Do Any Of You Set Goals For Your Caching??

hobo dude

I am just wondering if anybody out there sets goals or things they would like to accomplish? I am starting to travel and I am starting to think that I would like to try to find at least one cache in every state/province on the mainland. Just wondering if there any others out there that do this as well? Maybe all the caches in their particular state, maybe a certain number of different countries? just wondering if their is any other motivation other than sheer fun. [:-0] :D

Setting goals for a hobby is a little obsessive compulsive for me. No offense intended. I just want to have fun.

Now Cindy is the OC person in the team and she had goals that were based on the old stats page. She would see who was in front of us on the leader board and we would cache until we passed them.

I actually think that the folks in front of us ended up brainwashing Jeremy to make him so anti-stats in order to keep us at bay. :D JK about them wanting to keep us at bay.

Goals and objectives are things that I have to set for my job. When I set them for my hobbies (for me) they cease to be fun. I don't want to feel obligated to seek a cache or reach a certain number of finds by a self-imposed deadline.

I also spend a fair amount of my time woodworking and woodturning, giving away pretty much everything I make, but for the same reasons I will not take commissions or perform custom work for friends or relatives. Of course, when it comes to SWMBO, I make exceptions. ;)

When I have time on my hands, I don't want to feel obligated to chase a cache or turn a salad bowl - I want to have the freedom to do what I'm in the mood for at that moment.

I can see, however, how some people would like that extra challenge of setting and achieving self-imposed goals. I'm just not one of them. :D

Yes, in fact many cachers do. The reason statistics are found on a person's profile page, is because many cachers wanted to compete with others, and have a way to track the progress of their competition.

I have acheived on of my goals, 100 finds within a year's time. Now I'm shooting for 100 physical finds. I probably won't make that one before January, but it will happen eventually. But, I'm not presently engaged in competition with anyone. (That doesn't mean someone else's goal might not be to catch up to, or stay ahead of my finds.)

By setting goals for myself I end up making caching a competition against myself. It also becomes a great excuse to force me to take time off for some fun and exercise (which I have to be forced to do from time to time).

My first goal was 100 caches by the end of last year. I didn't do that, so I reset it to 100 caches by the end of my first year of caching (February 12, 2003...I think). My second goal was 200 by 6 months later (which I did with one day to spare), and my third goal was 300 before the end of the year, which I did last week.

I promised myself a new geocaching hat if I met that goal. I guess that means I have to pay up. :D

Bret

The numbers mean little to me, but I do have a very modest personal goal of one cache per week. I set this goal shortly after I started caching in December 2001. I have 102 caches which is right on my goal. I find that this simple goal becomes a little reminder for me to make time to cache. Once in awhile I find that I get a little behind my average, and then it seem easier to justify to myself to get out and go look for a cache, even though I have a million other things to do.

My goal is to place a lot of quality caches in interesting places and introduce people to areas that they might not have discovered, but for geocaching.

I also try to place caches for every type of geocacher, so I also have a goal of placing a lot of totally lameo caches as well. They tend to be the most popular.

After placing my caches, my goal is to maintain them and respond as soon as I can to reported problems.

Edited by briansnat

My current goal is to find and hide at least one of every cache type. I like having all the different icons on my profile page ;)

Just got my first Letterbox Hybrid a couple days ago, and I'm hiding my own next week. I really need to find a Geo-coin though.. I don't even know what it is, but I know you get a special icon for it! :D

My first goal was to find 100 caches in my first 2 months. Check. Next goal was to find 200 by the end of the year. Check. Jan. 2nd I'm driving down to FLA. My goal is to find at least 1 or 2 caches in every state on the way down. Next goal will be to find 400 caches in 1 year. I have until June 30th. Wait... Thats too easy. Make that 500 caches. Yep, 500 caches by June 30th. Some people are the competative type, some aren't. Everyone gets something different out of geocaching. To some it's a hobby or a past time, for others it's a sport. Sometimes I wish I could just relax and not care about the stats, but that's not me. It took me 1 month, 29 days to find 100. I would have been really dissapointed if I didn't reach my goal, but reaching it was an awsome fealing. Oh yea, I also have a goal to hide 40 caches by June 30th also. I'm up to 23. :D

