The Geocaching Magazine

interview someone from garmin. i just saw an item on bbc news about use of gps. it played up how good it is to do the prime coordinates then on comes this idiot from garmin who wrote off the geocaching with a meaningless oh it's serching for lunch boxes in the woods. way to go promoting the use of their own products.

be good for them to see what the sport really involves.

I like the idea of good writers submitting adventure stories. I love to read about what the caching experience is like in other parts of the country (and world!). For example, I understand there's an up and coming community of those serving in Iraq who are geocaching... That would make for a great story.

I also think that a collection of tips from the uber-hiders would make for an interesting article. There are some really creative folks out there and they might have interesting thoughts on hiding caches.

How about a tutorial on making the most of EasyGPS, as well as some of the attractive features of ExpertGPS... I have enjoyed using expertGPS, and I think a quick tutorial would be useful.

Maybe a CITO of the month could become a new part of Geocaching... Before and after pictures, or somethign to that effect. If it tied into the GC.com cache logs maybe there could be a field for CITO (yes or no) when you log a find. A top CITO list could be published each month in the magazine.

Hmmm - more ideas keep coming! Featured regional organization of the month woudl be nice to read about. What cool things have been done by regional GC lucbs that could be leveraged by other clubs gettgin started?

Some nature tips woud be cool - identifying birds / trees...

I'll stop rambling now :D I love the monthly magazine and would love to see it keep growing!

Crap, you beat me to the swimsuit edition suggestion.

Ummm, I think maybe if you had a section for idiot of the month, about the most recent geocide that would be cool.

But I think what would be coolest would be a section about dogs. I don't know what exactly, maybe a profile on a caching dog/handler team each month or something like that would be cool...

Carleen's "Life of a cache" story. Actually a monthly coulmn by her would be nice. Some fiction, some fact, some family caching stuff, some legal notes and how to deal with officals stuff.

Honestly, I'd be a lot more tempted to subscribe if she was a monthly columnist.

"CACHER OF THE MONTH"-interview a cacher, post their pic and tell us a bit about them, what types of caches they prefer to hunt/hide, type of GPS they use, how long they have been caching, etc.....

"CACHE OF THE MONTH"-each month, contact a cacher in a different state and have them send in photos and a description of a challenging cache in their area.

"STEALTH TIPS"-a list of how-to-be-stealthy when taking or replacing a cache in plain view, with input from various experienced cachers.

"CACHER OF THE MONTH"-interview a cacher, post their pic and tell us a bit about them, what types of caches they prefer to hunt/hide, type of GPS they use, how long they have been caching, etc.....

"CACHE OF THE MONTH"-each month, contact a cacher in a different state and have them send in photos and a description of a challenging cache in their area.

Good Idea.

Take away Criminal’s psychiatrist-prescribed medications for at least a week before allowing him to write.

We already do that. :D

...and I was thinking that it would be cool to be able to have an email subscription to it so that I wouldn't miss a copy of it. Hey, it's already in pdf...

Thinking about it..may happen.

Carleen's "Life of a cache" story. Actually a monthly coulmn by her would be nice. Some fiction, some fact, some family caching stuff, some legal notes and how to deal with officals stuff.

Honestly, I'd be a lot more tempted to subscribe if she was a monthly columnist.

Carleen is permanent member of the Today's Cacher team. She will write articles for every issue.

Are you guys gunna have a swinsuit edition? If you are Im 5'10" @ 278 lbs  and I would love to be in it in my speedo holding my garmin ledgend. 

Don't call us...we'll call you! :wub:

Hmmm - more ideas keep coming! Featured regional organization of the month woudl be nice to read about. What cool things have been done by regional GC lucbs that could be leveraged by other clubs gettgin started?

It will be a regular feature in the magazine.

I would like to see sample lesson plans that cachers have used in the classroom to teach geocaching and orienteering

This will fall under Carleens section for Geocaching and kids.

Thanks for all the suggestions, and keep them coming. We are working hard to bring you the articles that you would like to see.

El Diablo

Edited by El Diablo

How about a "Tip of the Month" aimed at Newbies (a how-to piece)...

Caching-related Product Reviews (GPS, software, etc.)

Product of the Month from the Grounspeak store (i.e., discount merchandise...)

Story about a geocache event someplace featuirng the cachers...

Links to related sites

My 2 scents worth...

"Bassmedic"

As El Diablo said, I am a member of the Today's Cacher staff. I have been meaning to submit my "life of a cache" story. I'll do that. :D

How about tips and pointers in setting up a geo event.

