Ever found a cache that you thought was a complete waste of time?

Friendswood Four

Well, we had 2 today! I'm wondering how other people feel about caches like this, though. One of the main reasons we started doing this was to get out and find new areas that have some appeal or importance (nice scenery, historical site, etc). We've found lots of very nice parks we didn't know existed, hiking trails we've never been on, and even saw dinosaur tracks at a cache site last weekend. We love exploring new places and finding those hidden "gems."

Well, today for the first time, we came across 2 caches that we thought were a complete and utter waste of our time. One was in a field just a few feet behind an old nursing home and you had to park next to an old broken down van that obviously had not been in running condition for quite a long time. The cache was very easy to find (so no challenge there) and the site was just plain ugly. There was trash strewn all over, and absolutely nothing appealing about this location.

The second was just as bad, if not worse. It was just off a highway, down a short gravel driveway, next to an old abandoned building. Again, there was trash all over, and stuffed dumped at the end of this road. The cache was close by and we found where it should have been about 3 feet into this overgrown area, but it was so full of thorn bushes and the area was so awful, we turned around and left without making an attempt at actually retrieving the cache.

So, my question is, am I expecting too much? Why would someone put a cache in such a dumpy spot when there are much nicer places very close by? Is it in poor taste to put a cache in an easy to reach but very trashy area? I would think so, but then again I'm still pretty new and may just be expecting too much.

My next question is how would you log something like this? Would you be brutally honest that you thought the cache was a waste of time? How many enemies would I make how quickly if I said something like that??? icon_wink.gif I don't want to **** anyone off, but come on, I KNOW they could have found much better hiding spots for these caches.

There is an easy solution to this problem. Simply place your own cache in a better place. That way the next person that is looking in that area will have the option of finding one that isn't "a complete waste of time".

I do think you should describe the area in your log. Give others the option of avoiding it.

Remember, not every cache can be in a beautiful or historical spot. Sometimes you just have to appreciate the effort of the person that placed it. At least they tried. Besides, the hunt is the important part. Whether it takes five minutes to find it or five hours. At least you're out doing something you enjoy.

Yep...I've seen a few that I considered not really worth my time. I won't say which cache, but there was one that involved a long set of stairs adn the mint tin was basically thrown in the Ivy. Jeez man! What's the point? More DNFs than finds so maybe the challenge? Anyhow, the hint was totally lame...An Ivy League Hide. Nothing special about the hide location.

However, those caches are in the minority of my 926 Finds. Probably just three or four come to mind>

In a way, you could probably say all of the caches I found were a waste of time. I can't think of a thing I took out of one off the top of my head. Nothing memorable, or that left an impression.

As for the hunt, adventure, getting outside. I love it. Remember, one mans junk is anothers treasure. It can apply to a whole lot of life. The trick is try to figure out what made it worthwhile to someone else.

I was at the Dinasaur State park last weekend also. It was a nice trip. All the caches I found on that trip took me to some real nice places. There is also a cache only about 15 miles from where I live and I havent visited it yet because the description of it says its in the middle of the woods and hog tracks are all around. Not my cup o tea so it will be saved for a day that I dont want to drive very far and I'm bored.

"WITHOUT GEOGRAPHY YOU'RE NOWHERE....Jimmy Buffett

(Originally posted to "What's the dumbest cache location you've seen?)

posted August 05, 2003 10:26 AM

Let's not call it "dumb," just a newbie mistake. I wanted to be the FTF a cache in my area so I jumped on my trusty bicycle and rode the nearly 10 miles to the cache site. I thought something might be wrong as I cruised into the suburban neighborhood. The coordinates led me exactly to the front door of the newbie's house! (I confirmed this by telephone from a nearby pay phone.)

He apologized for the mistake and promised to check and repost the coordinates later that day (he was at work when I called him.)

So I rode home and monitered the cache for a few hours and when the new coordinates appeared, I headed out again...this time up a huge hill.

After 45 minutes of bushwacking through a rain forest on the edge of a cliff, (yes..in Indiana) I had to abandon the project for a lesser appreciated one called work.

I logged the cache as a no-find. A few days later the cache was archived!

As far as Im concerned, it should have been named: "What a Waste of Time."

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

There have been a few caches we have not enjoyed, mainly because the areas were quite nasty. We usually give up on them and move on to other caches. I am not OCD about unfound caches.

