Best Gps'r For The Northeast

Skully & Mulder et al.

Helmut,

As with anything, it is all a matter of personal preference. I have been using my MeriPlat since starting this obsession last year. I never once had any doubts in my choice of GPSr. I also have an extra 64MB chip for info storage. Here is the link so you can help make your own educated choice...

Magellan MeriPlat

I don't know if the mapping software are compatible with one another, since you had a Garmin. This debate is similar to the Apple vs PC debate. It's whatever you like or are used to.

I recently lost my e-trex Legend and need a replacement

Are you sure you didn't 'lose' it just to get a new one! :ph34r:

I have an etrex legend which I use all the time (although it is falling apart now).

There is now a: Garmin eTrex - Legend Color!!!

Rose has a Sportrek Color, which she loves, but isn't so useful for geocaching (generally 50 feet off from the posted coordinates and it flys off the dashboard when making turns!)

I also have a Sportrek map - see SC comments

And a geko - this is far too basic for your use

I have reviewed the following and found them to be annoying since the buttons are not intuitive or the unit is huge and clunky!!!

Garmin GPSMAP 60CS Color

Garmin GPSMAP 76-S

Garmin GPSMAP 76CS Marine

Just my personal taste, I am going with an eTrex - Legend Color next. :rolleyes:

Edited by avroair

I liked my Legend and Vista, but I love my 60CS. It gets great reception under all conditions, I like the fully user customizable menus and the dedicated geocaching mode is a nice touch. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the size. I really liked the compact size of my eTrex's, but I'm getting used to it. Another bonus is that it isn't as sensitive to positon as the eTrex, so I can just clip it to my belt or pack while hiking, rather than worrying about keeping it flat.

I also picked up the City Select software and have found the auto routing feature to be very useful. As far as memory, I've put City Select for all of northern NJ, NYC, eastern LI, parts of Vermont, the Hudson Valley and the area around Erie PA on the unit, as well as Mapsource Topo for most of NJ, NY up to and including the Catskills, Hudson valley and most of southern Vt, so I find the 56 meg to be more than enough for our area. I like that I can switch between City Select and Topo depending on my intended use.

I've also heard great things about the new eTrex color units. Supposedly they get better reception than the older eTrex's and support auto routing. The Legend C even has been upgraded to 24 meg of memory. The 24 meg is plenty for the area if you're using Topo, but you may find it wanting if you use City Select, or would like to load both on the unit.

Edited by briansnat

If your caching in urban areas reception usually is not an issue and pretty much any GPS'r will do. So buy one in your priceline with features you like. Mapping is a nice extra.

For me, I mostly use mine under dense canopy and have yet to find a Garmin (yellow, blue, green, or grey models) that can keep reception like my Lowrance iFinder. It has mapping and a larger than normal screen as well. I can get a lock in the middle of my living room!

I know nothing about meridian or magellen.

Salvelinus

generally 50 feet off from the posted coordinates

I have often wondered about that, is that commonly found. Is there a calibration standard.

50 feet is well within the margin of error when you figure in your GPS's EPE and that of the owner's. Usually you'll be within 20-25 feet however.

The Sportrak has a rep of being the most accurate consumer grade GPS on the market, which is great for placing caches. But when looking for them, the way it calculates position often causes the user to overshoot the cache by quite a bit (called the Magellan slingshot effect by some). It takes a while for the GPS to settle down and point you to the cache.

I switched from a Magellan Meridian Color (with DirectRoute) to the Garmin GPSmap 60cs (with CitiSelect) last April after 13 months. I, personally, was going crazy waiting for the Maggie to settle and give me good readings at the cache; while Garmin users consistantly had good readings all the way. The averaging was just TOO much. They are undoubtedly good units, but weren't what I wanted.

Since switching to the Garmin I've found the routing software to be superior, the unit and the associated caching features to be great. I love being able to follow the arrow and trust that the cache will be there, without the boomerang.

I went through a couple of Maggies and switched to a Garmin 60CS. I'm much happier with the unit and the size doesn't bug me. It's about the same size as the SporTrak that I had. All in all, the 60CS works extremely well. If I had to complain about something I would say the compass is a little touchy and I find myself wanting to calibrate it more than I should have to. I don't think you'd be disappointed with it.

I had a Garmin Vista for 4 years and loved it until the day I lost it.

In the time period between buying a new 60CS, I borrowed a Sportrac and and noticed some interesting differences.

