Geo-hiking Staffs

El Diablo

Hi All,

Due to personal life changes (for the better) I've decided to retire from making Geo-hiking staffs. As my time has become more limited the staffs have become more popular. I've reached the point where what started as an enjoyable hobby has become a time consuming job.

Thank you for all the orders. Everytime I got an order I was flattered that people thought that much of my work. I hope you enjoy your staff as much as I enjoyed creating it.

I would like to say a special thanks to Groundspeak for allowing me to partner with them. They have been great to work with.

I will complete all the pending orders as quickly as possible.

El Diablo

On a selfish note ... I'm glad you are too busy for the hobby because now we get more of your leadership skills at Today's Cacher magazine. :lostsignal: Where a lot of cachers can still benefit from your talent ... :unsure:

PS- to everyone else ... no, I'm not brown nosing, I really mean what I said. :o

Edited by clearpath

It always tough when a hobby turns into a job. You've brought a lot of joy into caching with the staffs. They are truly works of art. I always look forward to attending events where you and the Princess of Darkness show up. There invariably is a line of folks wanting to oogle and test your hiking sticks. Of course my wife is now going to ride me hard for procrastinating on her Christmas hiking staff. :lostsignal:

I personally am happy for you as it appears to be a good thing, but I am saddened as well because I was working on designs to submit and see if I could get a staff.

I guess I will have to go find some scout master around town instead.. It just wont be the same.

Good luck to you and yours in this game we call life. I hope for nothing but joy in your selection.

ya know, instead of doing it as you are and QUITTING, you could have a limit, say like 4 a year and just at random come up with a way of taking one or all 4 orders.

just thinking your post sounded like you really didn't WANT to quit, and were fishing for a solution to the problem

PS: I don't have/want one so this isn't a selfish post trying to figure out how to get one.

Dang. I was waiting for the next contest and still hoping to win.

Take it easy and relax. Do it for fun and yourself instead of work for a while.

Glad you also can see when it's time to step back from something - and here's to hoping you can enjoy yourself. :mad:

Edited by Markwell

Glad this personal life change is for the better, and I wish you the best.

Hopefully in the future you'll be able to return to making those neat hiking sticks. I still remember the hiking stick essay contest of a year or two ago. I still think mine was best, and I'm unanomous in that. :mad:

Cache on!

~erik~

El Diablo,

You have definitely added a new dimension to the sport by making those wonderful staffs as well as providing a few freebies to contests and such. Your reputation is preceded by your generosity. Sorry to see you stopping the assembly line (so to speak) but I wish you the best of luck in whatever your future endeavours may be.

I'm sure I'll see ya in the chat room now and then too!

Cheers!

TL

Edited by TotemLake

Thanks for all the kind replies. I don't think I'll ever stop making hiking staffs...just stop selling them. I've probably given away more than I've sold because I get more joy out of it that way. I actually starting selling them to cover the cost of giving them away.

The business got so popular and the pressure became so great to complete a staff that it wasn't fun anymore. I look forward to the day when all pending orders are complete and I can work at my pleasure again. I know it dosen't make sense, and I can't explain the logic. Most people will look at the profits that can be made, I looked at the personal satisfaction that I got when a staff was done and well made.

I started off with making staffs with just the GC logo and the name. Then people started wanting artwork, which I enjoy doing, but they wanted them done quickly. Art is hard to do unless your in the mood, but explain that to someone that just paid money for a staff.

My favorite time of the year for working on staffs is coming up. I love to go out in my workshop in the winter and crank up the kerosine heater. I can sit there way into the wee hours of the night working on a staff with my cat in my lap and the snow falling past the window. I don't think I'll ever give that up. Besides...it would upset Patches (my cat) if we didn't spend that quality time together.

I've always made my staffs out of love for what I did, then it became an obligation. I want to go back to making them out of love for what I do. Occasionally I'll still make one...but it won't be for sale.

I know I probably din't explain this in a way that makes sense. I should have had one of my editors for Today's Cacher proof it.

El Diablo

:rolleyes: I always dreamed of seeing the initials ZZ engraved in one of your staffs but fiqured I could never afford one hence I never ordered one. It's a shame when a hobby stops being a hobby but you have a skill only a few people have which you'll never lose.

Sometimes, it's time to sit back and relax for a spell. Nice work you do.

Cheers!

I know it dosen't make sense, and I can't explain the logic. Most people will look at the profits that can be made, I looked at the personal satisfaction that I got when a staff was done and well made.

I can relate to this 100%. Joani and I are always doing stuff like that. We find it much more rewarding to be able to do it in our own time frame, and for our own reasons. When it becomes an obligation, it can suck all the fun out of it in a hurry.

--Marky

The one I ordered last year for my wife was the major attraction Christmas morning. It is a unique "one of a kind" and truly a work of art. A medical mystery was causing declining energy levels and shortness of breath thus a staff to lean on became an important part of our kit. It got a lot of use poking into snow drifts and also accompanied us to The TC Winter Convergence in January where it drew rave reviews. As the year and the condition progressed, and our stops more frequent, we've had to set it aside for a cane that folds out into a chair. Now with a firm diagnosis and a change in meds, we're hopeful that, in the new year, it will once again accompany us on our hunts.

El Diablo,

Sorry to see you retire from selling your geo-hiking staffs. It's too bad that others will not have a chance to own one of your very exquisite staffs. Team Oreo Cookies definitely enjoys our staffs. I can tell that each one is made with a piece of yourself in it. Your description of your workshop in the winter time sounds so peacefull. Enjoy your retirement.

Cache On!!

Doublestuff

Team Oreo Cookies

What is that old saying...never say never?

Well the new good job went up in a puff of smoke. :rolleyes: So while I'm sitting at home with nothing to do I've gone back in business. If you have procrastinated in the past, now is the time. I'm hoping to retire again in the near future.

El Diablo

I'm sorry about the new job falling through... but happy your back in business. Does that sound mean?? I don't mean it to. I would like to order one for Mastifflover without his knowing. No rush,maybe Christmas this coming year. If you could email me and give a price, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks, TinyDiny :rolleyes: