Does Anyone Cache At Night

Obviously its getting dark very early in the evening. In fact, when we switch to daylight savings time next week, I will get home from work and have less than an hour of light.

This creates a problem for any weekday geocaching. Do you ever geocache at night?

Most parks around us post a closing time. How serious of an issue is it to be geocaching in those parks after closing?

Outside of a flashlight, and a backlit display on my GPS, would there be any other equipment or caching concerns?

As I write this, I'm planning a full evening of night caching as the host for an out-of-town geocacher. We will focus on urban micros -- many of which are easier to grab after hours when the crowds are gone -- and caches in parks that are open late. There's a county park open til 11 p.m. After that, we will go to some more rural caches that aren't in parks, and which I know to be safe and appropriate for night caching.

I would never advocate entering into a park after its posted closing time. Your parked car is likely to attract attention from law enforcement. Not a good image of geocaching to present.

Special equipment includes *multiple* light sources, in case one fails. I wear a headlamp to illuminate the area immediately around me. This keeps me from bumping into branches, etc. Then, I carry either a D-cell flashlight or the "LepreSun" -- a 2,000,000 candlepower spotlight (also known in the forums as a "BFL"). That's the beam used for searching ahead and locating the cache. Finally, I carry a mini-maglite for backup, as well as a light stick or two. One possible use for a light stick is to hang it from a tree at the point where you leave the marked trail. It can sometimes be a challenge to get back onto the trail after bushwacking to the cache, even if you marked a waypoint or followed the breadcrumbs on your GPS.

Night caching adds a new dimension of challenge and fun. Done safely and legally, it is one of the best parts of geocaching.

I often think I should be wearing "clear" eye protection to prevent walking into a branch and poking my eye out.

but I'd suggest a headlamp, cell, and your gps.

I always try to plan ahead of time to know the "posted" park times most of that I try to find the times on city or county websites.

Going in groups is fun but....persents a slight problem with MANY people in the woods with flashlights it really attracts attention vs. regular daytime hunts.

Most parks around us post a closing time. How serious of an issue is it to be geocaching in those parks after closing?

Its a great way to draw the attention of the police. You might get off with a warning, or you might get fined, or if you run into a cop in a particularly bad mood, you may find yourself in jail waiting for a friend to bail you out.

If you're willing to risk that, then go for it.

When I cache at night it's usually the aftermath of a cache event. It's almost always in a remote area. It's amazing how many people are in the woods at night.

One of the best, actually it was the best, night cache hunt I've been on was in the Canyon at Twin Falls. It was a cache about to be archived. Our crew was separated into three packs by fate, each of use found a separate way to the cache, none of use the easy way, and I would not trade that night for any of my other cache expereince.

Since it was a 'remote' cache about 6 miles from town we are the only ones out there and it was a kick.

Its a great way to draw the attention of the police. You might get off with a warning, or you might get fined, or if you run into a cop in a particularly bad mood, you may find yourself in jail waiting for a friend to bail you out.

If you're willing to risk that, then go for it.

<_< ...tough laws in your neck of the woods...

maybe you shouldn't be going dressed like a <_<

I have only been cache ing during the night.

I have 3 personaly under my belt and a couple more with others and all have been under the cover of darkness....

I think it maybe be because it give me an excuss to use my flash lights.

I carry about 8 flashlights with me. ;-)

A Modded Maglight with a very bright Luxeon star 5 watt LED for throw (uses 6 AA's in a 2D Mag body)

2-3 red key chain lights on various zippers of my pack and GPS case.

a gerber LX3.0 as my main light (AA rechargables)

a Gerber Infinity Ultra around my neck as a dim trail light.

a surefire G2 with a HOLA P61 LA for the Wall of light effect.

as well as My EDC (every day carry) lights of the Key chain inova micro

an ARC 4+ and an Inova X5T for a spare lithium 123 battery holder :-).

inaddition I have about 8-10 spare rechargeble AA's for GPS and lights and a pack of 4 lithium AA's for long term storage spares.

I know I have a sickness but its fun :-)

BTW I can make some really neat stuff as far as Illumination tools.