The last 30 feet using the Garmins is where the problem exists. They never seem to point to one spot.

The Sportrac however, almost never waivered and pinpointed coordinates. But did lag as others have stated.

In poor reception areas the 60CS is remarkable. Even in Manhattan I can get a good fix. The Sportrac and Vista couldn't even 'see' a single satellite on most occasions.

So far, I'm very impressed with the 60CS and would highly recommend it.

My recommendation would be the 60CS ot 76CS. The 60CS would be it unless you needed the added memory for driving.

They are both actually the same unit with different cases and more memory in the 76CS. The 76 has a more detailed basemap but I would recommend the City Select sofwtare, in which case the basemap isn't really used. The two units (4 if you count the 60C and 76C) use the exact same firmware.

The 60CS can do it all if you add in City Select. It'll get you to the parking are and then to the cache. I only went with the 76CS for longer driving trips we take (vacation) and wanting to have the City Select map segments loaded for the entire route vs use the base map.

I really think you should go with one of those 2 units. Yes, you can drop down to lower units that now also auto route, but I don't think less then 64MB is really convenient for that. I had 19MB on my GPS V and it was very restrictive (besides being slow since it was serial and not USB).

The 60CS is ~$400 and then you'd want to get the Auto Kit which is about another $160. It comes with City Select, the bean bag mount (unless you want to mount it more permanently to the dash) and the car power adapter. City Select alone is about $120 so the auto kit is a good deal. You're looking at $560 + tax.

The Etrex model is $320 so I really think the 60CS is a better value for $80 more. The Legend model is $280 which is more equivalent to the 60C (no electronic compass). Both these models have auto routing too, so you'd need City Select for detailed level maps but with 24MB you'd be limited in the detailed map segments you could load.

I LOVE my Vista. If I have 18ft accuracy it is usually dead on, unless I am in NJ where everything was about 50ft off the last time I was there.

But I am having the typical screen troubles that others have talked about and I am trying NOT to buy a new GPSr - though it would be nice. I know many people who have switched from Magellan to Garmin (ok, maybe like 5?). But that seems to be the trend and most reasons for the switch are because of the Magellan boomerang or slingshot effect.

Now, I will admit, that I have a secret stash of money right now - at about $350 and growing which will be used for a new GPSr. If I were to go and get one today, it would probably be the 60CS. But as I said, I am trying not to get one yet. I would like to wait and see what Garmin comes out with next.

Unless something better comes along, I will probably be a Garmin user for life.

If you have or are considering getting a PPC in the future, consider a GPS unit without autonavigation. My PPC is great for driving with its large screen and voice prompts. Then you can get by with something less expensive like the Legend C or Vista C in the woods. (I'm still using my old Vista). The money saved on the GPS and City Select etc will buy the PPC's navigation program like Mapopolis at 100.00 and leave another 200.00 for other things.

Edited by Alan2

Having only had SporTraks (SporTrak, SporTrak Map, SporTrak Pro) and primarily search in NW New Jersey, I can only provide one very odd recommendation. When I carry both the Map and Pro and hold them together, they settle faster and seem to lock onto the target faster. Go figure! :rolleyes:

I'm not sure anything is spot on up here. I often go with Tick Magnets (Garmin 60 CS) and am always shocked by the wild goose chases that unit leads him on while his son (Garmin eTrex) and I carry on. He usually arrives at the spot 10 minutes later. I do experience the SporTrak Slingshot (and frequently ribbed by Avroair about it on group hikes) but do eventually land spot on.

For rapid accuracy, I'm not sure I've seen anything beat Tick Magnet's son's eTrex. I rarely get in front of him when we hunt together.

If it counts for anything, up here in NW NJ my SporTrak beats the snot out of the Garmins for holding a signal. On my mountain bike, that's a BIG plus...:anicute:

I thank everyone for their input. Since I lost my Legend I have been using my old Garmin e-map. That unit eventually gets me to where I want to go but it is very slow to react and is horrible under any kind of tree cover. I use my GPS'r strictually for caching/hiking so I'm looking for the best unit for that application. I'm leaning towards the 60CS or Legend C with the iFinder being a possibility. Any other thoughts?

I thank everyone for their input. Since I lost my Legend I have been using my old Garmin e-map. That unit eventually gets me to where I want to go but it is very slow to react and is horrible under any kind of tree cover. I use my GPS'r strictually for caching/hiking so I'm looking for the best unit for that application. I'm leaning towards the 60CS or Legend C with the iFinder being a possibility. Any other thoughts?

