory them and keep your word. In your shoes that is what I would do.

Learning from this and some others this has happend too though I will try to remember to state what happens with error coins because like you I would hate to lose out on them.

...Anyway, although I find I rarely agree with RK on these forums...

I've noticed that and actually find it interesting since we seem to have some common ground but don't come to the same conclusions. However it's a big world, I don't think either of us will fall off the edge for not agreeing all that much. ^_^

:D Not coming to the same conclusions is not all that surprising. You should see our Wednesday night Bible study group! From the outside, it would be easy to think we should all be in agreement about most things. Although they are rarely, if ever, hostile, our discussions are frequently very heated! :D

Anyway, we still don't see eye-to-eye, but I sincerely appreciate your feedback, and the feedback of others in this thread. If I were to trade, and or sell these coins, since they have the same numbers, I would feel I am going back on my word. However, since I have decided to leave them in caches, and I am crossing out the numbers, I don't feel bad about not destroying them. (I actually placed one in a cache I just got FTF on.)

I took the "X" stamp out of our set of metal stamping dies, and struck all 3 numbers on the coin. It was very clean and easy, and didn't detract from the coin at all. You cannot tell what the original number was.

When I get the correct coins, I will be trading and or doing something unmentionable on these forums with those. :laughing:

Again, I don't feel bad about this either. The original 250 coins are still unique, and won't be any easier to get. And, I feel they will be even more differentiated than either the Vacman V1 or V2 coins, and the same with the first 2 Dhobby coins. Both take a trained eye to tell the difference.

Thanks again for all the feedback from everyone. I'll leave the thread open in case anyone wants to add anything, and will lock it later this week.

Happy caching!

Edited after I was swatted with pasta! :D

Edited by Cornerstone4
I took the "X" stamp out of our set of metal stamping dies, and struck all 3 numbers on the coin. It was very clean and easy, and didn't detract from the coin at all. You cannot tell what the original number was.

A very clean and simple solution. You've solved the problem of duplicate serial numbers and made the error-coins less valuable than the originals, so folks who do have the originals shouldn't be feeling bad about it. Good way to put those error-coins to use!

I disagree with Renegade Knight. different colors or metals are a different coin.

Even though I would not mind I think you should protect the collectability of the original customers.

So I suggest you get out your drill. Drill a hole in the coin right through the tracking number. then you would have a coin that is still great swag and your original customers still have thier collectablity.

You are just gonna need a few good drill bits and a few hours of spare time to drill

I like how you handled it Dave...good job...now come caching in Idaho instead of Montana (yes I heard...) and drop off one of those error coins in one of my caches...like the one in our front yard :o and bring a Kelia and Hula Bum coin with you too and if nothing else put me down for a 2006 trade with you if you would...oops don't mean to start a mad panic here and have everyone saying put me down for one....oooohhhhhh ohhhhhhhh I hear them cooooommmmmming.......<stampede>.........my time to exit...

I think your solution is a good one. It would be a shame to waste good coins, and between the different colour and destroyed numbers the v1 and v1a shouldn't be confused. I had wanted one of your coins for a while and was happy when I finally managed to get one from a cacher selling a collection. I didn't even know how many were made, and it didn't matter to me. Now that I know another version is on the way I'll be keeping my eyes open for the buying/trading thread. :unsure:

So now, we have the Cachers 4 Christ XXX coins? Hmmm, interesting (-;

So now, we have the Cachers 4 Christ XXX coins? Hmmm, interesting (-;

B) Yes, it's the first adult rated Christian coin! :ph34r:

I'm glad I didn't use the "6" stamp to strike over the numbers! :ph34r:

I have had a lot of requests for my Cachers 4 Christ coin, which I am all out of

[...]

Hmmm, WWJD (what would Jeremy do) ? :laughing:

Aw c'mon, you knew somebody would respond with that....

I have had a lot of requests for my Cachers 4 Christ coin, which I am all out of

[...]

Hmmm, WWJD (what would Jeremy do) ? :laughing:

Aw c'mon, you knew somebody would respond with that....

:laughing:

If it would have happened two weeks ago...I could have asked him! :ph34r:

7e75c780-2d5b-46b8-b10a-6090e260230c.jpg