Thinking Of Changing My Name

I'm going to add my vote to don't change. For one, don't let the bigots get to you. Second, it's becoming way to politically-incorrect to mention anything about church, and every time we give in to that, they take another mile. Stick with churchcampdave, and shorten to CCD or CCDave in your micro logs.

I did change my name early in my geocaching career. I guess it took me a while before I could think up a good name. Anyway when I did most but not all my finds converted over. The ones that didn't i had to go back in and relog under the new name. Since I only had 24 back then it was no big deal. Now I would have to kill myself. :blink:

ps keep the name.

Mr Bigot

Peter, Paul and Mary

Listen, Mr. Bigot, listen to me, I'll give you a lesson in history

Listen while I tell you that the foreigners you hate

Are the very same people made America great.

Oh listen Mr. Bigot, uh-huh...listen Mr. Bigot

In 1492, just to see what he could see

Columbus, who was an Italian, set out across the sea

He said "Isabella, baby, the world is round

And the USA's just awaitin' to be found."

(Chorus)

Oh listen Mr. Bigot, (well, some of my best friends are)

Listen Mr. Bigot (oh, they like to live with their own kind)

Well when the King of England started pushin' Yanks around

They had a little trouble up in Boston town

But a brave, black, Crispus Attucks was the man

The first one to fall when the fightin' began.

(Chorus)

Oh listen Mr. Bigot,

(They can't help it. It's their cultural point of view)

Listen Mr. Bigot (They all look alike to me!)

Now Bigot, you're taking one hell of a chance

Your good friends the Duponts, came over from France

Another thing I'm sure will be news to you

The first Mr. Bigot was a foreigner too.

(Chorus)

You don't like blacks, you don't like Jews

Well if there's anyone you do like, it sure is news

You don't like Poles, Hispanics too

Anyway they serve you up, we don't like you

(Chorus)

Oh listen Mr. Bigot,

(Well there we were on the beach, just trying to get some sun

And up comes a busload of them, well first they got these boxes that play this music, I mean it's not even in English.

Then they take out these stoves or hibachi's or something

The smoke was dreadful, the smell was even worse.

I wouldn't let my daughter marry one, ya know?)

Listen Mr. Bigot

How about...

"Church Camp Dave's Not Here"...

I am one of those in-between people. I grew up going to church and the years in youth group were some of the more <twisted> influential I ever had. I loved those people, and we had lots of fun...BUT...

I can't stand those who preach that they have the "only" way...and I will NOT cram my beliefs down your throat. There is a biblical quote somewhere about not judging others...?

I say keep your name the way it is...and have a small stamp made with your name in size "1" font or something and use that to sign your micros... :ph34r:

(This post is only perhaps half serious)

In my short years of caching I have encountered several instances, I wouldn't say a lot, of plain old fashioned bigotry because from my name I am obviously one of "those religious people". Sounds a lot like "those people" doesn't it? Didn't this phrase get some politician in trouble a while back?

Not since grade school have i encountered this kind of abuse simply because of a name.

I know that some of "those religious people" come on pretty strong and seem to make it their business to try to ban anything they disagree with. I am not one of them. Thus, to get out from under the "broad brush" (and because my current name won't fit on MOST of the logs found nowadays in the ubiquitous micros), I am considering a name change and would like opinions.

I am considreing:

Nothing Just Dave (NJD)- this is an inside joke from 20 years ago

Just Generic Dave (JGD)

my ham call- (a little concerned that it makes finding personal info a little TOO easy)

Generic Dave (GD)- well, that MIGHT be a problem...

CCD or CCDave- I use these already on micros

The Village Idiot (TVI)- hams would understand the abbreviation

Ghost Buster- refers to my vehicle's unusual equipment

I'm really not very creative in these things...

Any suggestions?

(I asked for it) :ph34r:

don't do it

ChurchCampDave,

Is this a problem stemming from the fact that you are a Christian?

If so, hold your head high and accept the persecution because of your beliefs! Bring it on I say!

Why should you hide who you are cause some people out there don't like it!

I recently changed my name because I felt I should be more outgoing about my faith. The bible tells us to praise God in ALL things that we do. So I changed my name to reflect that.

Does that mean I am going to start posts about the end of the world and where is your soul going? No. But I am not going to hide my beliefs either because it isn't politically correct to do so. In fact the more it becomes politically incorrect the more I want to do it.

Edited by ICHTHYS

Hmm.... CCD? I think of Charge Coupled Device - that fancy camera thing several people use to take pictures through telescopes.......

Seriously, keep the name you have. By standing firm in your resolve (and the obvious support of many here as well), it begins to silence "them".

Katrina

AstroD-Team

All great posts.

Thanks to all.

I have changed my name, but not really because of "bigotry" so much as just to be different. I agree with most that I should not let "them" win and furthermore, I'm probably making more out of it than it really is.

I was watching Monty Python last night and inspiration hit me.

I might even rotate names like most of the kids do on MSN messenger.

I think it will be a hoot.

So for now I'm "Confuse-A-Cat" (till I decide to change it again)

An interesting aside...

I wondered if, when you change your name, someone else can take your old name...

Yep.

So I guess now I have an official sock puppet... I didn't want my old name taken, so i registered it too. I am actually surprised that the name can be reused so quickly.

I still wonder... Can more than one account share the same name?

All great posts.

