Marmite!

Yes that was the slogan used by Marmite for there adverts, and it was one of the best but risky series of adverts ever shown. Marmites gamble actually paid off and their sales soared.

Now I know that Marmite is nowhere near topic, so why have I brought the subject up, well I don't like Marmite one little bit, but that doesn't mean that I should object to the adverts.

So why is it that if someone objects to Congrats Threads, Calling Cards, Golf Balls etc. etc. they post a thread wanting it to stop. Whilst there are people who enjoy these parts of Geocaching then they should be left to enjoy it and not have everyone complain.

So if people like Congrats Threads and you don't, just don't read it, I generally ignore them to an extent, but it doesn't bother me them being here, in fact I enjoyed getting the recognition myself.

If you find calling cards in a cache, what real harm is it doing, if it's your cache and you dislike them, put them in the bin.

As for Golf balls as long as they are swapped for an equal value or just left if there is space, then what harm is actually done?

So my plea is, if you like Marmite then have it, but if you dislike it, then leave those who like it to get on and stink :huh:

Marmite - I love it (and stink :huh:

Everything else: I agree with HH.

One thing I do hate whilst out caching though is dog poo - so if any cachers have dogs and don't poop-scoop, please do in future, and take the bag back to the bin, don't just throw the bag into the bush. (and apologies for the slight thread hijack)

Marmite - I love it (and stink  :D

Everything else: I agree with HH.

One thing I do hate whilst out caching though is dog poo - so if any cachers have dogs and don't poop-scoop, please do in future, and take the bag back to the bin, don't just throw the bag into the bush. (and apologies for the slight thread hijack)

Have to agree, the worst thing about caching is dog do do.

This was however topped for us in one Liverpool park by an unmentionable less than 2m away from the cache - was nearly sick into cache ;):D:huh:

Forgot to say - I love marmite so do smell!

Edited by Skippy and Pingu

Well said Haggis Hunter. Enough of this moaning people! Let's just enjoy ourselves. Oh and I hate Marmite, so I don't smell. I have three pairs of kids shoes in the garage which need disinfecting cos they are covered in dog poo picked up whilst out caching - now they certainly do stink! Yuck. Liane, The Cache Hoppers :huh:;)

Edited by The Cache Hoppers

We have sweat shirts - one reads I Love Marmite and the other reads I Hate Marmite. Always brings a smile.

Ruth is the Marmite lover and Bren has noticed among our lovely lady friends that most of them love Marmite so Bren is delighted to hear that Liane, like him, hates the stuff.

As for dogs... well, we'd mince the lot of them (sorry dog lovers). Best story we heard was of a lady who had a neighbour who's dog used to regularly mess her driveway. One day as the dog departed she went out, scooped up the mess and ran after the doggie owner and tipped it in her shopping basket!! Classic!

A point you perhaps fail to see on the congrats issue is if you want to see some interesting topic then you have a lot of congrats topics that clutter up the page. Its not that you can ignore them you have no choice.

When in its infancy a congrats for 100 was ok. It was an achivement. But now it is easy to do 100 and it is not a big thing.

Heck I have even noticed a congrats for 50 and even one for compleating a cache first.

Its getting out of hand.

Soon anything interesting like the golf ball tread or the calling card thread will be on the second or third page.

Why not stick insugnificant congrats in the pinned and if you must put sugnificant ones on the main page 500 1000 1500

WOW!! That has got to be the quickest thread drift ever, cheers NickPick :huh:

I do however hate to see dog poo all around the place as well, I always clean up after my dogs.

A point you perhaps fail to see on the congrats issue is if you want to see some interesting topic then you have a lot of congrats topics that clutter up the page. Its not that you can ignore them you have no choice.

When in its infancy a congrats for 100 was ok. It was an achivement. But now it is easy to do 100 and it is not a big thing.

Heck I have even noticed a congrats for 50 and even one for compleating a cache first.

Its getting out of hand.

Soon anything interesting like the golf ball tread or the calling card thread will be on the second or third page.

Why not stick insugnificant congrats in the pinned and if you must put sugnificant ones on the main page 500 1000 1500

The point that you perhaps have failed to see about this thread, is that it isn't a discussion on whether we should have congrats threads or not, it is a discussion on the fact that people whinge about things that other people like, and dog poo??

Now if you don't mind, can we please keep this on topic, Thank you :huh:

Taken from the profile of The Spokes:

We like doing the odd cache or two but are in no way addicted to it though. Its a nice thing to do when there is nothing on the agenda.

For people who are not addicted, you certainly appear to want have a strong opinion towards those people that are?

I am for the record extremely addicted.