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

quote:

So, my question is, am I expecting too much?

In my personal opinion... No! You're not expecting too much. As the previous Geocachers said, Geocaching is about the hunt, hiking, going out, etc... I aggree everything! But a minimum of "quality" should be present in every cache; Be the place/views, the historical value of the place or the hike (a cache that requires a long/nice walk accross the nature to get there and the final spot is just "normal").

Once, I found a cache that I wouldn't place or, at least, I would place some kilometres away in a much better spot than that (kind of a cache placed during vacations by someone that was in a hurry to take the plane back home icon_wink.gif ) I logged it as a find but without any kind of excitment or "good cache" or "thanks". Just a cold, found log (The cache was placed before the rules has changed about placing caches on vacations. So, it's ok in this.)

quote:

My next question is how would you log something like this? Would you be brutally honest that you thought the cache was a waste of time? How many enemies would I make how quickly if I said something like that??? icon_wink.gif I don't want to **** anyone off, but come on, I KNOW they could have found much better hiding spots for these caches.

I would be honest in my log saying what I thought about the cache/place - a "cold/formal report of what was found".

Just avoid any personal judgment/opinion of what it should be - "Don't make it personal".

Manuel Antunes

I'm not sure if I'd call them a complete waste of time, but I've found quite a few caches in areas that could described politely as "less than interesting". Others call them eyesores.

For these, my log usually reads something like "Found it,TNLN, thanks". I don't think its my place to criticize the cache placement of others (unless there is something dangerous, or illegal about it, or if its impacting a sensitive area).

If you want to weed caches like this out, check the cache page. By looking at the Topozone and Mapblast maps, that can tell you a lot about the area the cache is in. Also the terrain difficulty can be an indicator. I doubt many 3 star terrain caches are in dumps behind department stores. If it's a 1/1, you might be a bit more wary and investigate further (but I have found many interesting 1/1's).

Finally read the logs. If you see a lot of "Found it, TNLN", thanks" logs, you can be pretty sure it's a stinker because I'm not the only person who does this.

quote:
Remember, not every cache can be in a beautiful or historical spot. Sometimes you just have to appreciate the effort of the person that placed it. At least they tried.

I have to wonder about this sometimes. How much effort is involved in dumping some broken toys from the bottom of your kid's toy chest into a Gladware container, adding a pencil (often optional), a sheet of paper and tossing it in the garbage strewn woods behind the Wal-Mart?

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on August 10, 2003 at 07:51 AM.]

I placed my first cache yesterday near the diesel pumps at a gas station across the street from my business. With the long hours that I work I wanted my first cache to be close by so I could easily manage it. There is nothing scenic or special about diesel pumps, I suppose it could be called a waste of time. I did however name the cache "Diesel & Concrete" so I don't think anyone would expect a breathtaking vista.

Caching is different things to different people. To some it's about the hunt, to others it's about nature and getting away from more civilized environs yet others just want to log as many finds as they possibly can, or so it seems to me. As a newbie I'd be thrilled to find a cache in the weeds behind WalMart, I havn't yet been on a hunt, although I plan to go today if I have the time. If I end up at WalMart so be it, I'll be happy.

"You shouldn't regret things that you did, only things that you didn't do."

I personally wouldn't go as far as to say I've found any that were a complete waste of time. I would agree with BrianSnat though and say some have been less interesting. I guess to me, for the most part, there are usually specific reasons one places a cache where they do. Sometimes you'll find caches in a junk heap in order to promote caching in and trashing out to help clean it up. You might find a cache in the middle of an urban overgrown lot full of weeds. Maybe the hider used to live in a house that stood there years ago...maybe they wanted to bring you to a part of town that has interesting history otherwise, maybe they were just new and that was sort of a practice run. In most cases it would be more impressive if the hider made their intentions known. For example...I have an unimpressive cache hidden near a pond in my townhouse complex. Every apartment/condo/townhouse complex has a pond...big deal. I did it to test out containers, since it's about 500feet from where I live, and it's also an easy find, intentionally, to help new folks get acquainted with geocaching. Plus I wanted to watch people in the process of caching, since I can see it from one of my windows (46 logs and about 8 months later and I've never caught one person in action). I'm not saying that bad caches don't happen, I guess I just try to keep an open mind about it. I also make it clear on caches that I hide, the reason that I hid it.

