Geocaching Alone

I've done 4 and 5 terrain caches without a thought of having another cacher along. There were others that I wanted to have someone there to notify the next of kin. It's really an individual thing. Go with whatever makes you comfortable and enhances the fun of the cache.

I do a vast majority of caching alone, when I do have company it's my kids. Some are very easy and some are hard. I always try to look at a web map to view the lay of the land so I have an idea of what I am getting myself into. I have turned around many times because I did not feel comfortable in the area. Company would be nice but it is not that big of a deal for me.

:) I am a (nearly) 72 year old newbee and appreciate your question. As much as I love this new found sport (23 finds), I also realize my limitations. I am really thankful for those caches that are within 500 feet or so from the nearest parking area. Thats not to say that there shouldn't also be those caches that give hikers the enjoyment they too are seeking. I have a couple of caches in this area I wish to find but will not attempt it untill I have someone to go with me. The number of stars for Terrian are really important to me. Use good judgement and as previously stated "read the logs". I have yet to hide any caches, obviously they will be accessable to my "older and/or physically challenged" fellow cachers.

I cache alone about 95% of the time. If I'm doing a high-terrain cache, I make sure someone knows where I am at, what cache I am going after, and what time to expect a call from me letting them know I am done. I figure then if I am very late giving the person a call, they will notify someone. If I find I am running more than 1/2 hour late, give or take, I will give them a call to let them know an updated ETA.

On that same note, I usually just check my phone every 5 or 10 minutes to make sure I still have reception. I do get a little worried if I find myself in an area where there is no reception.

Let someone know where you are going. You may want to look at this thread. Very applicable for high terrain caches.

I highly reccommend this book. For high terrain caches.

Always trust your judgement, if you don't feel comfortable hiing to a cache turn around. Please carry a whistle, the human voice carries for 1/4 of mile and a whistle without a "pea" can be heard for 1 mile. You''ll lose your voice long before you get tired from blowing a whistle.

Recently a hunter found a skeleton in the woods near me. That thought crossed my mind Saturday, as I was crossing a briar filled swamp by myself. The article lead might read, "The bleached bones of a hiker were found yesterday in a wooded swampland tract. Clutched in his right hand was a gps reciever..."

For me it's the parking lot micros that bother me the most when I'm alone. It seems like it would draw less attention if other where there to distract muggles.

Edited to add: Or at least a lookout would be nice.

Edited by rynd

For me it's the parking lot micros that bother me the most when I'm alone. It seems like it would draw less attention if other where there to distract muggles.

I've tried telling that to my wife, and she refuses to believe me. I figured a man and woman looking around for something looks way less suspicious than just one creepy man nosing around everywhere.

I'm usually alone when caching, one day I did a 5/3 eight stage multi solo, I couldn't believe it when I completed it on the first try. It was very rewarding though as I think only one other cacher had completed it solo, the rest of them did it in in groups of 2-5 or more.

It's very satisfying to get a really difficult one on your own.

I agree. I usually have no problem doing long hikes by myself. I really don't like attempting urban caches alone. :rolleyes:

I don't think I would try a '4' or '4.5' cache by myself, however.

I was wondering how you can tell if you need to take someone with you caching? I did a 3.5 the other day and really wished I had someone with me. Other times a 3.5 doesn't seem to be a problem. Any suggestions?

The assumption is that the trek would be safer with another person along? That's possibly true, but there are a few things to consider, including whether it's fair to expose another person to whatever the risks are that you're trying to mitigate. What if your safety partner is the one who gets into trouble--you may have the chops necessary to complete the adventure alone, but can you rescue your partner if need be?

Then there are the dynamics of group decision making to consider. Differences in ability and leadership can combine in unwholesome ways. Suppose there's a critical decision to be made and you know the right answer, but are nonconfrontational. Your partner is dead wrong, but is an aggressive type who can't stand to lose an argument. You shut up to avoid a fight and off the cliff you go.

Just food for thought. Whether or not to hike in a group 'for safety' is not a totally clearcut decision.

Wow, see that! I thought I was alone on the "creepy man" feeling. While just breaking the double digits on finds, I have put many more printouts in my file marked "too public". If the cache is at a monument or such, I will normally stop and spend a few moments reading it, then I'm off without even looking for the container. There was one time I saw the container, and still left it be.

With my unerring ability to turn a 1/1 into a 4/4 I really should have a keeper with me when I cache. On more than a few times when caching with Renegade Knight he has asked me what the H*ll I thought I was doing. I can't help it. I think it must be a genetic defect. Sometimes when I finally find the cache I consider what I have done and wonder how I have survived this long. I have tried to be smarter when I am caching, but I don't think you can overcome a genetic handicap.

:(

I usually cache alone or with my dogs. I don't think twice about being alone in the woods, but as a female I sometimes wonder if I'm being stupid to cache alone in more urban parks (where there are true creepy men!). I always take my dogs when I'm not sure, and always have my phone whenever I cache. It makes me mad that I even have to think like that, but unfortunately it's a reality.

The important thing is that if you don't feel comfortable, don't be a hero. Turn around.

That pretty much sums it up for me. I'm comfortable with just about any degree of hiking, but I've walked away from a cache where I was going solo and discovered that retrieving the cache would require breaking one of my cardinal rules: don't climb alone, don't cave alone. No biggie - logged my DNF and said I'd return when I had backup. Came back a couple weeks later accompanied by another cacher, and we both had fun taking turns finding and retrieving the cache to get our smilies.