I also carry a space banket , duck tape,first aid kit and a few other sundry items if going out into the sticks.

Most of my finds are at night. Many of those were "after hours" and I've only met up with law enforcement a handful of times. I've never been given a ticket or detained for any length of time. Most of the time they tell me to be careful and let me go on my way. Only on a couple of occations have they even told me I had to leave the park. Several have even said that they only enforce the curfew if there is a complaint of some sort.

I nearly always have my snake catching gear in hand and most of the time geocaching does not even come up. It's easier to just show them the snake hook than to try and explain GC-ing to them. On the few occations that I decided to tell them I was geocaching, they passed right over the subject and wanted to know more about the kind of freak who would go out looking for snakes.

Since I am usually out by myself, I have started bringing Taz, (our Black Lab), along with me. Having a dog on lead, in a park, late at night must look less suspicious because police officers drive by and wave, now. <_<

I go nightcaching every now and then. I know only one park with a cache and opening hours at my neck of woods, so tresspassing or violating is not really an issue. Only once I've been questioned by the police on a caching trip and it was when I took a nap in my car at the far end of a racing horse track's parking lot. They said the place is notorious for having stolen cars left, so they just ran a check on my car and my ID, and apparently they didn't find anything. <_<

Do all of us a favor, though. If you night cache where it's posted that you shouldn't be, for goodness sake don't mention that you did it that way in the online log. Especially if it's something extra fussy like an Audubon preserve or other private land management trust.

I've seen a couple of logs like that in my area, and in places where people have labored mightily to get permission and soothe jangled land managers. It's not helpful.

I'd guesstimate that 25%+ of my total finds are after dark. <_< Mostly urban hides, a few semi rural, and to dozen or so night time only caches.

Of course that includes two Team CHB road trips to Nashville where we stay out until the weee hours of the morning looking for the next one. Now that's fun stuff! <_<

In fact I stopped short of completing a long multi yesterday because I know there is a new nighttime cache on the same trail along with 2-3 others I don't have yet. I figure if I plan it right I can finish the multi, bag the other new hides, just as the sun goes down and we'll be in prime position for the night hunt.

A headlamp make a huge difference, along with a small handheld and of course extra batteries. I too have thought about the eyewear issue for the woods at night.

Audubon preserve????????

Why is there a cache placed here in the 1st place???

I have one placed with permission on an Audubon preserve and they are quite happy about it. It is a nice spot for a cache because it has many hiking trails and interesting things to see. It does have limited hours though.

Audubon preserve????????

Why is there a cache placed here in the 1st place???

There are a fair number of caches in New England in Audubon preserves. I know for sure two of them are maintained with the awareness of the land manager. Audubon is uneasy about it, as you can imagine, but not dead set against it. That's why I groaned when I saw someone bragging about hitting one at night.

Well worth keeping in their good graces. They're fussy about those stupid birds, but they own some fabulous properties <_<

95% of my caches are found at night. I work nights, so to keep the rythm on my days off I cache at night. It eliminates any muggles for the most part. I haven't had any run-in's with the police either. But i'm on my bike most of the time so I don't look to suspicious. No more than the 7000+ college kids in my town out late at night. My weapons of choice are a princeton tec LED headlamp and single LED focused flashlight. Plus I carry a mini-mag when I need normal colored illumination at night. I'm a Princeton Tec fan and think their stuff is great, especially when it comes to battery life. LED's last forever on a set of batteries.

We luv night caching! It makes 'em all an adventure...even those little 1x1 parking lot lamp post micros.

We've been approached a couple of times by local law enforcement and once we tell them what we're up to, and invite them to help us go find it, they've always seemed very understanding. So far anyway. But we've never had one actually go with us to find the night cache in the bush.

My only advice would be to be careful of cemeteries after dark. We have a few cities near us that have passed city ordinances making it illegal to enter the grounds after dark. They're very serious about it and they will put you in jail for criminal trespass. The kicker is that you wouldn't know about it unless you we're caught because it is just that, a city ordinance, no POSTED signs. I'm sure it could be beaten in a court of law, but like they say, "You can beat the rap but you can't beat the ride."

Stay safe, use your head and have fun!

