I Want To Make A Really Tough Micro

quills

I want to make a 5 difficulty micro but no matter how hard i try our local cachers seem to find them easily. i should say our experienced cachers. these are the ones i'm looking to stump. we have one cacher approaching 1000 finds and 2 others with over 600. any ideas?

I've tought about that but they already use that idea along with extra small containers , really well comoflauged containers( I almost got one of them but they read my clue and found it right away). I'm about out of ideas, I would like to stump these guys but I'm not sure what else to try.

I've tought about that but they already use that idea along with extra small containers , really well comoflauged containers( I almost got one of them but they read my clue and found it right away). I'm about out of ideas, I would like to stump these guys but I'm not sure what else to try.

why not have a realy well camoflauges ultra micro cache that is really obvious I have a few ideas

If you do end up with a truely difficult micro, be prepared for the insults. We have a cache nearby that's a 5 micro. The hider has more than 800 finds. He's hidden several other really difficult micros. Well lately there have been some very experienced cachers looking, one has almost 1000 finds, and these have accused the hider of not having correct coordinates. The tone of some of the logs sound like they are saying that if they are unable to find the cache, it must not be there. No chance that it could be THEM.

Some of the logs are bad and apparently he's gotten e-mails that are worse. The messages I've read from him sound like he's ready to quit all together.

So, make the hide. Make it as difficult as you can possibly make it. Just be ready for someone to insult your GPS abilities and possibly accuse you of not really hiding it.

F_M

ok what are you're ideas? please e-mail me. i will give full credit. i've been trying for a couple of months now to stump these guys and everytime i think i've got a good one they find it easily. i do plan on giving any hints that are required to new cachers that look for it.

ok what are you're ideas? please e-mail me. i will give full credit. i've been trying for a couple of months now to stump these guys and everytime i think i've got a good one they find it easily. i do plan on giving any hints that are required to new cachers that look for it.

add the hints after the FTF, that way the experianced cachers have to work, if you give a hint, they will use it

My only advice when you find the perfect evil hide is to say "This cache is rated a 5 for difficulty, that means hard, as in if you find it you are the cache master and us caching worms are not fit to grovel at your feet. However if you get skunked you are but a worm and this cache is the fish hook of truth that rips through your soul"

Edited by Renegade Knight
Make a really small cache and put it out in the middle of the forest where you get really bad reception. 

Also include a really good clue like "tree".

well that would work but my idea is a little more fair

Well most ideas would be ;)

I forgot to add a goofy smiley at the end to indicate I was kidding ;)

Visual redirection is a magician's best friend.

Hide a huge ammo can that's poorly camo'd with the coords to a tiny micro hidden in another location.

yeah, it will get them into the "this will be easy" mode and then bang

my idea still sounds a lot easier, but I am not sure it will work were you are, but I am developing the idea anyway and will tell you later

"This cache is rated a 5 for difficulty, that means hard, as in if you find it you are the cache master and us caching worms are not fit to grovel at your feet. However if you get skunked you are but a worm and this cache is the fish hook of truth that rips through your soul"

RK, May I use that quote on a cache I'm about to place? I know how much you love micro's.

The tone of some of the logs sound like they are saying that if they are unable to find the cache, it must not be there. No chance that it could be THEM.

Fritz -- I think I know the cache you're talking about (LN4?). If so, I think the posts are not too bad. They do reflect some frustration, sure, but that's not unreasonable after hours of unsuccessful searching (with a very experienced team of cachers). Here are some of the questionable quotes:

"Coords may be the culprit here -- recommend a verification check to preserve the sanity of those who have gone away with no joy"

"Maybe someone needs to independently verify the coords."

It's not unreasonable to assume the coords might be off a bit, when you have 35 DNFs logged (and no finds yet). Anyway, I know some of the posters, and they're good folks -- I don't think they meant to insult the hider. In fact, they'll be the first to sing his praises once they find the cache. ;)

I'd be tempted to hide a bunch of really small micros in very difficult places, call it a mystery cache, and then put notes in most of them that say "Good try. This isn't it, but you're getting warmer".

Just found one recently that was just like that. It's great idea and was a blast hunting it. Took two cachers over 1 1/2 hours to find it. Actually we didn't even find it, we had help from the cache owner.

