2005 Jeep Promo -- Your Thoughts?

How cool, we just bought a black 2005 Wrangler last night.

Great. Now you have two addictions. Geocaching and Jeeps.

Welcome to the club. :ph34r:

Mudbug's Jeep coordinates with her witchee outfit. That must be a sight to see as she's driving along...

The promotion must've worked for me. Here's my Jeep Liberty in it's 3000th mile, 100th mile off pavement.

Death Valley.

Ah, Death Valley is a blast to drive around in. On the back roads there you can litteraly be out in the middle of nowhere, and see no real signs of civilization. I remember one day I spent out there where the only road I actually saw another car on (besides the main roads in the valley) was the one with the big yellow sign advising against driving on the road B).

Out of curiosity, where are you in that shot?

Any idea how many of those are actually still circulating?

At any given time there are at least 800 of them listed in caches. They have traveled a total of 4.6 million miles combined.

Yes but many of those 800 are not really there. I know of several caches in my area that claim to have YJTB's but the bugs haven't been there in months. I wish the cache owners would be responsible enough to remove the bugs from the cache page and send them out to that mystery place that bugs go hide in.

Any idea how many of those are actually still circulating?

At any given time there are at least 800 of them listed in caches. They have traveled a total of 4.6 million miles combined.

Yes but many of those 800 are not really there. I know of several caches in my area that claim to have YJTB's but the bugs haven't been there in months. I wish the cache owners would be responsible enough to remove the bugs from the cache page and send them out to that mystery place that bugs go hide in.

Several weeks ago, I removed all the YJTB's that had clearly been MIA from the caches they were listed on, and sent them to an "Unknown Location" using the "Mark Bug as Missing" option. I think my cutoff date was 12/31/04. The exercise demonstrated to me that (1) hundreds of geocachers didn't worry about pocketing a YJTB and disappointing fellow geocachers who visited the cache in the hopes that the YJTB would still be there, as indicated, and (2) hundreds of cache owners aren't very aware of the "Mark Bug as Missing" option.

If there are more recent YJTB's that are MIA, write an e-mail to the cache owner to alert them to the "Mark Bug as Missing" feature. If you don't get a response, contact the friendly volunteer cache reviewer for the region where the cache is located.

It would be nice to start this year's contest with a relatively clean slate.

Death Valley... Out of curiosity, where are you in that shot?

In between Saline Valley cache and Batman cache, on the 30 degree track going up to a mine. I'd stopped and scouted ahead on foot, because a slide blocked half the track. Since the Jeep had on highway tires and there was only me, I backed down the road.

Funny, but I've taken at least 50 pictures of Yellow Jeeps, and that predisposed me to get a Jeep product.

450ed3e7-5c99-4fe7-acf4-fb05a0936765.jpg

dd276e43-a8fb-4fa6-a659-d5a04b0e5e11.jpg

Edited by bthomas
Jeremy -

Since the majority of the cachers are semi-familiar with how these Jeeps were distributed last year, can we start the mailing list for organizations now ??

I didn't see an answer for this one yet... What would be the preferred way to get our local organization on the distribution list for this year's promotion?

Also, last year there was a lot of drama and hand-wringing in the forums as people went back and forth about whether or not it was ok to steal YJTBs. Given Jeremy's rather unambiguous comments, along with those from Keystone Approver, perhaps some sort of generic statement to that effect could be added to the description page for the new WJTBs? Something like "Please do not keep this travel bug - keep it moving even if the promotion has ended! Give your fellow cachers a chance to find and log one. Thank you."

It has been confirmed that we are receiving the new (and much larger) WJTBs next week. We're starting with the excel spreadsheet of organizations last year and I'm sure you'll hear more about the distribution of these guys shortly.

There were instructions on the old Jeep web site on how you could mail in and get the winners for last year's promotion . If you wish to take those steps you can send an email to us and I'll see if I can locate that address for you. I don't know why they do it that way but I'm not a lawyer either.

Yeah, my YJTP (#3725) made it to the cache I dropped it in, and was never heard from again.

I remember at the time not being able to log it as missing, but I forget why.

Looking foward to a new jeep to send on its way!

Though it's natural to think of a Jeep travel bug that you started off on its journey as "yours," they are technically "owned" by the Jeep4x4 account. So, only the bug owner, the cache owner or a site admin/volunteer can move a missing Jeep off of a cache page.

