New To The Game

Zeus982

Interesting enough, I was watching a program on the Travel Channel about an hour ago, and number 6 on their countdown for the worlds best lost treasures was geocaching. Something I had never heard of it. I immediatly went online, found this place, and signed up. I have always been interested in hiking and "treasure hunting" and I'll be joining the Navy soon so I figured I better be able to tell what direction im facing :) , plus this seems like a lot of fun. I've never bought a GPS unit before, but Im hoping that I can borrow one from my college. If not, I'll just buy a relatively cheap one. Anyway, just wanted to say hey, and if you have any tips for me, that would be great!

Hey! Welcome! Geocaching is fun as hell. You will find yourself always wanting to go find more, just because it's there. Do some research, and read these threads, and you will find a lot of info on which GPS to buy. One is pretty much as good as the next, though I am a Magellan guy myself. Anyways, have fun!

Thanks guys. I'll have to check out the Magellan brand as well. I got plenty of time. I wont be going to OCS till after I graduate college, and Im a sophmore right now. Again, thanks for the welcome. Just found out there is a cache in the park behind my neighborhood that is along one of the trails I frequent when Im home on the weekend. lol

If you've got a little extra to put in your budget, you might think about a Garmin etrex Legend. That's what I've got... it comes with a cable so you can link up to your comp and download info, which is invaluable after a while. You won't believe how tired you get of manually entering waypoints. Plus, it's a nifty blue color that is ever so stylish! :)

I have the etrex legend and I love it. A buddy of mine has been geocaching for 2 years with the basic yellow etrex and he finds caches with it with no problem. He does have to enter waypoints manually but he does not mind. After finding a bunch of caches if you decide that entering them manually is too much of a pain, I believe that you can buy the cable later. :)

Edited: because I went brain dead

Edited by Mastifflover

Another vote for the Legend. I love mine! You can hook it up to your PC and download waypoints with ease.

Also, it has base maps which come in quite handy...and you can always get Garmin software to add more to your maps. I have Mapsource roads and rec....and also Metroguide. They come in handy when I am in unfamiliar territory (driving to a cache in a town I've never been to!).

I got mine for $150.00. You can always buy new ones on ebay too and save a little extra.

Welcome. I'm from the Magellan side of the house, but from what I've read on them there's really not that big of a differance. Go hold some and one will feel right. For me, the Garmins didn't feel comfortable to me and I didn't like the little stick thing. Magellan felt right and I like that it keeps the name of the cache also.

I was in the Navy also. Aviation Electronics on the USS Forrestal. The Mighty FID!

Get started and when you get to your first ship, take it with you and pick up some caches overseas.

F_M

I'm with the Legend people. It's a great starter mapping unit. Add Mapsource Topo later on to make it even more useful. The Legend was my first unit. I've since upgraded to the Vista and have a Gecko 201 as a backup.

You can probably find the Legend for as little as $160 if you shop around. The basic eTrex is a good, inexpensive unit and I've seen it for $89. The only thing is that the Legend comes with a data cable as standard (a $30 add on for the basic model), which is a very useful accessory. It allows you to download hundreds of cache waypoints to your GPS with a few mouse clicks, instead of keying each one in by hand, which can be a tedious process if you're adding more than one or two.

I just recently got the Gecko 201 and really like it. It's priced a little higher than the basic eTrex, but is very compact and extremely easy to use. I didn't even have to read the owners manual and figured it out. It even has a mapping capability of sorts (not real mapping, but it does show your tracks and position in relation to the waypoint), which I don't think the basic eTrex has. The data cable is an add on for the Gecko as well. Avoid the Gecko 101 because though its very inexpensive, there is no data cable port on it.

Edited by briansnat

I'm a Magellan fan, myself, but as previously stated, either brand is pretty much as good as the other. I use a SporTrak Pro, while I got an E-Trex yellow for my 11 yr old son. Both work great for geocaching. I did, however, get a cable for the E-Trex (Actually, I made an adapter to go from my SporTrak's cable to the E-Trex). Like said, go down and actually hold a few and see what "feels" good to you. My first unit was a Magellan 315, and when it finally died, I almost got the Garmin Legend, but after holding it and the Magellan SporTrak Pro, the ST got the nod. It just "felt right". And I second the idea to purchase at least one step up from the basic model if you can afford it, the base maps come in really handy and the PC cord is invaluable.

