Help A Pathetic Newbie????

Sgrethlein

:D

Okay, I admit, I must be pathetic. I am just starting out, have tried for two caches near my home. The first one was a difficulty level 2. Searched in the right area for 45 minutes without luck. Checked the logs, several others said it took them two to three tries to find it, so I figured I wasn't totally hopeless.. Then today, tried a level 1. Went to exactly where the coordinates said it would be (a prior log within three days, so I know it was still there).. But, 45 minutes later, still hadn't found it. The log for the cache was no help, someone wrote that they walked past it a few times before they spotted it, but I couldn't (had two kids and a dog with me, who also didn't find it).

Any ideas what I am doing wrong? I looked under fallen trees, checked in abandoned stumps, etc..

Help... I don't want to give up, but I am getting frustrated....

Thanks for the hints..

SJG :lol:

Are you sure you're getting a good reading on your GPSr? Sounds to me like you're not really getting to the spot. Practice with the GPS in an open field. Take a waypoint, physically mark it, go away from it, let the GPS take you to it. This let's you see exactly how your unit works. If you know you're getting a good lock on the coords, the next thing to do is: Think like a cacher (Where would I hide this thing?) After you get a certain amount of finds under your belt, you'll just walk right up to these things--You'll spot the stick-o-flage and bark-o flage etc. from a mile away. Don't give up!! Another tip-- as a newbie, give yourself all the breaks: read the clues, read ALL the logs for hints...

Edited by SixDogTeam

Thanks 6-dog.

Tried those things. Took a class from EMS to make sure I was navigating right. The level one that I tried today was in a state park, said it was "just off the trails". I went around and around the spot (Got my GPS read within 1.6 meters) of the input coordinates. There weren't helpful clues. Not much help in the logs.

I guess that I will try one in a cemetery next.. they said it isn't on a grave, and so likely won't be too tough. I guess I just feel like an idiot. Though I am sure once I find one or two, I will be able to spot 'em, as you said... It's just getting over the initial hump..

Appreciate the encouragement..

SJG :lol:

First, your GPS may be off. Ours is sometimes dead on, and sometimes 20 feet off or so. We find when we stop moving it gets confused, so we start circling the area. Were you looking for a micro when you thought you should be looking for a larger container? Also, after 45 minutes, it may be good to use the clue. We often "encrypt" the clues to print out, but will only read them it if we are really stuck.

So, if at first you don't succeed, try and try again. At least you got some fresh air and excercise!

Whatever you do, don't give up. Go out and try some other caches in the area then go back and try again once you have a feel for how people hide these things. After a while you'll start to know what to look for. Go over the previous logs and see if you can pick anything out that rings a bell. The coordinates are never right on the money, within 12 feet is good. So when you find Ground Zero, keep in mind that this is now two different GPS readings (yours and the hiders) which might make your search radius a little larger. Just don't quit. :lol:

Thanks for the encouragement. Tried your basic suggestions (wider circle, etc).

Will keep going. Loved the walk in the woods. Easy for me to stay motivated, I love the hiking around. Trying to keep my monkees (two kids) interested when we aren't finding things is harder.

Didn't claim to be micro's when I chose 'em, thought that would be WAY too hard for an initial one...

Will stick with it. Can't wait to post that I have been successful though!!

SJG

I sometimes see where the arrow is pointing as I approach, then walk away and approach from a different direction. I may repeat this a few times. I don't like walking around in circles. When I figure out the spot I really want to check out, then I work my way out away from it if I am unsuccessful I guess that is where the circles come in. Keep moving farther out. Sometimes the numbers are right on. Sometimes they are off 60 feet. Keep trying. I tried 3 or 4 before I was successful. It is very rewarding when you finally find one!! Happy caching!!

I think what helped me the most was going out the first day with someone that had done it before and I got an idea of where to look and what to look for. Maybe there is some one in your local region that couldn't mind helping for a day. And don't forget to look up and down and maybe you have to move a rock or leaf around before you find it.

I strongly suggest looking for a group in your area. They often have events (that always seem to involve food, funny that...) - anyway, don't be shy in asking for someone to accompany you for a day. I've found most geocachers to be very social and happy to show a newbie the ropes.

Another thing to watch for: Are you "hovering" over the GPS? My little yellow eTrex hates it when I read over his shoulder and block the sky.

Try this: When you think you are as close as you're gonna get, set the GPS down . On a rock, limb, the grass... doesn't matter. Walk away for a minute or two. Light a smoke, take a drink, talk to the raccoons, but just let the GPS "settle down" after a minute or two come back and check it. TRY NOT TO LEAN OVER IT SO MUCH. See if that helps.

I'll usually set the unit down once I realize that we're getting confused. If you just keep wandering back and forth you aren't giving the unit time to catch up.