My only advice would be to be careful of cemeteries after dark.  We have a few cities near us that have passed city ordinances making it illegal to enter the grounds after dark.  They're very serious about it and they will put you in jail for criminal trespass.

I think those laws have been on the books for years. It was my understanding it was a combination of superstition and to deter grave robbing.

I tend to stay away from most cemetery caches at night. When you're traipsing around a creek bed at night, it's easy to explain the snake hook; in a cemetery, not so easy. :blink:

This creates a problem for any weekday geocaching. Do you ever geocache at night?

I do this from time to time. It's fun!

I think this is 100% dependent on your local laws, and how your local enforcers of said laws choose to behave. Here in Dallas, I've been stopped many times by police officers. I've explained geocaching, and it's never been a problem.

On the other hand, I went up to the top of Fremont Peak in California to do some astronomy one time, and the park ranger gave us a VERY hard time about it. We got to stay - but just barely, and he was *angry* we hadn't called and arranged the visit in advance.

Your best bet is to ask someone in your area, who's been stopped at night.

Outside of a flashlight, and a backlit display on my GPS, would there be any other equipment or caching concerns?

Yeah, bring an extra flashlight or other light source, and spare batteries for the light and GPSr if you are going any distance from the car. *Always* take an extra light. If your main light fails, you may be in big trouble some places. (This is not such a big deal if you are hunting parkinglot park-n-grabs.) A cell phone isn't a horrible idea. A compass is a good idea, too. Always waypoint your car if you are going out of sight of it. It's easy to get turned around at night.

I think those laws have been on the books for years. It was my understanding it was a combination of superstition and to deter grave robbing.

I tend to stay away from most cemetery caches at night. When you're traipsing around a creek bed at night, it's easy to explain the snake hook; in a cemetery, not so easy. :D

I do these sometimes. It's pretty interesting at night. (I don't do them if the cemetery has posted hours.) Actually, I suspect a big part of the reason those laws are still on the books is vandalism. Stupid, bad mannered people will vandalize cemeteries.

I bet you could tell them you were hunting for ghosts! I bet you wouldn't be the first one to tell them that! :blink:

or if you run into a cop in a particularly bad mood

I promise I'll only be in a bad mood if I couldn't find the cache :blink:

I often cache under the cover of darkness. I work evening and night shifts and there's nothing like finding a cache at 3AM while everyone else is asleep and there's absolutely nothing happening on the radio. Don't get me wrong, usually around 2-3AM the calls have stopped coming in over the MDT and radio and there's what can be considered some 'downtime'. Often in lieu of eating lunch, some of us have gotten together to go find/hide a cache.

As I write this, I'm planning a full evening of night caching as the host for an out-of-town geocacher. We will focus on urban micros -- many of which are easier to grab after hours when the crowds are gone -- and caches in parks that are open late. There's a county park open til 11 p.m.

OK... I just proved my point.

We went to the cache in the park that closed at 11:00 p.m. Found the cache after a difficult hike, and returned to the car to drive to the next one. It was not even 10 pm yet. We round a bend in the trail and see five county sheriff cars clustered around our cachemobile. My guest gets to have his first Law Enforcement Encounter! Yay! It was about my 20th.

As it turned out, some hooligans were reported roaming the park earlier in the evening, and our unattended vehicle at an odd parking spot (roadside pullover) attracted attention. I explained we were just hiking, and that we understood the park was open until 11 p.m. We promised to find another park, as we had no interest in running into the hooligans or to complicate the deputies' jobs. After a routine license check, we were on our way. I was even able to explain that those white blazes meant that a trail went down that hillside into the woods. Since we were on a marked trail in a park that was still open, we had no problem. Had it been after hours, who knows?

We round a bend in the trail and see five county sheriff cars clustered around our cachemobile.

A couple of times, officers ran my plates and called the house at 2:00am to make sure the car wasn't stolen. They were at the car when I returned and my wife was calling me on the cell phone, (none too pleased about being woke up). Since then, I leave a note inside my window with my cell phone number on it. It actually says "Catching snakes. Cell phone ###-###-####". I don't know how effective this is, as I haven't had an encounter since then.