Nothing wrong with calling off a cache hunt and returning with more people, better gear, extra daylight - whatever makes the hunt more comfortable/fun/safe in your eyes. Or if it's a "Green Eggs and Ham" cache (I would not hunt that ammo box / I would not, could not, with a fox / I would not hunt it from a boat / I would not hunt it with a goat / I would not hunt it here or there / I would not hunt it anywhere...) ...errrr, sorry - where was I...? Oh yes - if it's a hide that you'll just never feel comfortable hunting for whatever reason, just ignore it. There's 244,575 active caches in the world right now - it's okay to skip a few of them. :anibad:

This is exactly right. A single, 6 foot 3, bearded man, snooping around urban areas is far more noticeable, than several such hunters. I think nothing of trotting off ten miles or more into the mountains by myself, but place a micro cache on a street corner, and I will tremble in fear :D

I always try to bring my daughters along to urban caches. They make for excellent distraction. :)

I've been hiking/backpacking solo most of my life. I never worry about the terrains or remote locations of the places I go. I have always known the inherent dangers involved but its the chances I take to do the things I love.

Since I started caching nothing is different. I enjoy myself and don't think about the 'what-ifs'. I always carry survival gear and I feel just as safe on the top of a mountain alone as I do in the local mall, maybe safer.

I do about 80% of my Geocaching alone, I almost always wear a vest of many pockets with all my 'stuff' plus everything I need should things go wrong including an Adventure Medical Pocket Survival Pak, a Leatherman Super Tool and Space Blankets plus water packs. In the winter vest goes into a backpack and extra clothing is added. On the seat of the truck is a note with my destination on it and guesstimated time of return the down side.

This is a new sport to me (us). I do most of my caches with my sons (10 & almost 14). If we don't find it the first time I may go back and do some looking by myself.

It gives me time to spend with the boys & out of the house. Great opportunities to have chat's about life with the boys.

Wife thinks it a great hobby too, gets us out from under her hair! She has joined us a little.

The important thing is that if you don't feel comfortable, don't be a hero. Turn around.

That pretty much sums it up for me. I'm comfortable with just about any degree of hiking, but I've walked away from a cache where I was going solo and discovered that retrieving the cache would require breaking one of my cardinal rules: don't climb alone, don't cave alone. No biggie - logged my DNF and said I'd return when I had backup. Came back a couple weeks later accompanied by another cacher, and we both had fun taking turns finding and retrieving the cache to get our smilies.

Nothing wrong with calling off a cache hunt and returning with more people, better gear, extra daylight - whatever makes the hunt more comfortable/fun/safe in your eyes. Or if it's a "Green Eggs and Ham" cache (I would not hunt that ammo box / I would not, could not, with a fox / I would not hunt it from a boat / I would not hunt it with a goat / I would not hunt it here or there / I would not hunt it anywhere...) ...errrr, sorry - where was I...? Oh yes - if it's a hide that you'll just never feel comfortable hunting for whatever reason, just ignore it. There's 244,575 active caches in the world right now - it's okay to skip a few of them. :D

I agree with briansnat wholeheartedly! Trust your instincts. If I suddenly find myself not feeling comfortable, I DO turn around, immediately.

And Munin... I will be reciting your "Green Eggs and Ham" cache verse on the way back to the car... lol! Very funny but also very true! :)

I mostly cache with my husband/and or kids. Some of the trails that we've been on are very remote and I'm not sure that I'd feel secure enough to rely only on my cell phone reception to ensure that I can call someone for help if I'm in some sort of trouble. Also, I've been on some trails where I've passed some shady looking characters. If I were alone, it would have given me a bit of the willies.

I would advise anyone to just use common sense. Male or female, if you're going to a cache or hiking in general that is in a remote location or could involve strenuous terrain or risk of injury...let someone know where you're going and what time you expect to be back. (You might still be dead...but at least someone will know about it. LOL)Take along a basic first aid kit, plenty of water, a few trail bars wouldn't hurt either. Most of all..like others have said, don't do a cache that is above and beyond your *actual* not your *imagined* capabilities.

One thing that you probably noticed is that, the ratings are highly subjective. What's difficult to get to/find for the hider, might not necessarily be at all for you, and vise versa. I usually cache alone too, but generally, it's the high difficulty ones, not the high terrain ones, that make me wish I had someone to help find it with me. Although, I avoid terrain situations where being solo is a very bad idea, unless I have someone with me. I'll definately agree with everyone emphasising safety, too. If you don't like the situation, then either find another way, or turn back (I do this alot, steep hills and ankle twists are bad things...). Anywho, just my $.02 on this.

I often geocache alone if it's during the week; if it's not a school day, I end up with two or three kids; weekends we go as a family. ;)

Even though we mostly do suburban caches, even these can present challenges. I took the kids out one day to find a cache along the river. Since getting the cache required reaching out over the water while hanging onto a tree limb, I gave my cellphone to the oldest kid and told her to call 911 if I fell in. Fortunately, I didn't but now when I take the kids out, they all joke about who gets the phone in case I need help! ;)

No heroic measures to find a cache for me. Taking along wife and boys (2 years and 3 years old) puts many caches out of reach. When I look in the cache direction and the 3 year old on my shoulders goes "I am scared" it is time to turn around. But some day, when they're older, we'll be back!!!