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

Department of the Army Field Manual FM 21-76 "Survival" Oct. 1970

quote:
As a newbie I'd be thrilled to find a cache in the weeds behind WalMart, I havn't yet been on a hunt

I'm sure at this stage any cache hunt would be exctiting to you. However, I trust that by the 10th time you cross through a homeless encampment and step over discarded matresses and human feces, or work your way past old refigerators and washing machines, rusted hulks of long abandoned cars and climb over mounds waterfilled tires and discarded beer cans to reach a cache filled with slimy green water and a wet, moldy logbook, it will get old.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
That's a vivid picture you painted there BrianSnat.

Yeah, but I've found caches in areas like this. Come to think of it, I may have placed some too...but at least the logbooks are dry icon_wink.gif.

As a newbie, I've logged 6 caches, close to home. All were in spots I was familiar but havn't spent any time, was nice to see them. There was one behind a shopping center that was a little uninteresting, but still fun to find.

Anyways, Brian, what is TNLN? Curious, I found that in a couple of logs on my way this past weekend.

Thanks. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by CuriousZ's:

As a newbie, I've logged 6 caches, close to home. All were in spots I was familiar but havn't spent any time, was nice to see them. There was one behind a shopping center that was a little uninteresting, but still fun to find.

A new cache was recently placed in the parking log of supermarket near my home. I went over and quickly found it. I thought it would have been a lot nicer if the cache had been placed in a little park a few blocks away. Still I manage to get the satisfaction of being the first to find. Since then, others have visited this cache. Most remarked that they found it worthwhile since the cache was hidden in a new or interesting way. I didn't think the hide was all that clever. I found it right away. But others did find it worth doing and some of them have a lot more finds than I have.

There are as many reasons to enjoy geocaching as there are geocachers. Just because you found some cache less than worthwhile doesn't mean that someone else won't enjoy finding that cache

東西南北

Why do I always find it in the last place I look?

Maybe a few crappy ones will make you better appreciate the good ones.

I'd just put "Unremarkable location, easy find" in the log & go to the next one.

I think a couple of people misunderstood you to be commenting on the contents of the container.

Personally, I couldn't care much less. I didn't even look what was in a couple of them. As long as there's a logbook, I'm happy.

I hope that someday we will be able to put away

our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

...I'm sure at this stage any cache hunt would be exctiting to you. However, I trust that by the 10th time you cross through a homeless encampment and step over discarded matresses and human feces, or work your way past old refigerators and washing machines, rusted hulks of long abandoned cars and climb over mounds waterfilled tires and discarded beer cans to reach a cache filled with slimy green water and a wet, moldy logbook, it will get old....

That sounds interesting to me! Haven't you ever noticed that some of these spots actually are quite scenic? I swear lately some of the coolest spots are some guys spank zone. No, I don't explain it to my kids. I let them throw rocks in the creek and have fun.

quote:
Originally posted by dizwendy:

One was in a field just a few feet behind an old nursing home and you had to park next to an old broken down van that obviously had not been in running condition for quite a long time. The cache was very easy to find (so no challenge there) and the site was just plain ugly. There was trash strewn all over, and absolutely nothing appealing about this location.

The second was just as bad, if not worse. It was just off a highway, down a short gravel driveway, next to an old abandoned building. Again, there was trash all over, and stuffed dumped at the end of this road. The cache was close by and we found where it should have been about 3 feet into this overgrown area, but it was so full of thorn bushes and the area was so awful, we turned around and left without making an attempt at actually retrieving the cache.

Log entry: "This is GEOcaching, not GhettoCaching!" icon_smile.gif

No, that would be rude. I know what you mean, though - sometimes the best cache is one not planted.

I don't think we've ever had a waste of time hunt, except for possibly the micro (a film cannister) hidden in the woods where the GPS was all over the place. There were dozens of places there for a regular cache. What we have found is two or three caches that had nothing but trash in them, and I do mean trash. Yesterday in one we found a broken AOL CD and the tags off of some of the cache contents. I mean, if you're going to take something, take the tag with you and throw it away later, not back in the cache. We've also found caches with a bunch of torn ziploc bags. We carry extras to replace ones that need replacing, but we take the torn ones out and throw them away in the garbage. How much effort does that really take? I don't think the principle behind "Cache In, Trash Out" is to put your trash in the cache container itself.