I want to make a 5 difficulty micro but no matter how hard i try our local cachers seem to find them easily. i should say our experienced cachers. these are the ones I'm looking to stump. we have one cacher approaching 1000 finds and 2 others with over 600. any ideas?

Now about the micros. I just started a series of Evil Micros. The first two are easy just to set the players up. The next few will be ridiculous. The caches will continue to get more an more difficult and more importantly, they will get smaller. The key is to try and be creative. Anyone can hide a film can in the middle of the forest among 50 downed trees. I try to make them look part of the environment, like they belong there. My problem is most of the regulars around here know I can be a little devious so they're already thinking outside the box when they get to the site. I have some ideas but I'll email them to you.

"This cache is rated a 5 for difficulty, that means hard, as in if you find it you are the cache master and us caching worms are not fit to grovel at your feet.  However if you get skunked you are but a worm and this cache is the fish hook of truth that rips through your soul"

RK, May I use that quote on a cache I'm about to place? I know how much you love micro's.

Just send me a hint under the table first. I'd hate to resemble the last part of that remark.

Want a rather sinister idea?? Get a bunch of small containers and make them obviously geocaches... cover them with camo tape, paint "geocache" on them, etc. Then, break a crack down the side of all but one of them. See where I'm going with this? Take the unbroken container and hide it well and include the log book. Take one of cracked containers and place it out in the open, nearby. People will find the cracked container and go home. When they inform you that the cache should be archived, revisit the spot, drop another cracked container nearby, and announce that, on your maintenance trip, you found the cache still there, exactly where it should have been!

:D:DB)

Quills, just find this cache, where I managed to stump the same two leading geocachers you're aiming at. Then duplicate that hide at every place where it can be repeated. They'll go nuts.

Send me $50 for blueprints if you can't get down to my neck of the woods (aka "Microcache Alley").

Anyways, it IS possible. None of us find all of 'em. Keep trying!!!!

B):D:D LMAO!! You know what I love about that the most. You stumped multiple 100 plus cachers, a 600 plus cacher, two 900 plus cachers and a cacher with 5 finds bags it. Very, very nice. I only wish I was closer to you.

Want a rather sinister idea?? Get a bunch of small containers and make them obviously geocaches... cover them with camo tape, paint "geocache" on them, etc. Then, break a crack down the side of all but one of them. See where I'm going with this? Take the unbroken container and hide it well and include the log book. Take one of cracked containers and place it out in the open, nearby. People will find the cracked container and go home. When they inform you that the cache should be archived, revisit the spot, drop another cracked container nearby, and announce that, on your maintenance trip, you found the cache still there, exactly where it should have been!

:DB)B)

That's the most evil idea I've ever heard!!!

Um, can I use it?? :D

My only advice when you find the perfect evil hide is to say "This cache is rated a 5 for difficulty, that means hard, as in if you find it you are the cache master and us caching worms are not fit to grovel at your feet. However if you get skunked you are but a worm and this cache is the fish hook of truth that rips through your soul"

That's a good one, RK. :D

Quills, just find this cache, where I managed to stump the same two leading geocachers you're aiming at. Then duplicate that hide at every place where it can be repeated. They'll go nuts.

Yeah and now that the finder posted where it is in their log, the 6 people who have it on their watch list can go log it. :D

Well lately there have been some very experienced cachers looking, one has almost 1000 finds, and these have accused the hider of not having correct coordinates. The tone of some of the logs sound like they are saying that if they are unable to find the cache, it must not be there. No chance that it could be THEM.

Gives me a new shirt idea:

If you can't hang with the big dogs...

...Question the coordinates.

142733_600.jpg

I was thinking of doing an underwater cache like this.

The only thing visible would be a an eyelet screwed into a tree at water level with a small black cord going off into the water. Since the cache floats and is only being held underwater by the weight, once the cacher finds the eyelet and unclips the cord, the cache would simply float to the surface and can easily be pulled in.

142733_600.jpg

I was thinking of doing an underwater cache like this.

