What Is Important?

As much as some folks belittle the numbers - lets face it - some numbers are important to all of us - just which ones. Please share your reasons for tracking....

• Number of Finds
  • Number of Hides
  • Number of DNFs
  • Days since you last went Geocaching (hours?)
  • Date you started
  • miles you hike
  • number of posts
  • number of "experiences"
  • Dollar value of trades
  • goals
  • etc

:( Another Thread leads me to believe that all of us care about SOME number...........

edit for list mistake......

Edited by StarBrand

It really depends on what I'm doing at the time. Number in a day, number last week. How far ahead of Night Stalker I am (since he will pass me up, and I don't want to make it easy for him...) This spring it will be one called "The Vent" which is worth of bragging rights just for the magnitude of the hike and the terrain. Which are different numbers that people pay attention too.

Right now there is starting to be some competition on Navicache for total numbers. 5 finds makes you a contender. Newbies and old timers have a level playing field for bragging rights since a 3 year lead in finds doesn't matter when there is only 5 caches total.

My favorite number is one that I don't even track... the literally hundreds of great people that I've met through geocaching all over the country. Being able to crash in the spare room of a geobuddy in Cleveland or Chicago or Seattle, and to have a guided tour of the area, is worth more than dozens of finds. Attending a distant event cache brings new friends as well as new finds. Maybe I will go try and count how many people I've met on the trail or at events.

As for more traditional numbers, I like it that I've maintained an average of more than one cache find per day since I started this hobby nearly three years ago.

* Number of Finds

I track the number of finds in my logs so I figure out the order in which I've found a cache.

* Number of Hides

Don't track it (Kinda pointless to track my only cache)

* Number of DNFs

Don't track them - too embarassed

* Days since you last went Geocaching (hours?)

You're joking

* Date you started

I don't track this... I refer to it from time to time to reminice.

* miles you hike

I pretty much forget it after the experience.

* number of posts

Is this another joke?

* number of "experiences"

eh?

* Dollar value of trades

nope

* goals

I stopped having geocache goals pretty much after my 100th cache.

69cf4e92-f397-453f-a98a-36a41978d2c1.jpg

my "stats banner" for the Florida Geocaching Forums (not quite up to date, add a couple DNFs and an event). I was hot to get 100 MEFFs, and having done that am real relaxed about it now. No real drive on the finds count. I'll keep caching, and the finds will keep growing. I've sure met some great folks - no way to count that. What the Leprechans said, I can now drive just about any where in Florida and stay with somebody, and have a guide or at least some guidance about the local caching. Amazing, the best find of all.

• Number of Finds <- not important
  • Number of Hides <- not important
  • Number of DNFs <- not important
  • Days since you last went Geocaching (hours?) <- people even track that?
  • Date you started <- not important
  • miles you hike <- not important
  • number of posts <- who cares?
  • number of "experiences" <- people put a number on that?
  • Dollar value of trades <- not important

I long ago stopped trying to quantify my experiences geocaching. I just go.

Besides, the tools to meaningfully quantify your experiences geocaching don't exist. The numbers available to us are pretty much meaningless because the same number to one person could mean something drastically different for another.

• Number of Finds <- not important
  • Number of Hides <- not important
  • Number of DNFs <- not important
  • Days since you last went Geocaching (hours?) <- people even track that?
  • Date you started <- not important
  • miles you hike <- not important
  • number of posts <- who cares?
  • number of "experiences" <- people put a number on that?
  • Dollar value of trades <- not important

I long ago stopped trying to quantify my experiences geocaching. I just go.

Besides, the tools to meaningfully quantify your experiences geocaching don't exist. The numbers available to us are pretty much meaningless because the same number to one person could mean something drastically different for another.

Do you mean to tell us that not 1 of the numbers holds even a small fraction of meaning to you???

Have you ever glanced at a cachers finds to determine if a DNF experience might indicate a problem?? Have you ever noticed that it has been 3 months since you were last out and you decide to go again?? Do you skip certain caches for a longer more beautiful hike because of the number of negative logs??

Or are you really saying that all these numbers are "not important" to you? Some of your previous posts in other threads seem to indicate otherwise.......

My point here is that we as a group should not be bashing ALL the numbers ALL the time. (not saying you did). I just want to know what numbers you use and how?

Do you mean to tell us that not 1 of the numbers holds even a small fraction of meaning to you???

Have you ever glanced at a cachers finds to determine if a DNF experience might indicate a problem?? Have you ever noticed that it has been 3 months since you were last out and you decide to go again?? Do you skip certain caches for a longer more beautiful hike because of the number of negative logs??

Or are you really saying that all these numbers are "not important" to you? Some of your previous posts in other threads seem to indicate otherwise.......

My point here is that we as a group should not be bashing ALL the numbers ALL the time. (not saying you did). I just want to know what numbers you use and how?

With any accuracy? Not a one.

Now, if you're talking about "some," "few," "a bunch," or whatever, then yeah I can judge all I need to judge. A cacher DNF on one of my caches does it matter how many caches he's found? Sure. Does it matter if he's found 8 or 9? Nope.

Do I check on a cache based on the number of DNFs? Nope. Do I go on a hunt based on the how many finds it has? Nope. I will more likely go on a hunt if it's not been found in a while, but does it matter that it's not been found in 18 months or 19 months? Nope.

Do I skip a cache based on negative logs? Yep, but not on the number of negative logs.

Do I realize I've not been caching in X number of days? Nope. If it's been a while and I want to go, I go. Not because it's been 17 days.

So, no I can't think of one number that drives or I even remotely keep track of. Heck, I don't know the true number of caches we've found. I can go back and make a tally if it mattered to me, but it doesn't.

Like I said, the numbers don't really mean anything the way they are presented.

For instance, the three caches the soccer mom and her kids found in a quaint park equal the three 5/5 caches a power group found in one day? Does the 240 caches found in 24 hours by a team with a local guide and driver equal the same 240 found solo? (Now, that would be impressive.) See what I mean?

Gotta go with the time spent with family. These are the times together that I hope that my young daughter recalls fondly as she grows up.

I'm in pretty cache-densse area with locals having 2,000 + finds and a couple with 4k or 5K - the numbers game here would be a losing battle for me :ninja: .

Number of Finds - yep I track this - I like to average about one per week.

Number of Hides - I hope to hide my first soon

Number of DNFs - don't worry about this

Days since you last went Geocaching (hours?) - don't worry about this

Date you started - don't worry about this

miles you hike - don't worry about this

number of posts - don't worry about this ( and never ocurred to me)

number of "experiences" - I don't know about number of experiences but the experiences do matter. I'm in San Antonio on business this week and I went geocaching for some micros - didn't find a one today out of 5 but got led to some pretty neat parks.

Dollar value of trades - don't worry about this

goals - my only goal is to have fun.

With any accuracy? Not a one.

So you DO use them - just without any accuracy - thats cool. But you did give some examples of some usefulness. I don't get all wrapped in numbers at all but again - I want to point out that most of use do use them in some fashion. No need to get all pointed about details for the examples given - just say "yes I occasionally look at them but I don't keep them current or accurate." I grow weary of the posters that constantly bash all form of numbers. You didn't but some do. I find it a bit hypocritical.

With any accuracy?  Not a one.

So you DO use them - just without any accuracy - thats cool. But you did give some examples of some usefulness. I don't get all wrapped in numbers at all but again - I want to point out that most of use do use them in some fashion. No need to get all pointed about details for the examples given - just say "yes I occasionally look at them but I don't keep them current or accurate." I grow weary of the posters that constantly bash all form of numbers. You didn't but some do. I find it a bit hypocritical.

I'm sure he cringes when he finds 1 lame cache. :ninja:

I'm just too darn lazy to try and keep track of any of these numbers. I remember going over 100 finds at some point, but I don't think I ever figured out which cache put me over 100 or when exactly the 100th find was found. I own somewhere around 5 caches, but then the caches that I help my kids hide are really more mine than there's at this point . . . I think of them as mine, but they aren't listed that way. I have no idea within a factor of 5 how many DNFs I have or travel bugs I've found.

So, my number of finds reminds me how much I need to get a life sometimes, but other than that, I don't pay much attention.

By the way, I'm not certain of my age either if that puts any perspective on this.

But, I do know how many women I've slept with, how many kids I have and how old they are. I also keep a large number of seemingly meaningless statistics in my head about all kinds of cultural views or perspectives on the world. Like, the number of Americans that identify themselves as Christians has dropped from 83% in 1995 to 75% in 2000. Apparently Wiccans are growing at the fastest rate. But then, doubling the size of a small group is much easier than doubling the size of a group that is already more than 1/2 of the population.

Some stats of fun for me. Geocaching stats of my own are not.

I track the number of caches in the area I haven't been to yet.

I track my TB places and thier photos (not really the miles).

I track the photos I have taken at caches and those submtted in TB logs.

Knowing how many caches I have been to is a good thing to satisfy my curiousity, but that's about it.

I don't track my DNF's, but that's a different thread, isn't it.

So you DO use them - just without any accuracy...

Mainly because it is the only quick measure of experience we have at our disposal. Rankings would work just as well.

Rankings might work even better if it were based on something else other than just the number of finds--maybe a combination of completing not just a number of caches but a broad range of types of caches, and possibly placing a few which receive some sort of positive feedback.

Right now, our best measure is personal expereince with another cacher to determine their experience level and how much stock we can put into what they have to say whether it is here in the forums or in the logs of one of our caches.

[*]Number of Finds-I just like to keep track of how many for me. I don't care what you think of me with relation to my number of finds. We have a little unofficial friendly competition here, but we also have found many of these caches together. I also keep track of how many strokes when I play golf. :(

[*]Number of Hides- I think hiding 5% of my find total is a good way to give as much as I take. Again this is just for me.

[*]Number of DNFs- Of course I try to keep this to a minimum, but I'm not afraid to log them.

[*]Days since you last went Geocaching (hours?)- Also try to keep this to a minimum, but no real numerical goals or tracking. My doctor wants me to get out 2-3x/week instead of my normal once. Really; I got a note.:(

[*]Date you started- I like anniversary dates. I like birth dates. I like to see the odometer roll over too. B)

[*]miles you hike- Not a goal I'll set at the outset, but after a full day it's nice to know why my legs are so tired.

[*]number of posts -Now this one is important to me. #finds>#posts

[*]number of "experiences"- This is what it's ALL ABOUT (and the Hokey Pokey :mad: )

[*]Dollar value of trades- Irrelevant, as long as it's fair on the rare occasion I do trade.

[*]goals- Discussed already in that thread.

I guess I just like numbers enough to use them for my values and preferences in all aspects of life, both personal and professional.

[*]Days since you last went Geocaching (hours?) <- people even track that?

Sure thing. Kablooey keeps track of all kinds of interesting stats (e.g. ratio of finds solo vs finds with a group). He also keeps track of how many consecutive days he has found a cache. Mine is currenly zero (I didn't find any the last two days). He is a couple of weeks away from having found at least one cache for 600 days in a row. That's a cool number in my book because it is easily attainable by nearly everyone (1 cache a day).

--Marky

The OP asked about which are important, and to answer that, I would have to say that none of the numbers associated with 'caching are important to me. The numbers associated with my bank account when it comes time to pay my mortgage or buy food, those are important to me.

Geocaching numbers are, however, an interesting bit of fluff, just like the number of foreign countries I've contacted on HAM radio or the number of miles on my truck. None of those numbers are important, what is important is that I get out of the house and go caching when I feel like it, that I can get on the air and talk to folks in other countries, and that my truck gets me to where I want to get to.

He is a couple of weeks away from having found at least one cache for 600 days in a row. That's a cool number in my book because it is easily attainable by nearly everyone (1 cache a day).

It's cooler than you think, because it's not easily attainable by everyone.

There are 318 caches within a 100 mile radius of my home. Of course, that's 100 chromes. I'd have to discount the ones in Arkansas and Louisiana because they are MUCH further than 100 miles driving even though they are only 50 chromes.

There are 115 or so unfound caches within 100 miles of my home. The nearest is 90 miles of driving away.

If I wanted to find 1 cache each day, and had started doing that when I started caching, I'd quickly have been driving over 100 miles one way to log one cache.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I keep track of my finds (of each type of cache, bechmark, and tb), dnf's and notes using the GC.com website. I also try to keep an eye on the find counts of my friends in the MSGA and know that many of them do the same to me.

southdeltan

I also keep track of how many strokes when I play golf.  B)

I was just thinking caching isn't like golf or bowling. Who tracks the number of games they've played? I'm sure a lot of folks track their handicap or their average, but how do you do that in geocaching? Doesn't translate.

Doesn't translate for you. Not everyone on the golf course does count every single shot, and the codified rule for golf are a lot clearer than they are for caching. Some players allow mulligans, some allow foot wedges, some lift, clean and place. Some don't count a whiff, some won't hit from the woods, or play it as it lies. Who cares about these decisions unless it's in a tournement. If it's just recreational play with friends agreeing on how to keep score, that's cool.

When I was playing a lot of golf, I sometimes would go out solo after work with a few extra balls in my pocket. If the pace of the course permitted, I would drop two or three and practice a shot on the course, or stay and play sand shots for 10 minutes, or work my way around a green working the different slopes and angles. On those days I didn't keep count of how many shots, but I would still make up a game to keep count of something. Maybe must hit three in a row within 10 ' from the sand, or sink three putts in a row before leaving the green.

Some posters have said that thye like to have a find/day of caching on average. Some have posted that xx number of caching days in a row is important to them.

Some have posted that they like to find 10+/day.

So if some of us like the numbers, just agree that we play geocaching differently than you sometimes.

PS-if we are going to quote one another in posts-let's try to keep the statements made in these quotes in context:

I just like to keep track of how many for me. I don't care what you think of me with relation to my number of finds. We have a little unofficial friendly competition here, but we also have found many of these caches together. I also keep track of how many strokes when I play golf.  :mad:
Edited by wimseyguy

Only to help set a goal or not or what ever it is that I feel like doing. Some one can have 100 caches and they are all 3+/3+ caches compared to someones 1000 1/1 caches. Does it matter no but some times it give credence to what a personsays. Is it fair no but what else can you do? O'well it only matters you have fun.

cheers

My number 1 number: Caches per hour.

Then the number of minutes on scene hunting, and at 5 minutes I'm wondering the number of finds per month for that cache.

I used to tally the number of 40-cache days (40 being old school), but I've lost track. The number of 100+ days is 2... kinda proud of that.

Have lost track of the number of >4 star terrains, but it must be a dozen.

Highest elevation cache: 14495. Lowest -282 feet.

Locationlesses: just 24 I think.

Miles to FTF: about 350 miles several times.

Doesn't translate for you.

I don't see how it can translate at all.

In most games the points are awarded on each round of play. In golf, you try to have the fewest strokes per round. In bowling you try to knock down the highest number of pins per round. That I know of, there aren't any accumalative points accrued from the time you started playing the game.

With geocaching the most prominant number is the number of caches you've found. That's like keeping a tally of the number holes you've played or the games you've bowled. In other words, it only a very vaque measure of your experience. It doesn't equate to a handicap or a bowling average in the least, yet in this hobby it's how we measure each other.

Back to the original query, I am personally tracking my finds as I have set a goal for myself that is motivating my progress . . . when achieved, I will probably relax on this measure and seek other measures of the activity.

For ME, having no goals in any venture means no measure of success . . . I do not believe there is anyone unaware of their progress (numbers). They may not deem it important or be willing to strive for goals or be willing to compete - but we all watch & know the score. It's just undeniably human!

Yes, I pretty much agree with CR.

The only reason I keep track of any of my numbers is due to people asking what we have. People outside of the geocaching game mostly. The rest seem to track our numbers better then we do. I like to track milestone numbers for people in our local group just to see how things are going.

The reason I keep track of others numbers is when I see that they have said there is a problem one way or the next with a cache. I base the validity of their statement based on their hide ratio as much as their find ratio. If a cacher has over a thousand finds scattered all through the types of hides, over a hundred hides and claims their is a problem with a cache, I tend to put a lot of weight to their claim.

Someone new to the game with 10 - 20 finds, zero hides has to have backup from several cachers.

The rest of the numbers are just fluff.

And a cache a day? Get real on that one. Sure, it can be done in a lot of places but I have done some scouting for a trip this summer. Put a 100 mile radius around Circle, Montana and you will get 33 cache - the last I looked anyway. And the same goes for a lot of places here in Oregon, Idaho, Washington, Montana, Nevada; etc. Am I going to drive 100 miles a day to log a cache? Yea, right.

We have what they call canyons out here that you can just about throw a rock across that are around a mile deep and with a wicked river in the bottom. To drive around them takes all day or longer. Sure, that cache is only 1.5 miles away. Crow miles. Highway miles can easy be well over a hundred and several hours. Enough on that for now.

If I was to make any number important enough to try and track with this game, it would have to be a top 10 or 25 list.

Logscaler.

With geocaching the most prominant number is the number of caches you've found. That's like keeping a tally of the number holes you've played or the games you've bowled. In other words, it only a very vaque measure of your experience. It doesn't equate to a handicap or a bowling average in the least, yet in this hobby it's how we measure each other.

I think what you can look at is the kind of caches a person does. You can see what a person is like in a sense. Do they only do 1/1 do they do 1/5 or 5/5. It is not a good judge but it is like looking a books in a persons library to see somewhat of what they are like.

cheers