I'd say that if you're only hiking/geocaching the Legend C or Vista C might be the way to go. You probably don't need all the bells, whistles and memory that the 60CS, or 76CS offer (Does the Legend C have a geocaching mode similar to the 60C? It's not a big deal, but is a nice feature).

Though on long hikes I like that I can clip my 60CS anywhere and get great reception. I had to make sure my Vista was clipped to the top of the shoulder strap of my pack so it would stay flat. I don't know much about the iFinder, but most people who have them seem to like them. If you already have the Garmin mapping software (I greatly prefer Topo for geocaching/hiking), you might want to stick with Garmin.

I, too, had the Vista (didn't lose it, but bought the 60CS anyways; wife didn't know it until it showed up). the Vista was quite reliable, as I only had it in for service once in the three years (?) I had it. So far, the 60CS is like a dream. I can lock it on my backpack and not lose satellites (the Vista constantly lose reception unless I was holding it in my hand . . .). It is remarkable accurate, and superfast.

And I like the color.

And I like the big screen.

And I like all the cool features.

And I can run two batteries for a long, long time (the Vista ATE the silly things up quickly -- Home Depot has 36 AA batteries for 11.96).

I still have the Vista out of sentimental purposes, but probably should sell it to make the wife a little happier at my deceiving her. . . .

And I can run two batteries for a long, long time (the Vista ATE the silly things up quickly -- Home Depot has 36 AA batteries for 11.96)

That's another nice feature of the 60CS. Great battery life. My Vista ate batteries like potato chips. It seems I can't get them to die in the 60CS. I've left the thing on overnight and it was still going strong in the morning. I'm getting around 24 hours with rechargables and 30ish with Energizers.

That's another nice feature of the 60CS. Great battery life. My Vista ate batteries like potato chips.

Home Depot also has rechargables and a recharger for $19.95 - Which will save you on the long run.... It charges in 15 minutes.

No one should post about deceiving their wives in this forum since they will read it sooner or later :o Right Skully and Mulder? <_<

wife didn't know it until it showed up

BTW, an updated software version (3.61) was just posted on 1/27 for the 60CS.

The WIFE never knows until it arrives ;) Well, I did make an exception this week when I took her to the SonyStyle store in Garden State Plaza to show her the 50" Rear Projection LCD (KDF50WE655) I was about to order. She didn't say no. :D

The 3.61 beta, for those considering updating their unit with it, seems to have an intermittent track recording issue, so you might want to hold off for now if tracks are important to you.

Edited by Team DEMP

The 60 CS has auto-routing right? My etrex legend is beat, I punched in coordinates for parking down in Maryland this weekend and at GZ it said I was 2.45 miles away! :mad: (yes, I double and triple checked the coordinates, even took a new waypoint which promptly told me i was again 2.45 miles away).

I am thinking of purchasing a 60 CS since the 76 is the size of a PC! Anyone have a good link to show features?

Edit: Brian, What is geocaching mode, does the unit sign the log for you? B)

Edited by avroair
I am thinking of purchasing a 60 CS since the 76 is the size of a PC! Anyone have a good link to show features?

Edit: Brian, What is geocaching mode, does the unit sign the log for you?  B)

Garmin's Site

Geocache mode is the compass screen when you can add notes to (like the hint). When you find it, it marks it found in your GPSr along with the time you found it. It then also tells you the next closest cache.

Autorouting is great although you have to pay the extra $100 for the mapsource software.

Final note, the 76 is about the same size, the only difference is the antenna is enclosed vs covered (see below).

pt-GPSMAP60CSSmall.jpgpt-GPSMAP76CSSmall.jpg

Personally, I have and like the 60CS. The only big differences I've seen/heard of are as follows... The 76cs has the buttons on top so I think it would be awkward to use them while looking at the screen. Also, it's supposed to have an antenna that doesn't work as well as the 60cs. However, it has double the memory of the 60cs so when it comes to maps you upload, it has it way beat!

I have to replace my Vista. It has served me very well. The interface is broken. I was thinking of the 60MAP CS. The only thing that bothers me is the size. I like that the Vista is so small and compact and takes a lot of abuse while hiking. I worry that the 60 CS is much bigger, and a bit more cumbersome. Any insights from experience would be appreciated.