I've never heard of Marmite, but I just have to chime in. I don't like the way it sounds. You have offended me by bringing it up. I can't belive I spent 5 minutes reading a thread about something I know nothing about. :huh:

Just for you webscouter, you can find out about marmite here.

It must be emphasised that I am not promoting Marmite, I Hate the stuff. But I thought it was suitable for an introduction to my comments.

So if you hate it why link to the LOVE site ?? ;):D

The marmite hate site

There is no need for me to influence people to hate something. :huh: Anyway the hate link is on that page.

live and let live, if we all liked everything the same, it would be a very boring place.

I agree totally, that is why I started this thread, allow people to do what they want, and not to try ban things that do no harm.

Just because I or you don't like something doesn't mean that everyone else should stop doing it. People should accept that there are harmless things that they don't like but others do, and leave them to get on with it.

I've heard that Marmite can fend off the mighty midge but its just a step to far to actually put that stuff in my body.

Lynn used to live near the marmite factory lurvely smell :huh: from the brewery next door that is :D

As for dog doo i have some boots that need washing clean as well ;) ugh.

Why do people bag it and throw the bag in the hedge ????

Still I think you missed it.

I will explain. YOU are complaining about people complaining.

Ironic .

There are some people who like to complain about things, and people who like to read what other people complain about.

So complain away. We are all eyes.

As Ironic as this thread may be, if someone doesn't say anything then all of you WHINGERS out there will just keep it up, won't you??

You however don't appear to be one that likes to read about complaining, but enjoy having a different opinion to everyone else. Found this out by having a quick look at your last posts.

I think that people like yourself, like to disagree just so that an argument can arise, therefore I will not be answering any more of your questions or comments on this thread.

HH

I think you missed the point of my thread about the calling cards.

I don't want them stopped; not calling for a boycott. In fact, as my subtitle stated (as your title does) 'you either luv 'em or you hate 'em'

I wanted to know peoples thoughts on the matter.

Whilst I'm here, I also want to mention, that IMHO the forums are here for us to discuss anything we like about Geocaching, no matter how bizarre it is.

If people wish to call a ban on golf balls; calling cards; black bags; congrat threads etc. does it matter?

BTW I'm not complaining about you complaining about other people complaining about something else.

;)

:huh:

So why is it that if someone objects to Congrats Threads, Calling Cards, Golf Balls etc. etc. they post a thread wanting it to stop.

Perhaps my wording in that sentence should have been clearer, I'm not having a go at any particular thread, although I have used these as examples.

What I am saying is that people can't help themselves for complaining about certain types of threads (Yes Spokes I know that is irony again).

I felt that it was time to say something in a seperate thread, as the same arguments keep happening, and for the people who enjoy the subject that the particular argument is about, it can be very dis-heartening. When the people who complain can actually just ignore that particular part of Geocaching.

Now this is where the irony dis-appears, for I don't like to see people complain, but most of the time, you have to read the complaint to know that someone is complaining.

Personally I feel that there is far too many people, allow there own selfish feelings to come to the fore. Think about why other people want to do certain things and not always on why you dislike something.

This last comment is aimed at the general community and not just Geocachers.

Whilst I'm here, I also want to mention, that IMHO the forums are here for us to discuss anything we like about Geocaching, no matter how bizarre it is.

If people wish to call a ban on golf balls; calling cards; black bags; congrat threads etc. does it matter?

There are certain things that people should complain about, and that is things such as the black bags, dangerous items etc. etc. as any of these can be harmfull either to people, wildlife or the enviroment, keep bringing things like this to the front of the queue.

However getting upset over something that can be ignored and other people get enjoyment from, is just selfish and childish.

HH....i think you started this thread so you get to 1000 posts  ;)

B. :D

I hadn't noticed that I was so close to the 1000, I hope I will get a congrats thread for getting there? :huh:

I would now just like to say, that whilst there doesn't appear to be anything else to answer, I feel as though I have put my point across. This thread has came close to an argument, with me at the front. I'm not going to close it, but I don't feel as though I need to put my opinion over any more, as I have said what I think.

Thanks to everybody that has gave feedback whether it has been viewed as positive or not, as Sensei says that is what the forums are there for, discussing.

That is why I started this thread to discuss people whinging, with Marmite and dog poo into the bargain. :D

plus report said that if you eat marmite you excude something that deters mozzies.

If you take vitamin B tablets it is meant to deter mozzies. You can also give them to the cat (special feline ones, please note) that deter fleas. My mate (no pun intended) swears by it. Marmite is a very rich source of vitamin B, so don't see why it shouldn't work.

ps. honey and marmite sandwiches. Don't knock it til you've tried it. I made some to gross out my friends and found they were quite nice... like sweet and sour!