I don't worry about cops, they are busy with real police duties.

Which, at least around here, include enforcing park curfews.

Do all of us a favor, though. If you night cache where it's posted that you shouldn't be, for goodness sake don't mention that you did it that way in the online log. Especially if it's something extra fussy like an Audubon preserve or other private land management trust.

I've seen a couple of logs like that in my area, and in places where people have labored mightily to get permission and soothe jangled land managers. It's not helpful.

It is annoying when you write something like "please respect park hours" on the page, only to see a log that says something like "we saw the park was closed, but found it anyways" (Its not just limited to night caching either. I've seen people mention bringing their dog despite the no pets signs, bushwacking despite being asked to stay on the trails, etc...). You hope the park authorities aren't paging through the logs.

if I were to go night caching I would bring one of these suckers flash light if it was in the sticks. havent been night caching yet, but love running around at night in the woods :blink: got to love walkin around in the woods where nobody knows where you are :D .

my flash lights of choice are princeton tec yukon hl headlamp, backup led flash light and maybe a maglight and extra batteries.

if you don't want anybody to find you dress in black wear a black head mask and a pair of eyewear of some sort that is comfortable :D and call your self shadow and talk in a high pitched voice :D

Could be just were I live they are to busy will more serious crimes, and the courts here are so jamed up now they may not be able to handle the load. If it is not way past park hours a person cold claim they hadn't realized they had hiked so far in.

Could be just were I live they are to busy will more serious crimes, and the courts here are so jamed up now they may not be able to handle the load. If it is not way past park hours a person cold claim they hadn't realized they had hiked so far in.

Must be nice to live somewhere like that. Here, the serious crimes are largely ignored unless there is a body involved (just try to get a cop to come so you can report a stolen vehicle). Apparently they prefer to spend their time harrassing park curfew violators, speeders and people who make too much noise in the 7-Eleven parking lot.

It actually says "Catching snakes. Cell phone ###-###-####". I don't know how effective this is, as I haven't had an encounter since then.

That is interesting ... I wonder if the authorities would believe the 'catching snakes' line? I guess they would, as there are several armchair herpetologists in my neighborhood. This guy that lives up the street loves to catch snakes. He already caught two Copperheads this year and countless other species.

Edited by clearpath

I've been night caching every weeknight this week except last night when some local cachers got together for pizza...

The majority of my FTFs have been at night.

I use a 7-LED headlamp and carry a AA incandescent for backup and HATE BFL's which just ruin your night vision.

With the recent full moon, I haven't needed any light until arriving at the cache site.

Although I leave a note on the dash, never ran into an officer save a park open at night--they saw my buddies car parked along a highway and called to check it wasn't stolen. His wife told them we were hiking and they said, "Cool, let us know if they don't check in and we'll find 'em for ya'."

Otherwise, I always park discretely (not "hidden" but along a dead end road instead of directly at the end, away from an entrance, etc.) and generally wear BRIGHT clothing so I don't appear to be "sneaking".

So far so good,

Randy

PS: It's amazing how hard it is to find "Open Dawn-Dusk" signage in the dark! {wink}

It actually says "Catching snakes. Cell phone ###-###-####". I don't know how effective this is, as I haven't had an encounter since then.

That is interesting ... I wonder if the authorities would believe the 'catching snakes' line?

It also helps that most nights, by the time I head back toward the car, I actually do have a snake or two in my snake bag.

I cache at night fairly regularly, mostly sub-urban type hides.

My best piece of advice there is not to park at the park. In other words, if you're heading for a cache in Fred Jones Memorial Park and Baseball Diamond, don't leave the cachemobile right in the parking lot by it's lonesome self. Go park on the street somewhere, with other cars. Walk a little further.

Curious, why the red lense ?

For the same reason astronomers use red lights in observatories, to maintain night vision.

It takes something like 15 minutes to obtain your full night vision, you can lose it instantly. (Your muscles have to relax to let in more light, but contract to keep too much out...)

Enjoy,

Randy

PS: Scored a FTF before approval on a night cache last night!