Never found one that I would call a complete waste of time. I not found one that pissed me off pretty good though.

I have hidden one that was a complete waste of time, but people liked it. I actually drove up to a pole in the middle of a parking lot, reached out the window, and stuck a magnetized altoids tin there. The coordinates were spot-on, easy easy find. You didn’t even have to unbuckle your seat belt! It got more hits-per-time than I’ve ever seen. It might be gone for good so I’ve replaced it with a better container in a new location. You just never know….

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

i'm kind of a fan of urban decay, so a clever hide in a yicky spot might be just my ticket. an easy hide in a great spot might be, too.

ANY dirve-n-dump will annoy me, and caches for which the description reads "i felt this area needed more caches so i came out of my home range to put it here" burn my butt. same with "this is my first time in the area so i didn't have time to research better". those seem to me to lock out a good cache any future cachers in the area might create.

we interpret TNLNSL to mean Took Nothing Left Nothing Said Little. we know the standard interpretation. we just prefer ours. it's kind of a statement.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

quote:
Durn it-- I promised at the Catskill event that I would find a BrianSnat cache before year's end.

The clock's ticking Met. Just placed two more today! And no human feces to dodge. Maybe some bear and deer poop.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

I swear lately some of the coolest spots are some guys spank zone. No, I don't explain it to my kids. I let them throw rocks in the creek and have fun.

Spank zone...That is an interesting turn of a phrase...Hope you never encounter a spanker...especially if you have your kids with you...Then you'd really have some explaining to do...

The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.---Matthew 13:44

Matt & Julia

To view our online geocaching diary/blog, click here

I wish outer space guys would conquer the Earth and make people their pets, because I'd like to have one of those little beds with my name on it.

- Jack Handey (aka Jack Handy)

I guess my take on this issue is that Geocaching cannot always be all things to all people. For some people the thrill of the hunt is what is important. For others its the geo-trash at the end of the GPSrainbow. Some people do it for exercise or to see interesting sights or nature.....

Maybe a category should be added to the cache page to identify if the cache site is of historical interest or wildlife viewing, interesting geology, etc.... Of course these ideas can be pretty subjective but at least it might give a hunter an idea of what they might expect.

So far, the thrill of the hunt has kept me going. When I go out to cache, I usually try to find as many as I can because my time is limited. I usually pay very little attention to the scenery or surroundings. As I gain more experience and the "newness" wears off, I'm sure I will do so at a more leasurely pace and will take in more of the sights.

I am Lothar, King of the Hill people. I have many tails to tell....

Mr. O is the only one who has begun to mention what I'm thinking here. Perhaps, just maybe, the spot is nice, but the trash is overwhelming, and the cache hider is hoping that with 10 or 20 visits by dedicated cachers that each one will take a small bag of garbage out with them. And in no time the spot will be pristine again. Remember, Cache in, Trash out. That's our motto and I'm sticking to it.

Take nothing but a photograph (and old dirty golf balls), leave nothing but a footprint (and really cool trade items)

Cache you later,

Planet

So many caches, so little time.

Actually, I think Planet and Mr. O have it on the head, here, and that's a great reason to leave a cache in a badly-littered park.

Of course, it behooves you to include that information in both the cache page and in the log book/instruction sheets.

Actually, a cache of just garbage bags would be kind of cool, you know.....

Originally posted by Planet:

"...Perhaps, just maybe, the spot is nice, but the trash is overwhelming, and the cache hider is hoping that with 10 or 20 visits by dedicated cachers that each one will take a small bag of garbage out with them. And in no time the spot will be pristine again.

=================================================

Exactly what I had in mind with this cache.

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

I understand your frustration, but don't be too discouraged. Caches and the caching experience vary a lot. You will soon learn the particular people in your area whose caches you like to seek. Alternatively, you can concentrate on particular areas/parks that are more to your liking. I know we particularly like caching in Texas State parks. Since I was spending so much time looking for caches in those parks, I finally put it together in one site, Guide to Geocaches in Texas State Parks . I put it together for our use, but then spruced it up a little for general use. Please feel free to use the site if it helps. Some of those caches are lame, too, but more often than not they are enjoyable because of the location. Some of them are spectacular.