I have to replace my Vista. It has served me very well. The interface is broken. I was thinking of the 60MAP CS. The only thing that bothers me is the size. I like that the Vista is so small and compact and takes a lot of abuse while hiking. I worry that the 60 CS is much bigger, and a bit more cumbersome. Any insights from experience would be appreciated.

While I've never used the Vista so I can't compare very well, the 60 is a BIG GPSr. There's no two ways about it. It does come with a belt clip and string. I usually have it in a pocket attached by the sting to a belt loop. I almost never use the belt clip as I took it off to fit it in the holder in the car and can't be bothered to put it back on.

Sorry for the digression there. I don't abuse mine very much... I can see your worry about it being cumbersome. The best advice I can say is find someone around you who has the one you like and try it. Or buy it from a place with a good return policy. I like mine a lot (other than lack of significant memory but it's minor, I've not had a problem with that), and think it can take some abuse.

Avroair,

I love my 60CS, it's the one I've used the longest. I've had (and still have) a SporTrak color and a Legend and the 60CS fits the bill for me the best. I can see continuing to use it until it dies. I never get the itch for "something better" like I did with the others.

:lol:

I, too, had the Vista (didn't lose it, but bought the 60CS anyways; wife didn't know it until it showed up).  the Vista was quite reliable, as I only had it in for service once in the three years (?) I had it.  So far, the 60CS is like a dream.  I can lock it on my backpack and not lose satellites (the Vista constantly lose reception unless I was holding it in my hand . . .).  It is remarkable accurate, and superfast.

And I like the color.

And I like the big screen.

And I like all the cool features.

And I can run two batteries for a long, long time (the Vista ATE the silly things up quickly -- Home Depot has 36 AA batteries for 11.96).

I still have the Vista out of sentimental purposes, but probably should sell it to make the wife a little happier at my deceiving her. . . .

Well, now that I have put some miles on the 60cs, I have discovered a problem: the little button on the back that holds the unit in its cradle. I have had the screw break on me once (Garmin replaced it), and i have had the button work itself out, finding my unit hitting the ground.

It seems the walking motion moves the gps just enough that it unscrews itself.

I have yet to figure a solution that won't be warrenty voiding.

have you tried loc-tite? Mine's in there pretty tight, haven't had it work loose in over a year of use.

edit: I don't really use the belt clip that often which may be the reason it hasn't worked lose. I use the gc.com lanyard for transport.

Edited by robert

I love my new Garmin Legend C which I bought last week. I tested it against my old basic etrex and what a huge difference. The Legend C brought me within 4 ft of the caches while the etrex would get me within 30 to 50 feet and this was in the Palisades. Plus the GPS is in color!!! I got it for around 200.00.

I think you would like it.

Jerseytrex

I love my new Garmin Legend C which I bought last week. I tested it against my old basic etrex and what a huge difference. The Legend C brought me within 4 ft of the caches while the etrex would get me within 30 to 50 feet and this was in the Palisades. Plus the GPS is in color!!! I got it for around 200.00.

I think you would like it.

Jerseytrex

I use the gc.com lanyard for transport.

THAT'S what that big goofy thing was around your neck!!! And I thought you just already knew where the caches were!!! (was it the 60 CS that led you to try and cross that 3 foot deep, 20 foot wide river? :lol: ) J/K. :D

But seriously, now, does it really sign the log for you! :D:D

You will notice that many of the people who replied use the 60cs. there is a reason for that, garmin came through with a unit that has what the people want. It has an amazing screen, good maps, large memory, GREAT antenna, and all the other bells and whistles to boot. You really can't go wrong with that unit.

For the belt clip, just get in the habit of tightening it every now and then. i keep it on my hip al the time and it's still tight.

Joe Smith

THAT'S what that big goofy thing was around your neck!!! And I thought you just already knew where the caches were!!! (was it the 60 CS that led you to try and cross that 3 foot deep, 20 foot wide river? :blink: ) J/K. :P

But seriously, now, does it really sign the log for you! :rolleyes::(

:huh:

Doesn't sign the log BUT it comes close. It keeps all the GC#'s in the built-in calendar so I can log them easily when I get home without having to write them down.

:P

About a year ago I posted the same topic on the Northeast page. I wound up buying the 60cs. Mine has bounced down hills and fell off the dash quite a bit.

