What Comes First -- Outdoors Or Caching

Just a quick question -- for no other reason than I am curious.

Are you an outdoors person that caches during your regular outdoor activities?

OR

Are you a cacher that goes outdoors primarily to cache?

I guess the idea is -- would you go to that park, hike, or viewpoint even if there wasn't a cache there? -- is a cache a "bonus" or the "objective"?

Just so there is no confusion -- I tend to cache "on the side" rather than as a regular activity by itself -- so I guess I am wondering if I am in the minority, average, or "with the people" on this. <--- not that it matters -- I am having fun!

I guess the idea is -- would you go to that park, hike, or viewpoint even if there wasn't a cache there?  -- is a cache a "bonus" or the "objective"?

Yes. A little over 50% of the time, the cache is a bonus when visiting an area I would have otherwise. Although I do tend to visit many more places when I cache than I would if I were just there to hike, bike, swim, enjoy the view, or whatever. There are many places that I would have liked to visit even without a cache, but it's only because of caching that I find out about them. And I do go out of my way to find caches in plenty of places I otherwise wouldn't visit (little suburban parks with playgrounds, for example).

When I moved to MS earlier this year, I did alot of driving around just to get familiar with the area, and I still spend alot of time hiking in nearby recreation areas and state parks just to see what's out there. There were plenty of caches that I planned my routes around, but I probably would have visited many of the same areas even if I didn't cache.

About two weeks before I discovered caching, I took a mini-roadtrip to another state just to get out of the house and see the area. Then I found the GC site and realized that I had passed right by a number of intriguing caches. Oh well...

Edited by DavidMac

For me the cache is the thing. When I tell people about Geocaching they look at me like I'm nuts until I tell them that I have gone to places - parks, mountaintops, trails,etc. that I never would have even known about let alone thought about going to. Almost everyone responds well to that.

My favorite is a multi-mile hike with my teenage daughter. GC5550 The starting point is tha little spot of grass in the upper left.

2854bd5f-e387-4fed-9d96-3369e1279e54.jpg

It shifted things, and got me outdoors more. For a day hike in the canyon at Twin Falls or to hike to the rock arch or the Arco Desert we had to plan a day when all of us were free. Us being a group of friends in Idaho who live scattered all over the southern part of the state.

When caching came along less of those planned tripps happened but more cache trips happened. I can't say any one cache trip is more fun, but since I get out more overall it's a good thing.

With the 1K milestone looming I'm ready to shift back to the planned tripps and either find caches on those trips or place them. This spring I'm going to climb Scout Mountain. Not the greatest of mountains but heck, it's in my back yard, and it's there. I'll put a cache there and annoy the locals as well, because I'll put some great prizes in it and they will have to climb that mountain as well...

I was an outdoors person before I knew about geocaching. I like to mountain bike and hike. When I found out about geocaching I was thrilled cause that meant I'll have another hobby in my life that'll get me outdoors. Before I even tried it I was hooked and I new I would love it. I was right. So when I go caching the cache is the objective. It got me to many new places I never would've known about or might not have gone to on my own without a cache being there. I have a few trips planned for next spring or summer that'll combine mountain biking and caching. I can't wait for this cold, snowy weather to be gone.

Krazymtbr

I'm an outdoors person first and foremost. I rarely go on a hike -just- to geocache, although that does happen. This is why I've been active for four years, and have only found 91 caches.

When my wife and I went on our honeymoon in January, we did look for about a half dozen caches in the week, but we also did other stuff. It was by no means a "geocaching" honeymoon, as I have heard some talk about. If it was, I guess we could have gotten like 100.

I used to hike/bike/camp/fish quite a bit before GC. Now I find that most of my outdoor trips have a geocache attached to them, or are repeat trips to places I found while caching. I like to hike in a few different spots and I visit them repeatedly, like the NH White Mountains. Caching is different - a new place every time.

5% Caching, 95% Other outdoor activities, resulting in a .10 Finds/Day ratio. :( I cache to find entertaining or beautiful spots, and hide caches to show those to other people. (Except that one micro. I'm not sure of my motivation that day.) :wacko:

edited for spelling -sheesh-

Edited by Map Only

:wacko: It's funny you should ask! My Bond Girl and I have always been outdoor types, but geocaching has changed things in a strange way.

When I first started caching, I realized I was being led to places I had never really explored before. Some of the places were in the city and I'd driven by them many times but never paid much attention to them. Some of the caches we've hunted have been in parks we enjoyed going to before geocacaching.

Whats really changed for me though is I've always been a hunter( of deer and pheasants) and this year I gave all that up to keep geocaching. My expensive and highly trained Brittany is now our geodog. For some reason I've gotten this competitive itch to keep finding caches and watching my numbers grow. Actually, I think the competitiveness comes from meeting so many great geocachers at the event caches I've attended. I can't imagine a better organization than the WGA and its top members for coaching and helping new cachers and spurring on experienced cachers. But I digress.

To get back to it, I need to start finding caches that take much longer hikes, even if I only get one smiley that day. My Bond Girl likes "long hikes" in the woods and my geodog likes to run off leash.

I've ben an outdoors person all my life. My earliest childhood memories are of camping out and having a black bear drag a cooler out of a tent I was sleeping in. I am more comfortable sleeping out on the ground then in my bed. And I spend all my spare time hiking and backpacking.

Geocaching is just another way to enjoy what I would normally be doing anyway.

Funny question because I think I have gone in cycles with this. I used to be outdoors all the time but after the kids got older and my work kept me awayu from home later I moved away from the outdoors. Geocaching has brought us back outside to new places and great adventures.

Now it seems that if there is a geocaching goal, I am more likely to do things outdoors for longer periods of time. It has brought the kids back into the outdoors and at times, stretched their comfort levels.

I guess at this point in my life it is more caching than outdoors but who knows what next week will bring. :blink:

Just a quick question -- for no other reason than I am curious.

Are you an outdoors person that caches during your regular outdoor activities?

OR

Are you a cacher that goes outdoors primarily to cache?

I guess the idea is -- would you go to that park, hike, or viewpoint even if there wasn't a cache there? -- is a cache a "bonus" or the "objective"?

I think it started as the former and has moved to the latter for me. I still do many that are just because I was going there for something else so why not, but I have days were is all about the caching and fish/hiking/camping/etc gear stays home.

But isn't that how all addictions start? First its occasional thing that you do at certain times or with certain people. Then you do it a little more frequently, and finally you think about during the day and spend every open weekend on it...

I've always been an outdoor person but since I started Geocaching I find myself off the couch and outdoors more often. Before Geocaching I planned a hike, camp out or 4WD trip without a goal in mind. Now I use a cache as a goal or reward that makes my outing more interesting and enjoyable. Finding new cool places outdoors because of caching is a bonus that I didn't have before.