Alchemist2000

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

My experience to date, which isn't much yet, is that all caches have had their value in one sense or another. Some people find certain places of more interest than others. I don't do a ton of Geocaches so I take the time to research which ones I think are worth it for me. There are several I've passed up based on owner and finder descriptions. It has saved me time and so far haven't wasted any time on a search.

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."

quote:
Originally posted by dizwendy:

Well, we had 2 today! I'm wondering how other people feel about caches like this, though. One of the main reasons we started doing this was to get out and find new areas that have some appeal or importance (nice scenery, historical site, etc). We've found lots of very nice parks we didn't know existed, hiking trails we've never been on, and even saw dinosaur tracks at a cache site last weekend. We love exploring new places and finding those hidden "gems."

Well, today for the first time, we came across 2 caches that we thought were a complete and utter waste of our time. One was in a field just a few feet behind an old nursing home and you had to park next to an old broken down van that obviously had not been in running condition for quite a long time. The cache was very easy to find (so no challenge there) and the site was just plain ugly. There was trash strewn all over, and absolutely nothing appealing about this location.

So, my question is, am I expecting too much? Why would someone put a cache in such a dumpy spot when there are much nicer places very close by? Is it in poor taste to put a cache in an easy to reach but very trashy area? I would think so, but then again I'm still pretty new and may just be expecting too much.

NO

If the cache is a real stinker, write a very nice log about the weather, your drive over, the previous cache your visited, the next cache you'll visit, something funny your spouse told you, what you had for lunch, etc., etc., and don't write one word about your experience with the offending cache. People will know what you're saying. icon_wink.gif

quote:
If the cache is a real stinker, write a very nice log about the weather, your drive over, the previous cache your visited, the next cache you'll visit, something funny your spouse told you, what you had for lunch, etc., etc., and don't write one word about your experience with the offending cache. People will know what you're saying.

Hmmmm, I guess yer logs about the mosquitos at my latest cache should tell me something.

quote:

Hmmmm, I guess yer logs about the mosquitos at my latest cache should tell me something.

Well, the mosquitos had no interest in me AND I talked about the hike, etc.. But as you know, I was caching with my daughter, who was "savagely attacked." In my experience, nobody can whine and kvetch like a 13yo girl.

Except for a few of the "known forum malcontents," that is. icon_wink.gif

The worst time geocaching is better than the best time working...the old fishing/vacation/general recreation addage.

We got into this for the excercise and to be together outside. Even the crappiest cache does this for us. I burn fat cells even when I DNF, fall in the creek, get PI, stick myself with thorns, get snakebit (almost - see Fish Eye View cache), get dirty, sweaty, sunburned, or wet, picking up trash or looking for new cache-hiding locations. We still enjoy good caches more, but we idle at 'happy' not 'crappy'. It just gets better from there!

Take nothing for granted. Life is too short not to enjoy what you're doing.

Thanks

astrojr1&G-O-GardenerGal

quote:

I always say a bad day of geocaching is better than a good day of being smeared with honey and staked to the ground next to a mound of fire ants.

Umm, aren't they the same thing?

Hey, if you have mosquito bait, just give her a bag of chips to keep her mouth busy. Good mosquito diverters are hard to find!

If you didn't like a cache, I think you should say so. If it's one of mine (...in the future) please tell me what you didn't like. Whine away. Maybe I'll take it into account on the next one I place.

But, a vacant field behind a rest home doesn't sound bad. You can watch them bring the "former residents" out the back door.

Abandoned buildings can be interesting... I see them and wonder about their history. Did some business go bankrupt? Did some family have to flee the state?

If nothing else, they have a clear shot to the sky and allow you to compare your GPS ouput with other people's... if it consistentlt reads that the cache is off in some direction by a few yards, you know it's out of calibration (not that there is a calibration).

Take each cache for what it is. If it'd make an easy beginner's cache, put that in your Log entry.

If it's one that could use a little cleanup let people know so they can bring a trashbag with them.

But keep in mind that not every cache will be spectacular.

The notion that a "lesser" cache will stop anyone from putting a fantastic one nearby is really not that likely... if a cache is that bad, I doubt there'd be a fantastic spot less than .1 mile away.

I hope that someday we will be able to put away

our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.