I thought I would comment that one of the YJTBs shipped to me for distribution made it all the way to Australia, and was last known to be in Tasmania. Unfortunately, since I didn't 'place' the TBs in my distribution event (I thought it would be great to let the cachers get the first 'official' log), the mileage is WAY skewed. It shows under 2k miles, when it's obvious that it went much, much further. Had it been logged there first, it would have another 8300 miles on it. Have any traveled >10k miles like this one would have?

The uber-cool thing is it was taken there by the team that is believed to be the origin of the Yellow Jeep phenomenon, as the Yellow Jeep Fever locationless was created to honor that very team, who drive one SWEET Yellow Jeep themselves.

Edited by Brian - Team A.I.
715 YJTB's have been logged within the last 30 days.

352 have been looged within the last 31-60 days.

1142 Were never logged at all.

1857 have 0 miles traveled (this includes the 1142 never logged).

662 have between 0-100 miles.

Sadly this means that out of 5001 YJTB's 50% of them dissappeared within the first 100 miles of their journey (unless there weren't really 5000 put out)

These are very interesting numbers. One of the things it doesn't take into account which I've seen personally, is people who have adopted them as their personal travel bugs and never let them go for other places to have. So there is a % of active YJTP that are not actually circulating for people to log.

Oh, and to follow the 'white' Jeep concept. B)

100_0210.jpg

Hmm...starting with the list from last year. I was on the receiving end of a bunch that I had the honor of distributing while living in AZ. I really hope I'll still have the chance to do so from my new home just a tad to the north.

Edited by Brian - Team A.I.

The YJTB I received and started on it's way (#4077, easy number to remember because of M*A*S*H*) also made its way Down Under then to NZ and currently shows 12572mi. Its first move from where I dropped it took 5 months but it went well over 9,000 miles to western Australia. I would have hated to have missed that first jump!!!

It has been confirmed that we are receiving the new (and much larger) WJTBs next week. We're starting with the excel spreadsheet of organizations last year and I'm sure you'll hear more about the distribution of these guys shortly.

Hopefully there will be some way to get these TB's to our area (Chicago) even tho there is NO active local organization at present. B)

The YJTB I received and started on it's way (#4077, easy number to remember because of M*A*S*H*) also made its way Down Under then to NZ and currently shows 12572mi. Its first move from where I dropped it took 5 months but it went well over 9,000 miles to western Australia. I would have hated to have missed that first jump!!!

I distributed jeeps in Nebraska last year and one ended up in Australia. My mother (Nevap) then found it in a cache there while on vacation and brought it back. She had no clue when she found it and learned that it came from here to begin with when she came home and logged it! Talk about the small world thing!!!! B)B)

Edited by carleenp

Hopefully there will be some way to get these TB's to our area (Chicago) even tho there is NO active local organization at present. B)

Don't hold your breath. I asked Jeremy to send me at least one last year when I realized we were left out, but it was probably too late by then.

There was one in an event cache 50 miles away in June 2004, and then finally in November I found one out in the suburbs. I remember a post by you as well seeing one about 25 miles from Chicago. I think they were sent to Joliet, by mistake or intentionally.

Hopefully there will be some way to get these TB's to our area (Chicago) even tho there is NO active local organization at present. ;)

Don't hold your breath. I asked Jeremy to send me at least one last year when I realized we were left out, but it was probably too late by then.

There was one in an event cache 50 miles away in June 2004, and then finally in November I found one out in the suburbs. I remember a post by you as well seeing one about 25 miles from Chicago. I think they were sent to Joliet, by mistake or intentionally.

I did get one of the YJTB sent to me to be released, a bit after the initial issuance. The Chicago area is spread out tho and it would be nice to see these new ones distributed a bit more evenly.

Received my June edition of Backpacker mag yesterday and they had a 2 page ad in there promoting the JEEP GC Contest.

I noticed the latest Scuba Diving magazine had a two-page Jeep Geocaching ad as well - I was shocked as that magazine never has two-page spreads (except for sometimes behind the front cover . . . I guess they see scuba divers as adventure people as well.

They must be dumping a bunch of $$$ on this promotion.

