Geocaching In Parade Magazine

Jeremy

Time to break out another can of Server Oil...

Ditto that! This will cause a HUGE boost in interested people!

I'm interested in seeing how many people sign up over the next few days.

The main forum index says there are 33,751 users (the latest user signed up yesterday).

Since the forum is a separate server, does this number reflect the number of registered cacher accounts?

Great article! And Torry's picture was in it, too!!!

Interesting, I'm looking at the article right now, and there is no picture of Torry. Maybe the story is different in other parts of the country. The article I'm looking at shows three pictures of Seth! and his family, and then another picture of Jeremy's avitar, (the latest makeover one he's been using).

Great article!  And Torry's picture was in it, too!!!

Interesting, I'm looking at the article right now, and there is no picture of Torry. Maybe the story is different in other parts of the country. The article I'm looking at shows three pictures of Seth! and his family, and then another picture of Jeremy's avitar, (the latest makeover one he's been using).

if someone is holding a pink pig in the pic, that would be torry. (the pig, not the person), he uses a pig as his avatar. :ph34r:

Great article!  And Torry's picture was in it, too!!!

if someone is holding a pink pig in the pic, that would be torry. (the pig, not the person), he uses a pig as his avatar. :ph34r:

Yep, that would be our beloved porkrinds.....

torry.jpg

OOOKAY!!! For all those who need it, the article is now in rough PDF format!

I didn't have enough time today to clean up the graphics the way I wanted to, but decided, what the hey, at least we can get SOMEthing up! :ph34r:

The images are black because that's the way that bitmap images tend to scan... I was able to do separate photo scans, one which I hand-added to the PDF on page 2 before I ran out of time. If I had scanned the whole thing grayscale just to keep image quality from the start, the PDF would have been a few megs big instead of just 300+ Kb. No OCR on this pdf.

Parade cache article in PDF format.

Stay tuned for a 2 nice, professional final version within 7 days... you will have your choice of color or grayscale PDF, depending on patience and/or what your download time is. That one would be an OCR'd version too. :D

If you have problems seeing it, just right-click, hit Save Target As, choose your desktop for download, wait until it's done, then double-click the downloaded PDF.

(I hope that this is fair-use enough to be kosher... if not, well, I'll just have to drop the idea of a beautiful final version of the PDF and pretend this one does not exist. THAT would be depressing.)

I don't think Parade will mind the PDF's- but they may be unnecessary because Parade puts their issues on their website 1 week after actual publication so it'll be on their site next weekend. At least that's how I understood it.

Great article. Unfortunately the biggest paper in our state doesn't carry Parade (they carry USA Weekend or something) so the impact of the article won't be as great as we thought it would down here.

sd

Yeppers, I saw and read this article in the Parade that was in The Pueblo Chieftain (Pueblo, Colorado) today. It was a good article. I say just be careful now that every gadget in the world will be "Geo-Cache Certified" and for sale. :D

P.S.-Why do I keep seeing Jeremy's picture in all the unsold wallets as standard form pictures? Is this really him we see? :ph34r:

Howdy. Yes, cachewnuts, that's me and my family. I don't know what a Torry is, but there is no Torry in the picture. My son, Adrian (user name AdrianL) is holding a pig that I found in my 100th find a couple of years ago.

My family got the paper today at home but I picked up my copy in Phoenix, where I was shooting footage for The Complete Guide to Geocaching which will be released on DVD later this month. It was a banner day for me--appearing in Parade and getting to interview Dave Ulmer. After taping the interview, I went geocaching with Dave and Team360. It was a great day!

(I didn't even know this was a forum topic until this afternoon. Good thing I checked.)

Happy geocaching, everyone. If we get inundated with newbies, we can just direct them to the DVD. :anibad:

Cheers,

Seth!

Great article ... Seth! is going to be a geocaching celebrity. First he makes the cover of Today's Cacher Magazine, now he's featured in a national publication with a soon to be released DVD. Way to go Seth! ... :)

The Parade article had a blurb from Jeremy about directing n00bs to the forum's where they can have all their questions answered by a friendly bunch of eargerly awaiting geocachers... :anibad: yeah right, what happens if stunod is the first person to reach them, oh dear, that could be a life changing experience. :o

Edited by clearpath

I gotta say the Parade article is doing a good job. I live in NW Ohio and I heard from a friend in Spokane, Washington who I had been kinda nudging toward geocaching and this article may have moved her one step closer to trying it. PLUS, at work a lot of people know that I geocache and then the article in Parade comes out and this 6o year old co-worker of mine all of a sudden wants to know more about it after reading the article, so I showed him the website and the closest caches to his home, etc. So this thing could really do a good job if little ole me has heard 2 responses so far from potentials.