I'm in the Legend camp. Love it.

But, I don't think you'll go wrong either way.

What I would suggest though, is to buy the one that is more than you think you need. You'll soon find that it is just what you needed (maybe slightly less). I can all but guarantee you that if you buy the one you think you need, it definately won't be enough soon.

Interesting enough, I was watching a program on the Travel Channel about an hour ago, and number 6 on their countdown for the worlds best lost treasures was geocaching. Something I had never heard of it. I immediatly went online, found this place, and signed up. I have always been interested in hiking and "treasure hunting" and I'll be joining the Navy soon so I figured I better be able to tell what direction im facing :blink: , plus this seems like a lot of fun. I've never bought a GPS unit before, but Im hoping that I can borrow one from my college. If not, I'll just buy a relatively cheap one. Anyway, just wanted to say hey, and if you have any tips for me, that would be great!

What is the name of the show? I would like to record it. It may come in handy when trying to explain Geocaching to new people.

Thanks in advance

Wow. Thanks for all the replies everyone. This has really helped with my decision about which unit to buy. As I explained before, Im a college student which equals poor lol, so I think I'm gonna buy an eTrex this weekend. Also, someone from this site who lives in my area (Atlanta) has offered to sell me a used Eagle Expedition II for $20. So I'll get both units and see which one I like better. Also, I noticed a professor at my college was posting on here so I emailed her about borrowing some units, and as she teaches a course in my major, it looks like I'll be able to borrow one. Im not sure which unit it is, but she said they are $400 units, so they have to be good. LOL. Again, thanks for all the suggestions.

P.S. I tried to find a cache that I discovered was on my campus in a nature trail. I didn't have a GPS unit (this was yesterday) so I basically wonedered along the trail looking for the clue. Didnt work well. :blink:

UPDATE!!!!!

Found my first cache today at the part I mentioned earlier. Oh yeah, I ended up buying a Magellan SporTrak. Anyway, it was relatively easy since I knew where the park is located to begin with. I'll need to familiarize myself with the features as time goes on so I can find a waypoint easier. But all in all, it was FUN! :rolleyes:

UPDATE!!!!!

Found my first cache today at the part I mentioned earlier. Oh yeah, I ended up buying a Magellan SporTrak. Anyway, it was relatively easy since I knew where the park is located to begin with. I'll need to familiarize myself with the features as time goes on so I can find a waypoint easier. But all in all, it was FUN!  :P

Do yourself a favor, keep your receipt handy, loosen the screws just a bit, and keep your eye on the plastic near the screws. I think if you back them out a bit you should be OK.

Read these threads for more info on why I say this.

SporTrack stress cracks

calling all SporTrack owners

have you contacted....

Do not get me wrong, the SporTrack series GPSr's are great, very user friendly, and you do not have to take out a second mortgage to buy one. I am just trying to give you the heads up. Please do not get buyers remorse and feel like you made a bad choice, you did not. They are great units.

welcome to the addiction, you should have a great time.

Hello...totally new to this and need to get GPS. I need to find one that is about $150 and will not need it for anything other than to play this "game".

Found out about this from a completely un-related group and they're having a great time with it.

any info would be appreciated

Thanks for any help.

YAz

(hope i posted right)

If you spend a bit more money than what an entry level unit costs, you will be happy you did it later. My recommendation is a Garmin Legend. It has base maps of the USA that show up behind the display when you are following your travel, it has a large amount of memory, and it is very well built. I have dropped mine several times, had it submerged underwater, etc.....and it functions perfectly. Garmin also is fantastic for support. I had a problem two weeks ago with one of the control buttons -- I mailed it to them with a note, after talking to a tech rep on the phone, and it was fixed and back to me in 4 days. No cost, since it was only 10 months old. They did not even ask me to have a reciept. These units are listed at $199 and up, but if you search the web, you can buy one for $159, which is just $19 more than the next unit down, the Venture -- and you get many more features. Also fits nicely in your hand, and you can get a handy belt holder at Wal Mart for about eight bucks. Welcome -- hope you continue to enjoy the sport.