Thanks to all.

I have changed my name, but not really because of "bigotry" so much as just to be different.  I agree with most that I should not let "them" win and furthermore, I'm probably making more out of it than it really is.

I'm confused... :lol: :lol: :P

I always liked the name ChurchCampDave. I thought it was unique and it had a nice ring to it. I'm not into Church but I still liked the name. (I do like Camping though and I have two friends named Dave.)

I also respect your deisre to change the name to reduce stress in your life. Reducing stress is a good thing.

The funny thing about your name is that when I first read it, I pictured you being some kind of bad-boy-biker-dude that just got out of prison for armed robbery and assault!

For me, it struck me kind of like calling a really big guy "Tiny." ChurchCampDave is so cute and innocent sounding that I thought you might actually be the opposite of what your name suggests.

For that reason I like your name. :lol:

I get it; you're going to constantly change you nym until we all forget who you really are.  Maybe you'll start a trend.

Imagine if we all changed our names (every day).  Hmmm.  Who needs a sock puppet anyway?  :P  :lol:

Shush, now. You'll give people ideas. There are already too many people running around here changing their avatars almost every day. :D

:lol:

Edited by Ambrosia
All great posts.

Thanks to all.

I have changed my name, but not really because of "bigotry" so much as just to be different.  I agree with most that I should not let "them" win and furthermore, I'm probably making more out of it than it really is.

I'm confused... :lol::P:lol:

SUCCESS!

I'll jump on the bandwagon -- don't change your name unless you think it doesn't accurately reflect who you are.  Early on, I changed my caching name because I felt the present one better refelected me and my kids.  I've caught a bit of crap for my name, and more for my religious-holiday-themed cache, but that's a reflection of who the complainer was, and not who I am.  And your name isn't promoting a religious agenda (e.g. like __other people__BurnIn__generic bad place___, or I'mSaved-AreYou?), so if you like it, use it!

Team Maccabee

You actually got flack for your name and cache? When I first saw it in a forum post (ironically during the holidays) it actually caught my eye and I looked up your hide, I thought the puzzle was pretty cool and if I'm ever in/near Seattle (very very far from me so not likely) I may check it out.

Did this person argue something stupid like you have to be Jewish to do the cache? If that were true, there'd never be questions about Jewish history or holidays on shows like Jeopardy (heck, one time they had that as a category there). :lol:

I'll jump on the bandwagon -- don't change your name unless you think it doesn't accurately reflect who you are.  Early on, I changed my caching name because I felt the present one better refelected me and my kids.  I've caught a bit of crap for my name, and more for my religious-holiday-themed cache, but that's a reflection of who the complainer was, and not who I am.  And your name isn't promoting a religious agenda (e.g. like __other people__BurnIn__generic bad place___, or I'mSaved-AreYou?), so if you like it, use it!

Team Maccabee

You actually got flack for your name and cache? When I first saw it in a forum post (ironically during the holidays) it actually caught my eye and I looked up your hide, I thought the puzzle was pretty cool and if I'm ever in/near Seattle (very very far from me so not likely) I may check it out.

Did this person argue something stupid like you have to be Jewish to do the cache? If that were true, there'd never be questions about Jewish history or holidays on shows like Jeopardy (heck, one time they had that as a category there). <_<

No, quite the opposite. The issue was more about secular dogma vs. people who have a strong religious identity. It's actually a conflict within parts of the Jewish community, much like in other ethnic/religious communities. Read the early logs of my cache for a taste of it.

Although, some other cachers and I were discussing the hypothetical creation of a puzzle using gematriya (assigning number values to hebrew letters and words). Given the puzzle-mania and burnout in Seattle right now, I wouldn't do it... I heard that one cacher did try to use hebrew letters as numbers for solving the puzzle on my cache (that would give me a headache...).

Team Maccabee

All great posts.

Thanks to all.

I don't have a problem with your old name but I really get sick of people pushing their cat confusion on me. If I want to engage in cat confusion, I will, but that's my choice. I don't like those holier than meow people either! Just messing with you Bro, should leave it alone cuz it's you. Churchcamp or cat confusion, you're still CCDave.

For MSN names, i often just do a search for headlines that incorporate my name. For instance:

The African continent is Dave's office

Might as well jump ... to another station: Dave's dull debut

Dave died doing what he loved - he was happy (break that curse)

Dave calls time on a pub's history

Sport Dave's Olympic dream in tatters

Dave Not Retiring

Dave's hat-trick

Ask Dave: Look before you lift

Desperate Dave down with the kids

Mr Bigot

Peter, Paul and Mary

Listen, Mr. Bigot, listen to me, I'll give you a lesson in history

Listen while I tell you that the foreigners you hate

Are the very same people made America great.

Oh listen Mr. Bigot, uh-huh...listen Mr. Bigot

Thanks. And I thought I knew all of Peter, Paul and Mary's songs.

The intersting thread through this discussion is "They're bigots". It's nice to know that some people are perfect.

CCDave, it's not nice to confuse a cat. They're smarter than we are, and they will get even.

I really like "Dave's not here"

Could sign logs ...but he WAS

Thanks!

It's getting harder and harder to find people who have actually heard that!

Get a small rubber stamp, like I suggested and then have the Dave's Not Here put underneath a small homemade version of the Kilroy picture...

Thank way you could be there at the same time as signing small...