Don't forget that you are looking for something that JDLR (just don't look right). Caches don't get there through natural means. Something about the area just doesn't look right. It is not natural. Here in the Pacific Northwest we talk about the rule of parallel sticks. Sticks don't normally line up in parallel lines. Most people would not think too much of that, but a geocacher knows it is not right and so starts moving sticks to see what is underneath. Under logs and inside old rotted stumps are fairly normal hiding spots, but there are many other ways to hide the cache.

I know this is probably a longshot, but do you have the GPSr set to the WGS84 datum? If you have it set to something like NAD29, then you are going to be off, as what seem to be the exact same set of coordinates can actually be two different places quite a way from each other.

Edited by writer

Remember considering the EPE of the person who placed the cache, and your own, the cache could be 50 or more feet from where your GPS is pointing, so once you get within 50 feet or so, rely more on your instincts and less on the GPS.

Check the obvious spots first. Rock crevices, hollow stump, down trees. Caches are often also covered with bark, or leaves. Feel around...don't just look.

Also look for hings that might be slightly out of place, for example a pile of rocks, or sticks arranged in an unnatural manner.

Remember considering the EPE of the person who placed the cache, and your own, the cache could be 50 or more feet from where your GPS is pointing, so once you get within 50 feet or so, rely more on your instincts and less on the GPS.

Brian is right, though the number is actually double. GPS technology in the consumer version specifies accuracy only within 49 feet or so. That means with the potential error in your reading and the person hiding, that could be as much as 100 feet. In reality, I generally find that the coordinates are a lot closer, but there's no guarantee of that.

Also, as I'm thinking about it, you need to slow down a few hundred feet before you get to the point. From my experience, the receivers are tracking your motion and trying to predict where you should be, given your previous direction and velocity. If you are moving reasonably fast and suddenly come to a dead halt, you'll see that the position readings can keep moving, then start changing when the GPSr has figured out that you stopped.

From my experience, the receivers are tracking your motion and trying to predict where you should be, given your previous direction and velocity. If you are moving reasonably fast and suddenly come to a dead halt, you'll see that the position readings can keep moving, then start changing when the GPSr has figured out that you stopped.

I think this is more of an issue with Magellans. Maggie users call it the slingshot effect. Its a byproduct of the averaging feature, which most Garmins don't have.

My find rate increased when my wife started caching with me. She finds most of the caches after I get "GPS" close. I think it has something to do with a wifes propensity to prove a husband wrong. Now that the bruises on my ego have healed I'm all good with the situation.

Kidding aside, caching with a partner is a lot more fun. If you aren't married or your spouse/SO isn't interested try contacting a local group, or try to get a friend or relative involved.

Another thing to think about, look where you never expect it to be. The last couple weeks I've seen all types of creative caches from a phony apple to a cache designed to resemble the tree it's in. Think outside the box, take a step back and look around. Things are not always what they seem.

We are reasonably new to this ourselves. But we have already picked up on a few things that help us.

1) As you get close to your target according to your GPS, don't try looking ahead and going "I'll bet it's under that big tree." You'll find yourself fixating on the tree and missing other good hiding spots.

2) In college, I had a professor that wouldn't let us use our sliderules (Yes, Virginia, I said 'sliderules') until the last five minutes of the class. He claimed that as soon as you picked up the sliderule, you turned off your brain and used the sliderule to do things like multiply 2x3. Same thing applies here - consider that the GPS gets you close, then put it away and start looking around like many have already suggested.

3) When you do locate a cache, put your GPS over the cache and set a waypoint. Later, compare what your GPS said to what the cache owner gave for coordinates. Then you will see that you have two error factors, your GPSr plus the hider's GPSr, and some possible inaccuracy in the GPS system itself.

4) Don't forget this is supposed to be fun! B)

if it helps with suspense any we tried for our first cache today with no luck but a lot of theories for why the bugs only attacked my husband but neither any of the 3 kids nor me... apparently I am a reptile! (long story)

we're driving a bit of a distance from home tomorrow for a group outing and plan to try for a few 1 star caches cause the kids sure do want to win the treasure hunt! if we fail we're gonna have to go begging for trail guides!

Still smiling, but not successful.. :)

Yesterday went out on a hunt in local state park. had a nice hike, got to the location, started to POUR!!. Looked for a while, but the crowd that was with us decided they had had it for the day (we were 1.6 from our car), so walked back... (I would have stayed longer :D ).

Today went for a 1/1 hunt at a cemetery, wound up in a yard behind a car dealership...

i emailed the guy who found that cache most recently and basically begged him to share what I was doing wrong/ missing. Hope that will help me isolate whether i have the coordinates right so that I can tell if it is a navigational error (doubt) or a lack of knowledge/ finding it defect.. (suspect)

I liked the suggestion about a virtual cache...

thanks to all for help/support/ideas

G.