I am just wondering if anybody out there sets goals or things they would like to accomplish? I am starting to travel and I am starting to think that I would like to try to find at least one cache in every state/province on the mainland. Just wondering if there any others out there that do this as well? Maybe all the caches in their particular state, maybe a certain number of different countries? just wondering if their is any other motivation other than sheer fun. [:-0] ;)

Well, actually... I've been resetting goals as I go along.

My first one was to hit 100 before Christmas. 71 caches later, I'm hoping to reach 200 before the end of the year.

Then, I was reading about Bruce S, and while I certainly don't aspire to his level of greatness (he's far more organized about this than I am) I noticed he logged 300 finds in his first 148 days. THAT's my new goal. 300 finds in 148 days, although I may push it out to 150 just because it sounds better.

As of today I've got 171 logged in 77 days. I've got 77 days to pick up another 129 caches.

Not quite sure I can do it - I'm travelling about 75 miles or so, one way, to cache now and this month is SO packed full of goodies that don't involve caching it's gonna take it's toll.

So yeah, I have goals. They are mine alone, not dependant on what anyone else is doing and it just adds an extra little oomph to my get-out-and-go. Nobody appreciates them but me and I won't be too upset if I miss out on the 300 by 148. :D

But I'm gonna TRY!

After that, who knows!

-=-

michelle

My Goal is for the caches I create and place to be considered Jewels of the Region. Meaning, I want the cachers who look at my current placements or see new ones I put out to think..."Oh man, it's a DirtRunner cache, he always has the coolest caches. Hurry! let's go!"

I want the people who find my caches to enjoy themselves to the point that they recommend them to others.

DirtRunner

The first goal I set was to reach 300 cache finds by the end of my first year of caching. I made it on the anniversary weekend, but not on the exact day. Then I wanted to reach 500 finds by the end of 2003. We're at 545 so I can take the rest of the year off (yeah, right). Now my goals are not focused on total find count. I would like to find 50 caches in one day. So far I keep peaking out at 44, which I've reached three times.

The only goals I set for myself are to find the caches I'm going after, and I sometimes set a find count that I want to make as a personal challenge to myself. If I'm going to a remote area to cache and have a number of caches in the area to seek, I'll give myself a personal goal of caches to find just to see if I can do it. It has no other purpose than to add that EXTRA level of excitement to the sport.

For example, I had planned on finding a series of 13 along the I17 corridor in addition to hiking in/out of the area I was planning on placing a cache yesterday. However, due to unforeseen circumstances (read my thread in the worst nightmare thread in the Unusual forum for the reason why), I was only able to bag 3 cache finds out of the group I planned to do, none of which were part of the 13 I was going for.

since i live in a state that has all 4 seasons, and both urban and wilderness areas, my goals are to, not get lyme disease, west nile virus, a broken hip from slipping on the ice, mugged, eaten by a bear, attacked by a pitbull, stopped for suspicious behaviour by the cops, and any other weird things that can happen to you while geocaching. of course, i don't live in a utopia, so i take what i can get a day at a time and love it. :P

My goal is after Jan 1, to find at least 1 cache per weekend. But who just finds one, it's addictive. Once u pop u cant stop. Right now it's to try and get 300 before the end of the year. I plan on getting about 25 more here around town and then about 25 or so in hawaii. I could get it, but I dunno!!!!

"If i were tupperware, where would I hide? Think like tupperware!!!"

I have been trying to get my find count in MA to exceed the number of currently listed caches in the state. Right NOW, the listed count is 891 and I have found 890!

Sixteen (16) of those listed are my caches so I won't find them.

There are still 101 caches left for me to find in MA.

-WR