Positive press is a great thing :lol:

Yep our Photo outing with the baby and one of our greyhounds hit the cutting room floor. I felt bad that the photographer and us drove so far out of the way (90 minutes) to do the shoot but I am glad Erin was in it. I think that is just the proud parent talking. Glad the MGS got a mention. Erin was quoted for things she didn't say such as her "evangelical" ways. Even we are NOT that corny. A good light starter piece but the Weekend spread in The Washigtion Times in the D.C. area blew it away IMO. :lol:

I'm in NW Ohio as well, and work in NE Indiana. Several co-workers commented yesterday about the article. I'm not sure it was enough for any of them to take up the sport, but they liked the article. I DO think it gives our sport more credence with the general public!

The thing is, even if we don't get so much as one new person to the site, we have managed to get the word out that we're not a bunch of freak terrorists, so maybe the tupperwear at the ice cream stand won't get blown up so quick next time.

No other sport/hobby is enjoyed in the sheer numbers ours is while still staying virtually unknown to most of the people who don't participate.

:D While doing the usual Sunday browse through my Sunday paper...was happily suprised to read the artcle on Geocaching. I often browse through the cache listings in my area, and so many new ones are cropping up, that I'm anxious to return to the field, now that the outdoor soccer season is over! The article was just the right nudge to get back out there.

Way to go...and thanks again Jeremy and Company. :lol:

Great article. Saw it in an insert in the Hartford Courant. I did note, however, the Happy Meal Toy reference as being something good to trade. Isn't this still taboo? On a side note, however, as a journalist myself I've been meaning to cook up an article on geocaching for my local paper one of these days, although I think I may hold off on it until the spring. I'm of the mindset that it's good to have good press, not that this should be something to keep super-secret (but I can see the reasoning behind that, too).

Great article. Saw it in an insert in the Hartford Courant. I did note, however, the Happy Meal Toy reference as being something good to trade. Isn't this still taboo?

Nope!

I cache with two young boys. They LOVE happy meal toys. There is nothing better in thier eyes. I try to keep a nice collection of them to trade, but I only leave new in the package McToys.

Just got back from our monthly Wings and Beer night. Tonight we had a guy show up who had read the parade article and thought it sounded neat. When he typed in his zipcode, our event showed up, so he came. How cool is that? Hopefully he didn't get too confused by a bunch of drunk geocachers explaining everything to him!

I'm one of the people who read that article. Found my first cache on my first day off thereafter, and hunted every day off since then. I've been reading, reading, & reading. Haven't purchased a GPS yet but have logged 15 finds so far, (1-2.5/1-3s, but still I'm learning).

I'm a premium member, have paid for GSAK, downloaded Plucker & Spinner (trying for the best fit). I've decided on Garmin's 60CS, but have to wait for my Christmas bonus at work. JJIElectronics has the best price so far. Mapsource's US Topo is on my list too. I've ordered some stickers, swag & CITO trash bags. Thankfully, I've got some peers around here who hide/maintain caches the way I plan to. And some I plan to NOT be like. Thanks to this forum and the participants, I aim to be an asset to this sport.

I'm one of the people who read that article. Found my first cache on my first day off thereafter, and hunted every day off since then. I've been reading, reading, & reading. Haven't purchased a GPS yet but have logged 15 finds so far, (1-2.5/1-3s, but still I'm learning).

I'm a premium member, have paid for GSAK, downloaded Plucker & Spinner (trying for the best fit). I've decided on Garmin's 60CS, but have to wait for my Christmas bonus at work. JJIElectronics has the best price so far. Mapsource's US Topo is on my list too. I've ordered some stickers, swag & CITO trash bags. Thankfully, I've got some peers around here who hide/maintain caches the way I plan to. And some I plan to NOT be like. Thanks to this forum and the participants, I aim to be an asset to this sport.

Welcome aboard Oreo Pony.

I've been reading, reading, & reading. (snip) Thankfully, I've got some peers around here who hide/maintain caches the way I plan to. And some I plan to NOT be like. Thanks to this forum and the participants, I aim to be an asset to this sport.

AWESOME! Now THAT is the right approach! Welcome!

-Dave R.

:blink: While doing the usual Sunday browse through my Sunday paper...was happily suprised to read the artcle on Geocaching. I often browse through the cache listings in my area, and so many new ones are cropping up, that I'm anxious to return to the field, now that the outdoor soccer season is over! The article was just the right nudge to get back out there.

Way to go...and thanks again Jeremy and Company. :D

A bit late, but welcome back, Grinelle! :lol: