Phone A Friend?

kbootb

I recently met some of the cachers in the Hert/Beds area. Clearly a group of people that get on well. I have been attempting some of their caches, great ones they are too... and some are devious.

I noticed on the logs that they sometimes phone each other... sometimes the cache owner and sometimes aprevious finder... for a clue.

Two thoughts come to mind.

1) Is this sort of 'cheating'. If you don't happen to know other cachers and their phone numbers you are at a disadvantage. ( Not cheating in the "this should be outlawed" sense, more "wouldn't you feel that you had cheated yourself")

2) More seriously... in one case I can't imagine what help they could have given over a phone.

It was in a dense copse, 200 ft from the path. Unusual species of tree but there must have been 20-30 of them... so look in the roots of the ****** tree wouldn't do it. SO I have this mental image of one party trying to describe a particular tree to another ... no not the one with the sticky-up branches... the one with two branches going up and one hanging down a bit.

I can see it would work for some caches. Have you ever had to phone a friend from the cache location?

i've phoned a friend :rolleyes:

i was doing fossil transfer and after an hour of searching i phoned a non cacher to get them to look at the spoiler and describe the picture to me,i found it very amusing how they discribed the scene.it did put me looking elsewhere and i found it. :unsure:

p.s well done on you 50th on the eve of new years eve :lol:;)

Edited by steviep

I recently spent an hour or so hunting around in the dark for one of Simply Paul's and it wasn't until the following day I found out the co-ords were quite a bit out.

In the end someone found it during daylight with phone assistance, I don't know if it would have helped me find it, but a confirmation from the owner that I was looking very much in the wrong place would have certainly got me out of there and down the pub a lot quicker!

We've never telephoned anyone for help, but we have been out caching with friends and helped each other to find the caches so we can't see any difference. Remember that there are many caches with spoilers (we can never understand the motives of anyone who posts such things) and additional clues. We have also seen several caches where the logs have stated openly that it was found after seeking help either from the owner or other cachers by email.

Moral is: Enjoy the fun and don't take it all too seriously!

Yes, I have 'phoned Seasider a couple of times for help and have been the "fairy godmother" called a few times by H******** H******!

I don't like to be told exactly where the cache is hidden but rather, to have another clue so that I can still find the cache for myself.

Similarly, I will not directly tell anyone asking for help exactly where the cache is but will give them a clue/hint to help them to find it for themselves.

It was in a dense copse, 200 ft from the path. Unusual species of tree but there must have been 20-30 of them... so look in the roots of the ****** tree wouldn't do it. SO I have this mental image of one party trying to describe a particular tree to another ... no not the one with the sticky-up branches... the one with two branches going up and one hanging down a bit.

That cache sounds familiar. :rolleyes: Funnily enough, one cacher did phone us whilst out doing that cache, we were at a family party and Bekie spent a while describing the tree that it was hidden under and somehow the cache was found from the description :unsure:

Maybe 50/50 and Ask the Audience (Pub full of muggles) should be introduced, but only one a day :lol:

Aside from webcam caches, where you obviously need to phone a friend, I have phoned for help on two regular caches - the first one being three hours drive away from home (was up there visiting my mum) - looked for a while with no success before deciding to call Team Ullium who I knew had done it whilst on holiday in the area a couple of months before. I had forgotten something mentioned in the previous logs about the way this particular cache was hidden and they were able to remind me of this. Turns out I was right on top of it, but I would never have got it otherwise. Phoned for help a couple of days ago too - one cacher who I knew had done it wasn't in, so I tried Team Ullium again - they hadn't done it, so I left it as a DNF. When I got home and spoke to the first cacher I had tried phoning, I feel confident from her description that I would have been able to find the cache if I had managed to speak to her whilst I was actually at the location.

I don't see anything wrong with phoning for help IF you have spent a reasonable amount of time looking and are not able to find it. By a reasonable time, I do not mean five or ten minutes - I would say at the very least half an hour. In my case, I was either with my partner or wee lad when I did these and both were bored and ready to leave the area by the time I had to resort to phoning someone - that being the only way I could think of to actually find the cache by then.

I think that once again this sort of thing is up to the individual - if you are going to feel as if you are cheating then don't phone for extra help! Again, it's just an additional way of helping you search - like the idea of using a metal detector which I read about in these forums a wee while ago. Is phoning someone from the site any different from emailing someone for advice on an unfound cache once you've got back home?

It was quite a while before I got to know any other cachers well enough to feel comfortable phoning them - but now that we all know each other a bit better through geocaching events etc, it's nice to know that they are there to help and support you when you need it. When I found the cache whilst on the phone to Team Ullium, we were both excited and laughing out loud - it was a good feeling to be able to share the success!

I recently spent an hour or so hunting around in the dark for one of Simply Paul's and it wasn't until the following day I found out the co-ords were quite a bit out.

In the end someone found it during daylight with phone assistance, I don't know if it would have helped me find it, but a confirmation from the owner that I was looking very much in the wrong place would have certainly got me out of there and down the pub a lot quicker!

dadgum that tree cover. The co-ords of that cache have now been re-averaged with the two current finders and uploaded to the maze game as graphics... It's all rather complicated! Anyway, the call I got just confirmed that the co-ords were out by more than I felt acceptable (annoying since I'd visited the site 5 times with my etrex over an hour period and posted the average readings, all of which were in a 60ft area) - actually about 150ft - and the help I gave was to talk through the clue, which I don't think had been studied in much depth by them.

I use phone a friend as a last resort. Usually when time, weather or daylight is the pressure. Recently I have called a couple of times and then kicked myself because the cache was staring me in the face. At Oxford TB Hotel my GPSr and the clue lead me to a spot where there *wasn't* a cache but there was an empty bag and I called the last finder to check it'd not been pinched more than anything else. It hadn't and I had looked at it several times and mentally rejected it because its location didn't quite match the clue. I call this cache-blindness.

The other recent occasion was while caching with Pid and if we'd used our brains a bit more before reaching for the phone we'd have got it (it could only have been a couple of places, if we'd have thought clearly about it) but daylight had gone and the torch was fading, plus we had another cache or two to do. Anyway, I regret calling Alibags on this one, especially as it was the second call to her of the trip. Looking back at the co-ords and clue of the first one, I feel justified in calling her for that one!

So, is it cheating? No, it's bending the rules a bit, and no cache should be unfindable without the setters phone number. This is perhaps where accurate co-ords and useful cues ("It's under the needles" in a pine forest, for example! :rolleyes: ) come in. Getting the numbers of other cachers in your area might not be a bad idea, but I'd suggest they don't make life too easy for the searcher when giving their advice. What would the fun in that be? :unsure:

SP

Edited by Simply Paul
Oh my God, I don't know anyone to phone :rolleyes::lol:

Is there a UK cachers Directory of Enquires or a special cachers helpline? Wonder what the number would be, A(B-C).F(A*2)B or something like that!! ;):unsure:

Nick

Maybe I should publish a Tupperware pages :):D

I have a few numbers in my mobile and have used them twice. But its nice to talk to the people anyway. I only see it the same as caching with others.

At Oxford TB Hotel my GPSr and the clue lead me to a spot where there *wasn't* a cache but there was an empty bag

Tip - we don't use bags

Well I know that now! Also, if I'd have had the cache page with me, rather than just a note of the co-ords and clue, I'd have seen it's an ammo can which doesn't need a bag. Oh well, you live and learn. :rolleyes:

SP

1. I would never phone a friend for a clue. :rolleyes:

2. Because I ain't got any friends numbers ;)

3. I aint got any friends :lol:

4. I am too scrooge like to waste a call for a clue :)

5. I have never found a phone box near any of the caches :unsure:

Edited by McDehack

_I_ haven't pnoned anyone, though I was a party to the finding of SP's cache mentioned above, where a phone call was made. However, despite the "lateral" nature of the clue (which was labelled as cryptic, but wasn't) I'm sure I would have found this on long before the others arrived - if the co-ordinates had not been over 150 feet out.

Once we had the right general location (which is what you get from the co-ordinates) I immediately knew where the cache was. Still took me 20 minutes to locate it - but it was where I thought it would be!

And, today, I searched for getting on for an hour for one cache. The clue was no help at all - it just described the route to the general location - and I had actually given up and was returning to the car. I stopped at one of the landmarks in the clue and re-read the cache sheet. And then I decided to have another look. I simply wasn't going to be beaten!

I found the cache inside the 20 foot circle that the GPSr was indicating. And, yes, I had looked in the right place before - but not well enough!

Oh, and I'm far too cheap to call anyone's mobile from my mobile!

Bob Aldridge

break the rules? the only real rules are in the way we each do the caches. so if you want to phone a friend go ahead. i've never done it but i have emailled several times for hints. what's the difference apart from the fact i had to drive back to the cache area afterwards? so phoning would be cheaper and quicker.

mind, i also fall into the haven't got any friends to ask....booo hoo for me!

mind, i also fall into the haven't got any friends to ask.

Here's a ploy to get phone numbers from fellow cachers...

1. Set a multi-cache.

2. Put the clue to the final part in a micro, along with your mobile phone number.

3. Make the final place REALLY difficult to find.

4. Await the phone calls and save their numbers :)

I wouldn't recommend doing this of course!

I think that there are lots of good reasons to phone a friend.

In one example, I was searching for a TB hotel just north of London and couldnt find it. Deego had given me a TB whose mission was to go abroad and thought that this would be a good place for it. After a good long search, I phoned Pharisee in desperation, who in turn gave me The Hornet's number. The Hornet told me that he was on his way to collect the ammo box from someone who had rescued it from being muggled. I was very glad to find out this information i) because it saved me a longer fruitless search, ii) because I didn't feel silly not being able to find what should have an easy cache and iii) I was hundreds of miles from home.

It's great to meet and get to know other cachers, and inevitably this kind of communication will occur.

Edited by Firth of Forth

I used to get very miffed when I got a DNF and then on reading the logs read that previous finders had rung so and so for a clue. Now I have a selection of phone numbers of local cachers, I am not miffed.

I enjoy getting phone calls from people who cannot find my caches and who can subsequently be heard kicking themselves (you know who your are, SP). I spoke to somebody today, as it happens, who rang me when I was looking for a cache, which ended up as a DNF, but who informed me that the last person to log it said that it was missing, so I didn't waste too much more time looking.

I think it is inclined to make you lazy though. I have previously spent 40 to 60 minutes looking for a cache, but now I may be tempted to ring up somebody after about 15 minutes. I noticed that I was doing this, so now I think I would only do so if I really could not find it after a thorough search. Don't want to pester my contacts too much. I would much rather phone a friend than log a DNF and have to come back.

I've noticed a recent trend for difficult caches to have a 1.5 or 2 diff rating.

Is this a ploy to solicit phone calls or e-mails from stumped (or stupid) cachers?

I don't have any phone numbers other than family with me and only use a mobile for emergencies. So please, if a call is necessary please say so in the cache description (or a diff rating of say 3.5+) so I can avoid them.

As you might be able to tell I'm suffering the after-effects of taking the family on three DNFs out of three over the Christmas/New Year period!

No problems with using the phone to ask for a little assistance. Nobody has yet told me to cease and desist.

Over the weekend I called the owner of the cache as I was about to post my third DNF in less than 24 hours. The cache was rated 1.5/1 so I figured it couldn't be too hard:

DNF #1 (3:00pm Sat) -- Searched the obvious spots for 10 minutes and then had to leave as my ride had finished shopping.

DNF #2 (9:00pm Sat) -- Received an e-mail from cache owner verifying that the cache was there as of today. Daughter and her friend wanted to do some night caching so off we went; searched for 30-45 minutes with no luck.

DNF #3 (10:00am Sun) -- Had some spare time so went out for another 30 minutes of searching. Called cache owner -- who I had never met -- who said he would be there in 15 minutes. Searched for 30 more minutes with no success. Cache owner arrived and the two of us searched for another ten minutes. Cache was gone.

The phone call led to my meeting another great cacher! We chatted for 30 minutes. (He offered to let me call it a find but I declined. I am NOT a numbers man!)

Use the phone if you have to! :)

Edited by OzGuff

It's an admission of defeat without the ignominy (if that's the word) of a DnF.

Nothing ignoble in that, so long as fair attribution is made to the person who was consulted when it comes time to write up the logbook and the logpage.

It's not 'cheating' unless someone starts to believe that they have found the cache sololy through their own efforts.

It's not 'cheating' unless someone starts to believe that they have found the cache sololy through their own efforts.

So they packed their bag, made their lunch, put on the boots, put the dog in the back of the car, turned on the GPS, drove to the cache site, looked around, used the hint, couldn't find it, looked again and then as a last resort consulted another cacher for help by dialling a number on their mobile phone and with said help found the cache, opened the box, signed the log, made a trade, took a TB, put the dog back in the car, drove home, sat down at the PC, and logged the find.

How was any of that not their own effort?