Geocoins, Ftf's

Joyful Jajliardo Gang

My friend that got me into this was VERY excited that I got an FTF on my 2nd cache find. Also she keeps going on about a "geocoin". Am I missing something? :mad: Yeah, it was cool to be the first to write in the log book, but that's it, right? And where, what, who, when are geocoins? If I'm gonna get addicted, guess I should get addicted big time, right? :mad:

Thanks for the help!

Jjlrdomom (whose sidekicks are all nestled down in their beds!)

First to finds are .... sorta rare. I mean only one person/team can be FTF on any cache, and if your in an area with lots of active cachers you either have to be lucky or give an extra push to be the first. Besides, sometimes FTFers have to figure out mistakes in the cache, and of course don't have any clues or hints from previous finders to help them out.

Geocoins is a term for the vast collection of geocaching coins/tokens. There are many types and various goals / rules of use (some are meant to be moved like travelers, others you can keep). There are some USA geocoings that are fifty cent piece sized chunks of brass. Unfortantly they seem to get stolen and 'lost' quite easy, so finding one is cool (I would guess thats want your friend's excited about). Remember, if you found one of the those coins that is supposed to move, Don't Keep It!

I think I have half a dozen ftf's, and half of those were sort of "accidental," meaning I didn't rush out to get 'em. Then there were a couple I missed that I wanted. I try not to hog 'em, because so many people do like them, and in our area, new caches are pretty rare. But it's like steak....some people don't like steak, but to most of us it's pretty good.

As far as those shiny things, just be a kid again for a bit. Kids like shiny things. :mad: Or how about any t.b.? Some people really really like t.b.'s.

I never saw the big deal about FTFs, but some people will get up at 1 am to be the first person to a new cache. Hey, whatever floats your boat.

I guess one good thing about being a FTF is that you're sometimes the only person who found the cache as the owner intended. People like to move them, or add to the camoflage, or take it away for some reason.

The "thrill" of a geocoin is probably if you don't have one already, after you log your first one you get a new icon on your status page. Same goes for logging one of each type of cache - virtual, multi, puzzle/mystery, locationless, etc.

A geocoin is just a travel bug when it comes right down to it, or at least how I view them. Some have "goals" while others are just meant to be passed around from cache to cache.

As for first to finds, I have 2 I think. Both them I did with one or both of my daughters and at one, they got a 1st place ribbon that she still has on her wall. She still talks about it and wanted to put ribbons in our first cache. So from that aspect, I think they are memorable.

650+ caches later I still have not seen anything but a photo of a geocoin.

The big deal about them is they are rather expensive to make compaired to most things you will find in a cache. They tend to be custom creations as well.

In the end what often happens is that signature trade items become the thing that most people trade for. Geocoins are the "deluxe" signature item.

Most people leave calling cards.

Howdy from Oklahoma...we've been caching now for about three and a half months. Initially, I wasn't concerned at all about FTFs...heck, we were just happy to be out there finding them...getting more experience with the GPS, hiding techniques, container types, etc.. About a month ago, though, I read somewhere here on GC.com that when you hit about 70 finds, you should be ready to give back by placing hides.

Last month, we hit 70 finds...and decided to prepare for our first hide. At that same time, we decided that it was time to step it up in other ways as well...including actually pursuing a FTF just to see if, when it was all said and done, it was worth the planning, constantly checking GC.com, etc..

So, I started looking daily for FTF possibilities in our area. At every turn, somebody beat me to it. (You start wondering if anybody else actually has a job :mad: ) Well, one day after work a "new" cache popped up and I looked at my wife and son and said, "There's a new one 16 miles away...its getting dark, its raining...but, hey, lets do it!" We all three got in the car, drove 16 miles in the rain and pulled up to about .11 miles of the cache.

I have to admit, that as we walked the final 250 feet in the rain, I felt a sense of excitement...hoping that we were the first. I was actually looking at the ground in front of me to see if there were any fresh footprints! (I would have never thought that as a 42 year old I would give a hoot about something like this :mad: )

When we found the cache, we anxiously opened it up...and even almost hesitated to open the log book for fear that we were too late. When the first page was clean, we turned it over and went to the back just to make sure someone hadn't gotten there first but signed the back page instead of the first. We were thrilled to see that we were the first...our first FTF!

Yes...the planning, monitoring, rushing out the door after a long day at work, driving and walking in the rain...was worth it!

All I can say, is that in this world of stress and constant challenges, I don't worry about any of that when I am in search of cache...and thats what I love about it!

D-cachers

Howdy from Oklahoma...we've been caching now for about three and a half months.  Initially, I wasn't concerned at all about FTFs...heck, we were just happy to be out there finding them...getting more experience with the GPS, hiding techniques, container types, etc.. 

It's great to see that you are still really into caching... I still remember meeting the "newbies" at GCJ4HR in June...