The only thing visible would be a an eyelet screwed into a tree at water level with a small black cord going off into the water. Since the cache floats and is only being held underwater by the weight, once the cacher finds the eyelet and unclips the cord, the cache would simply float to the surface and can easily be pulled in.

well that was one of my ideas, but I still have another I will email later, just as soon as I hit 2000posts

No,

Just like how the drawing shows, the cord is tied in a big loop like a clothesline. After the cacher is finished he / she just pulls the cord the other way and the cache will be pulled back under the water. They simply then reattach the clip and call it a find.

I'd be tempted to hide a bunch of really small micros in very difficult places, call it a mystery cache, and then put notes in most of them that say "Good try. This isn't it, but you're getting warmer".

We have one local cacher who introduced the bison tube 20' up a tree concept to this area. At his 1000th find event cache we created a Christmas Tree of 25 capsules, each with one part of the coords to the next stage, or blank. He then had the decipher the hint to proceed. It was memorialized as the Tis the Season Cache

I can't tell you how these are hidden as I've only found one. But this cacher has stumped some of the best in the Northwest many times over.

I have this one that is stumping about a third of the people who attempt it. (They havn't all logged but I've been getting emails asking for hints)

The key is to think outside the box. If you are in an area and see several good obvious hiding spots, put it somewhere else. A little misdirection is also good. Take one of those obvious spots and make it look like something was there. Cover it with parallel sticks or an unusual pile of rocks or what ever you normal hide method is. Then hide the container somewhere else with out using those normal camo methods.

The tone of some of the logs sound like they are saying that if they are unable to find the cache, it must not be there.  No chance that it could be THEM.

Fritz -- I think I know the cache you're talking about (LN4?). If so, I think the posts are not too bad. They do reflect some frustration, sure, but that's not unreasonable after hours of unsuccessful searching (with a very experienced team of cachers). Here are some of the questionable quotes:

"Coords may be the culprit here -- recommend a verification check to preserve the sanity of those who have gone away with no joy"

"Maybe someone needs to independently verify the coords."

It's not unreasonable to assume the coords might be off a bit, when you have 35 DNFs logged (and no finds yet). Anyway, I know some of the posters, and they're good folks -- I don't think they meant to insult the hider. In fact, they'll be the first to sing his praises once they find the cache. :D

That's the one. It may not be meant as an insult, but the hider has taken it as such. A read over the previous logs would show that there have been at least 11 GPSr's that point to the same place. Also, the hider is pretty experienced, 800 finds, so it's a bit less likely that he'd have the wrong coordinates.

I think the logs are the least of the issues here, there have apparently been e-mails sent to him that indicate that he's the one at fault, not the searcher. It's in the presentation. It's rated as a 5 star for a reason. It's VERY hard.

F_M

edited to remove "emotional outburst"

P.S. This cache was found today.

Edited by Fritz_Monroe

One thing to keep in mind. If you are going to go "Evil" make sure your coords are dead on. We had a local hide a new "impossible" cache in heavy cedar woods. We went after it once it had six no finds, we hunted two hours and did not find it. I logged the no find and asked about the coords. The owner went and checked on the cache, posted back and gave me a hard time. The same situation mentioned earlier, "Just because you can't find it, doesn't mean the coords are off", kind of stuff. We went back, another no find. Another cacher emailed the owner and told them that they were going to hunt it and would the owner like to join them. The owner did and wanted to know why they were hunting in that area. The coords were 380 feet off, in heavy cedar woods. We went back with the new coords and found it in under ten minutes. When he rechecked the cache, he just verified that it was there, he did not check his coords. The real kicker is that when searching the first time, we spiral searched out and when we finally threw in the towel we were less than twenty feet from the cache.

Consequently, we no longer hunt this hider's caches until someone else has found them first. No point being the FTHP@TWC. (First to hunt pointlessly @ the wrong coordinates.)

Edited by Monkeybrad

I'd have a hard time considering a single micro a level 5 difficulty, no matter how hard you hide it.

We just put out a cache locally -- here is my idea of a level 4.5 difficulty (not a 5, mind you):

COMBAT

This one involves solving a code, hiking about 6 miles in terrain with hardly any established trails, finding eight (8) very well hidden ammo cans, not getting fooled by trick clues inside some of the cans, and walking across stumps and logs to cross a swamp.