List Of Pylons Locations

Garmin8888

You can find one at GCNW6N.

Otherwise, electricity transmission lines they are marked on OS 1:50k and 1:25k maps, with symbols for each individual pylon or pole.

If you're anywhere near a substation though, I'd say be careful, as a lot of them (especially the supergrid ones) are classed as sites of key economic importance, and the authorities may suspect you of being the bloke with the ticking rucsack.

Although I haven't tried it myself, if you stand under the power line and hold a fluorescent tube upright, it lights up. I must take one out into the countryside one night!

There you go, battery free torch, and the opportunity to do an impression of Simply Paul!

edit - Regarding the navigation, the cable routes tend to be cleared of trees when going through forest, so a nice easy landmark to follow, with no thick trees to get through.

Edited by NickPick
We have some excellent examples down the road from us (Stonefisk may well know of them already) I believe someone once told me that the correct term to use is "towers" rather than "pylons".....or did I dream that? :lol: Freudian again....

Mrs B

My first close up experience of pylons as a child was that very one you walk under near that bridge.... There was a Dr.Who, darlek *feel* about them...so I guess that was the trigger.

Edited by stonefisk

As the OS map them you can just look at 1:25,000 maps, at 1:50,000 i dont think the marked locations are real, just representitive.

Also if you willing to pay a kings ransom (well almost) you could access the location data as stored in OS Mastermap digital mapping.

I doubt that a difintive website listing them would be available, mainly from terrorists concerns I guess.

I know this will be of no use whatsoever but can get mileages for overhead line gantries along the railway..... :anibad:

Some say it is sad........ :blink:

Some say WELL THAT'S MY JOB!!! :ph34r:

Any wonder I like caching, better than sitting around looking at pictures of the railway all day and then having to draw it!! <_<

Sometimes I get let out.......to places of wonder and awe.......places of such historical significance their contribution to the world cannot be denied.....where are these places I hear you all ask........ :P

Coventry Station, Wigan station, birmingham new street station (noticed a theme yet???!!) Warrington station, runcorn station.......AAAARRRRGGGHHH!!! I WORK IN A TRAIN SPOTTERS DREAM JOB!!!! <_<

And then Pingu pipes up with 'I'm just off to Australia, Tokyo, Antarctica, San Diego, Nice.........' :P

I have obviously picked the wrong job!!! ;)

But back to the thread.... Anyone want mileages of overhead line gantries???!! :(

I doubt that a difintive website listing them would be available, mainly from terrorists concerns I guess.

Because pylons are so hard to find without accurate latitude and longitude information... <_<

SP

I never said they where rational concerns... <_< nor could the terrerists look at the maps....

Better off carrying out co-ordinated attack on the UK's high pressure gas/oil pipelines. Details of which are available to the public as well as the companies concerned sign post their exact location.

Though no doubt there are whole teams of response units geared and ready to jump to action and repair any damage the moment it happens to prevent the country being crippled by a supply shortage even for a single day.

http://www.linewatch.co.uk

Pylon locations are probably available from county council offices concerned.