Sounds like a bunch of you all are AFRAID of the dark with your array of BFL's. :mad:

I haven't done any night caching...yet. I spend a fair deal of time out at night though and unless it's cloudy, you'd be amazed how well you can see most nights. Granted, I'd take a light or two...one red-lensed and one white.

Just things in the dark.

Things that instantly go blind when hit with 120 lumens right in the eyes

Well, my trek with Lep was a definate highlight. I wish I had seen this topic back then. Turns out that it was likely my first real night cache. Previously I had done urban street lamp micros and standard follow the improved trail to reflective tags thing. This was differant. He had intended several easy finds for some new initiates but since they all deserted, we went a bit further.

Since then, I have a hankering for doing the night thing. I'm using the excuse that I'm working on a string of consecutive caching days and darkness is cutting into my daylight. On my way home, I found Cabela's TB Hotel around 10pm and then tonight Block O which is a country front yard hide. I was taunted into doing a night cache in Monroeville, PA on Tuesday, but the park closed as darkness and it was already 30 minutes past sunset. Pittsburgh parks are notorious for locked gates. I wasn't up for an overnight hike back to the hotel.

:D for those of you that like to cache at night and enter California State Parks if you get caught you can be cited and the fine can be over $300.00 for violation of closure. I know some people like the thrill of night time caching but You might not like the price tag if you get caught.

Night Caching good, just returned from hunting a cache (23:10) we did not find in the light. in the dark we found it and did a 6mi hike too. All we used was a 2AAA mini mag and got so muddy wee were not even allowed in the pub after ;) admitidatly we did have 14 AAA batteries( most for the gps) and several spare bulbs but we did only use one mag.

So far 50% of my cache have been found after dark, it is not fun unless you are dripping wet and lost, with a GPS of couse:D

;) for those of you that like to cache at night and enter California State Parks if you get caught you can be cited and the fine can be over $300.00 for violation of closure. I know some people like the thrill of night time caching but You might not like the price tag if you get caught.

Nothing is illegal unless you get caught. :)

Did two night caches in two different closed parks last night. :)

It's our second day at this and we tried one in the dark tonight. It was fun and made for a challengeing find. We chose one that was hidden in a park that wa sopen till 10:00pm. The park was well lit. the challenge came in the fact that the area where the cashe was was not well lit.

Things i leanred.

1. even in Houston you might want to bring a light jacket after Sundown.

2. Kids liked it wife did not.

3. EVERYBODY needs thier own light.

4. Naysaying runs high after dark.

5. SPiders spin massive webs at night.

If I do a night search again (which I probably will) it will either be solo or I'll use it for one on one time with one of my kids.

Happy night time hunting :unsure:

The G_Team

well since I am up I'll add my one and only night expedition.....

there was a micro about 3 blocks from my house, I knew the area and I knew it would be near the sidewalk. I had looked for it earlier but I logged a DNF. after thinking about it I figured I knew where to check, so I left my house about 1 am and an owl hooted right outside my door. scared the crap out of me. keep in mind I am a lady and I shouldn't be out walking that late. so I am already nervous.

I walked the three blocks and when I came close to the park I noticed 2 figures lurking in the shadows....just out of the street light range. It totally freaked me out, and i knew they would be watching me. so I kept walking and looped around the block. They were still there from the corner of the block so I went home.

I didn't log it a DNF because I didn't attempt to look. I found it the next day.

but I sure didn't like looking at night.

I just found my 100th in the dark. My caching buddies and I ran out of daylight before I could reach 100, so we all looked on gc.com to find a close cache that was in a location that didn't have closing hours. It was actually kind of tough because a lot of the local caches are in parks that have hours, or they're multis, or we've done them. :unsure:

We used headlamps to get near the cache site and mag lights for protection (better than nothing, i suppose) and better searching for the cache container once we were close. The views probably would have been better in daylight, but we had fun. We stumbled upon an area that looked like someone may have been living there... kind of a lean-to and we were freaked out by that, but we didn't see any people around.

I am bummed that I can't do after work caches until spring. I just can't go out in the dark by myself because I don't feel comfortable. amytincan's experience would've made me soil myself!

I really like the suggestion to use light sticks to mark where you've left the trail... we did get a little turned around for a quick minute and that would have helped.