I like that you can put it your top pocket and it still track sats. Also it gets reception form the passenger seat.(after it falls off the dash) I have a topo map on it from lower Vermont to Delmar. I keep about 1000 waypoints on it. The only problem I have I can't get the usb driver to work on xp so I use the serial cord from my old garmin 38.

What is the most expensive consumer landuse handheld unit on the market ? Does anyone know. That type of unit will normally be a big seller for there are those consumers who will always buy beyond their needs. The entire automotive marketing science was developed with that in mind years ago. It has become the model for all subsequent marketing designs.

Hobbiest are easy to sell to , they have passion and are easily lead into believing that they can't do without something. Look at golfers, they all have at least 12 putters. Why I bet some cachers have more than one unit, and they will claim they need a backup. :rolleyes:

Edited by Packanack
What is the most expensive consumer landuse handheld unit on the market ? Does anyone know. That type of unit will normally be a big seller for there are those consumers who will always buy beyond their needs. The entire automotive marketing science was developed with that in mind years ago. It has become the model for all subsequent marketing designs.

Hobbiest are easy to sell to , they have passion and are easily lead into believing that they can't do without something. Look at golfers, they all have at least 12 putters. Why I bet some cachers have more than one unit, and they will claim they need a backup. :lol:

Why I bet some cachers have more than one unit, and they will claim they need a backup. laugh.gif

Because I was given 4 of them for free! :lol:

I have a magellan sportrek map and a sprotrek color, but I don't like the magellan slingshot...

The 60 CS has auto routing, (useful in New Jersey where driving to a cache takes longer than finding it!)

Well, now that I have put some miles on the 60cs, I have discovered a problem: the little button on the back that holds the unit in its cradle. I have had the screw break on me once (Garmin replaced it), and i have had the button work itself out, finding my unit hitting the ground.

It seems the walking motion moves the gps just enough that it unscrews itself.

I have yet to figure a solution that won't be warrenty voiding.

I got in the habit of checking it every time I put it on. I also use the laynard and clip it t a carabiner on my belt loop so if the clip does fail, the unit doesn't fall to the ground.

Does anyone else have a problem with the 60cs needing it's compass calibrated too frequently

Nope, only when I change the batteries.

Why I bet some cachers have more than one unit, and they will claim they need a backup.

I have 3. :lol: .

What is the most expensive consumer landuse handheld unit on the market ? Does anyone know.

Though its chiefly for auto navigation the Garmin Quest is small and light enough to be used as a handheld. Its $600, so I bet its probably the most expensive. I think the Garmin Map 76CS is probably the most expensive unit that is primarialy a handheld.

Edited by briansnat

"Rino Rino Rino Rino"... I've been happy with mine, but it's the only GPS I've ever owned...so I have no basis for comparison. It's really cool if you have a couple of 'em so you can share locations (they even allow transmission on GMRS now).

As others have said, watch that the thingie (techie term) in back doesn't unscrew - but I've put a foam washer there and it keeps it tight. Another suggestion (already made) was to use some Loctite.... (available in autoparts stores) that'll keep it from working lose accidently but still allow you to remove it if you'd like to in the future (get the blue or purple stuff.... it's not so strong).

Good luck!

Does anyone else have a problem with the 60cs needing it's compass calibrated too frequently?

each time i change the batteries.

but i have a friend who says hers needs to be calibrated frequently... not sure if that's user error or not.

is yours giving you fits?

I have come back to this thread for the first time since I bought my Garmin 60CS. Overall I'm very happy with the unit. Initially I had issues with the electronic compass but now that I have a good feel with the way that it works, I'm very happy with it. I think there is a bit of a learning curve with this unit - if you just follow the "ARROW" you might be led to believe that it is an inferior GPS'r. I found if you just look at the distance to your location, the unit will consistantly bring you within 10' of the same spot - you just really need to use the thing to reap all the benefits.

Does anyone else have a problem with the 60cs needing it's compass calibrated too frequently?

No, I do it when I change the batteries, other than that it's good

I rarely find myself needin to calibrate it. Not sure if that says something about my caching skills or that I just think it works well. I usually only calibrate it when I have trouble finding a cache.

I rarely find myself needin to calibrate it. Not sure if that says something about my caching skills or that I just think it works well. I usually only calibrate it when I have trouble finding a cache.

and when you change batteries. :D

if i'm having trouble or getting weird readings, i recalibrate just to see if it helps. sometimes it does get it to settle down again but that could just be me.

i love it.