You live in a tough area for FTFs. I have gotten a number of FTFs in the OKC area but you definitely have to be on the ball to get them - I think I've only "stumbled" into one FTF there that I didn't expect.

Pear Head...great to hear from you!

Yeah...FTFs are tough down here. You were our FCWF (First Cacher We Found) :mad: so I definitely remember running into you!

Its funny...I don't know which FTF we get more excited about...ones we find...or when someone else finds a cache we hide. We have two hides out there now and it was quite a thrill for us as cache owners to see that we really were capable of successfully placing a cache for others to seek out.

PH...I noticed on your page that you actually list your FTFs...I am amazed at the number of FTFs you have. Is it still a thrill for you?

D-cachers

PH...I noticed on your page that you actually list your FTFs...I am amazed at the number of FTFs you have. Is it still a thrill for you?

I enjoy it, yes. I will go out of my way to be a FTF, so I guess that means that it rocks my boat a little more than others. I work an afternoon shift so my mornings/days are free for caching if need be and I can also do some night caching to stay on top of things (mtn-man, our approver, is good for approving things at night). I've gotten to the point that I won't drive too far out of my way to get a FTF as the cost of all of this driving starts to add up.

We have some caches here that can sit for a week and not be found and then we'll have others that are hit many times in their first day (I think the record was 6 in the first day). It has a lot to do with people's schedules, weather, etc. I don't think most people around here look for the FTFs like they do down there. My closest competition in FTFs doesn't go out of his way for them - he's just found all of the other caches in the area so when a new one pops up he's gung-ho to go find it as it's a cache he hasn't found yet.

Generally FTF's either get lucky and the cache was hid right or they get to be the guinea pig for the rest of us and find out the mistakes the hider did.

When on a way to a Cache meeting with Lil Tahosa last weekend we were talking about a local cacher that must sleep in his car with the alarms set for when a new one comes up. And I was telling my son that caching is more than being the FTF, or the count. Its the all around involvement that makes the game what it is.

I was hoping to try for a couple of new ones on the next day, well you know the rest of the story. I'll go up when I'm good and ready for a drive in the hills.

I'm not into FTF's either. Would I go seek a cache and try to be FTF??? Of course but I like my sleep so don't expect me up at the crack of dawn to go caching for a FTF.

Personally I would rather find that cache that hasn't been found in 6 months.

Geocoins.....I love them and love to find them. I like them better than the dog tag TB. Geocoins can go in almost any cache whereas a dog tag TB is usually bigger and needs an ammo can.

Ken

I'd just like to throw in my $.50 here. I am FAR from being a competitive type. I once found a FTF, but it was not on purpose. I also have found a geocoin, and I thought it was cool, but again, I did not seek it out. It was fun being first, but there is a poster from despair.com that fits my opinion on FTF and stuff perfectly:

http://www.despair.com/demotivators/goals.html

:mad: If you have fun, you are having fun. Be happy with that. :mad:

After searching Google I now know why there are not many Geo Coins out there. Money! I can see spending $5 plus on a coin but most caches that I've found hold items that someones kid doesn't want! It's rare that there is anything of value to trade. Yes I believe in "fair trade" items otherwise like most of the time I LNTN...

You may say what about TB's well they are in the same category. Thats why we don't see them in this area.

Either way it's the hunt that counts!

Momma Dirt Clod had 76 FTFs last time I checked. She seeks them out. To her, it's how she gets her biggest thrill from the sport.

I don't remember the link to the Coins.

I would love to find a coin. Geocoins have a larger theft rate than TBs do, so it's really nice when you get to find one somewhere.

I haven't even seen one. The Moun10Bike coin I logged was handed to me so I could get the icon but then I was told I'd have to give it back.

I'd just like to throw in my $.50 here. I am FAR from being a competitive type. I once found a FTF, but it was not on purpose. I also have found a geocoin, and I thought it was cool, but again, I did not seek it out. It was fun being first, but there is a poster from despair.com that fits my opinion on FTF and stuff perfectly:

http://www.despair.com/demotivators/goals.html

;) If you have fun, you are having fun. Be happy with that. <_<

love these!...thanks :wacko:

FTFs are just another challange you can add to the game. But you may have to take off at all hours to get one, I have left the house several time between 11PM and 3 AM to get a FTF, and a couple of times I came across other cachers on those nights. Just imagine you try to get a FTF at 2AM 20 miles from home and someone has was there 15 minutes before you :P It seems our local reviewer has been posting new caches between 11PM and 2AM. Yes as I sit here at 10:15PM, my truck is full of gas my GPS is by the computer, my jacket is by the door. I just have to be ready to leave in the next three hours, it's a good thing I do not have to go to work anymore.