Also ways to get more people involved in geocaching. I live in an area with few caches and in my opinion not many people know about geocaching here. But I don't want to inform people about it that can possibly become muggles.

Tips to help county, and state conservation boards develop policies. My neighboring county believes that geocachers are going to interfere with hunters and tick them off, so they are thinking of not allowing it.

I used to subscribe to a SCUBA magazine several years ago (I forget the exact name, it was one of the more popular ones). They always had a one-page article on the last page which I really enjoyed. It was called something like "I Learned About Diving That Way".

The point of the article was for the author to describe a dive he or she made in which something went wrong. Usually this resulted in a dangerous, even life-threatening experience. The idea of course was to highlight certain things divers need to be aware of, and how to avoid the mistake, or perhaps recover from it if it ever happens to you. Made for interesting reading; I can still recall years later some of the specific tips I learned just from reading the article one time.

Geocaching is not at all a dangerous hobby. (Though multi-day camping trips, encounters with predators, and level 5 caches can certainly get your blood pumping sometimes). :D Still, there are a lot of things we can learn from each others experiences, and sometimes learning from someone else's mistakes is an easier way to do it.

So that's my suggestion -- steal the SCUBA idea, and let's hear some stories of geocaching nightmares. :wub:

-BeachBuddies

Edited by BeachBuddies

Get some interviews and updates for famous cachers and hiders such as BruceS, WaldenRun, OtisPug, and CCCooperAgency.

Have some reviews on new equipment and software - Garmin 60C and 60CS, the latest ExpertGPS, CacheMate, etc.

Get highlights from various caching events around the country such as the "Here Come the Raisins" event in Las Vegas.

Show some cache density maps - today compared to 2 or 3 years ago.

And something special for the April issue to tweak newbies.

Anything along these lines would provide some excellent "historical context" :

... today compared to 2 or 3 years ago ...

Many magazines do some sort of "Twenty Years Ago Today" type of column, and I often find them very enteratining and informative. Well, it'd be "Twenty Months Ago Today" for us :D:wub: but it would still be fun and it would give you leeway to choose whatever topic you want to focus on within a column like that (Whether it's a certain cacher, a dangerous situation, a very difficult cache, kids, or any other ideas people have listed above).

I would like to see a section featuring ideas for clever containers and how to construct them. What materials work best, avoid glass...etc.

I would also like to see a colum that reviews GPS receivers and gives the pros and cons of certain models. Sort of like a comparison between models.

A suggestion I have is maybe try to get a short interview with Wil Wheaton (Groundskeeperwillie on here). A story about a celebrity geocacher might be kinda cool.

Good idea. I have contacted him and received a positive response. So look for it in an up comming issue.

El Diablo

One thing I would like to see is a puzzler section. Where someone could send in a puzzle from a cache and get help or just think up a hard one and send it in ;).

By the way I have a few Hamster/Gerbal Recipes if you would like them :o

Edited by 4x4luv

Ah-ha ! Another thought.

What to do when you encounter wild animals such as deer, coyote, bears, poisonous snakes, etc...

That would be useful for many cachers.

Also, dangers of geo-caching such as heat stroke or exhaustion.

What a marvelous idea you have, and a useful addition to the caching community.

Is this magazine online, or is it a real mag ?

I want a subscription.

:bad:

I found a dead body just south of Vegas.

I would be happy to write an article as a guest writer about it, and dealing with the authorities. Just say the word.

:bad:

We would be happy to hear your story. You can send it to myself or go to the magazine at Today's Cacher and at the bottom of every page is a "contact us" or a "Submit an article". You can click on either of these to send us your story.

Thanks for the interest.

El Diablo

MIDWEST INVITATIONAL GEOCACHING COMPETITION

As for me I vote for the Great Time we had this weekend.

I learned alot about team work and friendship.

We were suppose to be in a singles event and we ended up completing it as a Team we dubbed the A TEAM.

2,3,4th place got sidetracked the first day hunting the extra caches instead of thinking about the time,we also got a benchmark of the PLSS,had a photo shoot,and even had time to practice CITO.

phantom491 won the GEO*Signal award for the first to be seen picking up trash.

The next day 1,2,3,4 caught each other in the field and competed and completed as a team.

A TEAM Rocks. see the pictures.

If you would like me to write some more give me a jingle.

One thing I would like to see is a puzzler section. Where someone could send in a puzzle from a cache and get help or just think up a hard one and send it in ;).

By the way I have a few Hamster/Gerbal Recipes if you would like them :bad:

That might be an interesting thing to do...but only with the cache owners permission.

El Diablo