Another possibility could be that there is a problem with the GPS unit. It does actually happen; I don't know how or why. When I bought my first GPS, I went caching with another cacher, but we could not find a thing with my GPS. So, we fired up his GPS and when we were standing side by side, our GPS units were showing totally different coordinates. I don't know why it was. I traded my GPS for a new unit and have not had any problems since (at least not GPS problems :) ).

I would suggest finding someone with a GPS and see if the numbers are the same.

i had a Magellan GPS 310, and tried and tried to find anything with it. I was 0.00 km (smallest unit it could handle) from where it was and spent 2 hours wandering that area with now luck. Went back the next day with my friend's Sportrac Pro, and got within 2 feet of where the coords were, and there was the cache.

I didnt think equipment would make that big of a difference, but when you're looking for a dark brown medicine bottle under some rocks... well, I'll take all the help I can get.

note - I've only been doing this for about 2 weeks, and I just ordered a Garmin Etrex Legend yesterday, but I've used those on the trails too and they were nice.

I'm leaning toward the "there is something wrong with your GPS" theory. You shouldn't be having this much difficulty finding your first cache. I don't know if you answered this already but, what kind of GPS do you have? Maybe you need to initialize it again.

Edited by JMBella

I use a cheep, crappy M310 and I'd stake my life on its accuracy!! Has done me well for over 200 finds and 40 hides...There's something wrong with your unit, apparently--You must test it on a known location.Do it now!! We're all getting antzy about this. Hey here's an idea-- There's probably a benchmark or two very near you. You can find them from the description and check what your unit says vs. the description's coordinates...

There's probably a benchmark or two very near you. You can find them from the description and check what your unit says vs. the description's coordinates...

Be careful with this. Most old benchmarks have "scaled" coordinates. They will be very inaccurate.

If you try this method, you need to use a benchmark with "adjusted" coordinates.

Don't get frustrated. My wife and I went on our first hunt on Saturday. We found the location we just couldn't find the cache. I'm sure it was the location because all of the descriptions were the same. Ended up searching around a creek-bed in Northeast Indiana for an hour. Oh well, it was fun, and I'm stubborn so I can't wait to get back out!!

Well, I got another good hint.. I have been using UTM, as that is what the class I took recommended. BUT, was just advised that most use the lat/lon system. I am going to try entering the coordinates that way and going from there to see if it takes me to the same spot..

Thoughts?

G

Well, I got another good hint.. I have been using UTM, as that is what the class I took recommended. BUT, was just advised that most use the lat/lon system. I am going to try entering the coordinates that way and going from there to see if it takes me to the same spot..

Thoughts?

G

Whether its UTM or LAT/LONG in whatever form, it's still pointing to the same point on the earth... just in a different format.

That was my thought as well, (and what I thought the leader of my class told me), but the person who had found the cache prior to my looking, implied that the utm might have different errors.

In any regard - i drive past the location on the way to work, and will look for gross differences in the location when i have entered the coordinates in the different system...

G

:lol::o:D:D:D:D

Okay, you probably get the idea.. I found it!! I am really happy.

I must have messed up the settings on UTM, though I triple checked the UTM data that I entered and it was correct. When I entered the lat/lon I found the cache easily.

However, I don't want to say that the cache creator was inaccurate as I had the same problem at other caches, so I believe the fault must be with me.

Anyway, I am now officially hooked... obsessed even.

Thanks for all the support everybody!! :D

Another thing to keep in mind, at least that I've found (and I'm not much beyond newbie stage myself), is that the star rankings vary wildly in terms of what they mean.

I've gone to a 3/2 cache and found it within 5 minutes and spent 5+ times trying to find a 1/1 cache (and one 2/1 that I'm still! looking for - I hate micros :rolleyes: )

Getting a good GPS with a good antenna should help a lot. Also, don't get discouraged. I finally realized that I need to spread my cache searches in a more reasonable order. For example:

First cache attempt of the day 1/1 - to get warmed up.

Second cache attempt raise the bar to 2/2 or 2/3.

Third plus raise the bar some more to 3/3 and so on.

Then before I get really frustrated, close out the day with another 1/1 (I like to end with a success.)

Getting a good GPS with a good antenna should help a lot.

Unfortunately you don't know how good the GPSr of the cache placer was :rolleyes:

When placing a cache I like to walk away 50 feet or more, then come back and take another waypoint, and do this until I have five; then take the average. If someone thinks they've got 10 feet accuracy, then dives into the forest and marks a single waypoint when accuracy has dropped to 30 feet in the meantime, you can be in for a lot of searching.

Okay, you probably get the idea.. I found it!! I am really happy.

Anyway, I am now officially hooked... obsessed even.

Thanks for all the support everybody!! :blink:

Congratulations :rolleyes: !! Glad you got things worked out. Hope you have a great time with this amazing hobby...I'm still amazed at all of the parks that I didn't know even existed in my area.