Well I gota run a search, later. WHo needs sleep anyway. :D:(:D:rolleyes::P:D:P:D:anicute::D

After searching Google I now know why there are not many Geo Coins out there. Money! I can see spending $5 plus on a coin but most caches that I've found hold items that someones kid doesn't want! It's rare that there is anything of value to trade. Yes I believe in "fair trade" items otherwise like most of the time I LNTN...

True, but be the person to get a geocoin for your state started. If you get enough people interested you can do it for around $2.50 a coin. And yes, many caches don't really "deserve" a geocoin, but people use them for FTF prizes, and I place them in out of the way caches or really well done caches as a thank you. Then you can also remind people to trade fairly in your log. Plus if you're not carrying around a geocoin, what are you going to have to trade when you run across a mini-maglight in a cache like I did? :rolleyes:

;) The first to find is a good feeling!! Knowing that you are the first to find it. We have been there now and the only thing is if you have a big cache you can have first dibs on what is in it. :lol: As far as the USA Geocoins goes!! Hey Welch, the geocoins are made of BRONZE!! They are not made of brass or any other medal. We have 8 travel bug tags out there now and 4 Geocoins out there now. There will be 4 more Geocoins out there as soon as they get here. RenegadeKnight!! The Geocoins are not a Deluxe Sig Item!!! They are not for keeps and are the same as a travel bug, but in a different form. I have just ordered 2 Silver Geocoins also. One was a misstake!! They are .999 pure silver and not plated!! They are about $27.00 a piece!! There was only 100 minted so they may be worth more later.

The Tapps ;););)

Broke the 100 level for number of FTFs...now at 126. We have a very competitve group here in the greater Seattle area. So it's nice to beat a cacher to one especially if it's on his/her turf. :-)

As for geocoins....those Moun10Bike coins are the best...especially the look...I've yet to get one of those new ones. Got 7 of the old ones...released all but two. Be on the lookout for some very cool Washington geocoins hopefully before too long.

The Geocoins are not a Deluxe Sig Item!!! They are not for keeps and are the same as a travel bug, but in a different form.

Ummm, there are more than just USA geocoins. So there are some that are out there as sig items and meant to be kept. Besides that I keep telling people that want tracking added to their geocoins they are making that they are fooling themselves if they think they are going to move like TBs. Sounds like yours might be doing well, but in general I think if you want a TB buy a TB, if you buy a geocoin expect it to go into someone's collection at some point.

...RenegadeKnight!! The Geocoins are not a Deluxe Sig Item!!! They are not for keeps and are the same as a travel bug, but in a different form....

Some are. Some arent'. I give you my personal guarantee that all my geocoins will be sig items. Both the state ones I get and the one I've stated the design of for my own use.

I actually don't like that a lot got turned into Travel Bugs. It's one of the few geocaching items that I'd go out of my way for. But as a TB I won't do anything I wouldn't do for a normal TB. Which is to say I need to trip across them to take one and move it on.

Speaking of geocoins, can someone tell me how to get them to appear on a cache page? I dropped one off in one of my caches today, and would like the page to say "Geocoins have been seen here" and also show up on the main listing page.

Thanks ;)

They have to be trackable by Groundspeak in order to have their own icon. There are very few that are tracked by Groundspeak.

I get the weekly updates of new caches in my state, but those new ones usually have already been found by 3 or 4 people. How do you know when new ones come up? Do people just keep searching their zip code and noticing any new ones or is there an easier way?

You just check every day by entering a zip code, or you can set up Pocket QUaries to run everyday and set the filters to just look for new caches, but you have to reset the dates every day. But you may need to be a premium member to run PQs. If really want to get some FTFs it may be worth the small fee.

I get the weekly updates of new caches in my state, but those new ones usually have already been found by 3 or 4 people. How do you know when new ones come up? Do people just keep searching their zip code and noticing any new ones or is there an easier way?

You just check every day by entering a zip code, or you can set up Pocket QUaries to run everyday and set the filters to just look for new caches, but you have to reset the dates every day. But you may need to be a premium member to run PQs. If really want to get some FTFs it may be worth the small fee.

Well yes, but it's lots easier than that. Don't even have to be a Premi - just click on the Hide and Seek button and then search for caches in your state using the state pulldown menu. That will bring up all the caches in your state with the newest, just posted caches at the top. For your state (Illinois) here's the link:

Canyonlanders Newest Caches

Once you're on that page, set your browser's home page for it - on your browser menu, click on "Tools", then on "Internet Options", then in the "Home page" section, click on "Use Current". And finallyl click on "OK" to close the box.

Now, whenever you hit the little house icon in your browser, you'll bring up the up-to-the-minute, latest caches in your state.

'Course... for FTFs - leastwise here in Seattle, you might well have to hit that wee house in the middle of the night and fly out the door to beat the resident FTFer <sigh...> ;)