What Was The Last Thing You

UOTrackers

I've been putting together my swag bag, things I think are neat and would like to find, but I'm curious what other people find and leave.

So what was the last item you CHOSE to take out of a cache?

What did you put in in return?

Just to get this rolling....the last thing I took was a small wooden ladybug, signature item. I left a brand new sharpie marker in return.

My 5 year old son chooses what comes out. Last cache that was 3 marbles. We help him choose what to leave. That was a new role of camo rope. Typicaly we take toys. I then look at what is in a cache and lead my son towards choosing a toy for caches with mostly adult stuff or an adult item for caches with mostly toys or geojunk.

My last cache was one I wasn't expecting to go on so I didn't bring any trade items. However, by the time my wife (who doesn't normally cache) and I got there her hands were just about frozen. We took the hand warmers... for those caches in cold climate, that's probably a really good thing to leave.

We usually have our four year old with us, so that means taking toys or tools (he has his own tool box, and is gradually replacing his fake tools with real stuff from caches). What we leave depends on the size of the cache container and how much is in it. Sometimes we leave two or three little things as a trade for one bigger thing, but most of what we leave comes from Target (neat section of dollar items) or the outdoors section of Walmart.

It took me a while to track down the last time that I traded. It was May 9, 2004. I was headed to Birmingham, AL to meet up for a day of caching with my brother BuffoBob, who was there on business.

I stopped in Athens and found a cache. I removed an inexpensive St Christopher medalion and a TB and left a packaged beanie baby and a TB.

I used to trade items every time I veisited a cache. Most of the time, what I took out of one cache would be traded into the very next one. Now, I rarely trade. I generally will only trade out something if I think my wife might like it, or if it's a cheap carabiner. For some reason, I can't pass those up.

I trade at just about every cache.

The item I picked up yesterday was a small book called "Parlor Games". This book is hilarious; I am laughing out loud at almost every page. It's probably one of the best things I've ever taken from a cache. Now that I'm reading it, I fear that the koala beanie baby I left in trade was not good enough!

The thing I picked up before that was more typical of trade stuff I take: a glow-in-the-dark eyeball superball. With bloodshot lines and everything.

Trading is fun. :lol:

I still trade sometimes when my daughter is with me, or at a remote geocache where it's nice to take a break at the cool spot you hiked to. Looking back through our records, it appears that our last trade was in October at a cache that took us on a 2 mile hike in our favorite park. Little Leprechaun took a pair of earrings and left a stuffed dog that she had taken from a cache in 2002. It is interesting to see the difference in what an 8 year old traded for then, vs. what she likes now, as she is nearly 12 but thinks she is nearly 16.

This is great, keep it coming! In the beginning I really didn't "get" it and bought some cheesey stuff, now I want to go back to those caches and replace the items I dropped. Yesterday I was at michaels and found some great stuff for a $, Address books, notecards, mini notebooks with pens. I try not to buy more than $5.00 worth at a time and then I check to see how the things go over with the next couple of cachers who visit the cache. I haven't seen too many of my things picked up, so I'm improving on them. I have a ton of teenie beanies still in packages form about 5-6 years ago, I wonder if they'd be a nice find?

Anyway I love hearing what you took and put in last it's neat!

I was at a cache today and it had hardly anything in it so I..

T-2 old golf balls

L-Rain Poncho, Manicure Kit, Hot Wheel, Corn Skewers, Eyeglass Wipes, Lip Gloss

Now it's a full cache and worthy of somebody finding after walking a mile or so to get it. All that only cost about $3.00. It is possible to put useful stuff in caches and do it for cheap. I find that the .50 cent nail clippers are always the first to go when I put them in a cache.

Michaels IS a great place to get items from, Check out their sale areas, Not just the dollar areas, but the discontinued Items, I found a bunch of cool dog related things 2 for a dollar. They also have great party bags, where you can get the miniature balls (like hacky sacks) and other better than gumball machine items. I find I drop more of these inexpensive things into a cache, to make up for the fact that they are inexpensive.

One of the last caches I visited was "Snakes Alive." Researching it revealed the cache had a pair of rattlesnake ear rings. I wanted these for my wife. We did not get to the cache for a week. Sure enough, they were still there. We took the ear rings and left a swiss army style knife in a sheath. I was happy to see it was taken by the very next visitor to the cache. :D

Last thing I took was a cute little rocking horse ornament. What I left was:

a Geocacher U Ornament

36533586_F_store.jpg

(seemed apropos since I finally got to use my spiffy new snowhoes with that cache :D)

and a CacheSwag Button

20612104_F_store.jpg

I've mostly been leaving caching-themed items lately - things like the above, or GC.com logo stuff (patches, lapel pins, compasses) from the Groundspeak store. I think they're fun, and they seem pretty popular with subsequent finders.

(Also sorta nice that these all come from within the geocaching community - CYBret runs Geocacher University, DigiFerret does the CacheSwag designs, and of course the Groundspeak products help support Geocaching.com.)

The last thing I took was a promotional item for AmSouth Bank that I'll leave elsewhere. Generally, I don't take stuff. I don't know why, I just don't. I tend to leave mini carabiners with either a key ring or a couple of feet of parachute cord (a lot of handy without a lot of expense) or promotional stuff from the local E-911 office (pencils/pens that change colors, travel coffee mugs, stash-away tote bags, county maps, and whatever else I can get).

The last thing I remember taking was this object:

cf83a635-531d-4480-aea6-49460bdcfece.jpg

It's a plushie fish skeleton. WITH WHISKERS. That was so unbearably weird, I had to have it. Unfortunately, I wasn't carrying much that day, so I ended up leaving all I had...several sig items (old coins).

^ I've seen those in pet stores, they're dog/cat toys!

Last thing we pulled out of a cache was about a cup of water! :(

It was the fourth or fifth one we've found like that in the past two weeks. We dry them best we can and let the cache owners know, but sadly, it seems that these caches go without maintenance more often than not. :)

The last object we pulled out was a mini flashlight (always good for those late night dog walks), for which we traded a mini clamp.