If you're talking about the GBA (over 50 members and 160 registered users on the new site), a couple of weeks ago I emailed TPTB with the information on how the GBA was now our big local organization, where it was just the BADGES folks at the time of the YJTB promotion. I didn't hear back so hopefully they got it and have made the change to that spreadsheet of theirs. (Although they don't have an address or anything yet I don't think.)

I copied workerofwood on it since he's a BADGES guy too and also felt it was proper to make the switch now that we have the GBA.

Apologies to other folks reading this thread who have no idea what I'm talking about. But you're welcome to check out our relatively new Geocachers of the Bay Area (GBA) website.

Edited by Team Nazgul
I thought I would comment that one of the YJTBs shipped to me for distribution made it all the way to Australia, and was last known to be in Tasmania.  Unfortunately, since I didn't 'place' the TBs in my distribution event (I thought it would be great to let the cachers get the first 'official' log), the mileage is WAY skewed.  It shows under 2k miles, when it's obvious that it went much, much further.  Had it been logged there first, it would have another 8300 miles on it.  Have any traveled >10k miles like this one would have?

The uber-cool thing is it was taken there by the team that is believed to be the origin of the Yellow Jeep phenomenon, as the Yellow Jeep Fever locationless was created to honor that very team, who drive one SWEET Yellow Jeep themselves.

# 2634 Made it to Iraq and back. I was lucky enough to have it pass through my hands. It did give me pause to stop and think.

13,663 miles, and it seems to have stalled in October of 2004

YJTB #2634

-dave

Edited by Phonedave

Hope the WJTBs will be distributed before I leave for England and Scotland on June 23rd. I'd love to find a couple to take and drop for them to join the fun. I was able to find and move three of the YJTBs along last year, two of which were still active (logged) this month. At least one has reached the 1,000 mile mark.

Two possible distribution/pickup points for me (apart from traditional caches):

Local CITO on June 18:

GCNJHA--Otter Creek Park CITO and River Sweep

Organizational anniversary event (a picnic, of course) on June 21:

GCNZFV--INKY Geo's 1st Birthday Bash

The wheels will be rolling soon--it's a Jeepocache thing! :laughing:

edit: fixed typo on event date

Edited by Teach2Learn
Soo now it is June what is up with this contest. Where is the White Jeep TB? I wonder how many people will be on the watch list once it is released (if there is only one that is). There really isn't any information on the website.

You'll see lots of other threads where a June 6th launch date is referenced. And also lots of threads where people have already received WJTB's at sneak preview events in Nevada and Florida.

The Jeeps are being shipped to regional organizations and volunteers for distribution. I can't wait for the boxes to show up on my doorstep!

And also lots of threads where people have already received WJTB's at sneak preview events in Nevada and Florida.

Key, Did you say ... FLORIDA??? I thought, from the threads, that FL was left out cuz of the regs??? ... Okay, so I'm stepping on the line some.

Actually, I'm checking TX/LA and haven't seen any lWJTB's listed here yet.

:D

And also lots of threads where people have already received WJTB's at sneak preview events in Nevada and Florida.

Key, Did you say ... FLORIDA??? I thought, from the threads, that FL was left out cuz of the regs??? ... Okay, so I'm stepping on the line some.

Actually, I'm checking TX/LA and haven't seen any lWJTB's listed here yet.

:D

As many others have done, you're mixing up the two parts of the contest. The travel bug portion of the contest is open to Florida residents (ask anyone who received a WJTB at GeoWoodstock!!!) but is NOT open to residents of Alaska or Hawaii. It's the online random drawing sweepstakes portion of the contest where Florida residents are not eligible, due to the State's burdensome sweepstakes laws.

Soo now it is June what is up with this contest. Where is the White Jeep TB? I wonder how many people will be on the watch list once it is released (if there is only one that is). There really isn't any information on the website.

You'll see lots of other threads where a June 6th launch date is referenced. And also lots of threads where people have already received WJTB's at sneak preview events in Nevada and Florida.

The Jeeps are being shipped to regional organizations and volunteers for distribution. I can't wait for the boxes to show up on my doorstep!

Also HappyFrog (& gang), it appears you think there may just be one. There will be 5,000 of them this year. I'm not sure if you realized that and I just wanted to clarify.

I seem remember hearing something about Jeep launching and additional quantity of the YJTB's last year after the first 4000 were turned loose.

edit*

I just checked, jeep 4x4 owns 5001 Yellow Jeeps and 5000 White ones.

Edited by WH